Still battling 1.2>3.0 upgrade

Hi,

Well, it's been six months and I still haven't got it.  What I have gotten
good at is moving SQL databases around and restoring from backup images.
I've gotten that down to under 25 minutes for both the system and CRM+CRM
website drives.  Us newbies just beat our heads against the box until it
breaks, restore, read, read, read and try again.

First it was the ImportDefaultDataAction failure, then the
GrantDatabaseAccessAction failure, now I am hitting a
UpgradeCustomizationsAction failure, Object reference not set to an instance
of the object, sheesh.

I've learned how to run the SQL cleanup scripts in Query Analyser and also
changed the db owner.  That seems to have solved the GrantDatabaseAccess
error as it appears the upgrade tool did not like that the dbo was
(servername$), so changed the dbo to SQLADMIN.

Looked through the crm30srvrsetup logs, wow, really big.  Pushed print once,
oops, 2900+ pages.  Printed 300 pages before I could stop the printer.

Now with the UpgradeCustomizations thing, Object reference not set to an
instance of the object?

I've tried MS Support and they burned me on one of the two requests you get
when you buy the SBE server license, without solving the problem.  I'm still
upset they closed the case in a few days without it being solved.  I'll not
try that again.

I do have several boolean buttons added to both the contacts and accounts,
with new tabs for them both.  Stuff like "gets holiday gift",  I did
"manually" remove an orphaned user not in AD from the tables.

Will continue to bang head against box.

Thanks for any help or insight,
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Just so you know..you can re-open a case with MS support if the issue is
still outstanding. In particular they may soft close a case if they have not
heard from you and were expecting a response

==============================
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP
http://www.crowechizek.com/microsoft

"E. Palmer" <EPalmer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Well, it's been six months and I still haven't got it.  What I have gotten
> good at is moving SQL databases around and restoring from backup images.
> I've gotten that down to under 25 minutes for both the system and CRM+CRM
> website drives.  Us newbies just beat our heads against the box until it
> breaks, restore, read, read, read and try again.
>
> First it was the ImportDefaultDataAction failure, then the
> GrantDatabaseAccessAction failure, now I am hitting a
> UpgradeCustomizationsAction failure, Object reference not set to an
> instance
> of the object, sheesh.
>
> I've learned how to run the SQL cleanup scripts in Query Analyser and also
> changed the db owner.  That seems to have solved the GrantDatabaseAccess
> error as it appears the upgrade tool did not like that the dbo was
> (servername$), so changed the dbo to SQLADMIN.
>
> Looked through the crm30srvrsetup logs, wow, really big.  Pushed print
> once,
> oops, 2900+ pages.  Printed 300 pages before I could stop the printer.
>
> Now with the UpgradeCustomizations thing, Object reference not set to an
> instance of the object?
>
> I've tried MS Support and they burned me on one of the two requests you
> get
> when you buy the SBE server license, without solving the problem.  I'm
> still
> upset they closed the case in a few days without it being solved.  I'll
> not
> try that again.
>
> I do have several boolean buttons added to both the contacts and accounts,
> with new tabs for them both.  Stuff like "gets holiday gift",  I did
> "manually" remove an orphaned user not in AD from the tables.
>
> Will continue to bang head against box.
>
> Thanks for any help or insight,

0
John
9/6/2006 3:49:22 AM
Hi Mr. O'Donnell,

But if they hard closed it after about 10 days and say that they "provided
the solution" and I was not able to implement or even try their solution in
time for the deadline for closing the case, would they re-open that?  At the
time I did not have the ability to atttempt a restore, fail and get back to
base in about an hour like I do now.  I was still restoring a large data
drive + 15gb system drive from images and I could not risk that unless it was
an overnight job, which would not happen on a weekday.  They were not about
to wait around and leave the case open for the couple weekends it would have
taken me to get up to speed on SQL cleanup scripts and other things.  I felt
shutdown and have not really gotten going on this until the summer, this was
in March.  Now, finally I have mail, sql data+crm website, company specific
data, system and sharepoint/moniter data all on separate physical and/or
logical drives so I can restore any one thing from a drive image.  This being
SBS 2003 these things are not split out by default, so it takes us new guys
some time to learn this.

I can at least ask I suppose.  But when confronted with these errors the
first time they took the easy way out and said to go the data migration
route, and walking me through that certainly isn't going to be included in
the support tag.  If I were to start another request based on these other
errors, they would do the same thing and very likely strike out my last CRM
support allowance.  I don't see how I can win here.

Sincerely,

E. Palmer

"John O'Donnell" wrote:

> Just so you know..you can re-open a case with MS support if the issue is
> still outstanding. In particular they may soft close a case if they have not
> heard from you and were expecting a response
>

> ==============================
> John O'Donnell
> Microsoft CRM MVP
> http://www.crowechizek.com/microsoft

ALT + ENTER #2
I cant seem to figure out what pressing both ALT + ENTER does. I am working on a spreadsheet, and Im supposed to click on a cell and put my cursor before a certain word in the cell, and press ALT + ENTER. I know its supposed to show only the word after the cursor, but its not doing that...it does nothing at all. Help! It will insert a carriage return, so if you have xxxxx xxxx and you put the cursor between the 2 strings and do alt + enter it will change to xxxxx xxxx -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Heather" <heather.l.nelson@sfcc.edu> wrote in message news:276CFDD9-6612-47...

new message window (Microsoft Word) opens 1/2 way!
When we go to compose a new message in Outlook 20000, the window only opens up 1/2 way and we have to maximize it. There have been a few times that the window will open up all the way but not sure if there is either a regestry setting or local setting that would control this feature??? Thanks! On hands and knees, Paul crawls to SilverRaven and begs: >When we go to compose a new message in Outlook 20000, the >window only opens up 1/2 way and we have to maximize it. >There have been a few times that the window will open up >all the way but not sure if there is either a re...

XML Schema validation #2
Datetime field validation failed on fields with null data, why is that? Should I use this nillable="true" tricks in Schema? Thanks, Lenny Lenny Woodbridge wrote: > Datetime field validation failed on fields with null data, why is that? Empty value is not valid value for xs:dateTime type. See http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xmlschema-2-20010502/#dateTime for more info. -- Oleg Tkachenko http://www.tkachenko.com/blog Multiconn Technologies, Israel ...

CRM 1.0 XML import to CRM 1.2
Does anyone know how to import a CRM 1.0 XML into the CRM 1.2 env? The deployment manager rejects the 1.0 XML file during the import process - ERROR: does not match version of the database. So is there anyway work around this? Gues I could modify the XML version but.... Tony, From what I've heard from others, there are differences in how the content of the files are structured, so you can't really do what you are trying. Your best bet is to upgrade the install and then export the customizations to create a new XML file. On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:43:52 -0800, "Tony Nguyen&q...

numbering #2
Is it possible to apply numbering (invoice or booking numbers) to sheets inside of a book. Four people using the same books and we want to put number on the sheets without becoming a number management nightmare Like adding a series of numbers like invoice number Each sheet having it's own number in the series but not repeting on different sheets. Basically generate an invoice number on the sheet when copied from a templete or at print time ...

calculate dates #2
I am trying to create an application to calculate a date that is 2 weeks from today but I never want the date to be a weekend or holiday. The results I want to run on someones desktop without them having to do anything. Any thoughts? Use =WORKDAY(TODAY(),14) WORKDAY is part of the Analysis Toolpak add-in, so you may to install that -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "kevin.raway@lifefitness.com" <kevinrawaylifefitnesscom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A790A02C-0A02-42F0-9684-719436798CD6@microsoft.com... > I a...

Excel cell problem #2
I have a workbook I have created (I am a novice), which for some reason, when I want to add or delete a cell in ANY column, I no longer have the option to shift cells up or down, it will only allow me to shift the entire row up or down. Anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong here? I have some formulas set up to keep counts for me, nothing real special. Thanks in advance. -- Thanks Steve Have you applied Data|filter to that worksheet? Try data|filter|show all (to see everything) then try it out. Steve wrote: > > I have a workbook I have created (I am a novice), which for so...

Log-log charts #2
Hi, I'm using Excel 2002 and am trying to create a simple log-log plot. Making the y-axis logarithmic is easy - it's a check-box option under Scale tab of the Format Axis dialog. But for the X axis the dialog does not have that option. My XY data is valid (all positive values). There's web sites that say you can do this (e.g. http://cstl-cst.semo.edu/venezian/Utilities/graphs.htm). Why doesn't my Excel support it??? Any help is appreciated. Walt Hi Walt, Sounds like your chart maybe a line chart (x-axis is category) instead of true xy scatter. Right click the chart...

counting rows depending on 2 selective values
Hi, well, I have lots of data and need to do some statistics on it. For that I need to count the number of rows "H" where a string value "X" is written but only if these rows also have cell which is NOT empty in column "E"... the if stuff drives me crazy (especially as i have a spanish version...) any help appreciated :) -- Acid-Sky ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Acid-Sky's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26502 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?thr...

0 number
Hi, social security number has 7 numbers. However, when I type 0454636, 0 will be gone. Ex: Type 0454636. It will become 454636. I have almost 8 columns stored social security numbers. Please show me how to fix the problem. Thank you Loi Try format cells -- custom and type 0000000 in the box. >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >social security number has 7 numbers. However, when I type >0454636, 0 will be gone. > >Ex: Type 0454636. It will become 454636. > > >I have almost 8 columns stored social security numbers. >Please show me how to fix the prob...

Automatic Categorization #2
I am new to Money 2007 Deluxe. I've gotten all of my accounts set up and downloading properly and noticed that Money will automatically try to assign a category to transactions in my checking account register. (ie a checkcard at McDonalds is put in the "Dinig Out" category) Is there a way to set this up for the ones it misses and then have it process all entries in the register with that information? Specifically I have a place that I do a lot of business with that will show as "CHECKCARD" + 4 digit date + payee. I would like them all to come in as just the payee and ...

Firewire communication #2
Hi guys, I am trying to interact with a camera through firewire. I wrote a code based on the example given in MSDN. When I execute the code it always return the value 1 no matter whether the device is connected or disconnected. Please let me know what went wrong, i couldnt figure out the problem so for. Advanced Thanks - Mike My code is as follows. -------------------------------------- void CFireDlg::OnDeviceNotify() { // TODO: Add your control notification handler code here CString cs; bool bDevInterResult=FALSE; HDEVNOTIFY *hdn=NULL; bDevInterResult = DoRegisterDevi...

Excel 2003 Upgrade
If I only have Microsoft Works Suite 2004, and I purchase the Excel 2003 upgrade, will I get the full functionality of Excel, or just an upgraded Works spreadsheet program? I went to the Microsoft site, and it states that Works Suite 2004 qualifies for Excel 2003 upgrade eligibility, but I am not really sure what that means. Thanks. Steve ...

Still cannot recieve mail.
I am using a windows live account, I am trying to set up windows mail to connect to that account. I am now able to send I just can't receive. I get this error message. Account: 'Personal ', Server: 'POP3.live.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR command not implemented', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18 -- Ms. Victoria Morales Go to Tools, Accounts, select that mail account, Properties, Servers. Make sure that "Log on using Secure Password Authentication" is not = enabled.=20 --=2...

Percentages #2
I need to set up a sheet whose columns will show red when cells between ..005 and 6.99, green when >=7 and white when 0. I used conditional formatting to achieve these results.<br><br> However, I also need a column that will take the number of green cells and determine what percentage they constitute of the total of red and green cells. I used COUNTIF and divided it by number of columns to arrive at percentage, but this is a rigid formula. I need a formula which calculates the percentage of green cells (>=7) but which adjusts according to the number of blank cells(0).&l...

Border Art #2
Whenever I try to use Border Art in Publisher 2002 I get a message telling me that Publisher has encountered an error and needs to close. I have tryied a repair of the installation and a complete reinstall, but it doesn't make any difference. Any suggestions please ...

Excell 2007 Dates and combining 2 cells
I have created a date in Excel with the format of 03/01/01 in the form of mm/dd/yy Sometimes it will display the date in the cell and sometimes it will display a 5 digit number. Also, even if it displays correctly in a cell when combining 2 cells (1 cell being the word date- and the other cell being the date as 03/01/01in the form of mm/dd/yy The combination will be the date and a six digit number. Example Date-16425. What do I need to do in these situations to that it will display the date correctly in one cell( 03/03/01) and display the date correctly in combined cells (Date- 03/...

COUNTIF using 2 ranges??
OK, here's the deal. I have a worksheet with about 500 rows of data, o each row has a unique ticket number, a type code (1-9) and a compan name (about 20 different companies) What I need to do is get th results for each company and each code. Therefor, the number o tickets that belong to company XYZ that have a code of 3 would b entered into one field. Then 4, 5, 6 etc. I have tried COUNTIF and array formulas but have has no success. I you have any ideas, please share. Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Snickstx, a pivot table will give you what you are looking...

Reprint check remittance #2
I have a vendor requesting a copy of all of the check remittances we sent them last year. They apparently have some internal accounting problem and are following up on payments. What is the best way to get them this information? They want a list of invoices paid with each check. Thanks, John John, I don't believe there is a report like this already available in GP. Here is a SQL view I posted on my blog that will give you almost exactly what you're looking for: http://victoriayudin.com/2008/10/22/sql-view-ap-apply-in-gp/. You may just need to tweak it a little to get wh...

CRM 3.0
I would like to move the ordernumber middle part to a larger number to match the next available number in the existing paper order system. Where do I find the row/column in the database to change the seed or next available number? ...

12.1.1 connection to update server interrupted (Message)
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel The subject message has been repeated every time I have tried to download the update since its release. The server can't still be busy, can it? I've checked my connection settings and everything is fine. This seems to be a different problem than not seeing the Office volume on the hard disk. Any help would be very much appreciated! "znovalis@officeformac.com" wrote: > The subject message has been repeated every time I have tried to download the > update since its release. The server can't st...

Need help merging two Worksheet_Change modules #2
Thanks Dave, this is almost exactly what I want! The only thing I nee in the module now is that when they try to delete a validated cell an the INVALID appears, I want the cursor to return to that cell to forc them to select from the list - at the moment they can continue leavin INVALID as the value. Perhaps a message box telling them what the have done wrong would also be useful? Thanks in advance Fuzz -- fuzzyfrea ----------------------------------------------------------------------- fuzzyfreak's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1465 View thi...

transfer an excel work sheet to Paint #3
hello, i am writing a computer assignment for university. So we are asked to give anb instruction to how to use the excel. now i would need to know how to copy parts of the excel work book to word or paint so i can show the users where to go to... it's so urgent.... the submission is in an hour!!! i would appreciate your help guys. see ya ...

CRM 3 fiscal Year Setup Modify
Hi i would like to modify the setup of the fiscal year in CRM 3.0 can some one guide me how can i do that. regards Nader ------=_NextPart_0001_7F19AB8E Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit NaderYousef@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > i would like to modify the setup of the fiscal year in CRM 3.0 can some one > guide me how can i do that. Fiscal year settings are located in Settings --> Settings --> Fiscal Year Settings. -- Tao Yue Microsoft CRM Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ------=...

Corporate Upgrade to Office 2007 SP2
Currently: Office 2003 SP3 applications on XP 2002 SP2 Upgrade to Office 2007 SP2 suite We are planning a corporate upgrade from 2003 apps to 2007 suite for 100,000+ users globally. My question is what are the known issues with this upgrade, whether they are server issues, application issues, functionality issues, etc. I have cross-posted this to the usual applications as well as windows.upgrade and office.misc so I can capture all users of these applications as well as the network people. I am aware of the usual new 2007 user interface issues but are there any problems we can head off at...