Still battling 1.2>3.0 upgrade

Hi,

Well, it's been six months and I still haven't got it.  What I have gotten
good at is moving SQL databases around and restoring from backup images.
I've gotten that down to under 25 minutes for both the system and CRM+CRM
website drives.  Us newbies just beat our heads against the box until it
breaks, restore, read, read, read and try again.

First it was the ImportDefaultDataAction failure, then the
GrantDatabaseAccessAction failure, now I am hitting a
UpgradeCustomizationsAction failure, Object reference not set to an instance
of the object, sheesh.

I've learned how to run the SQL cleanup scripts in Query Analyser and also
changed the db owner.  That seems to have solved the GrantDatabaseAccess
error as it appears the upgrade tool did not like that the dbo was
(servername$), so changed the dbo to SQLADMIN.

Looked through the crm30srvrsetup logs, wow, really big.  Pushed print once,
oops, 2900+ pages.  Printed 300 pages before I could stop the printer.

Now with the UpgradeCustomizations thing, Object reference not set to an
instance of the object?

I've tried MS Support and they burned me on one of the two requests you get
when you buy the SBE server license, without solving the problem.  I'm still
upset they closed the case in a few days without it being solved.  I'll not
try that again.

I do have several boolean buttons added to both the contacts and accounts,
with new tabs for them both.  Stuff like "gets holiday gift",  I did
"manually" remove an orphaned user not in AD from the tables.

Will continue to bang head against box.

Thanks for any help or insight,
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Just so you know..you can re-open a case with MS support if the issue is
still outstanding. In particular they may soft close a case if they have not
heard from you and were expecting a response

==============================
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP
http://www.crowechizek.com/microsoft

"E. Palmer" <EPalmer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Well, it's been six months and I still haven't got it.  What I have gotten
> good at is moving SQL databases around and restoring from backup images.
> I've gotten that down to under 25 minutes for both the system and CRM+CRM
> website drives.  Us newbies just beat our heads against the box until it
> breaks, restore, read, read, read and try again.
>
> First it was the ImportDefaultDataAction failure, then the
> GrantDatabaseAccessAction failure, now I am hitting a
> UpgradeCustomizationsAction failure, Object reference not set to an
> instance
> of the object, sheesh.
>
> I've learned how to run the SQL cleanup scripts in Query Analyser and also
> changed the db owner.  That seems to have solved the GrantDatabaseAccess
> error as it appears the upgrade tool did not like that the dbo was
> (servername$), so changed the dbo to SQLADMIN.
>
> Looked through the crm30srvrsetup logs, wow, really big.  Pushed print
> once,
> oops, 2900+ pages.  Printed 300 pages before I could stop the printer.
>
> Now with the UpgradeCustomizations thing, Object reference not set to an
> instance of the object?
>
> I've tried MS Support and they burned me on one of the two requests you
> get
> when you buy the SBE server license, without solving the problem.  I'm
> still
> upset they closed the case in a few days without it being solved.  I'll
> not
> try that again.
>
> I do have several boolean buttons added to both the contacts and accounts,
> with new tabs for them both.  Stuff like "gets holiday gift",  I did
> "manually" remove an orphaned user not in AD from the tables.
>
> Will continue to bang head against box.
>
> Thanks for any help or insight,

0
John
9/6/2006 3:49:22 AM
Hi Mr. O'Donnell,

But if they hard closed it after about 10 days and say that they "provided
the solution" and I was not able to implement or even try their solution in
time for the deadline for closing the case, would they re-open that?  At the
time I did not have the ability to atttempt a restore, fail and get back to
base in about an hour like I do now.  I was still restoring a large data
drive + 15gb system drive from images and I could not risk that unless it was
an overnight job, which would not happen on a weekday.  They were not about
to wait around and leave the case open for the couple weekends it would have
taken me to get up to speed on SQL cleanup scripts and other things.  I felt
shutdown and have not really gotten going on this until the summer, this was
in March.  Now, finally I have mail, sql data+crm website, company specific
data, system and sharepoint/moniter data all on separate physical and/or
logical drives so I can restore any one thing from a drive image.  This being
SBS 2003 these things are not split out by default, so it takes us new guys
some time to learn this.

I can at least ask I suppose.  But when confronted with these errors the
first time they took the easy way out and said to go the data migration
route, and walking me through that certainly isn't going to be included in
the support tag.  If I were to start another request based on these other
errors, they would do the same thing and very likely strike out my last CRM
support allowance.  I don't see how I can win here.

Sincerely,

E. Palmer

"John O'Donnell" wrote:

> Just so you know..you can re-open a case with MS support if the issue is
> still outstanding. In particular they may soft close a case if they have not
> heard from you and were expecting a response
>

> ==============================
> John O'Donnell
> Microsoft CRM MVP
> http://www.crowechizek.com/microsoft

getdlgitemtext #2
Hi, I meke code from example behind, and not working corectly, buffor "String1" they are no my text in IDC_EDIT1 it is a somthing wrong this bufor, may please send me good idea. void CDialogPASS::OnBnClickedButtonDp2() { CString String1; GetDlgItemText(IDC_EDIT1, String1); } mike 1010 Is IDC_EDIT1 an actual control? I've seen this fail when the control ID changes due to editing of the dialog. joe On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:44:33 +0200, "1010" <mig1010@wp.pl> wrote: >Hi, > >I meke code from example behind, and not working >corectly,...

missing buttons #2
I just installed the new Office 2003 edtion. I went into e-mails and my send button and now my paper clip button are missing. I've checked in where you can add buttons but they're not in their either. What can I do to find them. Are you using Word as your e-mail editor? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:4E889BAD-E127-4AF8-BC98-7AB117D0B90B@microsoft.com, Sharon wrote: > I just installed the new Office 2003 edtion. I went into e-mail...

Disaster Recovery for CRM 1.2
Does anyone have any documentation on the steps to backing up CRM 1.2? We want to make sure we are backing CRM 1.2 up correctly if the server should go down. We were unable to find any documentation on Microsofts website for a step by step backup solution. Right now we are just backing the CRM databases using the scheduler in SQL; is this ALL that is required and if so do we backup ALL of the databases or just certain ones? The owners of the company want to make sure we can restore ALL of the data if needed. -- Thank You, Troy Hi Troy Microsoft have included details of backing...

2 Questions
Hi I run Win 2K with Excel 2K Question 1 I have some VB code in the "Sheet 1" module of my excel file. The code is as follows: Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Excel.Range) If Target.Column <> 12 Then Exit Sub On Error GoTo ErrHandler Application.EnableEvents = False Target.Formula = UCase(Target.Formula) ErrHandler: Application.EnableEvents = True End Sub I would like this code to run automatically whenever the file is opened. (I am assuming that this would remove the enable/disable dialog box option when opening the file) Can someone tell ...

forwarding in Exchange 2003 #2

Outlook 2003 forgets contacts after 1 day
Outlook 2003 is remembering contacts for a day and then automatically deleting them. I have spent the last hour searching and can't find the right setting to stop this from happening. Has anyone got any advice? Outlook does not automatically save Contacts ever. To what feature are you referring? Autocompletion? -- Russ Valentine "slycbod" <slycbod@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36DBB238-7462-452F-85EB-15258BCD8B05@microsoft.com... > Outlook 2003 is remembering contacts for a day and then automatically > deleting them. I have spent th...

Multiple Outlook #2
I imported an Outlook 2000 pst file into Outlook 2003. Now when I open Outlook my Personal Folders appears 4 times in the left hand "All Mail Folders" When I close Outlook it gives me an error and msvbvm60.dll is mentioned. Any help on how to correct this issue would be greatly appreciated. Mick ...

queue stuck #2
HI... i ahve exchange 2003 and i am facing problem that i am getting lot junk email and all messagess are stuck in queue ..after that my server hang so i need to restart server and clear the queue before restart it does't allow me to clear the queue ... pls help me .. tejal ...

Trouble sending emails #2

display name #2
hi i have this problem: when i send a mail massage from an application by exchange 2003, in outlook i see the e-mail address (xx@mydomain .com) and not display name (Customer Care) how can i resolve it? Thanks An application should allow you to specify display name for sender. Does it send via SMTP or MAPI? Matrix_pd wrote: > hi > i have this problem: when i send a mail massage from an application by > exchange 2003, in outlook i see the e-mail address (xx@mydomain .com) and > not display name (Customer Care) > > how can i resolve it? > > Thanks -- Please re...

I get COMException while exporting chart on IIS 6.0.
I have this code that works perfectly on my development machine when I deployed it at customer site it gets exception. Here is the error and my code: thanks error ========== Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC. Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the c...

double lookup #2
In Excel2000, I need help with the following formula: my data is arranged like this ( I can rearrange if needed).. joe pete sue rating 30 10 5 A 20 5 3 B 10 2 1 C I then have values for joe, pete, sue. I want to look up the name and then give me the rating. The numbers may not be exact. For example, I want the output to look like this ( with the formula looking up the rating) name amount rating (formula needed) joe 11 C pete 7 B sue 1 C Can someone please help me with the formula to fi...

CRM 4.0 Outlook RPC pver http
hi, A customer already has SBS with CRM server running. Some employees have Outlook configured using RPC over http. These users can use CRM using the web client and need access thru outlook. Is RPC over http supported in CRM 4.0 ? What are the issues involved in getting Outlook to work with CRM 4.0 ? I am yet to review the implementation guide for this situation, any other blog or guide I need to refer ? Thanks in advance. On Aug 14, 1:53=A0am, ShawnK <Sha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > hi, > > A customer already has SBS with CRM server running. Some employees...

Attachment Size #2
Hi ! Is it possible to block the adding of attachments in an=20 outlook client ? Or block the adding for attachments that=20 are bigger than 2 MB for example ? Can i get an error=20 Message or something ? (I think about an GPO or Registry=20 change or something else....) I have Users around here with Pop3 Outlook 2000 and=20 Outlook 2003 Clients. The Problem is that some of them are=20 trying to send Mails with Attachments with 300 (three=20 hundred!!) MB or something else like that.... Because they=20 don=B4t look an the size of their attachments. So the Mail is going through our WAN over ...

Excel problem #3

RPC over HTTP problem #3
Hi, All! My network configuration: DC1, DC2 and MX (MS Exchange 2003, sp1). All of them Windows Server 2003. What was done: In the registry on dc1 and dc2 was created a new key: "NSPI Interface protocol sequences" with value: ncacn_http:6004. MX was promoted to be a GC. Installed RPC over HTTP windows component. MX was changed to be RPC-HTTP back-end server. On the MX Default Web Site was installed cerificate from the local authority running on DC2. On the RPC virtual directory anonymous access and integrated windows authentication were disabled. In the registry of MX the key HK...

Covert v. 2000 -> v. 2.0

Search #3
Why does Outlook 2003 automatically switch to seach mode within about five seconds after selecting one of the other folders (i.e., Contacts, Tasks, Calendar or Notes)? Pop-ups are also displayed above the search field as well and would like to remove this from Outlook. (After all it is my computer and I do not want to share with unwanted soliciters). This does not happen on any of my installations. Please be more specific with when and how this happens - detail the steps to reproduce the situation as I am unable to do so based on your post. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all repl...

Bank Deposit #3
We would like to suggest being able to create multiple bank deposits from the Bank Deposit Entry window. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=5f3f4cb3-e7f4-4d76-...

3-Color Scale Vlookup for Current Month/Previous/Pre-Previous
Is it possible to Conditionally Format a cell so that the colors are based off of VLOOKUP's? What I mean is I have a table on another tab and it has by month how complete the build is. I want the conditional format to color the percent of the current month red, percent of previous month yellow and pre-previous month green. I tried putting the formula =("41227-1",BuildData,18,FALSE) as the current, = ("41227-1",BuildData,17,FALSE) as the previous, and = ("41227-1",BuildData,16,FALSE) as the pre-previous. However, it uses only the cells value to colo...