SFO (Sales for Outlook) failing to install. - CRM 1.2

Hello all,

I am having a heck of a time trying to get Sales for Outlook working. I have
read many post about similar problems but I have not been able to find
something that will work for me.

NOTE: all testing/installing was done with the same domain user which is a
local admin.

I was able to install SFO once on my computer but it would not sync. In my
attempts to fix it I got to the point where I felt a re-install was needed. I
tried to uninstall it and the uninstall failed. So here I was, now not able
to install or uninstall. Here's what I did to clean the system:

1) Uninstalled MS SQL Server Desktop Engine (CRM) from add remove programs.
Also deleted the install path afterwards.
2) Deleted MSCRM.pst from C:\Documents and Settings\ericr\Local
Settings\Application Data\MSCRM.pst
3) Deleted the install folder \Microsoft CRM from the path C:\Program
Files\Microsoft CRM from safe mode.
4) Deleted all registry entries with the word mscrm in it.
5) Rebooted

After doing all this I was able to re-start the SFO install again. However,
the install fails. It will successfully install the MS SQL Server Desktop
Engine (CRM) but fails some time after this. The error message is not very
useful. It's says:

Fatal Error
Installation ended prematurely because of an error.

Any help with this would be most appreciated!

-Eric
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Addition to the error message. After clicking ok the the error:

Fatal Error
Installation ended prematurely because of an error.

Another error message popped up stating:

Microsoft CRM Sales for Outlook Setup
Setup has failed because of an error. Setup was unable to install the .msi
file Microsoft CRM Sales for Outlook.

Thanks again,
-Eric

"Eric Rist" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am having a heck of a time trying to get Sales for Outlook working. I have
> read many post about similar problems but I have not been able to find
> something that will work for me.
>
> NOTE: all testing/installing was done with the same domain user which is a
> local admin.
>
> I was able to install SFO once on my computer but it would not sync. In my
> attempts to fix it I got to the point where I felt a re-install was needed. I
> tried to uninstall it and the uninstall failed. So here I was, now not able
> to install or uninstall. Here's what I did to clean the system:
>
> 1) Uninstalled MS SQL Server Desktop Engine (CRM) from add remove programs.
> Also deleted the install path afterwards.
> 2) Deleted MSCRM.pst from C:\Documents and Settings\ericr\Local
> Settings\Application Data\MSCRM.pst
> 3) Deleted the install folder \Microsoft CRM from the path C:\Program
> Files\Microsoft CRM from safe mode.
> 4) Deleted all registry entries with the word mscrm in it.
> 5) Rebooted
>
> After doing all this I was able to re-start the SFO install again. However,
> the install fails. It will successfully install the MS SQL Server Desktop
> Engine (CRM) but fails some time after this. The error message is not very
> useful. It's says:
>
> Fatal Error
> Installation ended prematurely because of an error.
>
> Any help with this would be most appreciated!
>
> -Eric
Try deleting and recreating the user profile...

"Eric Rist" wrote:

> Addition to the error message. After clicking ok the the error:
>
> Fatal Error
> Installation ended prematurely because of an error.
>
> Another error message popped up stating:
>
> Microsoft CRM Sales for Outlook Setup
> Setup has failed because of an error. Setup was unable to install the .msi
> file Microsoft CRM Sales for Outlook.
>
> Thanks again,
> -Eric
>

> "Eric Rist" wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am having a heck of a time trying to get Sales for Outlook working. I have
> > read many post about similar problems but I have not been able to find
> > something that will work for me.
> >
> > NOTE: all testing/installing was done with the same domain user which is a
> > local admin.
> >
> > I was able to install SFO once on my computer but it would not sync. In my
> > attempts to fix it I got to the point where I felt a re-install was needed. I
> > tried to uninstall it and the uninstall failed. So here I was, now not able
> > to install or uninstall. Here's what I did to clean the system:
> >
> > 1) Uninstalled MS SQL Server Desktop Engine (CRM) from add remove programs.
> > Also deleted the install path afterwards.
> > 2) Deleted MSCRM.pst from C:\Documents and Settings\ericr\Local
> > Settings\Application Data\MSCRM.pst
> > 3) Deleted the install folder \Microsoft CRM from the path C:\Program
> > Files\Microsoft CRM from safe mode.
> > 4) Deleted all registry entries with the word mscrm in it.
> > 5) Rebooted
> >
> > After doing all this I was able to re-start the SFO install again. However,
> > the install fails. It will successfully install the MS SQL Server Desktop
> > Engine (CRM) but fails some time after this. The error message is not very
> > useful. It's says:
> >
> > Fatal Error
> > Installation ended prematurely because of an error.
> >
> > Any help with this would be most appreciated!
> >
> > -Eric
Hi Will,

Thanks for the post. I did try this and I have heard that some time this
will work. For me it did not. I ended up opening a support ticket with
Microsoft and after a lot of work they ended up telling me that I would have
to re-installed (format and all) each of the computer with SFO that was
failing to connect.

Here's one of the last case entried MS made for me on this issue:

3/31/2005 5:04:00 PM EST -- Nicholas Brorson
Hi Eric,
Thanks for the updates on this case.
Clint and Henning are both currently unavailable, but I've taken the time to
read through the whole history of this issue and do have some thoughts on the
issue you're currently experiencing.

First of all, I'll try and answer your question on whether or not to attempt
to reinstall the SFO client after applying the service pack. It really would
not hurt anything at this point as it looks like you've done just about
everything else possible to correct this. What version of Office is this
client currently on and what service pack are you going to install?

My thoughts on this is that installing this service pack really will not
have an affect on this as the root of this issue seems to stem from past
Sales for Outlook installations that have either altered some value in the
registry or were removed in a fashion that has left pieces in place that we
have been unable to locate.

Just looking through the case history on this, it appears that you and Clint
were able to get the SFO client installed successfully on a laptop that never
had the SFO client installed on it before. This too serves as a strong
indicator that some part of a previous SFO installation is causing the issue.

In the interest of efficiency and time, we may be best served at this point
to backup the data on this laptop, reformat the drive, and then install the
OS and programs once again (MSOffice, MSCRM SFO Client, ect) as this would
ensure that we're on a stable footing. I do realize that this isn't the most
ideal of recommendations, but given the length of time that this case has
been open and the apparent lack of success we'd had in recent attempts, this
solution should give us the best chance to move forward.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns with this Eric and
I'd be happy to follow up.
Thanks,
Nick Brorson
CRM Support

MS did a lot of work on this case and even though the final answer was
format it was a good learning experience. They also did not charge me for the
case.

-Eric

"Will Green" wrote:

> Try deleting and recreating the user profile...
>
> "Eric Rist" wrote:
>
> > Addition to the error message. After clicking ok the the error:
> >
> > Fatal Error
> > Installation ended prematurely because of an error.
> >
> > Another error message popped up stating:
> >
> > Microsoft CRM Sales for Outlook Setup
> > Setup has failed because of an error. Setup was unable to install the .msi
> > file Microsoft CRM Sales for Outlook.
> >
> > Thanks again,
> > -Eric
> >

> > "Eric Rist" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I am having a heck of a time trying to get Sales for Outlook working. I have
> > > read many post about similar problems but I have not been able to find
> > > something that will work for me.
> > >
> > > NOTE: all testing/installing was done with the same domain user which is a
> > > local admin.
> > >
> > > I was able to install SFO once on my computer but it would not sync. In my
> > > attempts to fix it I got to the point where I felt a re-install was needed. I
> > > tried to uninstall it and the uninstall failed. So here I was, now not able
> > > to install or uninstall. Here's what I did to clean the system:
> > >
> > > 1) Uninstalled MS SQL Server Desktop Engine (CRM) from add remove programs.
> > > Also deleted the install path afterwards.
> > > 2) Deleted MSCRM.pst from C:\Documents and Settings\ericr\Local
> > > Settings\Application Data\MSCRM.pst
> > > 3) Deleted the install folder \Microsoft CRM from the path C:\Program
> > > Files\Microsoft CRM from safe mode.
> > > 4) Deleted all registry entries with the word mscrm in it.
> > > 5) Rebooted
> > >
> > > After doing all this I was able to re-start the SFO install again. However,
> > > the install fails. It will successfully install the MS SQL Server Desktop
> > > Engine (CRM) but fails some time after this. The error message is not very
> > > useful. It's says:
> > >
> > > Fatal Error
> > > Installation ended prematurely because of an error.
> > >
> > > Any help with this would be most appreciated!
> > >
> > > -Eric

Re: Magic Indian Oil for MEN! Free Trial #2
Real Magic Indian Oil from traditional Indian herbs. FREE TRIAL FOR 500 customers (5ml bottle), Ring +91 9810577227 ...

reports question #2
Hi How do I generate a report that will tell me how many store credits (or Gift Certificates) have been issued/redeemed in a givin time frame? I have a report "Detailed Sales with Tax & Tender" but the only problem is it does not show more than one tender type per transaction. So if a customer combines two tender types only one is shown. Thanks throw me a bone?...anyone cheers "christian" wrote: > Hi > > How do I generate a report that will tell me how many store credits (or Gift > Certificates) have been issued/redeemed in a givin time frame? &...

1.2 danish -> 3.0 english
Is this possible ? Jack ...

MS CRM 3.0 and Exchange Server 2000
I have a query regarding installation of CRM E-mail Router. I have a MS CRM 3.0 installed on a Windows 2003 Server, we're using a Exchange Server 2000 on W2K Server SP4, can I install the Router on the Exchange Server 2000? check the implementaiton guide, it gives you system requirements "John Ding" wrote: > I have a query regarding installation of CRM E-mail Router. I have a MS CRM > 3.0 installed on a Windows 2003 Server, we're using a Exchange Server 2000 on > W2K Server SP4, can I install the Router on the Exchange Server 2000? > > > I have...

Synchronise Outlook 2003

Sharing Outlook #2

excel file can't be opened #2

Install of Student and Teacher Edition
I purchased this software for my Daughter who will be attending University over in England next fall. If I install it on her iBook and on her iMac and one other household Mac, will she still be able to use the software when she moves to England? The statement "Rights to install on three computers in your household." is what I have a question about. Does household mean physicall location as in my home or does the three istalls include a laptop that is nolonger in the US? Thanks, Soon to be a poorer dad :-) Pete You'd have to read the small print in the EULA, but I'm guess...

Install this internet package from MS Corporation
--rwucuosxjmw Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="wvfaazvnt"; type="multipart/alternative" --wvfaazvnt Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="dpzsgxlysayp" --dpzsgxlysayp Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to help protect your computer from these vulnerabilities, the most...

Installer Package
Is there a way to include Service Pack 2 for Dynamic GP 10 in an installer package. You better off downloading the entire Feature Pack 1 DVD image from customer source and upgrading from there. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblosgter.blogspot.com "GPNut" wrote: > Is there a way to include Service Pack 2 for Dynamic GP 10 in an > installer package. > That would be "no". You can set up an automatic patch application by setting ...

Error "Money is not properly installed..."
"Please try setup again". I am getting the error above after changeing the non-system drives letters on my system (after adding a new drive). The info I found (to run money.exe with -s or to run the salvage tool) didn't help. The "-s" option runs into the same issue, salvage is reporting a badly damaged file. After hitting "ok", I get a new window with options to open, create, restore or repair a file. Restore, open and repair are all failing. Create new reports "The new file c:\t.mny" can not be created ...". I was using Money 2000. ...

Outlook user profiles

Outlook 2003 cuts off lines

The easiest way to get free cash! #2
<HTML> <HEAD> <META NAME="GENERATOR" Content="Microsoft DHTML Editing Control"> <TITLE></TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <P>Hi all,</P> <P>I became a member of an interesting free website that is totally unique. It actually rewards its members for learning! You can learn lots of important things and earn rewards taking fun quizzes, plus earn cash for other activities! Membership is free, and people of all ages and educational backgrounds everywhere can become members and participate at their own level. It�s called �It P...

Sending URL in Outlook XP

Outlook Signatures #4

Question regarding instal
Im the It Director at a Mortgage company and we want to use CRM 3.0 I think I have a problem though based on the CRM edition I have. First of I have a Domain already running on Server 2003 Enterprise Edition. The CRM 3.0 I have is Small Business Edition. From what I have read I have to install this on Small business Server 2003. That's not a problem I have Small Business server 2003 Standard and Premium. I think my problem is this Small Business Edition wants to be a Domain Controller and Active Directory. As I said I already have this running. ..I installed Server 2003 Small Buisness Pre...

Importing Outlook 2003 to Win 98 Outlook

Excel 2000 fail to open workbook

Emails in queue #2
Hello, I have exchange 2003 installed on windows 2003. The problem is as follows It seems to be working fine then all of a sudden the messages pending for submission starts to fill up and all the clients get a message in their outlook stating "outlook is trying to retreive data from the microsoft exchange server". The onky way to resolve this is by rebootong the computer. Any ideas? Thansk You need to identify where the performance bottleneck is. The following link should get you started http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/2003/library/e2k3perf.mspx In a...