Setting up test environment to test CRM 3 to CRM 4 upgrade...

So much of the planning information for and in-place up upgrade CRM 3.0 to
4.0 mentions testing the upgrade.  But it really seems like an all-or-nothing
deal.  This scares me because we use a few 3rd party helper apps (c360, TAPI
for CRM) and don't want to go through a 99 steps before realizing it hangs on
the 100th.  Has anyone set up a test environment to test things out, perhaps
in a VM.  Here's my current infrastructure (only the machines that are
relevant).

Server 1:  CRM 3 Server running Win2003R2, SQL 2005SP2
Server 2:  Exchange Server running Win2003R2, Exchange 2003, CRM3 router
Server 3:  AD Domain Controller, dns, etc. running Win2003R2
Server 4:  AD Domain Controller, dns, etc. running Win2003R2

I do run Symantec's BackupExec System Recovery (disk imaging software that
is essentially the enterprise version of ghost) running on these server, so
my ultimate bail-out option is to restore them from images.  But this also
gives me the potential option of copying these over to Virtual machines.
Wondered if anyone has done this sort of thing for the purposes of testing
the upgrade.

--
Sketchy
0

Check this posting, this was just asked about a week ago. I hope its
clear enough, there is another reference to another post in it as
well.
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.crm/browse_frm/thread/1a79f6debe686afb/fec477de30aaaf70?lnk=st&q=#fec477de30aaaf70
0
bradlaw (133)
5/15/2008 6:34:03 PM
Highly recommend keep the current 3.0 environment intact and upgrade in
another environment.  Also good opportunity to upgrade to 64 bits environment
since 4.0 supports 64 bits.

Link to writeup:
http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!A2586C4AB938C065!310.entry

Frank Lee, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com
http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm

"sketchy" wrote:

> So much of the planning information for and in-place up upgrade CRM 3.0 to
> 4.0 mentions testing the upgrade.  But it really seems like an all-or-nothing
> deal.  This scares me because we use a few 3rd party helper apps (c360, TAPI
> for CRM) and don't want to go through a 99 steps before realizing it hangs on
> the 100th.  Has anyone set up a test environment to test things out, perhaps
> in a VM.  Here's my current infrastructure (only the machines that are
> relevant).
>
> Server 1:  CRM 3 Server running Win2003R2, SQL 2005SP2
> Server 2:  Exchange Server running Win2003R2, Exchange 2003, CRM3 router
> Server 3:  AD Domain Controller, dns, etc. running Win2003R2
> Server 4:  AD Domain Controller, dns, etc. running Win2003R2
>
> I do run Symantec's BackupExec System Recovery (disk imaging software that
> is essentially the enterprise version of ghost) running on these server, so
> my ultimate bail-out option is to restore them from images.  But this also
> gives me the potential option of copying these over to Virtual machines.
> Wondered if anyone has done this sort of thing for the purposes of testing
> the upgrade.
>

> --
> Sketchy
0
FrankLee (144)

CRM 3.0 on Outlook 2007
Hello, I installed the spanish version of CRM Client on my Outlook 2007. I noticed the user interface has changed. With this version any time I click on a CRM entity it pops up an Internet Explorer window. Is this normal or should I still be seing the data On oultook application (that was the case of CRM for Outlook 2003)? Regards, Irene Nothing changed (assuming you are reffering to the v3c update) in this regard. The CRM for Outlook client has typically opened browser pages. The only exception was if you double clicked on the core Outlook items. Basically, if you click from an O...

DAO is less relevent than Wnidows 3.1
why do you diptards still use DAO again? why would you want to have 2 different DIALECTS of SQL? Anyone using MDB or DAO should be fired and then spit upon " S u s i e D B A [ M S FT ] " <s u s i e d b a @h o t m a i l.com> wrote: >why do you diptards still use DAO again? > >why would you want to have 2 different DIALECTS of SQL? > >Anyone using MDB or DAO should be fired and then spit upon Note that this person is really A a r o n K e m p f and that he is not an employee of Microsoft. Tony -- Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP Please respond onl...

CRM / SQL Reporting Co-Exist
We are trying to run Microsoft CRM and SQL Server Reporting on the same server. We have experiemented with several approaches but with no luck. Either SQL Server Reporting's Report Manager will not run with an error that session state in disenabled in ASP.Net or I get an error that there is a problem with the assembly Microsoft.CRM.Platform.Types. Does anyone know where I could find a document on how to make CRM and SQL Reporting co-exist on the same or server. It must be possible since many people run Small Business Server 2000 or 2003. Regards, George Vessels ...

Not able to send email from CRM client
Help, please. I cannot get CRM configured to send email from the CRM client software. See error message below. I have tried all the solutions I can find, including: -Confirmed mailserverurl is set correctly on the CRM server and that the specified server is the Exchange server. -Confirmed that the mailserverurl returns well formed XML. -Gave the IUSR_ORCAS user full control of the the "...mailroot/vsi 1" on the exchange box, which is named ORCAS. -Confirmed platformurl setting on Exchange server is correct. -Confirmed that the machines can communicate with each other. What...

last 4 wk average using calculated pivotitem
Hi, I am trying to create a pivot table/chart from data that is listed b week. So my table has "week" as the row field and "total X" as th column field. I want the chart to display the total for each week as bar (the easy part) and also to graph the average of the last fou weeks as a line on top of the bar graph. I have tried to figure ou how to add a calculated pivot item but I can't seem to get it to wor right. So for each week there would be a second almost subtotal lik entry that calculates the average for the previous four weeks (if ther aren't four previo...

cannot receive mail #4
For some strange reason I cannot receive email. I can send but not receive. I have checked all the settings and they look good. It says sending and receiving in the right hand corner. I do not get any errors. The send receive message goes away but no mail. I know there is mail because I go on the internet and check to see if I have mail and there is some. I am on a wireless network with my other computer. I have it set up so the mail stays on the server so my wife can check the mail on my other computer. On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:06:44 -0500, Bob wrote: > For some strange ...

Upgrade to enterprise edition
Is it easy to upgrade exchange 2000 standard single server, to a 2000 enterprise? Should I just put the CD in and follow the instruction or that would be more complecate? Are there any things i should consider before doing that? Thanks in advance for any suggestion-rob On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 15:36:34 -0500, "Rob" <rob@hotmail.com> wrote: >Is it easy to upgrade exchange 2000 standard single server, to a 2000 >enterprise? Should I just put the CD in and follow the instruction or that >would be more complecate? >Are there any things i should consider before doing that...

Upgrading Microsoft Office when switching to OSX
I recently upgraded my Mac from 9.x to OSX. I was running Office 2001 in 9.x. Do I have to buy new software to have the version of Office that is compatible with OSX or can I download an upgrade? You can run Office 2001 inside Classic in OS X, or you can purchase Office X or Office 2004 as OS X-native programs. Office 2004 is the latest version. Owning Office 2001 qualifies you for the discount on an upgrade copy, but not for a free new version. On 3/8/05 8:02 PM, "anonymous" wrote: > I recently upgraded my Mac from 9.x to OSX. I was running Office 2001 > in 9.x. Do I ...

DSUM #3
[Excel 2003] I have a worksheet that looks something like this: A B C Charge Payable Paid $100.00 Y $650.25 Y $ 25.00 N 10/1/2007 $ 85.75 Y I would like to place a formula in a cell that will return the sum of all expenses in column A for rows which have a "Y" in column B and no value in column C. I think DSUM is the function to use, and I have read several help pages on it, but no formula I have tried has actually worked. I would appreciate any help. Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(A2:A10...

User status in Sharepoint 3.0
I see there is a user status that works with Office Communicator. Is there away to do this with out office Communicator or free software to do this? We are a small company with about 10 users. Nothing I'm aware of. This is built in integration with the OCS platform. -- Daniel A. Galant Imagine what we could be... if we could just imagine. "todd" <todd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:089333D7-F0D4-4994-87E3-74A387AE33D0@microsoft.com... > I see there is a user status that works with Office Communicator. Is > there > away to...

Trying to install Microsoft CRM with OutLook on Windows 2000
When trying install MS CRM 1.2 disk 2 (Sales for Outlook), I am prevented from completing the install as I get the message "installation failed" "you must install SQL Desktop Server Engine separately". When trying to install it separately the setup seems to start running then stops after extracting files and doesn't complete. There are no error messages and nothing in the Event Viewer ? If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful for your help. Hi Installation take bit time,you have to wait.it updates with sp-3 etc.. Regards, Bhaskar.T "dhawgood" ...

Setting default program for viewing pictures
How do I set the default program for viewing picture attachments? I use Outlook Express 6 and when I click to open an attached picture it opens to JASC Paint Shop Pro 8 but no picture appears. In the past Explorer opened up my pictures. Can any one give me the steps to change the default from paint Shop to Explorer?? Hi Digitdan, Change the program that starts when you open a file http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?AssetID=HP051925951033&C TT=1&Origin=EC790000701033&QueryID=bSa5KrD4N0&Query=Change+the+program+that+ starts+when+you+open+a+file&Scop...

Scrpit when trying to change CRM option in Outlook client
Hi there, I get the attached script error when i try to change the MSCRM Option in MSCRM Outlook client and it does not accept my changes. An error has occoured in the script on this page. Line:381 Char:1 Error: Type Mismatch code:0 URL:http://localhost2525/tools/personalsettings/dialogs/personalsettings.aspx?clientid= etc etc Please let me know if any one knows how to fix this issue, thanks. Kyaw ...

Cannot get CRM client for Outlook online
One of my customer's employees is having problems to get his CRM client for Outlook online (version 3.0). The error he is receiving says: "An unknown error has occurred. Retry the action. If the problem persists, contact your system administrator.". In the event log we find the following warning message: Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSCRMAddressBook Event Category: None Event ID: 6425 Date: 10/12/2006 Time: 1:53:18 PM User: N/A Computer: AVELTP0131 Description: The current user does not have permission to use the Microsoft CRM Address Book. Contact the system administr...

Money 2006 Standard Settings/Preferences
Greetings All. Could anyone tell me where the setting is in Microsoft Money 2006 Standard is to stop it from putting the banks downloaded names in the list of payees? When entering a transaction in the "Pay To" list that drops down, it seems to be showing every downloaded entry name from the bank when I thought that I have my preferences set to use the user names for transactions. This is very annoying as every time lately that I have been downloading transactions and making new entries into the ledger it seems that the payee list gets longer and longer! This is what I am u...

Conditional formatting help #4
My problem is that, that i want to ignore blank i mean i had set a conditional formatting say A B C D 24.9 25.9 25 25.8 22.6 23.4 22.5 23.3 If value in ColA is less than value in ColC, cell A1 is shaded blue OR if value in ColB is greater than value in ColD, cell B1 shaded blue. I have done above formatting but my problem is that if i dont enter anything in colC then also colA is shaded in blue similarly if i dont enter any value in colD then also col B is shaded.I mean i want to ignore the blank.I need , if col C is blank then the Col A must be normal .& if col D is blank & i ent...

upgrade #3
Hello, I just received an e-mail from my bank which states they will no longer be supporting MS Money 2000 or 2001. I currently have Money 2000. I am looking to upgrade, however do NOT wish to lose any of my financial data or the ease of epaying my bills. When I upgrade, do I delete the old MS Money and leave the *.mny file ? Or do I complete an install and let Money 05 remove the old MS Money ? thanks for your help, Jason Already replied to. "dejaking" <dejaking@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB6DD057-70DF-404A-AD65-CE0E914B366D@microsoft.com.....

Multiple entries in CRM Contacts when viewed from Outlook
Hi everyone, We have an odd problem going on here with this. When we create a new E-mail in Outlook, select the To button and the CRM Contacts, it brings up the list of contacts from CRM that we can select from. All good so far. The problem is that each contact appears several times and it's different for different users. For example, every contact appears 6 times for me. It makes for a very long list. All of them are valid and any one of those 6 can be selected and the address will be correct and it will track against the correct contact. Other users have anywhere from the correc...

Email retention policy relative to CRM e-mails tracked from Outloo
Toss up question for the blue team. When one hits "Track in CRM" on an e-mail from outlook we all know that it CREATES an e-mail in the CRM system. The date that the e-mail is created in CRM is placed in the field CreatonDate. When we look at the related record it shows up in order based on the Created Date. The rub is this. What do we do when we have a user who is just coming on board with CRM and they have e-mail history they want to link that goes back years. There does not seem to be any linking relative to the received date. Which is actually much more relevant ...

test

Outlook Express #3
Where does Outlook Express store received email messages? I'm trying to setup a new HD and don't want to keep booting to different drives to export data. In article <0f0801c34676$c8efcd70$a001280a@phx.gbl>, jkstueve@nktelco.net says... > Where does Outlook Express store received email > messages? I'm trying to setup a new HD and don't want to > keep booting to different drives to export data. > Tools-Options-Maintenance-Store Folder. BTW, FYI this group is for the support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000 and 2002, NOT Outlook Express, which, although similar...

Excel 2007 Question #4
I want to bring data into an excel 2007 worksheet that is stored in a sql database table. The idea is to parameterize the "where" clause in the sql select statement limiting the result set. There are lots of examples in the literature with regard to bringing in data stored in cubes --- but not so much from data in sql table. The basic issue is I want bring in descriptive information about say a contract (things like description, signing date, etc). Cubes which most (all) of the literature deals with are dealing with aggregations of amounts or "measures" and not so...

Comparing 4 dates and getting 1 headache
Hi everyone, I have a problem hopefully some one can help me out with. I have the following 4 dates… Beginning Date of Service Ending Date of Service Eligible Beginning Date of Service Eligible Ending Date of Service I need a formula that will compare the Beginning Date of Service to the Eligible Beginning Date of Service, if the Eligible date is later it will take that if is earlier then it will take the Beginning Date of Service and compare it to the Ending Date of Service if the Eligible Ending Date of Service is later then the Ending Date of Service or the Ending Date of Serv...

Test Posting
This is a test posting. ...

ERROR check if a date set entered violates a perviously entered date set
I am devloping an Excel program that has a list of date sets, not necessarily in sequencial order. What I want is an ERROR CHECK if a date set violates any date set previously entered. What I was looking for was that a date set could not be typed in as follows: 1/10/04 to 4/20/04 2/10/04 to 3/20/04 The second date set falls within the first set and should be invalid setting off a message or an alert of an invalid entry. I am interested in making it idiot proof so that one could not enter date sets within or covering dates sets already entered. This one really throws me, Please help. ...