Separate database server for CRM

We have CRM installed accross an application server and a separate
database server. We're getting an error when our custom pages try to
access a custom database. The error message:
"Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted
SQL Server connection."

Everything works fine in the development environment, which
unfortunately has everything on one server.

>From other information we've found, the issue seems to be that the
ASPNet user is not being authenticated on the database server. If we
turn on anonymous access and force it to a domain account, we're able
to access the custom databases. However, the user context matches the
forced domain user rather than the actual logged in CRM user. In other
words, application authorization used for accessing various areas of
the application does not work correctly.

How do we setup an environment where the database lives on a separate
server?

Thanks!

James

0
jdstento
7/5/2005 10:02:28 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Did you change any of the service accounts after the installation?  The install
routine will ensure that the service accounts specified will have the needed
rights.  You might try uninstalling the app (not the DB or the OU's) and then
reinstall and choose to use and existing DB and ten select the existing DB.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On 5 Jul 2005 15:02:28 -0700, "jdstento" <gdi88a@yahoo.com> wrote:

We have CRM installed accross an application server and a separate
database server. We're getting an error when our custom pages try to
access a custom database. The error message:
"Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted
SQL Server connection."

Everything works fine in the development environment, which
unfortunately has everything on one server.

>From other information we've found, the issue seems to be that the
ASPNet user is not being authenticated on the database server. If we
turn on anonymous access and force it to a domain account, we're able
to access the custom databases. However, the user context matches the
forced domain user rather than the actual logged in CRM user. In other
words, application authorization used for accessing various areas of
the application does not work correctly.

How do we setup an environment where the database lives on a separate
server?

Thanks!

James

0
Matt
7/6/2005 3:09:09 AM
Matt,

Thanks for your reply.

We hadn't changed anything before we started seeing this issue. Once it
started, we made some changes based on articles found concerning the
same topic. Currently, we have all 4 CRM services and the 2 SQL
services running as the administrator, as is the worker process in
machine.config.

When I first saw this problem, I realized that I never granted access
to the custom databases for any additional users; only "sa". When I
looked at the CRM databases, they had logins for the SQLAccess group
and the SQLRepl group, so I granted those groups access to my custom
databases. I believe everything started working as expected. Now, about
a week later, I'm getting this login error and I can't figure out why.
As far as I know, nothing was changed, but this installation is at a
client site so I can't be positive. The problem is that I'm not even
sure where to look for changes.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

0
jdstento
7/6/2005 4:01:48 PM
As a temporary workaround, we setup the database connection string to
use a specific SQL Server login rather than a trusted connection. Even
Microsoft support hasn't been able to help. We'll keep investigating
the issue, but I can't believe this is an isolated issue. Especially
since Microsoft recommends two separate servers for the application and
database.

0
jdstento