Send Direct Email does nothing - no history, no email. Help!

I've been searching for a solution to this issue for a few days now, so
whoever can help me resolve this will get a large supply of kudos!

Here's the deal:  This sytem was recently upgraded from 1.2 to 3.0.  I
did the upgrade myself and my user belongs to the powerful groups in
both Active Directory and CRM so I'm pretty darn sure I've got the
correct privledges.

I created a Contact in CRM (another version of myself with an email at
an external domain) and clicked 'Send Direct Email'.  I received it and
it was logged into history properly.  Yeah!

I then created another contact at a different (again, external) domain
and clicked 'Send Direct Email'.  Nothing was ever received and nothing
was ever logged into history.

What would possibly make this work for just a few contacts and fail for
most?  Incidentally emails work every single time if the contact is
actually opened and emailed directly.  This only occurs from the search
/ directory / whatever it's called screen.

What in the world is going on here?  The bulk email service is
(obviously) running, I have all the rights, emails go out otherwise,
but 95% of the time the do nothing went sent from the search /
directory for Contacts screen.  It makes no difference it I select one
person or a dozen, only a very select few will receive it and have it
logged into history this way.

Any and all suggestions are welcome - I'm at the end of my rope here!

Thanks....

0
Magua
8/2/2006 2:33:44 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Try this:
Go to START -> Program -> Administrative tools -> Services,
then open "microsoft CRM Bulk E-mail Service" and clik "log on" tab,
and then pick "local system account".
Restart service and try to send direct email...

In my case this help :)

„Magua” pisze:

> I've been searching for a solution to this issue for a few days now, so
> whoever can help me resolve this will get a large supply of kudos!
>
> Here's the deal:  This sytem was recently upgraded from 1.2 to 3.0.  I
> did the upgrade myself and my user belongs to the powerful groups in
> both Active Directory and CRM so I'm pretty darn sure I've got the
> correct privledges.
>
> I created a Contact in CRM (another version of myself with an email at
> an external domain) and clicked 'Send Direct Email'.  I received it and
> it was logged into history properly.  Yeah!
>
> I then created another contact at a different (again, external) domain
> and clicked 'Send Direct Email'.  Nothing was ever received and nothing
> was ever logged into history.
>
> What would possibly make this work for just a few contacts and fail for
> most?  Incidentally emails work every single time if the contact is
> actually opened and emailed directly.  This only occurs from the search
> / directory / whatever it's called screen.
>
> What in the world is going on here?  The bulk email service is
> (obviously) running, I have all the rights, emails go out otherwise,
> but 95% of the time the do nothing went sent from the search /
> directory for Contacts screen.  It makes no difference it I select one
> person or a dozen, only a very select few will receive it and have it
> logged into history this way.
>
> Any and all suggestions are welcome - I'm at the end of my rope here!
>
> Thanks....

Hi,

I have the same issue.
I changed  CRM Bulk E-mail Service to log as a local system account but
nothing changed, no history no email no any error. Although with normal email
everything works correct.  Any other suggestions?

I use SMTP server for outbound emails may be that is the problem?
--
Nina

"Perf" wrote:

> Try this:
> Go to START -> Program -> Administrative tools -> Services,
> then open "microsoft CRM Bulk E-mail Service" and clik "log on" tab,
> and then pick "local system account".
> Restart service and try to send direct email...
>
> In my case this help :)
>

> „Magua” pisze:
>
> > I've been searching for a solution to this issue for a few days now, so
> > whoever can help me resolve this will get a large supply of kudos!
> >
> > Here's the deal:  This sytem was recently upgraded from 1.2 to 3.0.  I
> > did the upgrade myself and my user belongs to the powerful groups in
> > both Active Directory and CRM so I'm pretty darn sure I've got the
> > correct privledges.
> >
> > I created a Contact in CRM (another version of myself with an email at
> > an external domain) and clicked 'Send Direct Email'.  I received it and
> > it was logged into history properly.  Yeah!
> >
> > I then created another contact at a different (again, external) domain
> > and clicked 'Send Direct Email'.  Nothing was ever received and nothing
> > was ever logged into history.
> >
> > What would possibly make this work for just a few contacts and fail for
> > most?  Incidentally emails work every single time if the contact is
> > actually opened and emailed directly.  This only occurs from the search
> > / directory / whatever it's called screen.
> >
> > What in the world is going on here?  The bulk email service is
> > (obviously) running, I have all the rights, emails go out otherwise,
> > but 95% of the time the do nothing went sent from the search /
> > directory for Contacts screen.  It makes no difference it I select one
> > person or a dozen, only a very select few will receive it and have it
> > logged into history this way.
> >
> > Any and all suggestions are welcome - I'm at the end of my rope here!
> >
> > Thanks....

I am having the same trouble as you Nina, and have been chasing this for a
few days now. Everything else works fine, except for the "Send Direct Email",
with no errors, nothing in SMTP logs etc.
I have a development instyallation that is functioning perfectly fine....

I have tried the suggestions that Perf has made, but also had no success.

I have placed a call with MS support, but without errors or logs, I am not
sure how far we will get with this.

I would like to know if you have resolved this, I in turn will let you know
if I resolve the problem on my system.

"Nina" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have the same issue.
> I changed  CRM Bulk E-mail Service to log as a local system account but
> nothing changed, no history no email no any error. Although with normal email
> everything works correct.  Any other suggestions?
>
> I use SMTP server for outbound emails may be that is the problem?
> --
> Nina
>

> "Perf" wrote:
>
> > Try this:
> > Go to START -> Program -> Administrative tools -> Services,
> > then open "microsoft CRM Bulk E-mail Service" and clik "log on" tab,
> > and then pick "local system account".
> > Restart service and try to send direct email...
> >
> > In my case this help :)
> >

> > „Magua” pisze:
> >
> > > I've been searching for a solution to this issue for a few days now, so
> > > whoever can help me resolve this will get a large supply of kudos!
> > >
> > > Here's the deal:  This sytem was recently upgraded from 1.2 to 3.0.  I
> > > did the upgrade myself and my user belongs to the powerful groups in
> > > both Active Directory and CRM so I'm pretty darn sure I've got the
> > > correct privledges.
> > >
> > > I created a Contact in CRM (another version of myself with an email at
> > > an external domain) and clicked 'Send Direct Email'.  I received it and
> > > it was logged into history properly.  Yeah!
> > >
> > > I then created another contact at a different (again, external) domain
> > > and clicked 'Send Direct Email'.  Nothing was ever received and nothing
> > > was ever logged into history.
> > >
> > > What would possibly make this work for just a few contacts and fail for
> > > most?  Incidentally emails work every single time if the contact is
> > > actually opened and emailed directly.  This only occurs from the search
> > > / directory / whatever it's called screen.
> > >
> > > What in the world is going on here?  The bulk email service is
> > > (obviously) running, I have all the rights, emails go out otherwise,
> > > but 95% of the time the do nothing went sent from the search /
> > > directory for Contacts screen.  It makes no difference it I select one
> > > person or a dozen, only a very select few will receive it and have it
> > > logged into history this way.
> > >
> > > Any and all suggestions are welcome - I'm at the end of my rope here!
> > >
> > > Thanks....

I too am having the same issue.  When sending a direct email it looks as
though everything is working - there are no error messages - but no email is
sent and nothing is logged into the history.

"Ashley" wrote:

> I am having the same trouble as you Nina, and have been chasing this for a
> few days now. Everything else works fine, except for the "Send Direct Email",
> with no errors, nothing in SMTP logs etc.
> I have a development instyallation that is functioning perfectly fine....
>
> I have tried the suggestions that Perf has made, but also had no success.
>
> I have placed a call with MS support, but without errors or logs, I am not
> sure how far we will get with this.
>
> I would like to know if you have resolved this, I in turn will let you know
> if I resolve the problem on my system.
>
> "Nina" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have the same issue.
> > I changed  CRM Bulk E-mail Service to log as a local system account but
> > nothing changed, no history no email no any error. Although with normal email
> > everything works correct.  Any other suggestions?
> >
> > I use SMTP server for outbound emails may be that is the problem?
> > --
> > Nina
> >

> > "Perf" wrote:
> >
> > > Try this:
> > > Go to START -> Program -> Administrative tools -> Services,
> > > then open "microsoft CRM Bulk E-mail Service" and clik "log on" tab,
> > > and then pick "local system account".
> > > Restart service and try to send direct email...

Late last year, I made a microsoft support call with this issue.
We did a whole load of troubleshooting, via a CRM diagnostic tool. This did
show up some other strange errors with regard to the CRM installation, but
nothing that pointed to why the BulkEmail Service was not sending mail.

I suggested that at some point in the future, that I would be reinstalling
windows, and then reinstalling CRM on top - and MS support agreed that this
may be a faster method of getting the system running, rather than finding out
the issue on the existing system.

I am yet to see if a reinstall will fix  the issue, however if it does, I
will post here.

"Maria" wrote:

> I too am having the same issue.  When sending a direct email it looks as
> though everything is working - there are no error messages - but no email is
> sent and nothing is logged into the history.
>

> "Ashley" wrote:
>
> > I am having the same trouble as you Nina, and have been chasing this for a
> > few days now. Everything else works fine, except for the "Send Direct Email",
> > with no errors, nothing in SMTP logs etc.
> > I have a development instyallation that is functioning perfectly fine....
> >
> > I have tried the suggestions that Perf has made, but also had no success.
> >
> > I have placed a call with MS support, but without errors or logs, I am not
> > sure how far we will get with this.
> >
> > I would like to know if you have resolved this, I in turn will let you know
> > if I resolve the problem on my system.
> >
> > "Nina" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have the same issue.
> > > I changed  CRM Bulk E-mail Service to log as a local system account but
> > > nothing changed, no history no email no any error. Although with normal email
> > > everything works correct.  Any other suggestions?
> > >
> > > I use SMTP server for outbound emails may be that is the problem?
> > > --
> > > Nina

I have asked the customer who fixed the same problem. The onlly one they have
done was setup of SMTP server but unfortunately they cannot remember what
exactly it was.
So at least may be it helps somebody to search in right direction
--
Nina

"Ashley" wrote:

> I am having the same trouble as you Nina, and have been chasing this for a
> few days now. Everything else works fine, except for the "Send Direct Email",
> with no errors, nothing in SMTP logs etc.
> I have a development instyallation that is functioning perfectly fine....
>
> I have tried the suggestions that Perf has made, but also had no success.
>
> I have placed a call with MS support, but without errors or logs, I am not
> sure how far we will get with this.
>
> I would like to know if you have resolved this, I in turn will let you know
> if I resolve the problem on my system.
>
> "Nina" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have the same issue.
> > I changed  CRM Bulk E-mail Service to log as a local system account but
> > nothing changed, no history no email no any error. Although with normal email
> > everything works correct.  Any other suggestions?
> >
> > I use SMTP server for outbound emails may be that is the problem?
> > --
> > Nina
> >

> > "Perf" wrote:
> >
> > > Try this:
> > > Go to START -> Program -> Administrative tools -> Services,
> > > then open "microsoft CRM Bulk E-mail Service" and clik "log on" tab,
> > > and then pick "local system account".
> > > Restart service and try to send direct email...

I've recently run into this issue too.
I could send the email but one of the end users could not.
In the end I gave her System Administration rights and she was able to send
all her emails with not problems (over 7000 emails).
This points to an issue with the Security Roles.

I'm currently going through the Security Roles to find out what missing.

If I get anywhere soon I'll post here.