Select SQL during installation

Hi Everybody,

MSFT, MS CRM Gurus I need urgent help.

I am installing MS CRM where SQL server 2000 (SP3) and MS Exchange 2000 and
Active Directory are on an SBS 2000 Server and MS CRM is on windows 2003.
(Supported Architecture confirmed by MSFT)

The SQL server is installed and has one default instance (SP3) and another
instance (SP3).

When installing MS CRM on win2003 Server (when we need to Select SQL
Server), I am not able to connect or just see the computer where SQL Server
is installed (SBS).
I receive the following error: Setup could not open a session to the
instance of SQL Server........
I tried to connect on the IP but I received the same problem.

The real problem is that when we try the installation with another windows
2003 server in their server room with the same hot fixes and pre-installation
conditions (Services running…), the installation is able to see the SQL
Server.

Help is greatly appreciated

crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

It may be an idea to install the SQL Server 2000 client items on the CRM
server (plus run SP3a).

Use cliconfg to confirm that your connection to the server is via TCP/IP.
If it is, double-check that there are no DNS issues on the domain.

Stephen

"Georges" <Georges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Everybody,
>
> MSFT, MS CRM Gurus I need urgent help.
>
> I am installing MS CRM where SQL server 2000 (SP3) and MS Exchange 2000
> and
> Active Directory are on an SBS 2000 Server and MS CRM is on windows 2003.
> (Supported Architecture confirmed by MSFT)
>
> The SQL server is installed and has one default instance (SP3) and another
> instance (SP3).
>
> When installing MS CRM on win2003 Server (when we need to Select SQL
> Server), I am not able to connect or just see the computer where SQL
> Server
> is installed (SBS).
> I receive the following error: Setup could not open a session to the
> instance of SQL Server........
> I tried to connect on the IP but I received the same problem.
>
> The real problem is that when we try the installation with another windows
> 2003 server in their server room with the same hot fixes and
> pre-installation
> conditions (Services running.), the installation is able to see the SQL
> Server.
>
> Help is greatly appreciated

0
Stephen
9/23/2004 10:51:51 AM
You can alos run odbcad32.exe and try to establish an odbc connection to the
SQL server from your CRM box.

"Stephen Redmond" wrote:

> It may be an idea to install the SQL Server 2000 client items on the CRM
> server (plus run SP3a).
>
> Use cliconfg to confirm that your connection to the server is via TCP/IP.
> If it is, double-check that there are no DNS issues on the domain.
>

> Stephen
>
> "Georges" <Georges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Everybody,
> >
> > MSFT, MS CRM Gurus I need urgent help.
> >
> > I am installing MS CRM where SQL server 2000 (SP3) and MS Exchange 2000
> > and
> > Active Directory are on an SBS 2000 Server and MS CRM is on windows 2003.
> > (Supported Architecture confirmed by MSFT)
> >
> > The SQL server is installed and has one default instance (SP3) and another
> > instance (SP3).
> >
> > When installing MS CRM on win2003 Server (when we need to Select SQL
> > Server), I am not able to connect or just see the computer where SQL
> > Server
> > is installed (SBS).
> > I receive the following error: Setup could not open a session to the
> > instance of SQL Server........
> > I tried to connect on the IP but I received the same problem.
> >
> > The real problem is that when we try the installation with another windows
> > 2003 server in their server room with the same hot fixes and
> > pre-installation
> > conditions (Services running.), the installation is able to see the SQL
> > Server.
> >
> > Help is greatly appreciated

Hi Dan,

Can you provide more details about odbcad32 or provide links to reading
materials.

Thanks

"Dan Quinton" wrote:

> You can alos run odbcad32.exe and try to establish an odbc connection to the
> SQL server from your CRM box.
>
> "Stephen Redmond" wrote:
>
> > It may be an idea to install the SQL Server 2000 client items on the CRM
> > server (plus run SP3a).
> >
> > Use cliconfg to confirm that your connection to the server is via TCP/IP.
> > If it is, double-check that there are no DNS issues on the domain.
> >

> > Stephen
> >
> > "Georges" <Georges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi Everybody,
> > >
> > > MSFT, MS CRM Gurus I need urgent help.
> > >
> > > I am installing MS CRM where SQL server 2000 (SP3) and MS Exchange 2000
> > > and
> > > Active Directory are on an SBS 2000 Server and MS CRM is on windows 2003.
> > > (Supported Architecture confirmed by MSFT)
> > >
> > > The SQL server is installed and has one default instance (SP3) and another
> > > instance (SP3).
> > >
> > > When installing MS CRM on win2003 Server (when we need to Select SQL
> > > Server), I am not able to connect or just see the computer where SQL
> > > Server
> > > is installed (SBS).
> > > I receive the following error: Setup could not open a session to the
> > > instance of SQL Server........
> > > I tried to connect on the IP but I received the same problem.
> > >
> > > The real problem is that when we try the installation with another windows
> > > 2003 server in their server room with the same hot fixes and
> > > pre-installation
> > > conditions (Services running.), the installation is able to see the SQL
> > > Server.
> > >
> > > Help is greatly appreciated

If you open odbcad32 you can create a File DSN data source, this will test
the connection but can also be opened in Microsoft Access for testing.

1. Goto File DSN tab, select Add.
2. Select SQL Server from the list, Next.
3. Give the test a name and click Next, then Finish.
4. Type in the SQL server name. Click Next.
5. Chose Nt authentication if you are logged on as your domain admin, or SQL
authentication if you want to login with the SQL sa account.
6. Click next, next, finish, then test data source.

Hope that is of some help.

Regards
Dan

"Georges" wrote:

> Hi Dan,
>
> Can you provide more details about odbcad32 or provide links to reading
> materials.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Dan Quinton" wrote:
>
> > You can alos run odbcad32.exe and try to establish an odbc connection to the
> > SQL server from your CRM box.
> >
> > "Stephen Redmond" wrote:
> >
> > > It may be an idea to install the SQL Server 2000 client items on the CRM
> > > server (plus run SP3a).
> > >
> > > Use cliconfg to confirm that your connection to the server is via TCP/IP.
> > > If it is, double-check that there are no DNS issues on the domain.
> > >

> > > Stephen
> > >
> > > "Georges" <Georges@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Thanks Dan

I will try it in the client server room

"Dan Quinton" wrote:

> If you open odbcad32 you can create a File DSN data source, this will test
> the connection but can also be opened in Microsoft Access for testing.
>
> 1. Goto File DSN tab, select Add.
> 2. Select SQL Server from the list, Next.
> 3. Give the test a name and click Next, then Finish.
> 4. Type in the SQL server name. Click Next.
> 5. Chose Nt authentication if you are logged on as your domain admin, or SQL
> authentication if you want to login with the SQL sa account.
> 6. Click next, next, finish, then test data source.
>
> Hope that is of some help.
>
> Regards
> Dan
>

> "Georges" wrote:
>
> > Hi Dan,
> >
> > Can you provide more details about odbcad32 or provide links to reading
> > materials.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "Dan Quinton" wrote:
> >
> > > You can alos run odbcad32.exe and try to establish an odbc connection to the
> > > SQL server from your CRM box.

Hello

I solved it.

We had to do a windows repair on the windows 2003 server.

Regards,

"Georges" wrote:

> Thanks Dan
>
> I will try it in the client server room
>
> "Dan Quinton" wrote:
>
> > If you open odbcad32 you can create a File DSN data source, this will test
> > the connection but can also be opened in Microsoft Access for testing.
> >
> > 1. Goto File DSN tab, select Add.
> > 2. Select SQL Server from the list, Next.
> > 3. Give the test a name and click Next, then Finish.
> > 4. Type in the SQL server name. Click Next.
> > 5. Chose Nt authentication if you are logged on as your domain admin, or SQL
> > authentication if you want to login with the SQL sa account.
> > 6. Click next, next, finish, then test data source.
> >
> > Hope that is of some help.
> >
> > Regards
> > Dan
> >

> > "Georges" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Dan,
> > >
> > > Can you provide more details about odbcad32 or provide links to reading
> > > materials.
> > >
> > > Thanks

word freezes at the template selection screen at startup
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC My whole machine went down about a month ago. Finally got to installing office today and word freezes. I've uninstalled and reinstalled to no effect. Download and install the latest Office 2004 updates, which are the Office 2004 11.5.0 & 11.51 updates. In Office 2004, use Microsoft AutoUpdate to get the latest updates. From any Office application, go to Help > Check for Updates (or manually launch Microsoft AutoUpdate from the Applications folder). If any updates are needed, they will display in a sheet...

Select tab to import from excel spreadsheet in Macro
I have one excel file that contains multiple tabs. Is it possible to select a specific tab to import in a Macro? I have static labels on these tabs that can be referenced. If so, which function would that be? Your help is appreciated! Kanley Just to clarify, I just need to import one tab at a time, but when i specify the worksheet name in the range field as WORKSHEET!, it wouldn't take it. Please help! On Oct 30, 11:29 am, KT <kan...@rocketmail.com> wrote: > I have one excel file that contains multiple tabs. Is it possible to > select a specific tab to import in a Mac...

Can't Install Office 2008 for Mac at all
Hi there everyone, I pray someone can help me before I throw my mac through the window. This is the second time I am having this problem. My office just stopped working and no matter what I did I could not open any of the programs, so I uninstalled everything, Microsoft and the preferences. I have now tried to re-install office off disk and I can't even get it to launch I keep getting an error message saying installer created an error and please report which I have done a thousand times. I have restarted the mac and emtied the Trash so there is nothing relating to office...

How do I delete a selection w/o having to confirm my deletion?
I keep getting a "Delete Yes/No" prompt on my task bar after highlighting text and then hitting the delete button. I then have to hit the Y key to tell it yes, I do want this deleted. It's an irritating extra step. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/UnableToDeleteText.htm -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "ChiTown Reenie" <ChiTown Reenie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8551E9A4-251E-4E65-A646-B8389DFB956F@microsoft.com... >I keep getting a "Del...

SQL options and new upgrade GP9.0 (from GP7.5)
Here is my problem after I upgraded to GP9.0. I need to add a user with GP, unless I refresh its password (in SQL Enterprise Manager) and re-define its properties, I cannot use it to access GP moreover, use SQL resources. I also discoverred that DYNGRP dont have permissions on some of the GP tables. Also when I change the password in GP. It does not update the one used in SQL. Why is that? How can I correct this issue? If you create a user in GP the password is encrytped by GP so that the password that is sent to SQL is not the same. This is why a GP user can not do anything in SQL...

Selecting Cells with Shift Key
When I am selecting cells in Excell, I use the shift key and the arrows on my keyboard. If I pause at all, the selection is lost when I continue with the selection. Why? Can anyone help me? If you have removed your finger from the shift key then Windows will think you are starting a new selection. Just be sure that you don't touch the arrows without the shift being held down. LWhite "Jaymndad" <Jaymndad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:961E850D-AFAD-444C-AB81-F4A609BCB3BA@microsoft.com... > When I am selecting cells in Excell, I use the shift key...

Allowing Vendor to Place SQL Server Instance w/o giving customer a
We have a vertical market vendor who we bought a program requesting to place a separate SQL Server instance on our server without giving us admin rights. I understand that they want to protect their schema and want to keep us from writing to the DB, but I feel very uncomfortable with this. What would you do? Thanks. Eds Ask, what if the their queries will cause perfromance degradation and it will affect your production.... what would you do? At our company we dictate to vendor on what server to set up their program and they given very limited login to operate only with t...

Drawing a selection box using CRectTracker
Hello, I have an MFC SDI CView application and I want to draw an selection box when the user left clicks and move the mouse. I have found the CRectTracker class but I can't get it to work I have this code: void CSCMLaserView2::OnLButtonDown(UINT nFlags, CPoint point) { SetCapture(); m_startPt = point; m_theRectTracker.TrackRubberBand(this,point,TRUE); } void CSCMLaserView2::OnLButtonUp(UINT nFlags, CPoint point) { //Release the capture on the mouse ReleaseCapture(); CSCMLaserDoc* pDoc = GetDocument(); ASSERT(pDoc != NULL); CClientDC dc(this); OnPrepareDC(&dc); // Co...

eConnect Install Error
When I try to install eConnect runtime that comes on the 2nd CD of GP9, I get the following error message while it is trying to install. When specifiying the Data link properies, I use the sa account and tested the connection to the sql server and it says test connection successed. What am I missing? Error 1720 There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. I also get this error in event viewer Product: Microsoft Business Solutions - Great Plains eConnect 9.0 -...

SQL Query to transform/group data by Date
Hi, I have a large Access table with data organised as follows: Field1: Code Field2: Date Field3: Value1 Field4: Value2 There are seveal different codes and therefore duplicate dates. I'd like to run a query to bring back each code grouped by date and so put the codes along the top as feilds. For example the query below brings back the following data for two codes. SELECT field2, field1, field3 FROM Data WHERE field1 In ('LLOY','RSA'); 21/01/05, LLOY, 12454 22/01/05, LLOY, 31541 21/01/05, RSA, 21241 22/01/05, RSA, 12414 Instead I want the data to look like this: ...

what version of capicom do i have installed and graceful failing of createobject
Set capicom = createObject("CAPICOM.Utilities.1") Running that produces the following error: Script: C:\path\to\capicom.vbs Line: 1 Char: 1 Error: ActiveX component can't create object: 'CAPICOM.Utilities.1' Code: 800A01AD Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error My question is two fold. First, why can't I create that object? <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa388182%28VS.85%29.aspx> states that CAPICOM.Utilities.1 requires you have CAPICOM v2.0 or later installed. How can I find out what version I have installed? ...

SQL Server 2005 CAL question
If I have 1 HQ Server with with 2 HQ Clients, how many CALS do I need at the HQ server. Thanks in advance. Phil get a min of 5 cals Its not only the clients to think about its also any office PC that connects to SQL. "Phil V" <PhilV@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E2F3590-032F-4B4C-9CEC-5A6A6BC7F46D@microsoft.com... > If I have 1 HQ Server with with 2 HQ Clients, how many CALS do I need at > the > HQ server. Thanks in advance. > > Phil ...

100% CPU used by SQL and HQClient
We are seeing both HQ Client and SQL tie up resources at the store servers during connection to HQ. This can slow access to the store database by registers for a long period of time. Anyone else seeing similar performance issues on store servers? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_059A_01C7B449.07A22E70 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Rick, Make sure you're running 1.3 or higher. Consider more RAM and processor = speed. Maybe even dedicate a processor core to it. --=20 Regards, Jeff...

System Manager install only
I am trying to install Exchange System Manager tools only on my laptop so I can maintain the exchange server while I am on road. I notice, it won't install unless the laptop is part of domain. Is there a workaround to do this? I dont want my laptop to be part of my domain. Thanks alot I don't think you can do this.... You could use Terminal Services on the server instead, and the remote desktop client to access it from your (or any) computer. don wrote: > I am trying to install Exchange System Manager tools only on my laptop > so I can maintain the exchange server while I ...

I need installation software.
I write my software in Visual C++ version 6. It has been many years since I used InstallShield and I don't think I have that software anymore. Right now I need a fairly simple installation utility program. Is there any good FREE (or low cost) installation software that I can download? TonyG wrote: > I write my software in Visual C++ version 6. It has been many years > since I used InstallShield and I don't think I have that software > anymore. Right now I need a fairly simple installation utility program. > > Is there any good FREE (or low cost) installation soft...

newbie, missing OWC11 and Office WEb Components on install
I had a configured instance of SQL SErver Express 2005 and am trying to install to the sql server express advanced edition onto this first instance as well as the toolkit. I follow the instructions for getting the right instance it goes through the install but I get an error in the log regarding the OWC11 doesn't get installed and it wants something more than OFfice 2003? It wants the office web components. What am I missing to get this installed? I have IIS running. thanks, Microsoft SQL Server 2005 9.00.4035.00 ============================== OS Version : ...

Business Portal 3.0 Breaks SQL Reporting Services
Hi, I had a box with Windows 2003 Server, running SQL 2005 with SQL Reporting Services up and running fine. SharePoint was also installed and running fine. Then I installed Business Portal and now SharePoint works, BP works but SQL Reporting Services is broke. I have done an uninstal and reinstall of SQL Reporting Services. Anyone see the error below or know what I should change? Server Error in '/Reports' Application Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the speci...

Select Query acting like an Update Query
I am having trouble with my database where my select queries are acting as update queries. If a user happens to accidentally or otherwise adjust the results provided by the query, it is updating the information on the table(s). I need to find out why it is doing this and how to prevent this from occurring and altering the data. Thank you, Terri On Dec 17, 9:34 am, Tboartz <Tboa...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am having trouble with my database where my select queries are acting as > update queries. If a user happens to accidentally or otherwise adjust the > res...

Cannot even install any longer
I have Outlook 2003 which I have used for several years and 2002 before that. This past week my machine crashed and I have installed and reinstalled all of my software many, many times. I now have everything back installed except Outlook. I cannot install at all now because I get the message that the installation source has been corrupted. I guess this is because I have tried to reinstall so many times over the past couple of weeks. All of my personal information and doctors appointments are in Outlook and now I cannot even install it! I understand the problem with bootleg copies of sof...

Unable to install Office Professional 2007
Trying to install new Office Pro 2007on brand new computer with Windows 7 & get message "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0000022)" Read it completely and disable or uninstall the Security program until Office is installed http://www.opssys.com/instantkb/article.aspx?id=10176 -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Suzy" <Suzy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9A072076-15DB-497A-9D0D-12ADD468A73C@microsoft.com... &g...

Problems with OWA after Installing SP1

SQL Server 2008 requires Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 to be installed
http://sanssql.blogspot.com/2010/01/sql-server-2008-requires-microsoft-net.html Regards, Sandesh Segu http://sanssql.blogspot.com Join me @ http://www.orkut.co.in/Main#Community?cmm=96088888 ...

selecting data from a list #2
Thank you gentleman (I presume based on the names) for your help. Th sumproduct command worked perfectly. I'm still not sure how, since I' expect that since non-numerical data is assumed to be zero (shouldn' that return a zero? Zero times anything is zero, and the sum o that...nevermind). But you guys saved me some time. This is th solution I was looking for. Dav -- dave0 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dave05's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1623 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com...

Visual basic error after installing add-in....is it Microsoft problem or 3rd party. Please help.
After I installed a 3rd party add-in I got the following error (besides not only 2 of the 4 add-ins being installed) excel microsoft visual basic error &H80004005 (-2147467259) Unspecified error Is there a fix for this or is this a matter for the company selling the add-in? Thanks in advance, sheana Care to share the name of the third-party add-in? What does "besides not only 2 of the 4 add-ins being installed" mean? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 2 Feb 2009 14:56:37 -0500, "sheana" <sheana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >After I installed...

Syntax Error in SQL Code for Email Alert
I am attempting to set up a SQL job that sends me an email alert each time a certain customer makes a payment. I am getting the following syntax error Msg 102, Level 15, State 1, Line 45 Incorrect syntax near '12'. with the following code. Can someone please help me troubleshoot it? The query by itself produces the desired result in SQL Server Management Studio, but throws this error when I add the code for the email. Any other comments or improvements are welcome. GP10, SP3, SQL Server 2005. Thanks --------------------------------------------------------...