Searching for CRM KB articles broken...

Hi All,

For some reason our KB search won't work in CRM.  When we try to search for
articles, we get an error.  It doesn't seem to matter if we choose to search
full text, keywords, or in the title however we can search by KB number
using the exact article number--this works.

The error message we are seeing is as follows:

"Error - An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system
administrator."
--> Options are to "try again" (which doesn't work) or "go back".

- - -

Two questions:

1. Has anyone seen this before and know how to fix it?
2. Can we do something to make the error message more useful for further
troubleshooting?

Thanks,

Kevin

0
Kevin
9/4/2003 10:26:22 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

I'm having the same problem.  The only thing I can think is that we've only
purchased sales licenses (no service) and KB articles are geared for the
service side.  So, maybe the KB tab is showing up when it shouldn't be, but
then when it goes to find articles it can't because service licenses are not
available.  Do you have any service licenses?

--
Brandon
IT Director

"Kevin" <kslagboom_"at"_@ acdsystems_"dot"_.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> For some reason our KB search won't work in CRM.  When we try to search
for
> articles, we get an error.  It doesn't seem to matter if we choose to
search
> full text, keywords, or in the title however we can search by KB number
> using the exact article number--this works.
>
> The error message we are seeing is as follows:
>
> "Error - An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system
> administrator."
> --> Options are to "try again" (which doesn't work) or "go back".
>
> - - -
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Has anyone seen this before and know how to fix it?
> 2. Can we do something to make the error message more useful for further
> troubleshooting?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin

0
Brandon
9/5/2003 7:58:35 PM
Hi Brandon,

I did more searching for an answer and found this on the Great Plains site.

- - -

TechKnowledge
Enabling the Knowledge Base Search in Microsoft CRM

Document ID: 29328
Date Created: 2/17/2003
Date Last Modified: 3/7/2003 9:05:48 AM
Language: English - United States
Country: USA
Product: Microsoft CRM
Versions: 1.0
Modules: Microsoft CRM Miscellaneous, Microsoft CRM Workplace

Issue

How do you make the Knowledge Base search work and how do you activate the
SQL Full Text Search service in Microsoft CRM?

Resolution

In order to search in the Knowledge Base (Workplace | Knowledge Base), you
will need to set up your Catalog for Indexing.  To do so, please follow
these steps:

1.  Open SQL Enterprise Manager and navigate to the
Adventure_Works_Cycle_MSCRM database.

2.  Expand Tables and choose the DocumentIndex table.

3.  Right click this table and choose Full-Text Index Table - Define
Full-Text Indexing on a Table.

4.  Go through the Wizard and choose all of the choices for the Select Table
Columns page.  Otherwise you can select the defaults of this wizard.

5.  Next, under this database, find Full-Text Catalogs.

6.  You should have a catalog entry called ftcat_documentindex.

7.  Right click this and choose Rebuild Catalog.

8.  Next right click again and choose Start Full Population.

9.  Then right click and choose Start Incremental Population.

10.  Next, in Enterprise Manager, navigate to Support Services | Full-Text
Search.

11.  Restart this service.

After this you should be able to search in Microsoft CRM v1.0 Knowledge
Base.

- - -

Solution worked for us.

"Brandon S." <bsmith@presentationsdirect.nospam.com> wrote in message
> I'm having the same problem.  The only thing I can think is that we've
only
> purchased sales licenses (no service) and KB articles are geared for the
> service side.  So, maybe the KB tab is showing up when it shouldn't be,
but
> then when it goes to find articles it can't because service licenses are
not
> available.  Do you have any service licenses?
>
> --
> Brandon
> IT Director
> Office Equipment & Supplies at http://www.presentationsdirect.com
>

> "Kevin" <kslagboom_"at"_@ acdsystems_"dot"_.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > For some reason our KB search won't work in CRM.  When we try to search
> for
> > articles, we get an error.  It doesn't seem to matter if we choose to
> search
> > full text, keywords, or in the title however we can search by KB number
> > using the exact article number--this works.
> >
> > The error message we are seeing is as follows:
> >
> > "Error - An error has occurred. For more information, contact your
system
> > administrator."
> > --> Options are to "try again" (which doesn't work) or "go back".
> >
> > - - -
> >
> > Two questions:
> >
> > 1. Has anyone seen this before and know how to fix it?
> > 2. Can we do something to make the error message more useful for further
> > troubleshooting?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Kevin

0
Kevin

CRM International Versions
I understand that in v1.2 that each language must be its own server/db - anyone have any prescriptive guidance or "block diagram" on how these seperate servers "roll up" for Sales Management? Is this handled by the organizational/business unit structures? Also - will the requirement for seperate systems hold true in version 3.0? No multi-lingual support in the upcoming v3.0, although Microsoft says they are committed to doing it some day. Any aggregation of the separate CRM implemenations would have to be done by you, or a third party - likely a data warehouse of s...

Search Function with queries
Hi guys, new user to access 2000 and i am trying to create a search query that will allow me to enter in a value and return that value. The part i am having trouble with is i need to do this for many fields and if i use the method i came up with, when i leave a entry empty using the "AND" function i get nothing and when i use the "OR" function i get all the values for both. maybe you guys can help me get in the right direction. this is the command i am using in SQL: SELECT [Chain Machine prod Machine list].Description, [Chain Machine prod Machine list]...

Why my crm server become fast and slow sometime?
We installed a CRM Server(CRM Server+SQL Server2005+Reporting Service). The user and data's number is very small. We met a strange problem, the peformance is fast sometime and slow sometime. The situation is: When I click a function, it runs very slow. After that, every function runs fast. After some minutes not using, I click crm again, it becomes slow again. Could somebody help me ? Hi, Since you have all installed on a single server. It might cause slowness when users access a SQL server for data, etc... Another thing you can check is the Content Expiration on your IIS for the web p...

CRM SBS install error

Need CRM 3.0 SB Cals
If anyone has extra CALs for 3.0 Small Business please let me know. ...

Public Folder Searching
Hello All: I have a small problem that is pretty specific to one of my clients. The server in question is a Windows Server 2003 SBS running the latest service packs. My clients have setup a public contacts list and I have setup public journaling for the list. The problem comes in when I want to make an Activities tab for 'All Items.' For instance, in the actual user mailbox, there is an option in the Contacts' Activities tab that says 'All Items' and this option displays all related items contained in the whole user mailbox. Well in Public Folders, you can&#...

[ANN] New series of articles on using AppleScript with Entourage
I posted part 1 & 2 on Using AppleScripts with Entourage today. These articles are very basic and rated "E" for everyone and easy. Part 1 discusses the basics of using AppleScripts. Part 2 is about three of my most used scripts: Insert URLs into message Nuke Messages Insert Brackets, Quotes and Parenthesis around text If you have a favorite script you would like to share, please contact me. I can provide the script for download. <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/> -- Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP Entourage Help Page <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/> Entourage Hel...

Outlook 2007 I want to create a search folder that contains compound criteria (search for x AND y). In the Search Folder Criteria dialog box, on the Advanced tab, there is a "More Advanced..." button, but it is grayed out. How do I enable that button, and is there a way to create a search folder with compound criteria? --Tom Hello Tom, You need to enable the query builder, see this microsoft Knowledgebase article http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=3D307922 On Dec 17 2008, 3:52=A0pm, "Thomas M." <NoEmailRepl...@Please.com> wrote: > Outlook 2007 > &g...

Excel macro or command button to search using a user form
I have a user form which shows info about each student. I want to be able to enter a student's name in a textbox and have all the fields on the form populated with the student information. You need to be a lot more specific on what you are wanting else we have to make a lot of assumptions. I would recommend using a combobox instead of a textbox. This way you can utilize the Change Event and have the students info. automatically filled in the rest of your userform. I will assume you have a list of students in Sheet1 in Col. A. Just set the RowSource property of the c...

Formatting email when promoting to CRM
When I promote an email from Outllok to CRM, it seems to loose all the formatting of the original email. All the email's content remains as text only. Is there a way to promote email from Outlook preserving its original formatting? Thanx in anticipation ...

Attempting to create a CRM Test Environment
I am attempting to create a CRM test environment using the database name "Adventure Works Cycle". After the database is created and the users added I have attempted to import the XML schema and form changes from our Production Environment but everytime I do this I recieve the error "An Error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator". This error appears when I click on the "Services" tab. I know that it is attempting to query the database at this time. I am able to click on the "New Case" button and bring up the p...

CRM 4 on SBS 2008
Hi, Can MS CRM 4 Workgroup edition be deployed onto a SBS2008 Standard installation? Thanks, Alex Hi Alex, I am not sure about SBS2008. Here's what I found on some of the MS materials. Since Windows 2008, it's consider Windows Server Code Name "Longhorn" so I guess it will work. "Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Workgroup. This version is limited to five or fewer users. It can be installed on Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003 R2 Enterprise Edition, any of the supported Windows Server 2003 editions, or Microsoft Windows Server Code Name =93Longhorn.=94 This v...

html mail in crm 3.0 workflow manager
In CRM 1.2 it possible to create nice mail templates with html code simple in frontpage with the usage of field values. Does anybody have a idea how to build html mail templates with flied values, so that i can copy the html in the workflow "create mail" like in crm 1.2??? when i use the same field values like in the workflow manager in my html code, the field ist not displayed in the html mail. Give this a try. </pre> Your html code .... <pre> ...

How Unistall CRM
I Install CRM for Outlook in my administrator of the PC, but when attempt to enter with a user of the domain, does not allow me to enter the CRM from Outlook, thus process to uninstall the CRM, but I cannot it gives the error me. This is few error: Error 1. <This Action only valid for products that are concurrely installed.> This is error show me when unistall in control panel. Error 2. <Microsoft CRM Sales for Outlook setup cannot continue because Microsoft Outlook has not been instaled. to continue, cancel setup, open and then close Outlook, and then start setup again.> Th...

Search and replace problem
Hi, I have an Excel worksheets where in several cell's a symbol was added to mark the cell's "to review". The symbol used was "(*)". I have tried now to delete all the entries with a "search and replace", but Excel interpretes the asterisk as a DOS-symbol and deletes everythng between brackets. Is there a way to avoid that or to let Excel know that I only want to delete the specific characters. TIA Melissa It's because it is a wildcard, you can replace it by preceding it with a tilde ~ which tell Excel to find an asterisk in find what p...

TechNet Article 883106
Is this article out yet? I think this has to do with the update to IMF. Is there going to be a technet article? I was informed that there wouldn't be one. (KB article # assigned to update is a placeholder.) "Sabo, Eric" <SaboEric@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D291B83A-59CE-4BF0-890D-3F64EE918807@microsoft.com... > Is this article out yet? I think this has to do with the update to IMF. > Is there going to be a technet article? ...

Tracking PST items in CRM
I have a user who wishes to track email that's stored in a PST file on his computer in CRM. When he clicks the "Track in CRM" button, he gets an error message about it not being in an active folder or something similar. Is it possible to track PST items in CRM? Thanks in advance. Only the default Outlook/Exchange/PST folder is being synch with Microsoft CRM. Frank Lee Workopia, Inc. http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm "Herb Powell" wrote: > I have a user who wishes to track email that's stored in a PST file on his > computer in CRM. When he clicks ...

Microsoft CRM Connectors blog
Dear All, The following Microsoft CRM Connectors blog contains some useful information on the Microsoft CRM Connector for Microsoft Dynamics GP. This blog will also provide information on future Microsoft CRM Connectors and integration solutions such as with Microsoft Dynamics AX, or the BizTalk Adaptor for Microsoft Dynamics CRM, etc. You can also use this blog to get answers to questions on the Microsoft CRM Connectors or to provide feedback. Blog URL: http://blogs.msdn.com/microsoftcrmconnectors/default.aspx Regards, Manohar ...

CRM should allow auto numbering of the products
---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=9c8e0ba6-f37a-4fc1-84fd-ff5b578e2c76&dg=microsoft.public.crm ...

CRM 1.2 Basic Authentication with SSL
I�ve red from �Overview of Changes for Microsoft CRM Version 1.2� article the following: 7. Question: Does Microsoft CRM version 1.2 support other Authentication methods? Answer: Microsoft CRM version 1.2 supports NTLM, NTLM with Secure Socket Layer (SSL) and Basic Authentication with SSL. I�ve checked these Authentication methods experimentally and Microsoft CRM 1.2 Web UI works correctly. But our adapter failed executing: BizUser.WhoAmI() methods in case Basic Authentication and Windows Integrated Authentication with SSL (401 Access Denied). Adapter works properly just in case of Windows I...

CRM on SBS (Internet, Domain)
Hello! I need your help regarding CRM server. I installed CRM server on the Small Business Server and it is working perfect. Our company have four offices on three diffrent locations. Server is in the HQ and i want to contact this server from any other office but i am not able to do so. On the local network it is working and server has IP address, Subnet Mask, Default Gateway, DNS1 and DNS2. I am not able to Ping IP address from other office (Request time out 100% loss). Is there any body to help me how can i use CRM server in the any other office. I have Windows Server 2003 and cont...

CRM 3.0 SBE and Sharepoint Services
I am running a CRM 3.0 development server on SBS2003. The SBS2003 server had Sharepoint Services installed by default during the intital install of SBS2003 on http://companyweb, on IIS port 80. When I installed CRM 3.0 SBE, I chose the Default Web Site option rather than having CRM "Create a New Web Site" and install itself on port 5555, so it overwrote and disabl;ed Sharepoint Services on port 80. Is there a way to re-enable or reinstall Sharepoint Services for SBS 2003 and install it on a designated IIS port where it will not install over my CRM 3.0 SBE installation, now on ...

CRM email activity
when i try to use the body of an crm email activity, the body contains tags, by example <FONT ...> text </FONT> .... There are any chance of the body to not contain tags? -- Regards, Pedro Airó This behavior is hard-coded into to Microsoft CRM and is therefore "By Design". Having said that, what are you trying to accomplish? If I knew what you were trying to do, I may be able to suggest a workaround or possible solution. Aaron Elder Director, Software Development invokesystems solid technology. sound thinking. http://www.invokesystems.com "Pedro Ai...

External E-mail to POP3 Connector Manager to CRM
Hi! I'm currently hosting my E-mail using Qmail in a linux machine. As I understand that the only way for E-mails to get into CRM is by using Exchange Server. So, my integration setup is as follows... (Please advice if I am wrong) Qmail Linux (POP3 Server) -> Exchange POP3 Connector Manager -> Exchange Mail Box -> Exchange Router -> MSCRM. Things that are working correctly - MSCRM is able to send out E-mail via Exchange Router. - Able to receive external E-mails at Qmail Linux (POP3 Server) - Exchange POP3 Connector Manager is able to receive E-mails from Qmail Linux (P...

Microsoft releases Reporting Services Reporting Pack for MS CRM
A press release was issued announcing several new reporting packs for Reporting Services. Included in them is one for MS CRM v1.2. Press Release: http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040929/sfw052_1.html Download location: http://www.microsoft.com/sql/reporting/downloads/default.asp Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Matt Parks" <mattp65@Yax_RemoveDashAndX_xhoo.com> wrote in message news:u0vll05630vallk08btfrp98l75qt3hptr@4ax.com... > A press release was issued announcing several new reporting packs for Reporting > Services. Included in them is one for MS CRM v1.2. > >...