Reporting question 08-23-07

I'm trying to figure out how to use the report builder to pull data from my
incident base and from some of my custom fields in the incident extension
base. Has anyone had any luck doing this?

J.
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Hi Jeremiah,

any reason for not using filteredincident view which contains all base
incident fields as well as all custom fields. In addition, user security is
honoured, dates are converted to local, pickup lists and lookups are
expanded to include verbose name. Bar the monstrosity of the view, a win-win
approach.

Hope this helps
--
George Doubinski
CRM Certified Professional - Developer

"Jeremiah B." <Jeremiah B.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm trying to figure out how to use the report builder to pull data from
> my
> incident base and from some of my custom fields in the incident extension
> base. Has anyone had any luck doing this?
>
> J.

0
George
8/23/2007 3:43:27 PM
George,
       I don't see where to select the filter view. Again I am using the
report builder program, not creating the report in Visual Studio.

J.

"George Doubinski" wrote:

> Hi Jeremiah,
>
> any reason for not using filteredincident view which contains all base
> incident fields as well as all custom fields. In addition, user security is
> honoured, dates are converted to local, pickup lists and lookups are
> expanded to include verbose name. Bar the monstrosity of the view, a win-win
> approach.
>
> Hope this helps
> --
> George Doubinski
> CRM Certified Professional - Developer
>

> "Jeremiah B." <Jeremiah B.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm trying to figure out how to use the report builder to pull data from
> > my
> > incident base and from some of my custom fields in the incident extension
> > base. Has anyone had any luck doing this?
> >
> > J.

Hi Jeremiah,

I understand that you're using report builder. What I'm saying is that
whoever built report model needed to use filtered views and not the base
tables. If that was you then modify the model to include filteredincident
view otherwise contact the person who built the model in the first place.

Hope this helps
--

> George,
>       I don't see where to select the filter view. Again I am using the
> report builder program, not creating the report in Visual Studio.
>
> J.
>
> "George Doubinski" wrote:
>
>> Hi Jeremiah,
>>
>> any reason for not using filteredincident view which contains all base
>> incident fields as well as all custom fields. In addition, user security
>> is
>> honoured, dates are converted to local, pickup lists and lookups are
>> expanded to include verbose name. Bar the monstrosity of the view, a
>> win-win
>> approach.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>> --
>> George Doubinski
>> CRM Certified Professional - Developer
>>

>> "Jeremiah B." <Jeremiah B.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm trying to figure out how to use the report builder to pull data
>> > from
>> > my
>> > incident base and from some of my custom fields in the incident
>> > extension
>> > base. Has anyone had any luck doing this?
>> >
>> > J.

0
George
8/23/2007 5:04:42 PM
George,
      Thanks again for the help. One more question, how do I add the
filteredincident to the model?

J.

"George Doubinski" wrote:

> Hi Jeremiah,
>
> I understand that you're using report builder. What I'm saying is that
> whoever built report model needed to use filtered views and not the base
> tables. If that was you then modify the model to include filteredincident
> view otherwise contact the person who built the model in the first place.
>
> Hope this helps
> --
> George Doubinski
> CRM Certified Professional - Developer
>

> "Jeremiah B." <JeremiahB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > George,
> >       I don't see where to select the filter view. Again I am using the
> > report builder program, not creating the report in Visual Studio.
> >
> > J.
> >
> > "George Doubinski" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Jeremiah,
> >>
> >> any reason for not using filteredincident view which contains all base
> >> incident fields as well as all custom fields. In addition, user security
> >> is
> >> honoured, dates are converted to local, pickup lists and lookups are
> >> expanded to include verbose name. Bar the monstrosity of the view, a
> >> win-win
> >> approach.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps
> >> --
> >> George Doubinski
> >> CRM Certified Professional - Developer
> >>

> >> "Jeremiah B." <Jeremiah B.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi Jeremiah,

it's more to do with report builder rather than CRM at this point but the
procedure rougly is as following:
1. In Visual Studio you create new or open existing Report Model Project
2. Add new data source pointing to ORGANISATION_MSCRM database if it does
not exist already
3. Add data source view or edit existing one
4. Add/Remove Tables->Find FilteredIncident view and add it
5. Right-mouse click incidentid attribute and set it as a logical primary
field
6. If view was part of the existing report model, simply regenerate the
model otherwise create a new report model based on the view and regenerate
it.
7. Build and deploy
8. Your new or updated model that includes filteredincident view will become
visible in Report Builder

You do have an existing model and someone (you?) has built it. I suggest
that the same person adds view to the existing data source view and
regenerates the model. The only "non-trivial" or rather "not obvious" step
is step 5 to define logical primary key for the view.

Hope this helps
--

> George,
>      Thanks again for the help. One more question, how do I add the
> filteredincident to the model?
>
> J.
>
> "George Doubinski" wrote:
>
>> Hi Jeremiah,
>>
>> I understand that you're using report builder. What I'm saying is that
>> whoever built report model needed to use filtered views and not the base
>> tables. If that was you then modify the model to include filteredincident
>> view otherwise contact the person who built the model in the first place.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>> --
>> George Doubinski
>> CRM Certified Professional - Developer
>>

>> "Jeremiah B." <JeremiahB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > George,
>> >       I don't see where to select the filter view. Again I am using the
>> > report builder program, not creating the report in Visual Studio.
>> >
>> > J.

0
George
8/24/2007 2:22:43 AM
George,
       Once again thanks for the help. One really basic question, how do I
add the datasource view? I'm not seeing any options for this in Visual Studio.

J.

"George Doubinski" wrote:

> Hi Jeremiah,
>
> it's more to do with report builder rather than CRM at this point but the
> procedure rougly is as following:
> 1. In Visual Studio you create new or open existing Report Model Project
> 2. Add new data source pointing to ORGANISATION_MSCRM database if it does
> not exist already
> 3. Add data source view or edit existing one
> 4. Add/Remove Tables->Find FilteredIncident view and add it
> 5. Right-mouse click incidentid attribute and set it as a logical primary
> field
> 6. If view was part of the existing report model, simply regenerate the
> model otherwise create a new report model based on the view and regenerate
> it.
> 7. Build and deploy
> 8. Your new or updated model that includes filteredincident view will become
> visible in Report Builder
>
> You do have an existing model and someone (you?) has built it. I suggest
> that the same person adds view to the existing data source view and
> regenerates the model. The only "non-trivial" or rather "not obvious" step
> is step 5 to define logical primary key for the view.
>
> Hope this helps
> --
> George Doubinski
> CRM Certified Professional - Developer
>

> "Jeremiah B." <JeremiahB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > George,
> >      Thanks again for the help. One more question, how do I add the
> > filteredincident to the model?
> >
> > J.
> >
> > "George Doubinski" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Jeremiah,
> >>
> >> I understand that you're using report builder. What I'm saying is that
> >> whoever built report model needed to use filtered views and not the base
> >> tables. If that was you then modify the model to include filteredincident
> >> view otherwise contact the person who built the model in the first place.
> >>
> >> Hope this helps
> >> --
> >> George Doubinski
> >> CRM Certified Professional - Developer
> >>

> >> "Jeremiah B." <JeremiahB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi Jeremiah,

I think you might benefit from reading some online materials and tutorials
available for report modelling:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms156285.aspx - Creating a Report
Model Project
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms167048.aspx - Tutorial: Creating
a Report Model

And to answer your question:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms170023.aspx - Lesson 3: Defining
a Data Source View for Your Report Model

Hope this helps
--

> George,
>       Once again thanks for the help. One really basic question, how do I
> add the datasource view? I'm not seeing any options for this in Visual
> Studio.
>
> J.
>
> "George Doubinski" wrote:
>
>> Hi Jeremiah,
>>
>> it's more to do with report builder rather than CRM at this point but the
>> procedure rougly is as following:
>> 1. In Visual Studio you create new or open existing Report Model Project
>> 2. Add new data source pointing to ORGANISATION_MSCRM database if it does
>> not exist already
>> 3. Add data source view or edit existing one
>> 4. Add/Remove Tables->Find FilteredIncident view and add it
>> 5. Right-mouse click incidentid attribute and set it as a logical primary
>> field
>> 6. If view was part of the existing report model, simply regenerate the
>> model otherwise create a new report model based on the view and
>> regenerate
>> it.
>> 7. Build and deploy
>> 8. Your new or updated model that includes filteredincident view will
>> become
>> visible in Report Builder
>>
>> You do have an existing model and someone (you?) has built it. I suggest
>> that the same person adds view to the existing data source view and
>> regenerates the model. The only "non-trivial" or rather "not obvious"
>> step
>> is step 5 to define logical primary key for the view.
>>
>> Hope this helps
>> --
>> George Doubinski
>> CRM Certified Professional - Developer
>>

>> "Jeremiah B." <JeremiahB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > George,
>> >      Thanks again for the help. One more question, how do I add the
>> > filteredincident to the model?
>> >
>> > J.

0
George

Crosstab query 06-22-07
Hi, All I have a table with following fields: IssDate IssTime Tick Badge Locat Viol 6/18/07 15:30 102003 999 MAIN 141 6/19/07 16:30 102023 999 MAIN 151 6/22/07 17:30 102022 999 MAIN 146 Is it posible in the crosstab query show summary for the every day of the week with actual date assign like "Sunday 6/17/07" and have as many columns as 7 for every day? Please, help How can i produce produce following result: Badge Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday ...... 6/17/07 ...

Report writer line length question
I am modifying a report and I am adding fields and trying to create the appearance of boxes using lines and the lengths do not adjust a pixel at a time. Using the mouse they move about 8 pixels at a time. This is very frustrating trying to line everything up correctly. I would appreciate any solutions to this problem. Al, Try highlighting the line (or click on the line) then press the CTRL or SHIFT Key then use the arrow keys. Hope this helps. Gerald "Al" wrote: > I am modifying a report and I am adding fields and trying to create the > appearance of boxes using lin...

Report Server Name in VBA
I'm adding a button in GP to launch an SRS report, but I don't want to hard code the report server name in the VBA. The button will no longer work if the client ever changes their report server. I'd like to pull the report server name and append the report name and parameter to create the URL I'm using to call the report. Is there any way to dynamically determine the report server in VBA - perhaps thru a dll? Thanks in advance! ba_wvu: Try this: 1. Add the Report Server window to your VBA project (Tools - Setup - System - SQL reporting services 2. Add the Cancel Bu...

Questions About CRM Data Copying and Synchronization between Serve
We have a 2 CRM3.0 Servers installed at disparate locations. The 2 servers contain both same and different data at the same time. For example, one server might contain the same user names and contacts as the other server, but it also contains users and contacts that do not exist on the other server and vice versa. The same also applies for other things: Leads, Opportunities, Products, .... etc My questions are as follows: Q1: If we are to keep the 2 servers as they are now, is there a way to schedule synchronizing the data between the 2 servers intelligently, so that both servers even...

question -- using a template
Hi, I downloaded the free "Our Organization's Telephone List" template for Excel from the Microsoft site. Once I get the information in, I would like to export this file to Outlook, as a group in the address book. From there, I want to export this group into my address book in Outlook Express (which I believe can easily be done). It seems like a lot of work to get this file into OE, but I don't know of any other way, or if this 'round about way will even work. The reason I want the information on this template is so I can share this list with another board member of ...

Question on Process.Start
I have a program that starts a second program with Process p = Process.Start(...). I expect p.Handle to hold the handle of the started process, which I then use in a series of SendMessage Calls, eg, SendMessage (p.Handle, 0x800+1, 0, 0). However, p.Handle is not the handle of the started process. I know this because, when the new process starts, it writes its own handle in the caption of the window, and it does not match p.Handle. Also, if I jigger the first program in the debugger, and use what I know to be the handle in the SendMessage calls, it works fine. What is going wron...

Excel 2003 - bar chart
Hi - I've got an Excel 2003 Bar Chart that's currently being "fed" with the data in a simple 2-column Table (Table 1) - column A is the last day of a given month, and column B is the total number of Events that happened in that month. The chart is simple: the X axis data points represent the months, by last day, and the Y axis data points represent the number of Events. I want to change this. I have a second, unrelated table (Table 2) from which I have been manually extracting or deriving the data that I've been inputting into Table 1. Table 2 is a multi-column list o...

Crystal Reports Corrupted??
Howdy, I am getting an error message when I try to run the timecard report from crystal reports utility. It says there is an error in the file timcard.rpt "error in formula <date in> the remaining text does not appear to be a part of the formula" Can someone fill me in or send me the uncorruped report file? thx -- Jon Kahn Confluence Kayaks you can get it from your installation cd "confluencekayaks" <confluencekayaks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43410151-BEDB-4054-8D72-574B5CF92042@microsoft.com... > Howdy, > > I am getti...

Questions about Strange ReCalc Behavior
I'm currently struggling with an MOAS (that's "Mother of All Spreadsheets") that someone else at work has given to me. It's 28 MB and takes several seconds to re-calculate. I'm in the process of trying to diagnose ways in which I can make it more efficient (Ultimately I'll need to run it as part of a Monte Carlo simulation--25,000 recalcs, so every second is important). I've run into a couple of peculiar Excel behaviors. Can anyone explain these? 1) I can do an F9 recalc on any sheet. However, there are a couple of sheets (out of maybe 15) which, if I...

Jet Reports and Excel
Hi, I am working with Jet reports in Excel and have the following questions. * I want to invoke the execution of a Jet Report from an installed Jet Report plugin. How do I do it using a Excel macro? * I am running Jet Reports with Excel and on completion of a report, I want to perform a few tasks. How do I know that a report has been generated from within an Excel macro? Thanks. ...

Double byte (Japanese) character question
Access 2003 I have a primarykey column. I am using text as primary key (ok not the best decision). The PK field contains Japanese double byte and single byte characters. For some reason, C and C are considered the same ("C") so I get a PK violation. C = double byte character C = single byte character Is there any way around this? I am listing file names in a folder, and using path + file name as PK. Basically in Explorer as file names, they are considered different. Being MS product, I don't know why it is not consistent in Access. JB ...

Unable to use Reporting
Hello. I just got finished my installation of Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Small Business on my SBS server. I am using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Standard and I am unable to use any of the reporting functions of the CRM. When I look at my deployment manager it shows the correct URL to my ReportServer and when I load up the ReportServer URL I can see that something for the CRM was created but when I click on any of the Reports links anywhere in the CRM I get the error message "An error has occured. For more information, contact your system administrator. I am stuck. I don't k...

Reports problem in database???
I have a problem that just occured - suddenly I can't open my reports in my database in any fashion - except for one??? You click on them and nothing. Funny thing is one of the reports that I worked on last, works perfectly!! I checked other databases on my computer (microsoft provided samples with program) - I can't open reports in these either. Any ideas - this is really causing me a serious work problem. Thanks - Mark Normally this is caused by either no default printer specified in the Windows Control Panel or an out-of-date printer driver. I expect the report that is w...

Report formatting hangs
I have a report (rptHV) that uses a query (qryHV) as its record source. The user opens a form (frmHVClient), chooses a name from a combo box, and then clicks a command button (cmdClient) to run the report. The report works fine as long as certain client names are not chosen. If those certain client names are chosen, a progress bar appears in the status area with the message, "Formatting report - press ctrl + Break to stop..." and the report hangs and never formats at all. Coincidentally (or not) the clients that cause the issue are all assigned to the same staff me...

Outlook 2007
In Outlook 2003 you could view the 7-day work week calendar in a 2- column display instead of the 7 day (side-by-side calendar). Does anyone know if this is not available in Outlook 2007? Not everyone cares for the 7-day vertical calendar. Thanks, Linda. outlook 2007 does not have that view. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net Outlook Tips: http://w...

Unable to download report definition
I am trying to download a report definition from the Reports list in CRM. However,I get the following error: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: The permissions granted to user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE' are insufficient for performing this operation. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.AccessDeniedException: The permissions granted to user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE' are insufficient for performing this operation. at Microsoft.ReportingServices.Library.GetReportDefinitionAction._GetReportDefinition(String report) at Microsoft.Re...

refresh excel data weekly question
I have a multi-user spreadsheet that needs to get refreshed with new and updated excel data on a regular basis. My team keep notes and updates some fields/columns. My desire is to bring in the wholly new rows and the updated existing rows and not overwrite the fields/columns that my team is writing into. There is a column of unique data elements that would be considered a key field in a dbms. I could do this in 30 seconds with a database but I'm having trouble figuring it out in Excel (which I have to use). From what I've been reading it appears I have to set up the incoming new data ...

Question about User Form Window Size on Chip Petersons Site
I have a User Form that I need to adjust to fit the users computer. So far I not found anyway to get the User Form Window to Adjust. I can adjust the User Form sixe, but the Main Window the Form located is in is still bigger than the Screen. I saw on Chip Petersons site exactly what I need. His code allows complete control over the User Form just as if it was a regular window. Can anyone help me with this code? http://www.cpearson.com/Excel/formcontrol.aspx There are various ways, this is probably the easiest although it may hide the task bar Private Declare Function Se...

Exch 2003 "Directory Access" question
In our domain we have 3 domain controllers, 2 in our main site and 1 in a remote site. When I go to Exchange System Manager->Servers->EXCHServer and right-click it and then go to Properties. On the "Directoy Access" tab it shows the various domain controllers used by Exchange. None of the two domain controllers in the our main site are listed, just the one at the remote site.The exchange server is IN the main site. I could add them "manually", but the warning message indicates that this is not a suggested method. Anyone have any ideas of what is happening here...

How to make receipts with reports.
Hello. Maybe the question isnt about reports at all, but i have a problem of making a simple database of a shop for example which sells products to customers, looking through the inventory table and selecting the what the customers wants to buy with a Yes/No field. but that creates a problem of quantity..unless i create another field which in some function or condition will multiply the price.... and then keep it in the database with the current day to be like a shoppers history... but that seems too much for something that simple... can anyone give me an advice or an example of a simple shop ...

Individual task reporting as percentage not by hours
Is there a way to configure Project Server to have individuals report on their task by percentage, not by hours? But I would like to be able to see both. Thank you for all you help Kirsten Check Server Settings > Task Settings to toggle between the three methods of reporting. Optionally, you could set a standard, or allow the PMs to change by project (which I've never seen done). You can display both. "Kirsten" wrote: > Is there a way to configure Project Server to have individuals report on > their task by percentage, not by hours? But I woul...

dialog based implementation
The member function OnExtraInit will place two dialogs (dlg1 and dlg2) side by side. dlg1 refers to the dialog pertaining to the class trs_lsr_cmd_dlg while dlg2 refers to the dialog for class trs_lsr_status_dlg. So now: trs_lsr_cmd_dlg::trs_lsr_cmd_dlg(trs_lsr_ctrl_dlg_main* pParent /*=NULL*/) : CDialog(trs_lsr_cmd_dlg::IDD, pParent) { m_hIcon = AfxGetApp()->LoadIcon(IDI_LSR_TRS_ICON); VERIFY(ptr_trs_lsr_status_dlg = new trs_lsr_status_dlg(pParent)); VERIFY(ptr_trs_test_dlg = new trs_test_dlg(pParent)); m_pParent = pParent; } trs_lsr_cmd_dlg::~trs_lsr_cmd_dlg() { if (ptr_trs...

Exchange 5.5 to 2003 co-exist question
Hello. We've been performing testing and doing research on a migration procedure from Exchange 5.5 to 2003 and have some odd results. The current system is a straightforward single org, single site 5.5 system with about servers and 2000 users. We will be performing an intra-org migration. The NT domain will not be upgraded, instead trusts will be set between the NT and 2003 domains. It's not going to be a big bang approach but instead a rolling migration over a couple of months. Documentation and postings point out not to enable ADC created place holders, no problem with tha...

Customized Grouping in MS Access 2003 Reports
I am attempting to group records in an MS Access 2003 report by using a field in the table that is different from the one entered into each record. In other words, the groupings available to me are alphabetical or numeric only, but I want to create my own "custom" sort by using the key code for that underlying table, which is numerical, and in the sequence I want . Each record contains a "Status" field ... these are "National", "Regional", "Provisional", "or "None", but Access won't display them in that sequence...

Licence question 02-14-10
Hi, I just bought a new laptop to replace my old one since it had some faluts. For this reason I would like to install office 2007. I know that you can install ms office in 3 pcs, which I already have, my question is: If I uninstal office from my old PC, can i install ut in my new PC or should I buy office again. I dont want that my licence is catalogued as pirate. The answer depends on which edition of Office 2007 you have now. If you have Home and Student, you can install it on three computers. If you have Professional, I believe it is one desktop and one laptop. If it i...