Reporting on user logon and time in CRM

Is there any possible way to report on when users log into CRM and how long
they are in? Any thoughts or insight is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Sean
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Aaron and I bounced a couple of ideas around before he left, but we never
came up with anything that would work consistently. The problem is that the
whole nature of HTTP is that it's stateless. We get around some of that by
caching a bit of information in the application tier, and that was the core
of the original idea. That is, could we use the cache insert time to
determine, within the cache timeout time, the last time a user connected to
CRM? The answer was a solid "maybe" with a strong lean toward "no".

--
Mj Miller
Technical Lead

"Sean Donnelly" <SeanDonnelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there any possible way to report on when users log into CRM and how
> long
> they are in? Any thoughts or insight is greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Sean

0
Mj
12/10/2004 9:05:30 PM
Would using the logs of the IIS Server be feasible?  That is assuming a lot
of things, and also the fact that it is only a best guess, and that there is
only one front crm server?
Regards
Rihan

"Mj Miller (MSFT)" <mikemill@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Aaron and I bounced a couple of ideas around before he left, but we never
> came up with anything that would work consistently. The problem is that
> the whole nature of HTTP is that it's stateless. We get around some of
> that by caching a bit of information in the application tier, and that was
> the core of the original idea. That is, could we use the cache insert time
> to determine, within the cache timeout time, the last time a user
> connected to CRM? The answer was a solid "maybe" with a strong lean toward
> "no".
>
> --
> Mj Miller
> Technical Lead
> Microsoft CRM

> rights.
>
> "Sean Donnelly" <SeanDonnelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Is there any possible way to report on when users log into CRM and how
>> long
>> they are in? Any thoughts or insight is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sean

0
Rihan
12/13/2004 5:01:46 AM
The logs would give you the same basic info that MJ is referring too and that is
just when the "last" acion was taken.  You can't easily determine if the user is
still actively on the system.  Did they close the IE window or are they just
"between" clicks.  That's the problem with HTTP.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:01:46 +0200, <Rihan Meij> wrote:

Would using the logs of the IIS Server be feasible?  That is assuming a lot
of things, and also the fact that it is only a best guess, and that there is
only one front crm server?
Regards
Rihan

"Mj Miller (MSFT)" <mikemill@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Aaron and I bounced a couple of ideas around before he left, but we never
> came up with anything that would work consistently. The problem is that
> the whole nature of HTTP is that it's stateless. We get around some of
> that by caching a bit of information in the application tier, and that was
> the core of the original idea. That is, could we use the cache insert time
> to determine, within the cache timeout time, the last time a user
> connected to CRM? The answer was a solid "maybe" with a strong lean toward
> "no".
>
> --
> Mj Miller
> Technical Lead
> Microsoft CRM

> rights.
>
> "Sean Donnelly" <SeanDonnelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Is there any possible way to report on when users log into CRM and how
>> long
>> they are in? Any thoughts or insight is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Sean

0
Matt
12/13/2004 8:16:26 AM
First thank you to all who replied. I assumed that this would be the answer,
I was just hoping hear the opposite. Maybe in the next release?

Regards all.

Sean

"Matt Parks" wrote:

> The logs would give you the same basic info that MJ is referring too and that is
> just when the "last" acion was taken.  You can't easily determine if the user is
> still actively on the system.  Did they close the IE window or are they just
> "between" clicks.  That's the problem with HTTP.
>
> Matt Parks
> MVP - Microsoft CRM

> On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 07:01:46 +0200, <Rihan Meij> wrote:
>
> Would using the logs of the IIS Server be feasible?  That is assuming a lot
> of things, and also the fact that it is only a best guess, and that there is
> only one front crm server?
> Regards
> Rihan
>
> "Mj Miller (MSFT)" <mikemill@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Aaron and I bounced a couple of ideas around before he left, but we never
> > came up with anything that would work consistently. The problem is that
> > the whole nature of HTTP is that it's stateless. We get around some of
> > that by caching a bit of information in the application tier, and that was
> > the core of the original idea. That is, could we use the cache insert time
> > to determine, within the cache timeout time, the last time a user
> > connected to CRM? The answer was a solid "maybe" with a strong lean toward
> > "no".
> >
> > --
> > Mj Miller
> > Technical Lead
> > Microsoft CRM

> > rights.
> >
> > "Sean Donnelly" <SeanDonnelly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Is there any possible way to report on when users log into CRM and how
> >> long
> >> they are in? Any thoughts or insight is greatly appreciated.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Sean

CRM 3.0 Implementation

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

Removing multiple users from Outlook

open two different Access reports

crm 3.0 error 03-01-06

Input to custom reports

CRM 3.0 Login Problems

Unable to sort on customer CRM 4.0

question about Time

Time Clock Systems
Does anyone have a recommendation for a time clock system that integrates well with GP? On Oct 5, 10:20 am, kcd <k...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone have a recommendation for a time clock system that integrates > well with GP? We just implemented Time Matrix by Business Computers (www.business- computers.com) and are very happy with it. We implemented quickly the hardware wasn't propietary or complicated so we were able to source our own stuff. Troy I can speak highly of Unitime's time and attendance system. They are a relatively low cost solution t...

Short time vs short date

isinteg reports configuring tstmgr failed : ecBadVersion
we have lost our mail after NAV did it's worst. have performed eseutil /p and /d as suggested elsewhere now get error from isinteg help please Update - have now sorted this thanks ...

CRM Email Displays Size=2>

Topic- Implementation Methodology covered in CRM Exam!
Hi Next week I am apearing for Exam "CRM Instalation & confirguration". I am in doubt that cheptor "Implementation Methodology" is covered in Exam? I can not found above topic it in following course note! https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/communities/trainin g/Certifications/exampreparation/MBS_CRM_Install_prep.htm#T opics Your answer will help me to Read above Topic for Exam point of View or note? Best regards Kesh Patel Kesh. I passed the "Installation & Configuration" (MS-03-010) exam yesterday. The "implementation methodology&q...

Crystal Report Launch 2
(sorry to repost this thread, but this was too old and I got no respones!) Can anyone explain this better? I can't find any documentation about this.........and techknowledge seems to be useless: http://www.greatplains.com/TechKnowledge/techknowledge.asp?print=true&id=28987&code=7842 can anyone show an example? I tried looking at the url of a report (almost a mile long!) and I indeed saw the paramters I put, but when I try to reopen that url in another browser I get this error: Unable to connect: incorrect log on parameters. File 7c433cc1d949d16.rpt. any help would be greatly ...