Redeployment of CRM to create a DEV environment

We currently have a CRM Prod and CRM Dev environment.  They were setup by
Consultants/Integrators when we rolled out a year ago.  Our Dev enviroment's
data has stayed pretty static since we rolled out since we weren't really
sure about how to do a restore of Prod to it.  At this point, we'd really
like to get a true up-to-date Dev environment in order to do a full systems
test of a product configurator add-on that we purchased.  My understanding is
that updating a Dev enviroment is done using the Reployment Wizard.  I'm
reading through the "Redeploying Microsoft 3.0" document and have a few
questions:

1) If we already have a Dev enviroment setup, do we need to do all of the
steps outlined in this document?  Can we skip step 3 (Install Servers and
Configure Users) and step 6 (Install Microsoft CRM)?  Can we skip any other
steps?

2) Will the GUIDs match in both systems in every table?  Will, say, the
Account GUIDs be the same in both PROD and DEV?  Will the systemuser GUIDs be
the same in both?  (I ask about GUIDs because our integrators set up Scribe
XREF tables that translate Great Plains account/address/product updates to
CRM using the actual CRM GUIDs in the XREF table -- so, if the GUIDs aren't
the same it will break the XREF table in our Dev environment of
CRM-GP-Scribe.)

Thanks for any help!
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Because of how CRM licensing works, you cannot run the same copy of
CRM on both production and dev machines; they have to be seperately
purchased copies.  This licensing is enforced by Microsoft through a
unique GUID that gets assigned to each running copy (it won't be the
same between the machines).  This GUID is also linked into all of the
CRM data records.  Also, all of the ownership fields in the CRM data
records refer to the GUIDs used by each Active Directory User Account
on the machine.  Even if you setup the same users on the other
machine, these GUIDs for these accounts will not be the same.

Just "redeploying" the data by copying it over won't work - the data
has to also be remapped to be transferred to the other machine.

There are several ways to do this.  You can use Microsoft's DMF 3.0
(which requires you to do some of the mapping), Scribe (which comes
pre-programmed to do this mapping), or the somewhat limited CRM user
facility to import/export data to and from Microsoft Excel in some CRM
screens.

DMF is free.  Scribe is expensive.  The CRM import/export screen
facility is very limited.

0
Andy
8/3/2007 2:41:46 PM
I think re-using your CRM license on another server likely violates your
license agreement, so you might want to keep that in mind.  If you have an
MSDN subscription, you can use the 10-user key found there for your DEV
environment (assuming 10 users is enough).

As for the stuff you care about:

there is no decent way to update the data in your DEV environment.  As Andy
posted, DMF and Scribe might be able to do it, but there is cost and/or a
curve associated with both.  Although sounds like you already have Scribe...

The simplest way to make a copy of PROD in DEV, is to re-deploy.  if you
follow the steps in the guide, and assuming you don't have a lot of ISV
customizations, you should be up and running in 2 or 3 hours.  Yes, you have
to unintall CRM, and re-install it, but that should take 30 minutes.

All the guids of most of your data records will remain unchanged.
Redeployment will alter guids of things that you shouldn't really be
concerned with anyway (organizationID, business unit IDs,
activedirectoryGUIDs).

Your accountids and systemuserids should be the same between PROD and DEV.

Hope this helps

Dave Ireland

"Bacons" <Bacons@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We currently have a CRM Prod and CRM Dev environment.  They were setup by
> Consultants/Integrators when we rolled out a year ago.  Our Dev
> enviroment's
> data has stayed pretty static since we rolled out since we weren't really
> sure about how to do a restore of Prod to it.  At this point, we'd really
> like to get a true up-to-date Dev environment in order to do a full
> systems
> test of a product configurator add-on that we purchased.  My understanding
> is
> that updating a Dev enviroment is done using the Reployment Wizard.  I'm
> reading through the "Redeploying Microsoft 3.0" document and have a few
> questions:
>
> 1) If we already have a Dev enviroment setup, do we need to do all of the
> steps outlined in this document?  Can we skip step 3 (Install Servers and
> Configure Users) and step 6 (Install Microsoft CRM)?  Can we skip any
> other
> steps?
>
> 2) Will the GUIDs match in both systems in every table?  Will, say, the
> Account GUIDs be the same in both PROD and DEV?  Will the systemuser GUIDs
> be
> the same in both?  (I ask about GUIDs because our integrators set up
> Scribe
> XREF tables that translate Great Plains account/address/product updates to
> CRM using the actual CRM GUIDs in the XREF table -- so, if the GUIDs
> aren't
> the same it will break the XREF table in our Dev environment of
> CRM-GP-Scribe.)
>
> Thanks for any help!

0
Dave

CRM 4.0 queue issue
Hi, I've run into this in CRM 3.0 (and honestly, I don't know what I did to fix it). But now it's happening in CRM 4.0. I have a queue, and a user with an email address. I want all email that is sent to this user to also appear in the CRM queue. I have it working, it's just that I'm getting everything twice. Once as an email from the original sender, and once from the recipient to the recipient, with the original email as an attachment. For example, kbriscoe@domain.com sends an email to ITSupport@domain.com (Our queue's email address is ITSupport@domain.com). T...

CRM token Limit
Hello, the CRM Token is limited (e.g. 0000 - 9999). What happends when I send a eMail after 9999??? greetings, Stefan It will start at 1 again. Crm just assumes that by the time it roles over the conversations have fininished -- Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD) Lead Developer Aviva IT Web: aviva-it.nl "Stefan" wrote: > Hello, > > the CRM Token is limited (e.g. 0000 - 9999). What happends when I send a > eMail after 9999??? > > greetings, > Stefan ...

CRM 4.0: WebSite deployment problem
CRM 4.0: I cannot deploy my WebSite in the CRM WebSite, below is the error: 'Microsoft.Crm.WebServices.Crm2007.MultipleOrganizationSoapHeaderAuthentica­tionProvider, Microsoft.Crm.WebServices, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' doesn't exist. Parameter name: Microsoft.Crm.WebServices.Crm2007.MultipleOrganizationSoapHeaderAuthenticat­ionProvider, Microsoft.Crm.WebServices, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35 Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request....

Microsoft CRM 3.0 (KB922815) Installation Error
When i try to install Update Rollup 1 for MSCRM 3.0 i get following error. Setup could not find Microsoft CRM 3.0 Server or you have a mismatch between update language and Microsoft CRM language. The installation of this update has stopped. Is this rollup language dependent? I have a swedish installation of MSCRM. Thanks! // Mats ------=_NextPart_0001_11F19277 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Yes this rollup is language dependent. You need to install SVE(swedish - sweden) UR1 package. Thanks, Indira Dhingra This posting is provided "AS IS" with no...

infratructure for 2500 users CRM
I am a Microsoft Partener from Romania and I would like to know how many CRM Servers is necesary for 2500 users. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=ae96447d...

CRM 3.0 internal recipients don't recieve mails
Hi everybody... We've installed CRM 3.0, including the Exchange Route Component on an Exchange Server 2003. Inbound and outbound mails, mail tracking and so on are working correctly, but if someone sends an email using the CRM WebInterface or the CRM Outlook Client and uses an email-recipient of our internal domain (e.g. as TO, CC or BCC with adress username@mydomain.com) the mail is not send. An activity that describes that email ist correctly generated by the CRM, but the mail itself is not send to any of the listed recipients, if at least one of them belongs to our domain. Doe...

MS CRM 4.0 Rollup 2 error Data ProductInfo.ExistingLanguage is not available
Recently upgraded to CRM 4.0. Details are as follows - CRM is on premise - 60 Outlook clients - 32 bit server w/ SRS and Exchange router on CRM server - 64 bit DB CRM 4.0 upgrade goes well. Server application of Rollup 2 works fine. Most of my 60 Outlook clients are getting a popup upon running the rollup 2 .EXE: "Data ProductInfo.ExistingLanguage is not available" These are all US English installs (language id 1033). This is not a multi-language install. All users were made "local admins" for the purpose of the client upgrade to 4.0 as well as the rollup install. About...

CRM V3 localized version
Hi Does anyone know any info on v3.0 localized versions (to be available in first quarter 2006)? I need to know if it will be possible to migrate or redeploy from v3 international edition to v3 localized edition? Thanks a lot ...

create xml document based from schema
I have the following schema. I need to know how to make an xml document based from it. The main worry I have is the DateTime field. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <xs:schema attributeFormDefault="unqualified" elementFormDefault="qualified" xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"> <xs:element name="NewsArticle"> <xs:complexType> <xs:sequence> <xs:element name="Description" type="xs:string" /> <xs:element name="Body" type="xs:string" />...

creating labels
hi, how can i create labels so I can input about 100 names and they will print off in a label style, Ive tried everything please help!! -- \m/ O_O \m/ Laura..... :) Liverpool, England Laura, I would do a mail merge with word, For help on Word mail merge using Excel as the data source have a look here http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups s...

Creating a new default message template
I have a email template that I want to make the default. In other words, when you click on New to create a new email, I want the message template that I have created to come up as the default. Does anyone know how to do this? What you are proposing is a very bad idea. Using a custom form as the = default for new messages will guarantee that non-Outlook recipients = won't be able to read attachments you send.=20 I'd suggest that you back up and explain what functionality you were = hoping to add by changing the message form, and in what version of = Outlook.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, ...

can't reply or can't create
I have Outlook 6.0 in my Windows 2000 computer. I can't reply or create new message but I can read the message. The "Reply" "new" "forword" and "reply all" button are dead. I can't highlight those button. Does anyone has any problme of this? Plez let me know <mmdir2002@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:1106036722.098189.74470@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > > I have Outlook 6.0 in my Windows 2000 computer. > I can't reply or create new message but I can read the message. > The "Reply" "new" "f...

Scribe Migration For SalesLogix to CRM
Does anyone know of any private or public Scribe templates for SalesLogix to CRM? Did you check the Scribe Community Web site? That is where they post their templates. "MD" wrote: > Does anyone know of any private or public Scribe templates for SalesLogix to > CRM? I did. Even spoke with our Rep there and they currently have no templates available. Seems it would be a conflict of interests. I'm not concerned about the main Enitities (Account, Contact, Opportunity, Ticket/Case), which are pretty simple to create. I'm more concerned about the Activities/Histor...

COleSafeArray::Create throws CMemoryException
Hi why does COleSafeArray::Create throw a CMemoryException if the array to create is larger than ullAvailPhys but smaller then ullAvailVirtual as returned by GlobalMemoryStatusEx Are all safearrays kept in physical memory and not swapped to page file I use Windows XP Thank HS ...

Need to create an automatic hyperlink
I'm using Excel 2003, Windows XP. Okay I have a workbook with a main spreadsheet and about 150 other spreadsheets with images in them. I have the names of the other spreadsheets in cell b2. How do I create a hyperlink that will concantenate the name in cell b2 to a hyperlink and point it to the spreadsheet with that name? I know I can do it by manually selecting each cell and hyperlinking manually, but with over 150 it's taking a while. Thanks. I tried =HYPERLINK("file:////"&b2,"Click me!") and it fails (can't find specified file)...

limit create window/control max count?
Hi all. I am testing a create control. But I want create many control (more 10000) in dialog. I test dynamic create CButton. It's created about 9800. I want work. 1. have a two dialog.(A, B) 2. A dialog has 40 controls(Button, Spin, static). 3. B dialog has contain A dialog. A dialog is more than 200. 4. create A dialog dynamic.(Using A->Create(IDD, this)) and attach B dialog. A dialog is modaless. 5. But not create about 190. dialog create function return 0. thank for read. Have a nice day. You need to redesign your system, IMO. -- - Mark Randall http://zetech.swehli.com...

Question about CRM and Great Plains Integration
Can I create invoice when I invoice a contract in CRM and then show the record in the Great Plains ? Thanks in advance ...

Strange Error (CRM 1.2)
Hi, I have a Virtual PC configuration set up for CRM demos. I have one image that has CRM 1.2 under Windows 2003 server. It is all configured and setup and running fine. I have another image with Windows XP configured. The two images see each other and communicate. From my Windows XP image I can access CRM both via browser and Outlook Client. However, occassionally I can't access the system via Outlook and when I try it via the browser I get a screen coming up with "Sonic Wall" on it asking for a login and password. If I enter in "Administrator" for the login...

IBF for Microsoft CRM now available
Great news to pass along. After a much longer wait than anyone imagined, our IBF solution for Microsoft CRM is now available. It took us a ton of work to get the performance and security of this solution right, but I think you'll find it's well worth the wait! The number of new scenarios enabled and the ability to access Microsoft CRM data from directly inside of your favorite Microsoft Office applications is really compelling. You can download the solution from: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=332BEFFB-4492-40D7-8CE0-995489909B6A&displaylang=en Join me...

Problem creating 2003 PST file
Hi, I am currently running Outlook 2003 (Client). I am trying to create a new PST file. However when I try to add a new file (file\new\outlook data file\) I can only select: Outlook 97-2002 Personal Folder File. On the microsoft website it says I should see something like "Office Outlook Personal Folders File (.pst)" but it is not listed. Is there any way to correct this?? I am running Outlook 2003 SP1. Thanks for any help, Wouter Hi, Kan iemand mij helpen? Het moet mogelijk zijn om bij het verzenden van een emailtje de afzender te veranderen. Ooit wist ik het, maar ik ben...

Creating users via powershell
I am using the windows powershell cmdlets to set up new users automatically in AD 2003. I am particularly using the cmdlets from quest such get-qaduser and new-qaduser. To setup bulk number of users I have to setup a csv file and then import them into the script. The script is below: #Get-UserGroups.ps1 #sample CSV heading # "Name,Firstname,Lastname,SAMAccountname,Telephone,Office,Department,Title,City,Company" $file="C:\employees.csv" if ((Get-Item $file -ea "silentlycontinue" ).exists) { Import-Csv $file | ForEach-Object { ...

Cannot view any form in crm 3.0
We have just installed CRM 3.0 on MS server 2003. I have created an account which has a system administrator role assigned to it. The issue is that when I open CRM web (on the server) when I select account, contact, activities, calendar etc... I get the following error: An error has occured. For more information, contact your system administrator. Now if I open CRM web using an account which has restricted access mode ticked, I don't get any errors, everything opens fine. The problem is that with an restricted access code i can't do much. I have tried assigning different roles ...

Creating a task with a duration = sum of all tasks durations
Is it possible to have a task that has a duration equal the sum of the duration for a set of tasks and that has work for that task calculated automatically based on a formula of say number of hours per day times the number of days duration? Duration is not additive but work is. Imagine a summary task that has 3 subtasks, each of which lasts one day. If the three are in parallel, starting together, they all finish at the same timne and all work on the summary is complete since all work on its children is complete, The summary task duration is 1 day. But as to work, each subt...

CRM Callout error (ComException) 02-03-04
I followed the example of Microsoft on how to create a Callout COM interface (found at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmbscrm1_2/html/mbs_crmPostCalloutsv1d2.asp). But I keep getting the same error. System.Runtime.InteropSevices.ComException: The file name is too long. I used very short names so I don't understand where this error would come from. Anybody got any idea's or encountered this in the past? Regards, RBakkers ...

A SQL error has occurred. Going off line with Outlook CRM 4.
I have seen this in multiple workstations. Running the diagnostics, does not report any errors, however removing the temprary data under advenced fixes the problem by deleting the content of the off line database. The problem with this fix is that it may take up to 12 hours for some of our overseas employees to do their initial off line. When is SP1 due? ...