Problem running MS CRM 3.0 over SSL (https)

I have setup an install of Microsoft CRM 3.0 on a high spec Windows 2003 
Small Business Server and it all worked happily.

I then generated an SSL certificate and applied it to the site in IIS.

Initially when you load CRM (using the web client) it loads the left hand 
menu and navigation panes and shows the top menus and the user which is 
logged in however to main content area remains blank. After a time out period 
the error "An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system 
administrator" appears.

The strange thing is you can navigate the menus etc and even edit the 
settings under 'Personalize Workspace'. Some screens do load such as Quick 
Campaigns, and you can create appointments. If you try and load the majority 
of other screens such as Account or Contact, Marketing etc you get the same 
error.

After modifying the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\MSCRM 
- ServerUrl value to reflect that we were now operating over https and 
reopening CRM we got the exact same problem but without the long delay of 
waiting for the error message to appear.

Does anyone have any suggestions or any experience of anything happening 
like this before?
0
Utf
11/2/2006 11:34:02 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

4 Replies
338 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 48

Is SSL set as required, or is it optional (in IIS)?

"Kev W (ccx)" wrote:

> I have setup an install of Microsoft CRM 3.0 on a high spec Windows 2003 
> Small Business Server and it all worked happily.
> 
> I then generated an SSL certificate and applied it to the site in IIS.
> 
> Initially when you load CRM (using the web client) it loads the left hand 
> menu and navigation panes and shows the top menus and the user which is 
> logged in however to main content area remains blank. After a time out period 
> the error "An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system 
> administrator" appears.
> 
> The strange thing is you can navigate the menus etc and even edit the 
> settings under 'Personalize Workspace'. Some screens do load such as Quick 
> Campaigns, and you can create appointments. If you try and load the majority 
> of other screens such as Account or Contact, Marketing etc you get the same 
> error.
> 
> After modifying the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\MSCRM 
> - ServerUrl value to reflect that we were now operating over https and 
> reopening CRM we got the exact same problem but without the long delay of 
> waiting for the error message to appear.
> 
> Does anyone have any suggestions or any experience of anything happening 
> like this before?
0
Utf
11/2/2006 4:05:03 PM
It is set to required, but it is the same problem whether it is required or 
not. If I remove the SSL certificate the application works fine but as soon 
as its there I get problems.

"Chad Fulda" wrote:

> Is SSL set as required, or is it optional (in IIS)?
> 
> "Kev W (ccx)" wrote:
> 
> > I have setup an install of Microsoft CRM 3.0 on a high spec Windows 2003 
> > Small Business Server and it all worked happily.
> > 
> > I then generated an SSL certificate and applied it to the site in IIS.
> > 
> > Initially when you load CRM (using the web client) it loads the left hand 
> > menu and navigation panes and shows the top menus and the user which is 
> > logged in however to main content area remains blank. After a time out period 
> > the error "An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system 
> > administrator" appears.
> > 
> > The strange thing is you can navigate the menus etc and even edit the 
> > settings under 'Personalize Workspace'. Some screens do load such as Quick 
> > Campaigns, and you can create appointments. If you try and load the majority 
> > of other screens such as Account or Contact, Marketing etc you get the same 
> > error.
> > 
> > After modifying the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\MSCRM 
> > - ServerUrl value to reflect that we were now operating over https and 
> > reopening CRM we got the exact same problem but without the long delay of 
> > waiting for the error message to appear.
> > 
> > Does anyone have any suggestions or any experience of anything happening 
> > like this before?
0
Utf
11/2/2006 4:13:02 PM
try use port 80 in stead of 5555 on setup.
this worked for us.

"Kev W (ccx)" wrote:

> It is set to required, but it is the same problem whether it is required or 
> not. If I remove the SSL certificate the application works fine but as soon 
> as its there I get problems.
> 
> "Chad Fulda" wrote:
> 
> > Is SSL set as required, or is it optional (in IIS)?
> > 
> > "Kev W (ccx)" wrote:
> > 
> > > I have setup an install of Microsoft CRM 3.0 on a high spec Windows 2003 
> > > Small Business Server and it all worked happily.
> > > 
> > > I then generated an SSL certificate and applied it to the site in IIS.
> > > 
> > > Initially when you load CRM (using the web client) it loads the left hand 
> > > menu and navigation panes and shows the top menus and the user which is 
> > > logged in however to main content area remains blank. After a time out period 
> > > the error "An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system 
> > > administrator" appears.
> > > 
> > > The strange thing is you can navigate the menus etc and even edit the 
> > > settings under 'Personalize Workspace'. Some screens do load such as Quick 
> > > Campaigns, and you can create appointments. If you try and load the majority 
> > > of other screens such as Account or Contact, Marketing etc you get the same 
> > > error.
> > > 
> > > After modifying the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\MSCRM 
> > > - ServerUrl value to reflect that we were now operating over https and 
> > > reopening CRM we got the exact same problem but without the long delay of 
> > > waiting for the error message to appear.
> > > 
> > > Does anyone have any suggestions or any experience of anything happening 
> > > like this before?
0
Utf
11/2/2006 10:27:02 PM
The problem was caused by trying to set up CRM to be accessed via an external 
address over SSL. (this is possible but the focus should be setting up 
internally)

I had generated the certificate for the public facing address 
'mscrm.madeupdomainname.co.uk' rather than the internally facing address 
'mscrmservername'. 

I had also followed MS Knowledge base article KB910937 which is excellent 
for taking you through modifying the required registry settings when you move 
from hosting CRM over http to https.

When I created the certicate for the internal server name and modified all 
the registry settings as per KB910937 the web client worked as normal 
(obviously I also needed to modify the outlook client settings to point to 
the new address but as that worked without problems anyway this wasn't much 
trouble). 

Obviously the only downside of having the certificate name based on the 
internal server is that when users connect from outside via 
https://mscm.madeupdomainame.co.uk they have to manually approve the 
certificate - a small price to pay for a working system over https that is 
usable both internally and externally.

The correct way to do this is to use the SPVA (Service Provider) version 
which sets up two IIS websites - one for internal use and one for external 
use.
0
Utf
11/3/2006 2:17:01 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

How to restore reports in CRM 4.0
I deleted all of the reports in CRM 4.0 from the GUI (using the X) How can I restore these? Thanks James James, Try the command: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server\Tools>PublishReports.exe MicrosoftCRM Peter Gernburd "JamesE" <JamesE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CC6D924-8FFB-4A59-A790-2CCD58FD2ED0@microsoft.com... >I deleted all of the reports in CRM 4.0 from the GUI (using the X) > How can I restore these? > > Thanks > > James Peter, I have already run this comand and the reports have been added to MS Repo...

Problem in Reply
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop Hi all. <br> I am new to Entourage and Mac. <br> I have a lot of experience with Outlook in Windows. <br><br>When I reply to someone, often, the new email doesn't contains all the original text. <br> I have already checked the configuration and in Preferences / Answer and Forward, there are the first three options selected. <FONT FACE="Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE='font-size:12pt'>On 5/13/10 3:27 AM, in ...

Comments problem
I've created a number of comments. When I position the comments where I want them, they only reflect their positions on "Show" or "Edit" comment. All the comments default to the same relationship to the cells when you pass over them. This is a problem because I've also used data vaildation (with lists) on these cells and you can't display the comment with the list pulled down at the same time because the comments are tool close to the validated cell. Thanks in adavance. The comment usually appears to the right of the cell, and should still allow you to see t...

VBA Help problem
I'm using Office 2003 SP3 on Win 2000 SP4. When I use VBA help, if thee are hyperlinks on the page I get a popup with the following error: "Runtime error has occurred" Line 16: Error: not implemented If I choose debug from this dialog box I am taken to a script and another error popup: "htmlfile: Not implemented" there is a yellow arrow at the line: "document.onclick = window.parent.closeList" Am I missing a reference somewhere in VBA or is this a more serious problem? The Windows 2000 install has been around a long time... I've ...

CRM do not recognize different character set encoding for incoming e-mail???
I have a problem with some of incoming e-mail. If incoming e-mail character set is not unicode but for example Cyrillic then I dont see russian letters, but some scrawl!!! My Outlook recognize all what I need. Whats about CRM??? Sorry about my poor english. ...

Printing problem from Excel 2007
Greetings, I am having an issue with printing from Excel 2007. Many users when printing from Excel with get several pages of non-sensical "junk" printed out on the pages. If it actually prints what is on the page, none of the items are in the cells, but look like they are just randomly thrown about the page. I have found that this most often is related to the Calibri font somehow, because I instruct them to change the font to Arial and all prints fine. That being said, if the user converts the Excel sheet into a PDF and print, it prints perfect. This is a great workaround, but kind ...

Excel Mail Merger Problem
When merging excel with word for..my currrency field is dropping off zeros to the right of decimal point..if field has $ 56.03, it imports correctly, but if it is $56.00, it comes in as $56, if it is $56.30, it comes in as $56.3...this process is for invoices..any advice (I've tried everything)? Debra Dalgleish has given the following reply in newsgroups http://google.com/groups?threadm=3EBB0685.5080002%40contextures.com and has also identified the following MS KB articles in such as : http://google.com/groups?threadm=3DFA8DA8.6000209%40contextures.com 304387 - WD: Date, Phone N...

synchronising problem with Sony NWZ-S545
Up until recently i could sync tracks/albums etc to my sony S545 MP3. now when i try and drag tracks to the sync folder then click start sync the mp3 player just freezes, WMP states "processing" but nothing happens. Have searched the web for a solution but nothing. done sysem restore etc etc. I guess it must be a recent update but what one? Its a pain in the backside and hope someone can help "Wookywoo" wrote: > Up until recently i could sync tracks/albums etc to my sony S545 MP3. now > when i try and drag tracks to the sync folder then click s...

Problem hot synching Outlook 2002 with Palm Pilot
I recently had to reformat my c: drive and reinstall Windows XP and Office XP, including Outlook 2002. Since then, whenever I hot synch my Palm Pilot with Outlook, the hot synch is interrupted with a dialog saying "This action cannot be completed because the 'Inbox Microsoft Outlook' program is not responding. Choose 'Switch to" and connect the problem." When I press the 'Switch to" button, I get a second dialog, which says, "Microsoft Outlook - A program is trying to access e-mail addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this? ...

adding a leading 0 to only the numbers with 4 digits
I'm converting a bunch of data and during the import Excel dropped the leading zero from all the lip codes. Since this is about 15,000 records, I'd like a way to add a leading zero to only the zip codes with 4 characters. Any ideas? thanks Swamp, Format/Cells/Special/Zip Code Beege "SwampYankee" <johndillworth@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1147451549.294898.147230@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com... > I'm converting a bunch of data and during the import Excel dropped the > leading zero from all the lip codes. Since this is about 15,000 > records, I&...

code problem
Hi this is a follow on to a previous thread (Copy Macro) We are now successfully creating a new Workbook using the code below. With ActiveWorkbook FName = .Path & "\code.txt" .VBProject.VBComponents("Module2_sort").Export FName End With ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(Array("Supplier Concerns")).Copy ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:="c:\Week\testing" & strFileName & ".xls" ActiveWorkbook.VBProject.VBComponents.Import FName Problem is when we open the new Workbook and run the macro the code defaults ba...

conversion lotus 123 files to excel -- problem
I am converting lotus123 files to excel2002. One problem is that in lotus, literals are ignored when found in a cell within a formula. Excel on the other hand is not doing this and therefore causing #value errors on all the formulas where this occurs. Is there a way to handle this in excel other than manually having to change all the formulas? ...

Problems printing in Publisher 2003 with HP PSC 2410 #2
I am new to publisher 2003 and am having great difficulties printing anything properly using an HP PSC 2410 all in one. As an example when trying to print a half page side folded pre-designed greetings card all that prints is page 1 and part of page 4, minus any text. Pages 2 and 3 are missing altogether. The print preview however displays everything correctly. I have reinstalled Office 2003 and updated the printer drivers to the latest versions but the problem remains. Any help is much appreciated. ...

Made two versions; both run very slow . Any spare nitro around
I've been recording some macros to append together, but put the following together by writting it (well in my case it's a bitsa from all the good code on this site). However, it runs very slow. Every 3 letter code in cells down column("K") needs to be checked to see if the same is found down column("A"). As a check, I've just been putting a "1" in the same row in column("N"). Latter columns("K:N") can then be sorted on column("N"). Column("A") has 3 letter codes from row 3 to 1402 (but changes each run). Colu...

Sending e-mail to external recipient
Hi, We recently upgraded to CRM 3.0. Since the upgrade Users receive an error when attempting to send e-mails to External recipients. We are able to send e-mails to internal e-mail addresses through CRM, but not to external e-mail addresses. The general error is Failed to Initialize token. I tried a few things, but haven't identified the exact issue. Any help is appreciated! Thank you, Donna You need to ensure that the SMTP service on exchange is configured to access relay requests from the crm web server ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP h...

problem in changing the text of sentences before tables
I am developing a word automation application. In a method of mine, I change the text of some sentences of an opened word file, but the problem is when I change the text of a sentence which located before a table, it will be moved to the first cell of the table. My code is as follow: void myMethod( long startingSentenceNumber, const char *toBeSearched, const char *replacement, bool replace ) { Range currentSentenceRange; Selection sentenceSelection; Sentences sentencesList = m_document.GetSentences(); long sentencesCount = sentencesList.GetCount(); CString replacementCStr(...

Not able to open imported accounts 4.0
We have a situation where we've updated a client from 3.0 to CRM 4.0 and have an import that brings in new Accounts. Unfortunately, we can open accounts that don't have a parent account but can't open the parent account itself. In essence, we have two accounts with another one the parent - we can open ones that show the parent, but again, we get an error - see yor administrator. Is there a rights issue or relational setup we're missing. ...

Service Pack Installation Issues with GP 9.00.0247.0 on Windows Vi
Greetings, I have installed Great Plains v9.00.0114.0 on Windows Vista. I ran the installation package MicrosoftDynamicsGP-KB923671-v9-ENU, but receive the following messages with result of a failed installation of the Service Pack. Log Name: Application Source: MsiInstaller Date: 10/8/2007 11:50:13 AM Event ID: 11729 Task Category: None Level: Information Keywords: Classic User: ABR\administrator Computer: AD088.abr Description: Product: Microsoft Dynamics GP 9.0 -- Configuration failed. Event Xml: <Event xmlns="http://schemas...

save as problem
I cant save my excel file The "save as" option is not eviable. Whats happening? "From a prior post by Ron DeBruin, You can reset your menubar to default. Right click menubar. Customize > Toolbars Tab. Select worksheet menubar. Click Reset button. Using VBA Application : CommandBars(""Worksheet menu bar"").Controls(""File"").Reset Or the whole menubar Application.CommandBars(1).Reset You lost the things you add to the menubar!!" ========================================================== And one link that offers some sugges...

Odd problem with worksheets when opening file
Okay, here's the odd problem that's come up. When you double click on a excel file, excel opens up, but you can onl see the toolbars. The grid area looks like a snapshot of whatever you current background is before the file opened up. If you were showin your desktop, after the excel file opened, you'd still see your deskto in the datagrid area. If you start up a new excel file, then do the File>Open>file name, th file will open correctly. This problem happens across users here. Everyone is currently runnin office 2K. Any ideas on what causes the problem and any...

Can't Install IBF for CRM on CRM Server
first i'm install IBF On my CRM v1.2 (it's name testcrm) after that i'm try to install IBF for CRM on my CRM Server but in Step "Publish Metadata" i'm type "http://testcrm:8082" and click next button but it's show message box "The Information Bridge metadata service location is not avaliable" and can't install it. -_-' . but i can access "http://testcrm:8082/IBFWriteService.asmx" and "http://testcrm:8081/IBFReadService.asmx". so how can i install it ? I had the same problem - try using http://localhost:8082 for...

Problem OL 2002 Email
I am having a problem with OL 2002 email settings. I have two computers which I am setting up. One computer works perfectly. The second computer I have configured exactly the same...incoming/outgoing servers and ports, etc... are all setup the same. On the second computer when I press test email settings, everything tests fine. But when I try to do a Send/Receive, I run into problems. First, the POP3 tries to connect to the POP3 server twice at the same time. (I am able to see this on my POP3 server console.) Second, the SMTP sending mail never connects to my SMTP server. (Ag...

2007 B2 MSOO has encountered a problem
More often then not when I click to open an email in my inbox I get this MSOO pop-up with a checkbox, checked telling me MSOO has encountered a problem and needs to close. Has this been an issue for others and is there a fix. If you have Adobe Acrobat Pro 6/7 (not the reader), go into Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, click change for Adobe Acrobat Pro and remove the Office & Outlook plugins. Patrick Schmid -------------- http://pschmid.net "Jax" <Jax@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A74147F4-CD75-4FF8-98A7-5A18B01A8FDD@microsoft.com: > More of...

Sumproduct Problem (AB)
Hi everyone, can you please sort out this problem for me? SUMPRODUCT(('Client Opening Stock'!B2:B138=$A$1)*('Client Opening Stock'!C2:AH138=A7),'Client Opening Stock'!C2:X138) 'Client Opening Stock'!B2:B138 is the Client Name Client Opening Stock'!C2:AH138 is the Product 'Client Opening Stock'!C2:X138 is the Amount I belive the formula is not the proper formula, but this is the result I need. Thank you for your kind help You need to tell us what the problem is, and what solution you want. Why is it "not the proper formula...

Microsoft CRM 1.2 database export failed 01-27-06
I am receiving this message when I try to upgrade my CRM 1.2 to CRM 3.0, does any one have any idea what this means? ...