problem and solution for MS CRM 3.0 outlook client

Hello,

I installed the CRM 3.0 outlook client, and when I restarted outlook it gave
the following error messages:

There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft CRM server.  The server
might be unavailable.  Try again later.  If the problem persists, contact
your system administrator."

"An error occurred loading Microsoft CRM functionality.  Try restarting
Microsoft Outlook.  Contact your system administrator if errors persist."

I used network monitor to determine that the server was sending back an 401
unauthorized error to the SOAP request WhoAmI.

The solution is to add the CRM website url to your trusted sites.  I suspect
it has something to do with authentication.  Outlook doesn't allow for the
prompting of usernames and passwords, so I suspect it just choked on the
request.

Microsoft - a major improvement would be to fix this problem as I am certain
that many other people will encounter it.

Thanks,
Shan McArthur

crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

If adding the http://crmserver to Trusted Sites does not fix this problem for
you -
I resolved this same problem on a laptop running Office/Outlook 2003
SP-2. In Outlook, go to Tools, Options, Other, Advanced Otions, COM Add Ins,
then REMOVE the Microsoft CRM for Outlook Add In. Close Outlook. Open Outlook
and go back to COM Addins and re-add the Microsoft CRM Addin for Outlook. I
went back to the Client Install Folder at Client\PFiles\MSCRM\Client\bin and
selected the crmaddin.dll file which puts it back in Outlook. Closed Outlook.
Downloaded and ran a re-install of MS XML 4.0 SP2. Opened Outlook and it
fixed the problem, the CRM tool bar and folders appeared and are accessible.

Reinstalling MSXML 4.0 SP2. It is on the client CD or you can install it
from the below location -

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3144b72b-b4f2-46da-b4b6-c5d7485f2b42&displaylang=en

"Shan McArthur" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed the CRM 3.0 outlook client, and when I restarted outlook it gave
> the following error messages:
>
> There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft CRM server.  The server
> might be unavailable.  Try again later.  If the problem persists, contact
> your system administrator."
>
> "An error occurred loading Microsoft CRM functionality.  Try restarting
> Microsoft Outlook.  Contact your system administrator if errors persist."
>
> I used network monitor to determine that the server was sending back an 401
> unauthorized error to the SOAP request WhoAmI.
>
> The solution is to add the CRM website url to your trusted sites.  I suspect
> it has something to do with authentication.  Outlook doesn't allow for the
> prompting of usernames and passwords, so I suspect it just choked on the
> request.
>
> Microsoft - a major improvement would be to fix this problem as I am certain
> that many other people will encounter it.
>
> Thanks,
> Shan McArthur

Hello together

We encountered the same problem with the same error messages. We
followed your guidelines but it does not seem to solve the problem. Has
anybody further ideas how we can make outlook connect to the crm
server. The web client is running without problems on this laptop. I
really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance, Regina

0
Regi
2/6/2006 6:07:20 PM
Also having same problem.  Web client also runs fine.  Site added to "Trusted
Sites"

Regards
Conor

"Regi" wrote:

> Hello together
>
> We encountered the same problem with the same error messages. We
> followed your guidelines but it does not seem to solve the problem. Has
> anybody further ideas how we can make outlook connect to the crm
> server. The web client is running without problems on this laptop. I
> really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance, Regina

I'm having the same problem...

"Conor Crowley" wrote:

> Also having same problem.  Web client also runs fine.  Site added to "Trusted
> Sites"
>
> Regards
> Conor
>
> "Regi" wrote:
>
> > Hello together
> >
> > We encountered the same problem with the same error messages. We
> > followed your guidelines but it does not seem to solve the problem. Has
> > anybody further ideas how we can make outlook connect to the crm
> > server. The web client is running without problems on this laptop. I
> > really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance, Regina

Hi guys,

Is there anything in the event log on the pc or server?

Do the users that your doing the installation under have admin privlidges?
I tend to give them domain admins just for install.

Can the pc do a nslookup to the server from the command prompt  Eg "NSLOOKUP
server" ??

HTH

Regards,
Nathan Warner

"Bob" wrote:

> I'm having the same problem...
>
> "Conor Crowley" wrote:
>
> > Also having same problem.  Web client also runs fine.  Site added to "Trusted
> > Sites"
> >
> > Regards
> > Conor
> >
> > "Regi" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello together
> > >
> > > We encountered the same problem with the same error messages. We
> > > followed your guidelines but it does not seem to solve the problem. Has
> > > anybody further ideas how we can make outlook connect to the crm
> > > server. The web client is running without problems on this laptop. I
> > > really appreciate your help. Thanks in advance, Regina

Hello,

Here is the solution I found on the internet and that worked for me ,
perhaps it could help other peoples.

adding the http://crmserver to local intranet zone instead of trusted sites

I don't know why but if you let it on trusted sites, it does not work at all.
And it's really strange because, it works in every other notebook I have
installed if I let it under trusted sites ???

Does someone have any explanation for this ??

"Nathan Warner" wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Is there anything in the event log on the pc or server?
>
> Do the users that your doing the installation under have admin privlidges?
> I tend to give them domain admins just for install.
>
> Can the pc do a nslookup to the server from the command prompt  Eg "NSLOOKUP
> server" ??
>
> HTH
>
> Regards,
> Nathan Warner
>
> "Bob" wrote:
>
> > I'm having the same problem...
> >
> > "Conor Crowley" wrote:
> >
> > > Also having same problem.  Web client also runs fine.  Site added to "Trusted
> > > Sites"
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Conor

I had the same problem and you're right adding the CRMSERVER to the Local
intranet zone fixed my problem!

Thank you!

"DonVega" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here is the solution I found on the internet and that worked for me ,
> perhaps it could help other peoples.
>
> adding the http://crmserver to local intranet zone instead of trusted sites
>
> I don't know why but if you let it on trusted sites, it does not work at all.
> And it's really strange because, it works in every other notebook I have
> installed if I let it under trusted sites ???
>
> Does someone have any explanation for this ??
>

> "Nathan Warner" wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Is there anything in the event log on the pc or server?
> >
> > Do the users that your doing the installation under have admin privlidges?
> > I tend to give them domain admins just for install.
> >
> > Can the pc do a nslookup to the server from the command prompt  Eg "NSLOOKUP
> > server" ??
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Regards,
> > Nathan Warner
> >
> > "Bob" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm having the same problem...

There is another solution that Matt Parks has given on these forums
The main advantage is that like that everybody has the same config :)
No specialities ;)
It works  Ihave tested it myself :P :D

I have returned IE back to default settings and ....
Deleted the crm site from local intranet site
readded it to the trusted sites ...
and It worked...

NO error message regarding the communication when starting outlook anymore.

"ATS" wrote:

> I had the same problem and you're right adding the CRMSERVER to the Local
> intranet zone fixed my problem!
>
> Thank you!
>
> "DonVega" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Here is the solution I found on the internet and that worked for me ,
> > perhaps it could help other peoples.
> >
> > adding the http://crmserver to local intranet zone instead of trusted sites
> >
> > I don't know why but if you let it on trusted sites, it does not work at all.
> > And it's really strange because, it works in every other notebook I have
> > installed if I let it under trusted sites ???
> >
> > Does someone have any explanation for this ??
> >

> > "Nathan Warner" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > Is there anything in the event log on the pc or server?
> > >
> > > Do the users that your doing the installation under have admin privlidges?
> > > I tend to give them domain admins just for install.
> > >
> > > Can the pc do a nslookup to the server from the command prompt  Eg "NSLOOKUP
> > > server" ??
> > >
> > > HTH
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Nathan Warner

Don,

I have exactly this problem, and adding the server to the local intranet
makes no differenence...  Could you please advise a pointer or subject line
from the solution that Matt provided??  Or perhaps reply with the text of
Matt's solution?

Thanks,
Tim

"DonVega" wrote:

> There is another solution that Matt Parks has given on these forums
> The main advantage is that like that everybody has the same config :)
> No specialities ;)
> It works  Ihave tested it myself :P :D
>
> I have returned IE back to default settings and ....
> Deleted the crm site from local intranet site
> readded it to the trusted sites ...
> and It worked...
>
> NO error message regarding the communication when starting outlook anymore.
>

> "ATS" wrote:
>
> > I had the same problem and you're right adding the CRMSERVER to the Local
> > intranet zone fixed my problem!
> >
> > Thank you!
> >
> > "DonVega" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Here is the solution I found on the internet and that worked for me ,
> > > perhaps it could help other peoples.
> > >
> > > adding the http://crmserver to local intranet zone instead of trusted sites
> > >
> > > I don't know why but if you let it on trusted sites, it does not work at all.
> > > And it's really strange because, it works in every other notebook I have
> > > installed if I let it under trusted sites ???
> > >
> > > Does someone have any explanation for this ??

I am in the same boat as Tim.  I have added and removed the  CRM server to
the intranet zones and trustes sites zone several times.  I have removed the
Outlook add-in and added it back several times.  I have completely
uninstalled the CRM Outlook Client several times, including a Virtual PC
install and de-install for testing, and all efforts have ended the same -
with the Outlook client freezing up Outlook within a minute of application
launch.  If I am able to 'go offline' before Outlook freezes up, then Outlook
seems to work fine.  Of course, I then don't have the CRM integration.   I
don't think I have ever been so frustrated and perplexed by a software
application.

"Tim Failes" wrote:

> Don,
>
> I have exactly this problem, and adding the server to the local intranet
> makes no differenence...  Could you please advise a pointer or subject line
> from the solution that Matt provided??  Or perhaps reply with the text of
> Matt's solution?
>
> Thanks,
> Tim
>
> "DonVega" wrote:
>
> > There is another solution that Matt Parks has given on these forums
> > The main advantage is that like that everybody has the same config :)
> > No specialities ;)
> > It works  Ihave tested it myself :P :D
> >
> > I have returned IE back to default settings and ....
> > Deleted the crm site from local intranet site
> > readded it to the trusted sites ...
> > and It worked...
> >
> > NO error message regarding the communication when starting outlook anymore.
> >

> > "ATS" wrote:
> >
> > > I had the same problem and you're right adding the CRMSERVER to the Local
> > > intranet zone fixed my problem!
> > >
> > > Thank you!

The key to this one is

1. Can you open the CRM address that Outlook is pointing to in IE
without having to use authentication. If you can, Outlook CRM should
work (assuming there are no other issues)

The purpose behind trusted sites/intranet zone is to use the "pass
current user credentials" setting within the local intranet or trusted
sites zone (depending on your organisation's security policies). It is
the very last option on the custom security level screen of IE.

The another 2 things I have found to mess with the connection with
Outlook...

1. Turning off HTTP 1.1 in IE kills the plugin
2. Not bypassing the proxy for local addresses in the Connection
settings of IE under LAN Connections (one client was using ISA on an
SBS Server. When forced through the proxy the communications did not
work)

HTH

Derek

davideward wrote:
> I am in the same boat as Tim.  I have added and removed the  CRM server to
> the intranet zones and trustes sites zone several times.  I have removed the
> Outlook add-in and added it back several times.  I have completely
> uninstalled the CRM Outlook Client several times, including a Virtual PC
> install and de-install for testing, and all efforts have ended the same -
> with the Outlook client freezing up Outlook within a minute of application
> launch.  If I am able to 'go offline' before Outlook freezes up, then Outlook
> seems to work fine.  Of course, I then don't have the CRM integration.   I
> don't think I have ever been so frustrated and perplexed by a software
> application.
>
> "Tim Failes" wrote:
>
> > Don,
> >
> > I have exactly this problem, and adding the server to the local intranet
> > makes no differenence...  Could you please advise a pointer or subject line
> > from the solution that Matt provided??  Or perhaps reply with the text of
> > Matt's solution?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Tim
> >
> > "DonVega" wrote:
> >
> > > There is another solution that Matt Parks has given on these forums
> > > The main advantage is that like that everybody has the same config :)
> > > No specialities ;)
> > > It works  Ihave tested it myself :P :D
> > >
> > > I have returned IE back to default settings and ....
> > > Deleted the crm site from local intranet site
> > > readded it to the trusted sites ...
> > > and It worked...
> > >
> > > NO error message regarding the communication when starting outlook anymore.

0
DerekH
9/24/2006 3:40:42 PM
Hi there,

I tried everything i found here without any success.
I could finally make it work by adding the serveur in the trusted sites AND
personnalised the level (i don't know the exact name in english 'cause i'm
using a french windows).
Under Authentication, i selected "automatic connection with current login
and password"
CRM starts automatically without any passoword in IE and no more problem
under outlook.
good luck,
Chris.

On Dec 18 2006, 10:51 am, Luke B <Luke B...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I am having this same issue myself with 2 different users.  After using the
> Outlook CRM client for 30-60 seconds, Outlook freezes.  Disabling the CRM
> COM-addin in Outlook "fixes" the problem (Outlook doesn't freeze anymore but
> CRM functionality is limited), but it would obviously be ideal if I could
> enable it again.  Any suggestions?
>

> "Travis" wrote:
> > I seem to be having the same issue. Outlook freezes in about a minute after
> > starting. This problem appears to be following one user. I tried builing a
> > new laptop, but if I log on as this particular user Outlook freezes. Anything
> > on the user account I should be looking at?
>
> > Travis
>
> > "Bovens" wrote:
>
> > > Hi there,
>
> > > I tried everything i found here without any success.
> > > I could finally make it work by adding the serveur in the trusted sites AND
> > > personnalised the level (i don't know the exact name in english 'cause i'm
> > > using a french windows).
> > > Under Authentication, i selected "automatic connection with current login
> > > and password"
> > > CRM starts automatically without any passoword in IE and no more problem
> > > under outlook.
> > > good luck,
> > > Chris.

I'm have the exact same issue with 3 users where Outlook is freezing
after 30-60 seconds.  Have you found a solution for this?

0
bnowatzky
2/14/2007 10:04:51 PM
I have just installed CRM in our lab environment and have run into the same
issue (which is really not a good thing to see that SO many users experience
the exact same issues.)  There are no TKs on Customersource about this
either, which in itself is scary.

Outlook can connect and use CRM only with the admin account that I used to
install the client with.  No other user that I log into that PC with will
work.

"Shan McArthur" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I installed the CRM 3.0 outlook client, and when I restarted outlook it gave
> the following error messages:
>
> There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft CRM server.  The server
> might be unavailable.  Try again later.  If the problem persists, contact
> your system administrator."
>
> "An error occurred loading Microsoft CRM functionality.  Try restarting
> Microsoft Outlook.  Contact your system administrator if errors persist."
>
> I used network monitor to determine that the server was sending back an 401
> unauthorized error to the SOAP request WhoAmI.
>
> The solution is to add the CRM website url to your trusted sites.  I suspect
> it has something to do with authentication.  Outlook doesn't allow for the
> prompting of usernames and passwords, so I suspect it just choked on the
> request.
>
> Microsoft - a major improvement would be to fix this problem as I am certain
> that many other people will encounter it.
>
> Thanks,
> Shan McArthur

Thank you!  Adding the http://crmserver to the local intranet zone resolved
my issue when adding a new user to the network domain.

"DonVega" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here is the solution I found on the internet and that worked for me ,
> perhaps it could help other peoples.
>
> adding the http://crmserver to local intranet zone instead of trusted sites
>
> I don't know why but if you let it on trusted sites, it does not work at all.
> And it's really strange because, it works in every other notebook I have
> installed if I let it under trusted sites ???
>
> Does someone have any explanation for this ??
>

> "Nathan Warner" wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > Is there anything in the event log on the pc or server?
> >
> > Do the users that your doing the installation under have admin privlidges?
> > I tend to give them domain admins just for install.
> >
> > Can the pc do a nslookup to the server from the command prompt  Eg "NSLOOKUP
> > server" ??
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Regards,
> > Nathan Warner
> >
> > "Bob" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm having the same problem...

WCF Client serialization problem

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Question -Problem

AD Sync problem

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Excel button problem

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Installation 11-08-07

Reporting from Project Server

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Offline Synchronization Problem #2

Emails #3

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

using the journal on outlook