Potential customer field in Quote

Hi,

Is there a way to make the Potential customer field in Quote entity as
NOT required?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions,

crsb
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

The entire sales process from opportunity up to the invoice requires a
customer. If you don't need the field, create a dummy account and set the
customer id to this dummy account in OnLoad.

--
Michael H�hne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
CRM Blog on http://www.stunnware.com

"crsb" <srinivasa.bharadwaj@gmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to make the Potential customer field in Quote entity as
> NOT required?
>
> Thank you in advance for any suggestions,
>
> crsb

Great ideas from Michael.  Another thought, if you want to have a quote
without a customer, a good way to tackle it is through reporting.  Create a
quote report that does not reference the customer name/address, then do as
Michael suggested and link it to your dummy account, then you could select
the non customer quote report.

"crsb" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to make the Potential customer field in Quote entity as
> NOT required?
>
> Thank you in advance for any suggestions,
>
> crsb

On May 24, 5:04=A0pm, Joel CustomerEffective
<JoelCustomerEffect...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Great ideas from Michael. =A0Another thought, if you want to have a quote
> without a customer, a good way to tackle it is through reporting. =A0Creat=
e a
> quote report that does not reference the customer name/address, then do as=

> Michael suggested and link it to your dummy account, then you could select=

> the non customer quote report.
>

> "crsb" wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > Is there a way to make the Potential customer field in Quote entity as
> > NOT required?
>
> > Thank you in advance for any suggestions,
>
> > crsb- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the nice ideas Michael and Joel! What I wanted to achieve
is to be able to save the quote without entering the Potential
customer field because the client wants it to be that way because they
keep creating random quotes and only when the quote is won they want
it to be an account.

thanks,
crsb
Based on what you are trying to do, the suggestion should work.  Just create
a dummy account called "Prospects" and create new quotes against that
account.  Then, when the quote is won, before closing the quote, create the
account, revise the quote and change the customer to that account, then close
the quote.

The bigges issue with what they are trying to do and not creating accounts
until the customer buys somethign is they are losing a lot of visibility for
pre sales activity.

Even if somebody doesn't buy anything, it doesn't mean that they won't a
year from now, and when they call back, there is value in being able to see
what you have talked about with the person before and what you have quoted
them previously.  If you don't have an account set up, they won't be able to
easily locate that.  That would dilute one of the main benefits of a CRM
system, having a central repository for sales communication.

I would introduce them to the concept of the relationship type field, and
classifying companies based on prospect, customer, etc.  That is the best
practice.  Then they can use opportunity management, and associate the
opportunities to the prospect accounts.
"crsb" wrote:

> On May 24, 5:04 pm, Joel CustomerEffective
> <JoelCustomerEffect...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Great ideas from Michael.  Another thought, if you want to have a quote
> > without a customer, a good way to tackle it is through reporting.  Create a
> > quote report that does not reference the customer name/address, then do as
> > Michael suggested and link it to your dummy account, then you could select
> > the non customer quote report.
> >

> > "crsb" wrote:
> > > Hi,
> >
> > > Is there a way to make the Potential customer field in Quote entity as
> > > NOT required?
> >
> > > Thank you in advance for any suggestions,
> >
> > > crsb- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks for the nice ideas Michael and Joel! What I wanted to achieve
> is to be able to save the quote without entering the Potential
> customer field because the client wants it to be that way because they
> keep creating random quotes and only when the quote is won they want
> it to be an account.
>
> thanks,
> crsb

If the customer wants it this way, then you have to use a workaround.
However, I strongly recommend creating accounts and contacts in the
beginning. What about emails being sent to the customer? They won't be
tracked correctly if you don't have appropriate records in the system. You
can set the regarding field to the quote, but don't have an activity history
assigned to accounts/contacts. And what if a potential customer does not
accept a quote for some reasons, but returns 12 months later. Wouldn't it be
nice to know that you were in contact with them before?

There are a lot of ways to separate customers from prospects, while still
using accounts and contacts for both. An easy option is the customer type
code field, which has appropriate picklist options. You could also add a
custom bit field saying that "this is a customer". Or add two date fields
for "date of first order" and "date of last order" and have a workflow
populate these fields whenever a quote is accepted/order is won/invoice is
paid. Or use reports to filter on any criteria you like.

Sometimes it helps to simply rename "Account" to "Company". If the business
model is so different that it doesn't make sense at all, then disregard
everything I wrote before. But then it may be easier to not enter the quotes
in CRM unless a quote is accepted. I don't see much value in having quotes
in CRM without knowing the company/individual behind.

--
Michael H�hne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP

CRM Blog: http://www.stunnware.com/?area=blog

On May 24, 5:04 pm, Joel CustomerEffective
<JoelCustomerEffect...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Great ideas from Michael. Another thought, if you want to have a quote
> without a customer, a good way to tackle it is through reporting. Create a
> quote report that does not reference the customer name/address, then do as
> Michael suggested and link it to your dummy account, then you could select
> the non customer quote report.
>

> "crsb" wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > Is there a way to make the Potential customer field in Quote entity as
> > NOT required?
>
> > Thank you in advance for any suggestions,
>
> > crsb- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the nice ideas Michael and Joel! What I wanted to achieve
is to be able to save the quote without entering the Potential
customer field because the client wants it to be that way because they
keep creating random quotes and only when the quote is won they want
it to be an account.

thanks,
crsb

Replied a minute ago and wrote almost exactly the same, just to see your
answer after synchronizing. Even used the same sample of a prospect
returning after 12 months. Seems we share the same opinion :-)

--

On May 25, 12:58=A0am, "Michael H=F6hne" <michael.hoe...@nospam.nospam>
wrote:
> [...]

> > without a customer, a good way to tackle it is through reporting. Create=
> > quote report that does not reference the customer name/address, then do =
as
> > Michael suggested and link it to your dummy account, then you could sele=
ct
> > the non customer quote report.
>
> > "crsb" wrote:
> > > Hi,
>
> > > Is there a way to make the Potential customer field in Quote entity as=

> > > NOT required?
>
> > > Thank you in advance for any suggestions,
>
> > > crsb- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks for the nice ideas Michael and Joel! What I wanted to achieve
> is to be able to save the quote without entering the Potential
> customer field because the client wants it to be that way because they
> keep creating random quotes and only when the quote is won they want

Yes, you guys are right ! There are a lot of inconsistencies when you
don't use that field. I am trying to convince them to keep it the CRM
way if they are entering quotes inside CRM!

thanks,

crsb

On May 25, 1:02=A0am, "Michael H=F6hne" <michael.hoe...@nospam.nospam>
wrote:
> Replied a minute ago and wrote almost exactly the same, just to see your
> answer after synchronizing. Even used the same sample of a prospect
> returning after 12 months. Seems we share the same opinion :-)
>
> --
> Michael H=F6hne, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
>
> CRM Blog:http://www.stunnware.com/?area=3Dblog

> "Joel CustomerEffective" <JoelCustomerEffect...@discussions.microsoft.com>=

> schrieb im Newsbeitragnews:D5009CEE-0225-4E3A-B99D-B1D7BDF4D7BC@microsoft.=
com...

> > Based on what you are trying to do, the suggestion should work. =A0Just
> > create
> > a dummy account called "Prospects" and create new quotes against that
> > account. =A0Then, when the quote is won, before closing the quote, creat=
> > the
> > account, revise the quote and change the customer to that account, then
> > close
> > the quote.
>
> > The bigges issue with what they are trying to do and not creating accoun=
ts
> > until the customer buys somethign is they are losing a lot of visibility=

> > for
> > pre sales activity.
>
> > Even if somebody doesn't buy anything, it doesn't mean that they won't a=

> > year from now, and when they call back, there is value in being able to
> > see
> > what you have talked about with the person before and what you have quot=
ed
> > them previously. =A0If you don't have an account set up, they won't be a=
ble
> > easily locate that. =A0That would dilute one of the main benefits of a C=
RM
> > system, having a central repository for sales communication.
>
> > I would introduce them to the concept of the relationship type field, an=
> > classifying companies based on prospect, customer, etc. =A0That is the b=
est
> > practice. =A0Then they can use opportunity management, and associate the=

> > opportunities to the prospect accounts.
> > "crsb" wrote:

> >> Thanks for the nice ideas Michael and Joel! What I wanted to achieve
> >> is to be able to save the quote without entering the Potential
> >> customer field because the client wants it to be that way because they
> >> keep creating random quotes and only when the quote is won they want
> >> it to be an account.
>
> >> thanks,
> >> crsb- Hide quoted text -

customizing quote merge template

Customize Current View: Filter Problem

Money Plus not Updating Quotes

Customizing AdvisorFYI
I have an account for some stock options in a privately-owned company. Approximately monthly, AdvisorFYI keeps telling me, "It's time to update your investment prices in Money." There isn't a price update that often. Is there a way to turn this message off without turning of the other useful AdvisorFYI Investment warnings? ...

How Do I Import Stock Quotes to Money2004 Standard?
Does anyone know how to import stock quotes into Money. Some of the ones I am interested in are not supported by MSN for online update. I know I can enter the data manually but I want to be able to update prices for multiple stocks on a regular basis. I have tried ceating a .ofx file for importing and Money reports "Import Completed" with no errors but the price I specified does not appear in the price history. The extract from the .ofx file relating to price I was trying to import is as follows: <SECLISTMSGSRSV1> <SECLIST> <STOCKINFO> <SECINFO> <S...

Vlookup returns "0"

forward to: field
Hi Everyone, im looking for the AD attribute in which the 'forward to:' field of the delivery options is stored. Thank you in advance kind regards marc -- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/ Its in the altRecipient attribute. -- Mark Fugatt Exchange MVP http://www.exchangetrainer.com http://www.msexchange.org "Marc Wenger" <haga(at).iesg--nspm-noa9h.gmx.ch> wrote in message news:opr64hs7z6fyi4rt@news.microsoft.com... > Hi Everyone, > > im looking for the AD attribute in which the 'forward to:' field of ...

Corrupt "Deleted Items" folder

Non-VBA way of making custom menus.

Input to custom reports

Getting the BCC field by default.

Unable to sort on customer CRM 4.0

OLK 2k7

Customer check data

COUNTIF on Summary Fields
Can't use on a cell that "sums" with arithmetic operators "+". Is there a workaround, etc.? a bit more explanation? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "DLC" <dlcopesr@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:117v954kaf4s2f6@corp.supernews.com... > Can't use on a cell that "sums" with arithmetic operators "+". Is there a > workaround, etc.? > > ...

Help about numeric type field. Thanks.

Clearing "Custom Footer" box
Is there a way to delete the contents of the "Custom Footer" option when going through the "Page Setup" menu? I would like to clear out all previously created custom footers and start fresh. Thanks. TC T Crosby, Go to FILE>PAGE SETUP>HEADER/FOOTER, click on the "Custom Footer button. A new dialog box will appear with three panes. Highlight th contents in each pane (one pane at a time) and hit delete. Hope this helps Case -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You have some responses at your other post. T Crosby wrote: > > Is there a wa...

Changing the words "Sales Receipt" to "Invoice"
I cannot find how to change the word at the top right of our Sales document to read "Invoice" rather than "Sales Receipt". We bill out as a receivable for most of our goods and there seems to be some confusion with our customers. Thanks in advance for your help. -- Ron Moore Changing Sales Order to Invoice There is a receipt variable called "Transaction.ReceiptTransactionName" (in <SUB name="PrintTransactionType"> of receipt.xml)which returns the "default" name for the transaction based on it's type. You can replace this w...

List the UNIQUE certain fields from the database
Dear Experts, Please help related to the above subject. From this discussion, got the following formula which is work well and faster for small of database. =OFFSET($G$1,MATCH(0,MMULT(--TRANSPOSE(TRANSPOSE(DATA)=I$1:I1),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROW()-1))/ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&ROW()-1))),0)-1,0,1,1) where $G$1, the first row of DATA. how to convert it to VBA as this time i have a huge database. for Tab Data, Advanced, Unique Record only (works well also, but i need the VBA). basically we would like to do similar like this: Data Sample Vendor Name A B...