Planning Account, Sub-Account, Contact, structure. - Network Services Company

Making the jump from a contact centric CRM product to MS CRM 3.0.

How are other network services companies structuring their CRM 3.0
accounts/contacts?

I am struggling with the best way to convert the logical structure of our
client base to the CRM structure.

Example of a multi-site company we would typically work with: (Logical
Structure)

Main Office
Remote Office 1
Remote Office 2
Home Office 1
Home Office 2

Contact 1
Contact 2
Contact 3
Contact 4

Contact 1 is the primary contact for Main Office, Remote Office 1 and Home
Office 1.
Contact 2 is a secondary contact for Main Office and Remote Office 1,
primary contact for Home Office 2.
Contacts 3-4 are secondary contacts at the Main and Remote Offices.

We need to record similar types of information for each location, however,
the values will all be different. (i.e.. Network details etc.) Financial
transactions for all locations are typically submitted to the Main Office. I
have the complete MOC and the MS Press book on CRM 3.0 but am either over
analyzing or suffering information overload. In our current CRM product we
created duplicate contacts for each location and recorded their specific
details under each individual's record. I believe that the Account centric
nature of CRM 3.0 should allow me to escape that duplication.

Should I be creating a sub-account for each location? I assume that I need
to create a custom entity for each category of network detail I want to
record, then I will create custom forms for those entities.

Are there Visio examples of structure available?

I look forward to your responses.

John

0
nospam7515 (2084)
5/14/2006 8:23:24 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

You may want to check out the Relationship Roles in Microsoft CRM 3.0 to link
Accounts/Contacts "many to many".

Good luck.

Frank Lee
Workopia, Inc.
http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm

"John" wrote:

> Making the jump from a contact centric CRM product to MS CRM 3.0.
>
> How are other network services companies structuring their CRM 3.0
> accounts/contacts?
>
> I am struggling with the best way to convert the logical structure of our
> client base to the CRM structure.
>
> Example of a multi-site company we would typically work with: (Logical
> Structure)
>
> Main Office
> Remote Office 1
> Remote Office 2
> Home Office 1
> Home Office 2
>
> Contact 1
> Contact 2
> Contact 3
> Contact 4
>
> Contact 1 is the primary contact for Main Office, Remote Office 1 and Home
> Office 1.
> Contact 2 is a secondary contact for Main Office and Remote Office 1,
> primary contact for Home Office 2.
> Contacts 3-4 are secondary contacts at the Main and Remote Offices.
>
> We need to record similar types of information for each location, however,
> the values will all be different. (i.e.. Network details etc.) Financial
> transactions for all locations are typically submitted to the Main Office. I
> have the complete MOC and the MS Press book on CRM 3.0 but am either over
> analyzing or suffering information overload. In our current CRM product we
> created duplicate contacts for each location and recorded their specific
> details under each individual's record. I believe that the Account centric
> nature of CRM 3.0 should allow me to escape that duplication.
>
> Should I be creating a sub-account for each location? I assume that I need
> to create a custom entity for each category of network detail I want to
> record, then I will create custom forms for those entities.
>
> Are there Visio examples of structure available?
>
> I look forward to your responses.
>
> John

> You may want to check out the Relationship Roles in Microsoft CRM 3.0 to
> link
> Accounts/Contacts "many to many".

Thank you for the response. I will investigate that.

I may be fine just creating additional addresses for the Remote Offices
under the Account, then adding the Home Office address as an additional
address under the Contact.

Do you think creating a new item (entity) in the Accounts / Details section
would optimal for recording network data? I would anticipate using a format
similar to the method employed for additional addresses.

Looking at the Account as the focal point, all resources it finances would
be recorded under it not the Contact. Am I looking at this correctly?

Is anyone else running a Network Services company on this product? If so,
how are you organizing you clients network data?

John

0
John

Money 06 background banking service not loading
I just upgraded from 05 to 06 Deluxe, and realized the reason background banking never worked was that the mnybb.exe wasn't loaded. Checked all the startup spots, and darn if the mnybb.exe wasn't in the list at all (and of course doesn't show as active in Task Manager). This explains why I haven't had background banking active since Money 04 on my old computer! Now -- do I just add mnybb.exe in HKCU/Software/Microsoft/etc,etc, or in the startup programs folder, and do I have to add any command line parameters? Oh, and what about mnybbsvc.exe? Does that need to be put ...

Can't start POP3 service
I'm still in the process of setting up Exchange 2003 and am having difficulties configuring/setting up the POP3 service. When I use Exchange Manager to view the protocols that I have set up, I find the POP3 protocol. The information in the properties looks reasonable, however, the service isn't running (red flag is up). A right click and then choosing "Start" leads to the popup that says that the service isn't running and the I should start it. I get the same popup when I click on the Connected Users icon. When I go to the services on the server, there is nothin...

Converting a Sub Procedure to A Function
Hi everyone. I have a very simple query (I think). I have a form with text boxes for the opening and closing times of a shop for each day of the week. I am trying to speed up data entry, and as quite a number of the shops we are dealing with are open 24 hours I thought that I would try to automate some of the process. To do this I added a check box to the form (next to each day) where the OnClick event of the check box sets the corresponding days opening time to a value of "00:01" and the closing time to "23:59" (this is how we represent 24 hour opening where I work). ...

Access to Shared Contacts in Exchange 2003
Can someone tell me how to get access to shared contacts in OWA when press "To:" in compsing a new mail. I seem to only get access to my own contacts an the GAL. TIA Tony I think you go to tools>accounts............ Then select view address blah blah.... And change it in there I think..... :) On 7/28/04 7:23 AM, in article ugdd6UJdEHA.1604@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl, "Tony Josephs" <nocrap2-tony_josephs@hotmail.com> wrote: > Can someone tell me how to get access to shared contacts in OWA when press > "To:" in compsing a new mail. I seem ...

Number of contacts in crm
Is there an equivalent to the sql (select count(*) from table) in CRM -- Regards, Pedro Airó you can use the query class which uses fetch xml http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/CrmSdk1_2/htm/v1d2crmqueryexecutequerymethod.asp -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.mscrmfaq.us "Pedro Airo" <pedro_airo@netcabo.pt> wrote in message news:27E5C555-BAAE-4C4C-8F84-1DD204845F28@microsoft.com... > Is there an equivalent to the sql (select count(*) from table) in CRM > > -- > Regards, > Pedro Air´┐Ż Yes, but where ...

Importing Contacts 04-03-04
When trying to import contacts into CRM I get the following message. "Microsoft outlook could not be started. Verify that outlook is installed on this computer." I have Outlook 2003 installed and also have installed the CRM Sales for Outlook Hi there I have the exact same problem. I evem tried one of my workgroup computers with Outlook XP on it - and the result was the same. Any help welcome. >-----Original Message----- >When trying to import contacts into CRM I get the following message. > >"Microsoft outlook could not be started. Verify that outlook is i...

Contacts, taska, notes, calendar from Outllok XP saved to PST not displayed in Outlook 2003
Hi, I am about to migrate from Internet Mail enabled profiles on Outlook XP to Outlook 2003 / Exchange 2003. On trying to open users PST files in Outllok 2003, as a test, all the mail folders appear but the contacts, tasks, notes, calendar folders are not displayed. Is this a known bug and what's the work around? Thank you. In Outlook 2003, the default view is Mail view. This shows only mail folders. If you click the Calendar or Contacts or Tasks button on the Navigation Pane (on the left) do you see data? Click the Folder List button on the Navigation Pane (it looks like a file fold...

Networking
I have been networking access between 4 computers all running xp and office professional 2000. We have recently upgraded two machines to Vista and added them into the network with no probs. However, access cannot be opened up by the 2 machines running vista unless it is shut down by everyone else. Can anybody else experienced this and does anybody have a solution? ...

Problems with contacts disappearing from my address book
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC Email Client: pop Recently most of my contacts disappeared from my address book. I have not carried out any imports or exports, so I have no idea how this has happened. I am using Entourage version 11.4. Please does any one have any ideas how to solve this? maryxyz...@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power > PC Email Client: pop Recently most of my contacts disappeared from my > address book. I have not carried out any imports or exports...

Can a lead be created for a company without contact?
Hi All, I want to know whether we can create a lead for some company where the contact is not known? By this I mean, I don't know the person whose details we enter while creating a lead. But I will be contacting the company shortly. Also, please tell me the use of "Status Reason" field in the Administration page. In my case it will be "New". Thanks and Regards, Harshad Harshad, I had that same need, so I went into the settings/customizations & changed the contact to be a recommended instead of required field. I'm not sure if I'm screwing ...

Contacts not showing
I am running a single Exchange 2003 site/server. I add a contact in AD and it does not show up in outlook. I thought the reciepient update service might need to run, but after a day the contact is still not showing up. what else could I look for? thanks in advance Rick Has it been mailed enabled? James Chong (MVP) MCSE | M+, S+, MCTS, Security+ msexchangetips.blogspot.com On Mar 12, 12:30 pm, "Rick" <drummer10...@gmail.com> wrote: > I am running a single Exchange 2003 site/server. I add a contact in AD > and it does not show up in outlook. I thought the reciepient...

Capacity Planning for Installation of CRM
Is there a way to capacity plan for the installation and growth of CRM. I am talking in terms of the amount of hard drive space and the necessary tape drive capacity for a crm installation for a customer. While the underlying data size isn't that large, I am surprised by how relatively big the databases seem to get. If you know how to size SQL DB's, than the same approach works here, but it takes some time to get the raw numbers. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 09:05:05 -0800, Mi...

server-based synchronization of Tasks with service pack 2
I deploy solutions for small businesses and I am testing out configurations. I was under the impression that server-based synchronization of Tasks was one of the new features. I have deployed sp2 (win2003ent, exch2003), and still do not see that option. I have uninstalled and reinstalled activesync 3.8 and still no task option. Using Dell X30/Windows Mobile 2003 Second Edition for testing What am i missing? Error in IIS 6 perhaps? Or is this feature also reserved for windows mobile 5.0 Thank you in advance. -- Patrick H. Nagle, CPA, MCSE President, Dunwoody Network Systems, LLC My g...

Sub Report Doesn't Show in Report
I need a subreport in a main overview report. I've used the subreport wizard to bring in sub rpt and also tried to bring it in using F11 and dragging it. No Go. The report structure seems to come across as the fields can be manipulated in Report Design, but the only data that comes in View is the first record in the main database and then only if it is set up to fit the criteria as a test. I've tried to use the query as the sub rpt as well as creating a report from the query. Both the Query and the Report show all the data requested, but nothing shows up. I'm using Access 20...

how do i back up my contacts in outlook?
- how do i back up my contacts in outlook? - how do i import data from my palm address book into outlook? - when i go to my email address book, the names are listed in alphabetical order according to FIRST name not last. why? how do i change this? To backup contacts: Click on File > Import and Export. Click "Export to a file" and click the Next button. Click on "Comma Separated Values (Windows) and click the Next button. Click on your Contacts folder and click the Next button. Click the Browse button to select where you want to save the file. Type in the file name. Clic...

Change Contact to Contact Relationship?
I would prefer that our uses not be able to use a contact as the Parent Customer of another contact. I want them to use only accounts as the Parent Customer. Is there a way to limit this? Possibly by changing the relationship setting? I am still pretty new to CRM (about a month) so any help you can provide is much appreciated. Thanks Greg In CRM 3.0 system relationships are not customizable. One workaround to this particular issue would be to add a validation script in the onchange event of the customer field on the form. The validation script could check the type of the lookup item ...

Mass Modify-Create Single Account and duplicate within 80 branches
Our account structure is as follows, Acct#-Branch-Region, ?????-????-??. I have used the Mass Modify feature to copy an entire range of accounts from one branch to a new branch. I want to create an account within a single branch and then copy that single account to the other 79 branches. Is this possible with Mass Modify. I have already learned it's shortcomings as far as changing an account description across the 80 branches. I modified the table using SQL for that. thanks, -- Phil Gilbert Free Radical, LTD. Phil, There is no way to do what you want with Mass Modify. Integr...

Duplicate Contact List When you open a PAB fileOutlook 2002
I have duplicate contact list displayed in Personal Address Book (Outlook 2002) On knowlage base I found article # 282630 about this issue. When I fallow the instructions under "keep personal address in" I have just the option for Contacts and not for "Personal Address Book" Why ? I uninstall / reinstall PAB and I still don't have the option to chose Personal Address Book Outlook has not used a PAB for years. Any reason you are? Outlook stores all Contacts in the Contacts Folder and uses the Outlook Address Book Service to display them. Where do your Contacts current...

Is there a filter to add someone to my contact list.
If I send an email to someone can that person be automatically added to my contact list? I know there is a setting to add people I reply to but I haven't found a way to add someone I send mail to. -- Kilowatt@charter.net Put "private" in the subject line. ...

Balance in Checking Account disagrees with balance in account list
I am using Money 2003 and noticed today that my balance in the register of my checking account is correct, but when I switch to the account list view, it says that I have a balance $400 higher than what the register balance is. All the other balances in other accounts appear to agree from the register to the account list. Is this a program bug? Can this type of error be fixed with the money salvage utility? Thanks In microsoft.public.money, joni wrote: >I am using Money 2003 and noticed today that my balance >in the register of my checking account is correct, but >when I...

Is it possible to configure 2 Exchange account in Outlook 2003?
We have configured AD and DC in Windows 2003 server and it running Exchange 2003. Domain name is @abc.com. (As an example) We want to configure an exchange server for get mail from @xyz.com for selected users in @ABC.com. When selected @ABC domain users logging to domain they like to check their booth accounts (@ABC and @xyz) in outlook 2003. Is this possible? If it is any links or resources will much appreciated. Rush wrote: > We have configured AD and DC in Windows 2003 server and it running > Exchange 2003. Domain name is @abc.com. (As an example) > We want to configure an excha...

Confuguring a network device
Small LAN from seven PCs, connected to switch, and switch connected to ADSL router, static IP address from ISP. I want configure VoIP adapter (one WAN port and 2 FXS) in order to upgrade to latest firmware. The firmware obtainable from manufacturer's website. Problem is I canno find an actual IP address of device. I connected it to LAN instead of one PC, but can no access to device since it not shown in network So I assume device have some static ip address. In user manual specified few steps, here: Quick Start How to set your network environment? SR-100/SR-200 default ne...

Knowledge Base not available in Service
I have a strange issue. On CRM 4.0 some of my users are unable to see the Knowledge base link in Service. I have even tried giving the user system admin permissions but they still do not see the knowledge base. Any ideas why? By default the knowledge base is only available in the web version. If the user is using the outlook client they will not be able to see this. Even if they try to open crm in the web browser. The easy way to check this is clear the cookies, then they should be able to see the knowledge base again. The easiest method to avoid this problem is to use different ur...

change cost in Field Service Management in additional charges
I would like to be able to change cost in the additional charges box after a Purchase Order is Received. Right now you can not edit the field at all. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrow...

Maintenance Plan
Morning, I am creating my first maintenance job today and I have some general questions about the order of steps regarding the db and t-logs. I am looking to create 3 jobs that run nightly on a production database for my company. First Job: Check Database Integrity Reorganize Index Rebuild Index Update Statistics Check Database Integrity Second Job: Backup Database Cleanup History Third Job: Backup Transaction Log Execute T-SQL statement ( Truncate the Log) ... is this needed??? Maintenance Cleanup Task (Logs) I am not sure whether I have the correct ordering of t...