 I really appreciate the way that Outlook auto-normalizes phone numbers -
for example, here in the US, I can enter 5555555555 and Outlook
automagically formats that to (555) 555-5555.

Why CRM 3.0 doesn't do this out of the box is strange but if anyone has
ideas on how to implement, that'd be greatly appreciated.  I've worked very
hard to normalize all my data before import, but I know it's a matter of
time before our users (ok, our sales people) destroy all that hard work by
entering garbage into every phone field entry that the system cannot
auto-normalize and error check for them.

Thanks - Daniel

0
Daniel
2/12/2006 1:49:14 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Just write some simple On Save event code to format the phone
numbers.....and Daniel, after reading a bunch of your posts, I'd would
suggest that you invest in some implementation/customization training
like many of those on this forum have done to learn the ins and outs of
the product. It will make your life much easier. No disrespect meant
just some friendly advice.

0
SteveT
2/12/2006 2:13:50 AM
I've already spent enough money and time - I do not expect to be forced to
pay for training simply because Microsoft did not produce sufficient support
documentation when they released the product.

There are two types of people that work with technology - those who have to
go to training to learn everything/most things (who usually work for big
companies, with fat budgets) and those who do it themselves, by reading the
manuals, or going online.  I used to work for one of those huge companies,
where the money flowed freely and people (myself included) took all that
training for granted.

Today though, I happen to work for (and own) a small business where we don't
have that luxury, so it's easier said than done to tell someone to go pay
for training - it's simply not always practical.  I'm perfectly happy going
it alone if a product has good documentation.  By most accounts, CRM 3.0
does not (yet).

Since the documentation that shipped with CRM 3.0 is lacking, I've had to go
online for most things and it's starting to take, but it would have been
nice if MS shipped the product with complete manuals, like most of their
traditional client/server apps and platforms.

Daniel

"SteveT" <drumguy61-google@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just write some simple On Save event code to format the phone
> numbers.....and Daniel, after reading a bunch of your posts, I'd would
> suggest that you invest in some implementation/customization training
> like many of those on this forum have done to learn the ins and outs of
> the product. It will make your life much easier. No disrespect meant
> just some friendly advice.

0
Daniel
2/12/2006 3:26:23 AM
I found that this script did the trick (replace 310 with your area code):

// Get the field that fired the event.
var oField = event.srcElement;

// Validate the field information.
if (typeof(oField) != "undefined" && oField != null)
{
// Remove any nonnumeric characters.
  var sTmp = oField.DataValue.replace(/[^0-9]/g, "");

// If the number has a valid length, format the number.
  switch (sTmp.length)
  {
    case "4105551212".length:
      oField.DataValue = "(" + sTmp.substr(0, 3) + ") " + sTmp.substr(3, 3)
+ "-" + sTmp.substr(6, 4);
      break;

    case "5551212".length:
      oField.DataValue = "(310) " + sTmp.substr(0, 3) + "-" + sTmp.substr(3,
4);
      break;
  }
}

"Daniel" <nospam_no@no.com> wrote in message
> I really appreciate the way that Outlook auto-normalizes phone numbers -
> for example, here in the US, I can enter 5555555555 and Outlook
> automagically formats that to (555) 555-5555.
>
> Why CRM 3.0 doesn't do this out of the box is strange but if anyone has
> ideas on how to implement, that'd be greatly appreciated.  I've worked
> very hard to normalize all my data before import, but I know it's a matter
> of time before our users (ok, our sales people) destroy all that hard work
> by entering garbage into every phone field entry that the system cannot
> auto-normalize and error check for them.
>
> Thanks - Daniel

0
Daniel
2/12/2006 3:27:02 AM
Daniel, I too work for a small company with a lean budget and that is
exactly why I went the training route. I have worked with all kinds of
apps over the years and have extensive CRM/SFA experince and I could
have hunted and pecked my way through this application as well and
figured it all out in the end but today my time is worth more than that
so I did spend some of our hard earned profits on training becuase it
was the mst efficient use of my time.

Again, not trying to be a critic just trying to provide some help. In
fact, there is an online course on customization that you would likely
get a lot of your questions anwered as well as getting a better
understanding of why CRM is the way it is in certain ways - like
understanding that the ability to add basic features via script is a
huge benefit vs a detraction from the product, etc. The online course
is less that $900 and you get access to it for 60 days so you can take
you time goig trhough it and jump around in the topics etc.

I'd be happy to point you in the right direction if you are interested.

0
SteveT
2/12/2006 3:59:25 PM
Hi Daniel:

There is a HOL on my blog, http://blogs.msdn.com/jstraumann that covers the
Client SDK and has a phone number formatting example in it.

I am creating these "labs" as a free resource that you can work through at
your own pace, feel free to ping me with any questions.

John [MSFT]

Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms
specified at
"Daniel" <nospam_no@no.com> wrote in message
> I really appreciate the way that Outlook auto-normalizes phone numbers -
> for example, here in the US, I can enter 5555555555 and Outlook
> automagically formats that to (555) 555-5555.
>
> Why CRM 3.0 doesn't do this out of the box is strange but if anyone has
> ideas on how to implement, that'd be greatly appreciated.  I've worked
> very hard to normalize all my data before import, but I know it's a matter
> of time before our users (ok, our sales people) destroy all that hard work
> by entering garbage into every phone field entry that the system cannot
> auto-normalize and error check for them.
>
> Thanks - Daniel

0
John
2/12/2006 6:18:22 PM
Hi John,

Was looking for the same code to format phone numbers.  I know Microsoft
showed it at the roll-out here in Vancouver and I looked through the
PowerPoint on your blog but must have missed it. Can you direct me, more
specifically to the code for formatting phone number?

Thanks

Shauna

"John [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Daniel:
>
> There is a HOL on my blog, http://blogs.msdn.com/jstraumann that covers the
> Client SDK and has a phone number formatting example in it.
>
> I am creating these "labs" as a free resource that you can work through at
> your own pace, feel free to ping me with any questions.
>
> John [MSFT]

> Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms
> specified at
> http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.
> "Daniel" <nospam_no@no.com> wrote in message
> > I really appreciate the way that Outlook auto-normalizes phone numbers -
> > for example, here in the US, I can enter 5555555555 and Outlook
> > automagically formats that to (555) 555-5555.
> >
> > Why CRM 3.0 doesn't do this out of the box is strange but if anyone has
> > ideas on how to implement, that'd be greatly appreciated.  I've worked
> > very hard to normalize all my data before import, but I know it's a matter
> > of time before our users (ok, our sales people) destroy all that hard work
> > by entering garbage into every phone field entry that the system cannot
> > auto-normalize and error check for them.
> >
> > Thanks - Daniel

Here is some auto-number formatting code I created for a client.  The
switch..case is not in the best format but the International department is
unsure how they want to format and enter different international numbers.
Right now they are prefixing everything with a + and if a + exists then it
doesn't get formatted.

var oField = event.srcElement;
var newPhone;
var sTmp;

//if (typeof(oField) != "undefined" && oField != null)
if (oField.DataValue != "" && oField.DataValue != null)
{
  sTmp = oField.DataValue;
  if (sTmp.substr(0,1) != "+")
  {
     sTmp = oField.DataValue.replace(/[^0-9]/g,"");
     switch (sTmp.length)
     {
          case 10:
      oField.DataValue = "(" + sTmp.substr(0, 3) + ") " + sTmp.substr(3, 3)
+ "-" + sTmp.substr(6, 4);
      break;

    case 7:
      oField.DataValue = sTmp.substr(0, 3) + "-" + sTmp.substr(3, 4);
      break;

    case 12:
       oField.DataValue = "+" + sTmp;
      break;

    case 9:
        oField.DataValue = "+" + sTmp;
    break;

     case 11:
        oField.DataValue = "+" + sTmp;
      break;

      case 13:
          oField.DataValue = "+" + sTmp;
      break;

     case 14:
          oField.DataValue = "+" + sTmp;
      break;

     default:
     var resp;
     resp = window.confirm("The phone number you entered is an invalid
format.  Would you like to change it now?  If so click Ok.  Pleae enter phone
numbers without spaces or special characters.");

"Shauna Koppang" wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Was looking for the same code to format phone numbers.  I know Microsoft
> showed it at the roll-out here in Vancouver and I looked through the
> PowerPoint on your blog but must have missed it. Can you direct me, more
> specifically to the code for formatting phone number?
>
> Thanks
>
> Shauna
>
> "John [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Hi Daniel:
> >
> > There is a HOL on my blog, http://blogs.msdn.com/jstraumann that covers the
> > Client SDK and has a phone number formatting example in it.
> >
> > I am creating these "labs" as a free resource that you can work through at
> > your own pace, feel free to ping me with any questions.
> >
> > John [MSFT]

> > Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms
> > specified at
> > http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.
> > "Daniel" <nospam_no@no.com> wrote in message
> > > I really appreciate the way that Outlook auto-normalizes phone numbers -
> > > for example, here in the US, I can enter 5555555555 and Outlook
> > > automagically formats that to (555) 555-5555.
> > >
> > > Why CRM 3.0 doesn't do this out of the box is strange but if anyone has
> > > ideas on how to implement, that'd be greatly appreciated.  I've worked
> > > very hard to normalize all my data before import, but I know it's a matter
> > > of time before our users (ok, our sales people) destroy all that hard work
> > > by entering garbage into every phone field entry that the system cannot
> > > auto-normalize and error check for them.
> > >
> > > Thanks - Daniel

Thanks Jeremy!  Will try it out.

Shauna

"Jeremy Winchell" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Was looking for the same code to format phone numbers.  I know Microsoft
> > showed it at the roll-out here in Vancouver and I looked through the
> > PowerPoint on your blog but must have missed it. Can you direct me, more
> > specifically to the code for formatting phone number?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Shauna
> >
> > "John [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Daniel:
> > >
> > > There is a HOL on my blog, http://blogs.msdn.com/jstraumann that covers the
> > > Client SDK and has a phone number formatting example in it.
> > >
> > > I am creating these "labs" as a free resource that you can work through at
> > > your own pace, feel free to ping me with any questions.
> > >
> > > John [MSFT]
> > >
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> > > Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms

how to format :send picture with message: as a default
each time i sent a graphic i must go to the format and click "send picture with message." how do I make this a default so it is there permanently.I am running on a Windows XP and am using Outlook Express for my mail. LYNNY <LYNNY@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > each time i sent a graphic i must go to the format and click "send > picture with message." how do I make this a default so it is there > permanently.I am running on a Windows XP and am using Outlook Express > for my mail. Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. -- Brian Tillman ...

Auto Calculate Monthly Time Pace
I need to show how far into a month we are at any given time in % form. I want this to change every day automatically. Example: Today is day 27 of 31 days in January - 87% if today was 2/17/10 it would need to show 17/28 or 61%, 12/20/10 would be 20/31 or 65%, and so on for each day throughout 2010 (12/20/10 would be 65%) Is there a formula or function to do this? Thanks! Heather "HeatherJ" wrote: > I need to show how far into a month we are at any given time in % form. [....] > Today is day 27 of 31 days in January - 87% One way: =day(today()) / ...

FORMATING COLUMNS..... HELP
I need to format columns to allow only 7 characters and the rest of the data to go into column B -- JTEFUN "JTEFUN" <JTEFUN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C5C7A99-E83F-430E-9576-6D1DB57B9311@microsoft.com... >I need to format columns to allow only 7 characters and the rest of the >data > to go into column B > -- > JTEFUN > If you mean that if a user types a lot of data into the one cell and that when they reach 7 characters the rest of the data is automatically inserted into the next cell, then I don't think you can do that....

How can I prioritize tasks by number in Outlook 2007?
I am trying to create a custom priority for my tasks in Outlook 2007, but I'm not able to edit the field that was created when I changed the settings to include a custom priority. I'm trying to put a number into it, so that I can sort my tasks in a certain category by number, but I'm not able to. We aren't watching you and your explanation is missing details. Where in Outlook are you trying to view the Tasks? There are 3 places to see Tasks. If in the Task Folder, what View are you in? If in Tasks folder you probably need to turn on in-line editing. Regards Judy Gle...

Calculate number of months
Hello, I have a field where I am trying to implement a calculation. I want it to take the date in a cell and subtract it from today's date to show me the total number of months between those two dates. So right now, it looks like =(TODAY())-D3 and it returns 167 - the total number of days. How do I make it show me months? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE =Month(Today())-Month(D3) "TxWebDesigner" <beverly@beverlylanedesigns.com> schreef in bericht news:e3fR#jXWJHA.5032@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I have a field where I am trying to implement a calculation...

I have a problem with getting a total Sum of numbers (URGENT)
I'd really appreciate if someone could help me here. I am using Microsoft Excel 2002 on a Microsoft Office XP system. I a trying to develop a minor league baseball schedule, but am having som problems. I have attached a copy of my spreadsheet to give everyone some idea o what I'm doing here. I have where the fans list the "RUNS, HITS & ERRORS) of both teams an for each game of the series. I then have it set up in the TOTA WON/LOST column where if the T-Bones RUNS are more than the SALTDOG runs, a "1" appears in the WON column. If the SALTDOGS have a highe numbe...

BULK Conditional Formatting
I've read the posts on conditional formatting for cell colour based o another cell's value (eg. set the conditional formatting to "formul is" and then "=A1>0" and set the colour as red / blue / whatever...) however wondering if I can do this for an entire column withou individually changing the conditional formatting for each cell one b one (as there are over 400 rows). Basically I need a formula that reads the contents of column B for th particular row that is active. Can anyone help -- Rob Moyl ---------------------------------------------------------------...

number in system using arrivals and departures
Is there and easy way to figure out the total number of persons in a system if have access to the arrival and departure times. I have tried to use counts with if statements, but I keep getting the number 1. I know this is not correct. Is there any special macros or functions Thanks Hi you may provide some more details about your data. Could you post some example rows (plain text - no attachments please) and describe your expecte result -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany megv wrote: > Is there and easy way to figure out the total number of persons in a > system if have access...

how would you calculate the number of hits to your website
Hi ,' can some one tell to me the answer of this question On a website, how would you calculate the number of hits to your website ...

columns changed to numbers instead of letters?
I noticed my excel clumns have changed from letters to numbers and forumlas now look like =RC[-1]*R[-3]C[6] I was trying to make the R[-3]C[6] static (using the $) but it errors. Thanks Mike In Excel Options uncheck "R1C1 Reference Style" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 20:25:30 -0400, Mike <no_please@not.com> wrote: >I noticed my excel clumns have changed from letters to numbers and >forumlas now look like =RC[-1]*R[-3]C[6] >I was trying to make the R[-3]C[6] static (using the $) but it errors. >Thanks >Mike ...

Format Problem
I have a report of a crosstab query. I formatted the left column of the report with Text Align set to Right. The report is chopping off the last character of the term, even if I set the Right Margin to 0.5". Doing so just puts space between the right edge of the border and the end of the chopped word I have played with all of the format settings in the properties with no success. If I set Text Align to Left the word is not chopped, but I would prefer Text Align set to right. Is there a way to fix this format issue with Text Align set to the Right? -- Message posted via http://www.acce...

A way to increase a number in a cell by using the + key
Hi, i do a lot of data entry and am looking for a way to increase the number in a cell (or range of cells) so that i dont have to enter the new number in each time. I have columns that separate items and i use the sheet to show the total count for each item in it's row. eg Item 1 Item 2 Item 3 2 5 4 I'd like to use the + key only to increase the counts for each item. Did i make sense?? It's a Friday and my mind isn't quite up for a lot of detailed explanations, lol. Any assistance would be appreciated. Tim That would require VBA How far are you will...

Conditional Statements and Time Format
Hello, I have a spreadsheet where I need to calculate a range of time in a cell and display a value in another cell. Example is in cell F2 I have a time displayed of 15:34, and in the calculation window it displays as 3:34:00 PM. In Cell F3 I want to display one of three things, "1st shift", "2nd shift" or "3rd shift". Is it possible to use the conditional statements to give me the value of "1st shift" when cell F2 is between >= 07:00 and < 15:00? I can't find anything that speaks to getting thee range information from time. Thanks, Brian ...

reference number #2
--------------------------------- Where does the information in the "reference number" field in the transaction table come from? I see tranactions with reference numbers - the first part of which appears to be the year, month and day - but I can't figure out the second part. It is nothing that we have intentionally entered while ringing out the customer. Pls help. -Tracey ##-----------------------------------------------## Newsgroup Access Courtesy http://www.rockryno.com/ Tax and Accounting Software Forums Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - microsoft.p...

Restoring auto-archive properties
I have set up my archive folders to archive each sub-folder of my inbox separately. I have since found this too convoluted to search for items and i wish to restore the default settings so that, my inbox and its subfolders now appear as a subfolder of the Archive folders drop down. How can i do this without losing any of my previous data/e-mails? Simply change the settings and move over any item that you want to be somewhere else now. If this results in multiple empty pst-file, then you can disconnect those via; File-> Data File Management... -- Robert Sparnaaij [MV...

formatting cell in vlookup
HELP I have an excel spreadsheet that is e:mailed to me by my home office. I use the vlookup feature to find the value in cell b from the information in a Proble At times when the answer is N/A and I go to the e:mailed spreadsheet to see if that number is really not there, it is in the e;mailed spreadsheet. If I type over that number in the cell on the e;mailed spreadsheet, then the formula will work in the target spreadsheet, sometimes This e;mailed spreadsheet is at a shared location on a servier, and the items I fix in the e;mailed spreadsheet on my desk top, are not available in any ...

Rich Text formatting in Access 2007
In Access 2007, is it possible to add rich text formatting to text in a memo field (or mixed formatting within any text field). I have just upgraded to the new version of Access, and it appears that this feature still has not been added. Is this correct? (If so, why?) If it is not possible to format individual words within a field in Access, , is there a simple, free add-in that will enable Access to do this kind of basic formatting, such as adding italic, bold, and underlining? Thanks very much for any information you may have. Bob Rich Text format for Memos in: Tables - Look in t...

Normal.pub
below is the help file from Publisher 2002 (XP) however i have neither of the OSes listed I'm using Windows XP - anyone know where to save the normal.pub file so it always uses Arial instead of TNR. I have tried saving in the normal template location which did not work and these two suggestions listed are not available. Many thanks Ron In the Save in box, click your root drive. On most computers, the root drive location is drive C. If your operating system is Microsoft Windows NT or Microsoft Windows 2000, navigate to Profiles\<Username>\Application Data\ Microsoft \Office. If y...

number changes to date ... how do I change
I am trying to do an "age" range: 1-9 10-19 20-29 Instead I get September 9, 2004 or October 19 I can't figure out how to change it. Please help! Thank you! kk Format->Cells->Number Change the type to Text, and it should keep everything the way you want it. If you don't specify a type, Excel takes a guess based on what you enter. Hope that helps. -Bob --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Copy a formula formatted as Text In Excel
I have a UDF that returns the formula of a given cell in a text format. Is there anyway to have excel recognize that the result of the function is a formula and not text. Once I click on the cell, hit F2 to edit it and then enter, Excel realizes it's a formula and then calculates the value, Nope. The formula in the cell is going to be the UDF--not the what formula string looks like. You could add some more steps. Select the range (if more than one cell) Convert to values (edit|copy, edit|paste special|values) and finally edit|replace what: = (equal sign) with: = replace all And exce...

Random numbers, Canadian Zip Code style #2
Honestly, I don't even know where to begin -- Shocke ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Shocked's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1489 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26523 ...

Add numbers accross columns after stripping away text
I have the following data in a spreadsheet: A1 B1 C1 D1 E1 F1 4.5f 6f 3.5f 3f 7.25f I need to be able to add the numbers together to give me 24.25, i.e. strip the fs away. The numbers will always be less than 10 and the there will only ever be .25 or.5 or .75 after the number (I don't know whether that is significant?). If anyone can show me how to do this I would be very grateful. I have been messing around with MID and FIND to no avail and then started thinking that SUMPRODUCT might have to get involved but it all got a bit m...

Formatting and loss of emails/contacts/etc?
Hi folks, Have to format and reinstall everything ... XP PRO/OFFICE 02 PRO ... I have emails/contacts/etc that I would like to be able take with me when I reinstall ... I can save copies of Excel/Word files to another hardrive. Is there a painless way of saving Outlook email/contact/etc files? Thanks in advance, Debbie The file you need to back up is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored. Just copy and reuse this file after you reformat. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup: http://www.slipstick.com/c...

Custom or conditional format to highlight today's date?
Using Excel 2002, I have all 365 days of the year listed in column B, formatted as "03/14/01". When i open the workbook, I would like the current date to be bold and red. Can I do this with a conditional format? I have tried =Today with no success. Thanks Tonso "Tonso" <wthomasss@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:13885af2-777c-43ff-9684-1b5bda8d95d6@o6g2000yql.googlegroups.com... > Using Excel 2002, I have all 365 days of the year listed in column B, > formatted as "03/14/01". When i open the workbook, I would like the > current date to b...

How do you remove auto indentation in text on PowerPoint?
I'm entering text on a 'Content' slide and the second line is automatically indented. I need this to line up on the leftside with the first line of text. The alignment is set for the left. Thanks. If you cannot see the ruler View > Ruler Then with the text selected move the bottom grey pointer to the left. Holding down CTRL may help. John "SherriG" <SherriG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E641735D-48C0-41BA-8DDE-783DAA26F4C1@microsoft.com... > I'm entering text on a 'Content' slide and the second line is ...