 I really appreciate the way that Outlook auto-normalizes phone numbers -
for example, here in the US, I can enter 5555555555 and Outlook
automagically formats that to (555) 555-5555.

Why CRM 3.0 doesn't do this out of the box is strange but if anyone has
ideas on how to implement, that'd be greatly appreciated.  I've worked very
hard to normalize all my data before import, but I know it's a matter of
time before our users (ok, our sales people) destroy all that hard work by
entering garbage into every phone field entry that the system cannot
auto-normalize and error check for them.

Thanks - Daniel

0
Daniel
2/12/2006 1:49:14 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Just write some simple On Save event code to format the phone
numbers.....and Daniel, after reading a bunch of your posts, I'd would
suggest that you invest in some implementation/customization training
like many of those on this forum have done to learn the ins and outs of
the product. It will make your life much easier. No disrespect meant
just some friendly advice.

0
SteveT
2/12/2006 2:13:50 AM
I've already spent enough money and time - I do not expect to be forced to
pay for training simply because Microsoft did not produce sufficient support
documentation when they released the product.

There are two types of people that work with technology - those who have to
go to training to learn everything/most things (who usually work for big
companies, with fat budgets) and those who do it themselves, by reading the
manuals, or going online.  I used to work for one of those huge companies,
where the money flowed freely and people (myself included) took all that
training for granted.

Today though, I happen to work for (and own) a small business where we don't
have that luxury, so it's easier said than done to tell someone to go pay
for training - it's simply not always practical.  I'm perfectly happy going
it alone if a product has good documentation.  By most accounts, CRM 3.0
does not (yet).

Since the documentation that shipped with CRM 3.0 is lacking, I've had to go
online for most things and it's starting to take, but it would have been
nice if MS shipped the product with complete manuals, like most of their
traditional client/server apps and platforms.

Daniel

"SteveT" <drumguy61-google@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Just write some simple On Save event code to format the phone
> numbers.....and Daniel, after reading a bunch of your posts, I'd would
> suggest that you invest in some implementation/customization training
> like many of those on this forum have done to learn the ins and outs of
> the product. It will make your life much easier. No disrespect meant
> just some friendly advice.

0
Daniel
2/12/2006 3:26:23 AM
I found that this script did the trick (replace 310 with your area code):

// Get the field that fired the event.
var oField = event.srcElement;

// Validate the field information.
if (typeof(oField) != "undefined" && oField != null)
{
// Remove any nonnumeric characters.
  var sTmp = oField.DataValue.replace(/[^0-9]/g, "");

// If the number has a valid length, format the number.
  switch (sTmp.length)
  {
    case "4105551212".length:
      oField.DataValue = "(" + sTmp.substr(0, 3) + ") " + sTmp.substr(3, 3)
+ "-" + sTmp.substr(6, 4);
      break;

    case "5551212".length:
      oField.DataValue = "(310) " + sTmp.substr(0, 3) + "-" + sTmp.substr(3,
4);
      break;
  }
}

"Daniel" <nospam_no@no.com> wrote in message
> I really appreciate the way that Outlook auto-normalizes phone numbers -
> for example, here in the US, I can enter 5555555555 and Outlook
> automagically formats that to (555) 555-5555.
>
> Why CRM 3.0 doesn't do this out of the box is strange but if anyone has
> ideas on how to implement, that'd be greatly appreciated.  I've worked
> very hard to normalize all my data before import, but I know it's a matter
> of time before our users (ok, our sales people) destroy all that hard work
> by entering garbage into every phone field entry that the system cannot
> auto-normalize and error check for them.
>
> Thanks - Daniel

0
Daniel
2/12/2006 3:27:02 AM
Daniel, I too work for a small company with a lean budget and that is
exactly why I went the training route. I have worked with all kinds of
apps over the years and have extensive CRM/SFA experince and I could
have hunted and pecked my way through this application as well and
figured it all out in the end but today my time is worth more than that
so I did spend some of our hard earned profits on training becuase it
was the mst efficient use of my time.

Again, not trying to be a critic just trying to provide some help. In
fact, there is an online course on customization that you would likely
get a lot of your questions anwered as well as getting a better
understanding of why CRM is the way it is in certain ways - like
understanding that the ability to add basic features via script is a
huge benefit vs a detraction from the product, etc. The online course
is less that $900 and you get access to it for 60 days so you can take
you time goig trhough it and jump around in the topics etc.

I'd be happy to point you in the right direction if you are interested.

0
SteveT
2/12/2006 3:59:25 PM
Hi Daniel:

There is a HOL on my blog, http://blogs.msdn.com/jstraumann that covers the
Client SDK and has a phone number formatting example in it.

I am creating these "labs" as a free resource that you can work through at
your own pace, feel free to ping me with any questions.

John [MSFT]

Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms
specified at
"Daniel" <nospam_no@no.com> wrote in message
> I really appreciate the way that Outlook auto-normalizes phone numbers -
> for example, here in the US, I can enter 5555555555 and Outlook
> automagically formats that to (555) 555-5555.
>
> Why CRM 3.0 doesn't do this out of the box is strange but if anyone has
> ideas on how to implement, that'd be greatly appreciated.  I've worked
> very hard to normalize all my data before import, but I know it's a matter
> of time before our users (ok, our sales people) destroy all that hard work
> by entering garbage into every phone field entry that the system cannot
> auto-normalize and error check for them.
>
> Thanks - Daniel

0
John
2/12/2006 6:18:22 PM
Hi John,

Was looking for the same code to format phone numbers.  I know Microsoft
showed it at the roll-out here in Vancouver and I looked through the
PowerPoint on your blog but must have missed it. Can you direct me, more
specifically to the code for formatting phone number?

Thanks

Shauna

"John [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Daniel:
>
> There is a HOL on my blog, http://blogs.msdn.com/jstraumann that covers the
> Client SDK and has a phone number formatting example in it.
>
> I am creating these "labs" as a free resource that you can work through at
> your own pace, feel free to ping me with any questions.
>
> John [MSFT]

> Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms
> specified at
> http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.
> "Daniel" <nospam_no@no.com> wrote in message
> > I really appreciate the way that Outlook auto-normalizes phone numbers -
> > for example, here in the US, I can enter 5555555555 and Outlook
> > automagically formats that to (555) 555-5555.
> >
> > Why CRM 3.0 doesn't do this out of the box is strange but if anyone has
> > ideas on how to implement, that'd be greatly appreciated.  I've worked
> > very hard to normalize all my data before import, but I know it's a matter
> > of time before our users (ok, our sales people) destroy all that hard work
> > by entering garbage into every phone field entry that the system cannot
> > auto-normalize and error check for them.
> >
> > Thanks - Daniel

Here is some auto-number formatting code I created for a client.  The
switch..case is not in the best format but the International department is
unsure how they want to format and enter different international numbers.
Right now they are prefixing everything with a + and if a + exists then it
doesn't get formatted.

var oField = event.srcElement;
var newPhone;
var sTmp;

//if (typeof(oField) != "undefined" && oField != null)
if (oField.DataValue != "" && oField.DataValue != null)
{
  sTmp = oField.DataValue;
  if (sTmp.substr(0,1) != "+")
  {
     sTmp = oField.DataValue.replace(/[^0-9]/g,"");
     switch (sTmp.length)
     {
          case 10:
      oField.DataValue = "(" + sTmp.substr(0, 3) + ") " + sTmp.substr(3, 3)
+ "-" + sTmp.substr(6, 4);
      break;

    case 7:
      oField.DataValue = sTmp.substr(0, 3) + "-" + sTmp.substr(3, 4);
      break;

    case 12:
       oField.DataValue = "+" + sTmp;
      break;

    case 9:
        oField.DataValue = "+" + sTmp;
    break;

     case 11:
        oField.DataValue = "+" + sTmp;
      break;

      case 13:
          oField.DataValue = "+" + sTmp;
      break;

     case 14:
          oField.DataValue = "+" + sTmp;
      break;

     default:
     var resp;
     resp = window.confirm("The phone number you entered is an invalid
format.  Would you like to change it now?  If so click Ok.  Pleae enter phone
numbers without spaces or special characters.");

"Shauna Koppang" wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Was looking for the same code to format phone numbers.  I know Microsoft
> showed it at the roll-out here in Vancouver and I looked through the
> PowerPoint on your blog but must have missed it. Can you direct me, more
> specifically to the code for formatting phone number?
>
> Thanks
>
> Shauna
>
> "John [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Hi Daniel:
> >
> > There is a HOL on my blog, http://blogs.msdn.com/jstraumann that covers the
> > Client SDK and has a phone number formatting example in it.
> >
> > I am creating these "labs" as a free resource that you can work through at
> > your own pace, feel free to ping me with any questions.
> >
> > John [MSFT]

> > Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms
> > specified at
> > http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm.
> > "Daniel" <nospam_no@no.com> wrote in message
> > > I really appreciate the way that Outlook auto-normalizes phone numbers -
> > > for example, here in the US, I can enter 5555555555 and Outlook
> > > automagically formats that to (555) 555-5555.
> > >
> > > Why CRM 3.0 doesn't do this out of the box is strange but if anyone has
> > > ideas on how to implement, that'd be greatly appreciated.  I've worked
> > > very hard to normalize all my data before import, but I know it's a matter
> > > of time before our users (ok, our sales people) destroy all that hard work
> > > by entering garbage into every phone field entry that the system cannot
> > > auto-normalize and error check for them.
> > >
> > > Thanks - Daniel

Thanks Jeremy!  Will try it out.

Shauna

"Jeremy Winchell" wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > Was looking for the same code to format phone numbers.  I know Microsoft
> > showed it at the roll-out here in Vancouver and I looked through the
> > PowerPoint on your blog but must have missed it. Can you direct me, more
> > specifically to the code for formatting phone number?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Shauna
> >
> > "John [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Daniel:
> > >
> > > There is a HOL on my blog, http://blogs.msdn.com/jstraumann that covers the
> > > Client SDK and has a phone number formatting example in it.
> > >
> > > I am creating these "labs" as a free resource that you can work through at
> > > your own pace, feel free to ping me with any questions.
> > >
> > > John [MSFT]
> > >
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> > > Use of any included script or code samples are subject to the terms

Counting the number of rows between identical data.
Hello, I have a spreadsheet that lists the number of F1 races and the drivers who won those races. I'm trying to count the races that elapsed between wins. Column B contains the race #: (from 1 through 754) Column L has the race winners. In Column M, I want to count how many races it's been since a driver last won a race. For example: Giancarlo Fisichella won his 2nd race at the 2005 Australian G. P. (Race # 732) He won again at the 2006 Malaysian G. P., (Race # 753), 20 races had elapsed. Is there a formula I can use in Column M that will display 20? Thank you for you...

Worksheet to .cvs format
I have worksheet that has email addresses in one column. I am trying to make this list a .vvs format to import into an email program to send an email to all my contacts. I have followed the instructions to save as .cvs format and nothing happens. Can anyone help? What do you mean "nothing happens"? Does the file not get saved? What if you save the file in a different format - does something happen then? If the file isn't getting saved, list the steps in "the instructions" you're following... In article <9C404812-0CB7-4DEC-8E24-96E777EDF784@microsoft.c...

How do I increase the limit on the number of import rows in Excel
Hi, Does anyone know how to increase the number of rows that Excel can import or read? My version is XP pro. Now the limit is about 65000 rows. I have data sheet that is much more than that. Thank you. Aleck hi, 65536 is the max. hard coded into excel. in xl help type specifications for more details >-----Original Message----- >Hi, > >Does anyone know how to increase the number of rows that Excel can import or >read? My version is XP pro. Now the limit is about 65000 rows. I have data >sheet that is much more than that. Thank you. > >Aleck >. > You cou...

Populate Phone Number in Phone Activity for an Opportunity
Is there any way to populate the primary phone number from an account->opportunity-> Phone Activity? Of course it works if you add a Phone activity from the account record. We tried adding the primary phone number to the opportunity and then mapping it back to the account (this worked), but when adding a new phone activity from the customized opportunity it would not populate the phone number field. Thanks in advance. unfortunately, no. You can't map values from the Parent entity to phone calls. In 4.0, however, you could accomplish this using a workflow rule. -- --MD &...

Formatting text color in Outlook 2003
Is there a way to have Outlook 2003 remember my text color and use it in every email? I've changed my color several times but it still uses black as the automatic setting. I find this very frustrating since I prefer to use navy blue in all my emails but don't know how to have OL remember it Thanks! Sorry! I already found out how to accomplish this task. No need to reply. ...

numbers #2
Though I have formatted my cells (US currency, 2 decimal places, a comma sign and "$" sign), I can't seem to get a column of numbers - one number in each cell - all in the same column to line up properly. They look alligned on the monitor but when printed out they are slightly off. I also tried to allign "left" but it made no difference. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. a post on a similar issue: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=236685&highlight=currency+alignmen -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com sounds like a printer thing....

Formating Names
I have an example where the First and Last Name of my contacts are in a single column. I would like the first and last name in separate columns ie: John in Column A and Brown in column B any help would be appreciated. Richard It may as simple as Data>Text to Columns>De-limited by>Space. Then again, if you have cells with more than just two name, you may require something else. I would recommend Chip Pearson's site. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FirstLast.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sun, 9 Jul 2006 12:14:05 -0400, "Richard Mahan" <dmachen35@co...

number format #15
normal format for number & currency in excel is xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx.00 How to configure numbers as well as currency as xx,xx,xx,xx,xx,xx,xx,xx,xxx.00 format ? when custom format is used, the entry is converted to thousand comma separator format. pl help Here is an answer from Bob Phillips to a similar request ====================================================== Hi Rajiv, I think you may be intrested in the add-in I have modified for the Indian numbering/currency system. The original code is available on MS site for English system. The add-in is attached in zipped format. If you nee...

Break links turn last number in bubble size to zero
I have a master file with bubble charts. In a loop, the 2 sheets with the charts and the chart data get copied to a new workbook, saved with another name and links to the master file are broken. When this happens, the last number on my bubble size gets turned into a zero. Does anyone know how to prevent this? You are probably best off asking the person who gave you the code. If you wrote it yourself, you may want to share the relevant portions of the code. If you do so, please post the code in the text of the message; many people, including myself, will not download or open a file. ...

transfer 'auto-correct list to newer computer
I bouht a new computer and want to use my auto correct words in excel. How do I transfer these words or the list? I like to do it this way. Old pc. Open excel. Make a minor change to the autocorrection list. close excel. search for *.acl and copy the one with the latest date. New pc. Open excel. Make a minor change to the autocorrection list. close excel. search for *.acl. Make note of the path/filename for that latest version of *.acl. Put the old pc's *.acl in that folder under that name. Then back to both pc's and clean up that minor change. whsaw2 wrote: > > I bouh...

Chart template not saving title formats
Hi - I have a chart saved as a template and everything is formatted correctly when applied to a new chart, except the chart and axis titles. The category and value axis values maintain the formatting that was stored with the chart. It's just the titles for the chart, category axis and value axis that I have to always reformat. Any suggestions? Thanks! Hi Tammy, chart templates will not save titles. Privacy was one of the concerns when considering that templates could be shared broadly without knowledge of what the template might contain. -- Thanks, Christopher This posting is p...

POP Invoice entry should assign Voucher Number
I have been asked on many occasions why the Voucher Number is not assigned when entering a POP Invoice rather than another Receipt no. Customers find it confusing and normally like to write the voucher number on the hard copy for filing during entry. Currently when the POP Invoice is posted it then assigns a Voucher number and they have to go back after the event and cross reference it. Surely it would make more sense to allocate it at the beginning and only use Receipt Numbers just for Receipts. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the su...

storing text format in autocorrect
Hi, I'm trying to make bot excel and word more useful for myself. I run Office XP versions of both. I've got a macro that imports / exports the autocorrect list to an excel table and ideally I'd like to be able to comprise a list of autocorrect substitutions on excel and used that with both word _and_ excel. Is this possible at all? Let's just say I can't do the formatted text part with excel. At the moment I only know how to import / export the autocorrect list with Excel (using a macro I didn't make, credits to Dana DeLouis). How would I save my formatted text autoc...

Time format for workschedule
Hi, I'm looking for some help I'm looking to calculate timesheets, but instead of 2:15 in format of 2 hours 15 minutes, I'm looking to save as 2.25 where it's 2 hours and 0.25 hours I would take calculations from Cell A1 as start time of 8:00 AM and Cell A2 end time of 10:15 AM and result in Cell A3. any suggestions? Lifegaurd =(A2*24)-(A1*24) formatted as 'general' -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.uk.ANDTHIS "Lifeguard" <Lifeguard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FF061C3...

Font size and type drop downs on formatting bar inoperative
The font size drop down menu on the formating bar appears empty when attempting reformat text and the font type drop down is inoperative. Both can be formated using the Format drop down from the menu bar Have you tried an Office Diagnostics in the Help menu? Not sure why you cannot select fonts or font size unless your cursor isn't in the text box. If you just select the text box, the fonts are not active. What version Publisher are you using? -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "mantor" <mantor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5B28C...

Windows media center auto service with PBDA driver
my USB stick driver is a PBDA driver porting from the latest WDK example--SWTUNER Now The PBDA driver passed nearly all the WHQL and A+Q test But there is a bug in it even I can pass the WHQL test by manually stopping all WMC related service When test plug and play. When USB stick inserted, some times it can not be stopped, after delete ehrecvr.exe service The driver pin resource will be released, and the tuner can be stopped. use BDA driver no this problem, PBDA do more GPNV initializing when filter created Thanks ...

Anyone know if the PST file format spec has been released yet?
Really need this badly... Thanks! Jack Never mind. Looks like they finally did about one month ago. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff385210.aspx Jack "Jack Black" <jackisback@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OO9%23Yg7xKHA.5936@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > Really need this badly... > > Thanks! > Jack > ...

Auto saving attachments
Is there anyway i can set outlook express to automatically save my email attachments as soon as i download my email to a specific folder without having to do them individually as i receive a lot of email attachments and to save them individually would take hours. Thanx Andy... ...

Auto Send Email from Excel 2007 No Error when Outlook 2007 is full
I have a macro that automatically sends email from excel 2007 through outlook 2007. The problem is that if the user's outlook inbox is at the size limit it will not send the email. When we were on Office 2003 my error handler worked to let the user know that the email wasn't sent, but now on office 2007 it just doesn't send and doesn't let the user know that the email did not go. The code also would recognize an error if the email address was invalid in 2003, but that does not work in 2007 either: just the email is not sent. My code is below (most of it was from Ron de Brui...

Date format???
For my work I am making a file to follow up thinks. But recently I found a way to get information from our system to excel. Now the problem is, that the date form is wrong. Excel takes the dd for jj & jj for mm & mm for dd. I can put them in correct order, bij changing in cell properties - changed to the correct view form. But when I want to work more with the date to link it to week or month's it wont work becaus for excel the mm or dd or jj doesn't change. I just changed the order to look right. Can someone help me? Gr sven This part is unclear: > Excel takes th...

reference format and column name
I have 2 problems, likely, related to some reference format in Excel 2003: 1) Column names are displayed in numbers, like rows; 2) When I type a reference to a cell, the formula contains letters R and C and number of cells, the referred cell is away from the cell with the formula (instead of a regular number of column and row). I don't know how I got to this format. Please get me back to columns named in letters, and regular type of displaying references. Many thanks. hi on the menu bar>tools>options>general tab uncheck R1C1 reference (upper left) Regards FSt1 ...

Fixed Assets Serial Number Field #2
Combination of Manufacturer Name & Serial Numbers are unique indentifiers to identify assets. When creating FA IDs, currently there is no way to prevent duplicate serial numbers; an Asset can accidentally be created more than once with the same serial number. I would like to suggest making the Serial Number a unique field or giving users a prompt to tell them that this number already exists and if they still want to continue. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click t...

convert a number to text (in english)
How can i convert a number to text , but in english (for example, i have the number 12345 stored on cell A1 and i want to somehow have the text "Twelve thousand and three hunderd and fourty five" in another cell, for example cell A2). i tried to do it using BAHTTEXT but i get a nonreadable text. Costa, Put the functions below into a standard codemodule - watch line wrapping errors - and use it by entering =MakeWords(12345) or =MakeWords(A2) where A2 contains 12345 HTH, Bernie Function MakeWords(ByVal InValue As Double) As String MakeWords = "" n = InValue tr...

Form auto-fill linking
Hi, I am very new to Access (2003) and don't have any familiarity with coding. I am trying to develop a form for entering chart information for a large number of patients. Each patient has a unique record number associated with him/her ("Patient Information" table), and one to several visits. Each visit of each patient has its own chart ID number ("Patient Visits" table), which in turn is associated with the chart information for that particular visit ("Chart Information" table). I would like to be able to enter the record number of a patient into a form and...

Date formats in Excel 2003 under Vista
For a long time, I've had an extremely frustrating problem in Excel 2003 on a Vista computer. Several web searches have located no references to this problem, and many things have been tried without success. Simply put, dates and times do not format as dates and times -- they remain in text format regardless of any Date or Time format that is applied. There are 2 Win XP computers on the same home network, and date and time formats work perfectly in Excel files on those computers. This different XP/Vista behaviour applies even when the *same* Excel files are used. Ha...