Once installed, where to start?

I'm starting a pilot of CRM in our organization. After the trials &
tribulations of installation, I finally have everything running.

Now I have lots of blank screens!!

I can't seem to find anything along the lines of an Administrator's Guide to
help tell me what I order to set things up.  Is the online help really the
only resource?  I've checked out Microsoft's CRM portal, but the stuff there
is more oriented to specific tasks. I'm looking for a road-guide to general
configuring and customizing.

Many thanks to those who came before me!
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Go to Amazon and get MS CRM 3.0 for Dummies.  It is a great book for getting
the business side of CRM off the ground.  It fits my kind of learning
(Here's what you are going to do.  Here's how to do it...).

$16 at Amazon, and the other book MS Using CRM 3.0 is much more in-depth.

Neither have anything about installation, but you are already past that...

--
Take care,

Jeff Dempsey
MCP, SBSC, A+, Network+
Advanced Business Computing Solutions, Inc.
(503) 616-3925 (voice)
(503) 925-5200 (fax)
jeff at ABC-Solutions.biz

"Ryk" <Ryk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm starting a pilot of CRM in our organization. After the trials &
> tribulations of installation, I finally have everything running.
>
> Now I have lots of blank screens!!
>
> I can't seem to find anything along the lines of an Administrator's Guide
> help tell me what I order to set things up.  Is the online help really the
> only resource?  I've checked out Microsoft's CRM portal, but the stuff
> there
> is more oriented to specific tasks. I'm looking for a road-guide to
> general
> configuring and customizing.
>
> Many thanks to those who came before me!

0
news
7/14/2006 1:13:04 AM
Jeff,

Thanks for the advice.  Yesterday I found the Microsoft Press book "Working
with..."  It looks like EXACTLY what I need.

Thanks again,

Ryk McDorman

"news.microsoft.com" wrote:

> Go to Amazon and get MS CRM 3.0 for Dummies.  It is a great book for getting
> the business side of CRM off the ground.  It fits my kind of learning
> (Here's what you are going to do.  Here's how to do it...).
>
> $16 at Amazon, and the other book MS Using CRM 3.0 is much more in-depth.
>
> Neither have anything about installation, but you are already past that...
>
> --
> Take care,
>
> Jeff Dempsey
> MCP, SBSC, A+, Network+
> Advanced Business Computing Solutions, Inc.
> (503) 616-3925 (voice)
> (503) 925-5200 (fax)
> jeff at ABC-Solutions.biz

Install SQL 2008 express sp1
I download SQLEXPR_x86_ENU.exe (sql 2008 express sp1)from microsoft but do not know how to install sp1 from this exe file. Can someone help me? Is there any site can download sp1 only? -- Message posted via SQLMonster.com http://www.sqlmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/sql-server/201007/1 aspfun via SQLMonster.com (u53138@uwe) writes: > I download SQLEXPR_x86_ENU.exe (sql 2008 express sp1)from microsoft but do > not know how to install sp1 from this exe file. > Can someone help me? Is there any site can download sp1 only? Have a look at http://www.google.se/#hl=sv&so...

Unable to start print job
I have a new office xp install on a new xp pro machine and outlook is giving me an "unable to start print job" message whenever I try to print an email from outlook. The printer is a networked laserjet 2100 that a dozen other prople print to just fine. And any other program on the pc can print to it just fine. I've tried removing and reinstalling the printer and office. Outlook can print to other printers just not the 2100. Niles ...

foxpro 2.6 installation in Win XP
How do I load Microsoft Foxpro for windows 2.6 on to my new XP machine? It looks for drive d: in the installation. Is their a way around this problem? ...

Windows Update wont start
Every time I click on "check for updates" it does not start at all. It says "windows cannot currently check for updates because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer." I restart my computer and same thing happens again and again. I have a windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP 2. Hello Rrahl, Start button > select RUN> type in SERVICES.MSC The following services are needed by the processes at Windows Update. In services management console ( services.msc) they must NOT be *Disabled* in the Startup type. They need to show a s...

new install email
Just installed CRM 1.2 and receiving an error message when sending email in the web client. "Missing Microsoft CRM key" I am sending the email to another user, I have a license and all roles including administrator. Anyone have an idea this is a brand new install Hi, Did you install the Exchange router ? if so can you check if this key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM\mailserverurl is set on your CRM server ? -- Olivier Schmitt Microsoft Business Solutions Support Ce message est fourni en l'�tat, sans garantie d'aucune sorte, et ne vous conf�re aucun droit....

Frx Reports to be use on other client machines without installing
Hi, I installed Frx as a thin clinet on my GP client machine and created Balance sheet and income statement reports successfully but now I want to run these reports on other clients machine without installing the Frx. Can u please tell me the correct way. Your immediate help will be greatly appreciated. -- Developer -- Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager HDA, Inc. Hazelwood, MO GP 9.0, SP2 "Dexdev" wrote: > Hi, > > I installed Frx as a thin clinet on my GP client machine and created Balance > sheet and income statement reports successfully but now I want t...

Starting Excel
When launching Excel I receive a message, "Code execution has been interrupted" in a Microsoft Visual Basic pop-up window. Do I have to disable an item in order for this to stop appearing everytime I launch Excel and/or Word? Thank You Sounds like you have an addin that has gone a bit funny or perhaps a bit of code in your personal.xls, or maybe even a file with code in it in your XLSTART folder. Try going to Tools / addins and uncheck them all, then see if the message disappears, and if so then put the addins back one by one testing each time to see which one caused the error....

install
We no longer have a maintenance agreement on our Great Plains. I need to install on a new machine but can't remember the steps. Can I get the instructions? -- Jkizzier If you have the Great Plains CDs, there is an installation manual on them. The exact location varies depending on what version you have, but I would start by looking on the first CD for a folder called Documentation. -- Victoria Yudin Microsoft MVP - Great Plains "Jkizzier" <Jkizzier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B20A2BA5-120C-47E6-B187-F895237926DF@microsoft.com... > We no ...

COM failure during client install?
I am still having problems with the install of the desktop client. My log fileshows the following 15:53:21| Info| Outlook Installer process Complete 15:53:21| Error| Outlook installer failed with hr = C0000005 15:53:21| Error| LaunchOutlookInstallerProcess failed.(error = 3221225477) (pstinstaller.cpp:CPstInstaller::DoInstallPst:216). 15:53:21| Error| System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Client.InstallPstAction failed. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0xC0000005): LaunchOutlookInstallerProcess failed. at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExcep...

Office :Mac wont start from fresh installation
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel 1.Office 4 Mac was removed ( due to slow performance of the web services version) using the tools provided. 2. When a fresh install was made from the legally downloaded .dmg , the system installed but no request for registration popped up ! so no name or product ID was requested. ! 3. when installation was complete, clicking on entourage would bring up Product update then when no update is available , the entourage closes down. 4. trying (3) again would bring up the update window again. how dop i resolve this issue ? th...

Migrating CRM Installation
We are upgrading CRM from SBS. As a result, we have 2 new servers 1 which will be the new CRM database and the other will be the new CRM server (the old SBS server will be used for something else). As far as porting the database is the following post still valid (i.e. required steps for doing so - I hope not...): http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.crm/msg/73b69b842b0e6bc3 As far as porting the crm server, how do I ensure that the new install will be compatible with the ported database? That is, the 'revision' of the new server is different from the revision in the...

Installing mailbox manager in Exch 5.5
I am trying to install Mailbox Manager in Exchange 5.5 and I keep getting the error "unable to install MBClean99 admin extension" during the install. Then the install fails. I cannot get past this. I am logged in as the exch service account and it definately has permissions to write to the "add-ins" directory. I have exch 5.5, sp4 on win2000 member server. thx, Clay Hilton http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;843495 On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:42:36 -0500, "Clay Hilton" <chilton@jam.rr.com> wrote: >I am trying to install Mailbox Ma...

Money 2005 Installation woes
I get two errors. When I attempt to INternet Update I get "Money was not able to properly install Online Services. If you want to use your Online Service, please reinstall Money from your original product disks". For all other commands I get "Your security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded". I've tried to uninstall and reinstall, delete temp files, reinstall 2004 uninstall and then reinstall 2005, disable Mcafee, disable SP2 security center, change the Internet security setting, nothing seems to work. Any ideas? In microsoft.public.money, Bwhit...

Unalble to start reminder service
I too am having the same problem after reloading my .pst file onto my new computer. I have read all the posts and tried all the switches and I still get the error. Can someone point me to a solution that perhaps worked for the others that had this same error. Thanks Doug We have no clue what you are talking about since you failed to quote the post to which you were referring. Version of Outlook? What reminder service? Tasks? Calendar? Flags? What is the error message you get? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to...

Planning CRM 3.0 SBE Install
I am planning a new deployment of CRM 3.0 SBE. I will be performing a new SBS install to deploy on. Typically I have setup private networks using domain.local for the domain. These implementations use offsite mail servers. For CRM it looks like using a public domain might be better that using the POP3 connector to pull mail from our public mail server. I am also investigating migrating Goldmine 6.7 (dbase) data to MS CRM. Gotchas, recommendations, and comments would be appreciated. Thank You. John Miller ...

Missing Emails after Clean Install of SBS 2003 from SBS 2000
Recently, I did a clean install of SBS Premium 2003. The client was using SBS 2000. Before formatting the drive (2 partitions) I backed up (and verified by restoring selected files) shares and the Exchange 2000 Information Store. The server also had an additional unused hard drive that I formatted and then copied the user and company shares to and allowed the copy to run overnight. All OK with the data copy. I also exported the MS Outlook Mailbox - User Name .pst to the users' desktops and allowed it to run overnight. Two users had .pst's upwards of 1.2 and 1.84 GB. The .pst'...

Information store could not start
I installed a fresh new compy of MS EXCHANGE 2003 on a windows 2003 server and Information could not start automatically on startup nor manually when i try to start it in services. I am pretty much a newbie with exchange and windows 2003, but I am hoping the problem is something I can quickly understand and correct! Any help will be very appreciated. Thanks, Gil Check Application Event Log for errors. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "giloosh" <giloosh99@gmail.com> wrote in message news:113443...

New Outlook client terminal server install scripts
Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 desktop client for Microsoft Office Outlook Compatibility Release for Terminal Server Deployment Scripts Overview This deployment package helps you to install and configure Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 desktop client for Microsoft Office Outlook� Compatibility Release in the Microsoft Windows ServerT 2003 Terminal Server environment. This deployment package is not compatible with previous releases of the Microsoft Dynamics CRM desktop client for Office Outlook. This tool must be used in conjunction with the Microsoft Dynamics CRM client for Outlook CD. This tool...

installing GP 10.0 on workstations only
Hello: I understand that you can install GP 10.0 and forego installation of the application on the server. If you choose to go that route, then how do you path to SQL during the first-time run of GP Utilities when you create the company databases? I mean, if you install GP on the first workstation without installing GP on the server at all, you have to tell GP the path to the database (in the Database Setup window). Can you use UNC pathing in that window or do you have to use mapped drives? Also, what sort of security do you need to create the databases from the workstation? Domai...

Office 2010 Beta installation gets stuck at Step 4 of 4
I started the Office 2010 Beta installation, running the file that I downloaded from the MS site. It's been stuck for over an hour at "Step 4 of 4: Setting up Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 (Beta)." Please advise. ...

Get Start date of Week number and Year
I’d like to build the following expression in my query GetStartWeekNumber(DatePart("ww",[EnteredDate]), Year([EnteredDate])) So if EnteredDate = 11/3/2009 the function would return 11/1/2009 But GetStartWeekNumber does not exist as an Access Built-In Function. Is there another way to do this as an expression in a query? I’m not familiar with creating my own functions. Thanks. That would depend on how you define the start of the week... One option would be to get the day-of-week number of the date (in my system/setup, Monday is day 2), then subtract one less than that...

Security Update Un-install folders
Can anyone advise me please. I would like to know if it is advisable to remove old security update un-install folders. I can't find any formal advice anywhere. I do not remove these folders and some of them go back serveral years. If I do remove them are there any implications? Do other people remove them. I am only thinking about Servers. Are there any tools that manage this process. Kevin Gallagher wrote: > Can anyone advise me please. > I would like to know if it is advisable to remove old security > update un-install folders. I can't find any formal advice an...

outlook installation
I have a big problem, I install outlook, but Outlook doesn't want to function. It says that i need Outlook express, and when i'm searching for Outlook express, it isn't on my XP PRO. I download IE6.0 and Outlook express, and when I'm installing it, It answers that it exists a more modern version. I'm going crazy. (I apologise about my english, but I'm french) ...

Workflow Not Starting
Hi all, we have a problem with "some" of our workflows on the sales Order item not launching properly. The workflow is launched manually by the user, and it appears in Workflow Monitoe as running in waiting state - but the first step (create task for owner) has not been executed. If I pause the workflow and jump to a new step, the step is executed but it still does not move on to subsequent steps. This is very strange behavious as I have 2 workflows todat launched by the same user - one of which is OK and the other has this issue. Any ideas ? Ian Hi Ian, What CRM vers...

Installing CRM 3.0 in a test/development environment
Hi. I came to the game late and inherited a client running CRM 3.0 in a production state. I was agast to learn they didn't set up a test box (development environment) to use as a "playground" for test imports, workflows, etc. Are there any published steps for setting up a test environment? I don't want our live system to be adversely affected. What licensing issues do we face? Should this be in a separate domain? Can we use the production SQL Server with a separate database? We would prefer to not connect to Exchange. We will be doing some extensive list manage...