Notes data lost during lead conversion to contact

How can you make the Notes data get moved from the lead to the contact after
you convert the lead.  By default it seems that the notes are left on the
closed/converted lead.
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

This is not available from the application. You should create an addon which
updates the Annotations which are linked with the lead.

Hope this helps,
--
Ronald Lemmen
Avanade Netherlands

"fcbit" wrote:

> How can you make the Notes data get moved from the lead to the contact after
> you convert the lead.  By default it seems that the notes are left on the
> closed/converted lead.
Ronald,

I just discovered this flaw as well & see this as quite a problem that I
would hope the developers will fix this in the next service pack.  However in
the meantime, I don't feel like having to wait for another release to be able
to implement, so could you please elaborate on how to do this exactly?
Thanks in advance for helping me & countless others.

John

"Ronald Lemmen" wrote:

> This is not available from the application. You should create an addon which
> updates the Annotations which are linked with the lead.
>
> Hope this helps,
> --
> Ronald Lemmen
> Avanade Netherlands
> http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/
>

> "fcbit" wrote:
>
> > How can you make the Notes data get moved from the lead to the contact after
> > you convert the lead.  By default it seems that the notes are left on the
> > closed/converted lead.
Hi John,

As soon as a lead gets converted to a contact, then two important things
change in the system:
1) A contact is being created
2) The lead gets another status

There are more then 1 ways to get to the solution.
I can think of 2 technologies now:
1) Post callouts
2) Workflow

I'd suggest the first one.

Look in the SDK for how to create a post callout.
Make such an addon which activates as soon as a contact is being created or
a lead changes the status. Again I'd suggest the first one.
If a contact is being created, then check to see if the originating lead id
field is filled. If this is true, then search for the related annotations and
copy or move them to the new contact.

Hope this helps,
--

"John P" wrote:

> Ronald,
>
> I just discovered this flaw as well & see this as quite a problem that I
> would hope the developers will fix this in the next service pack.  However in
> the meantime, I don't feel like having to wait for another release to be able
> to implement, so could you please elaborate on how to do this exactly?
> Thanks in advance for helping me & countless others.
>
> John
>
> "Ronald Lemmen" wrote:
>
> > This is not available from the application. You should create an addon which
> > updates the Annotations which are linked with the lead.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > --
> > Ronald Lemmen
> > Avanade Netherlands
> > http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/
> >

> > "fcbit" wrote:
> >
> > > How can you make the Notes data get moved from the lead to the contact after
> > > you convert the lead.  By default it seems that the notes are left on the
> > > closed/converted lead.
Thanks so much for the speedy reply Ronald. (perhaps Microsoft should be
paying you for all the support you provide in this NG) This seems like a lot
of work to accomplish what already works fine in Goldmine.  (but I could say
that about many different things in CRM)

Must one go through workflow or post-callouts?  Isn't there a way to do it
with relationships between entities, as isn't that how linking to other
fields works?

Thanks again.

"Ronald Lemmen" wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> As soon as a lead gets converted to a contact, then two important things
> change in the system:
> 1) A contact is being created
> 2) The lead gets another status
>
> There are more then 1 ways to get to the solution.
> I can think of 2 technologies now:
> 1) Post callouts
> 2) Workflow
>
> I'd suggest the first one.
>
> Look in the SDK for how to create a post callout.
> Make such an addon which activates as soon as a contact is being created or
> a lead changes the status. Again I'd suggest the first one.
> If a contact is being created, then check to see if the originating lead id
> field is filled. If this is true, then search for the related annotations and
> copy or move them to the new contact.
>
> Hope this helps,
> --
> Ronald Lemmen
> Avanade Netherlands
> http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/
>

> "John P" wrote:
>
> > Ronald,
> >
> > I just discovered this flaw as well & see this as quite a problem that I
> > would hope the developers will fix this in the next service pack.  However in
> > the meantime, I don't feel like having to wait for another release to be able
> > to implement, so could you please elaborate on how to do this exactly?
> > Thanks in advance for helping me & countless others.
> >
> > John
> >
> > "Ronald Lemmen" wrote:
> >
> > > This is not available from the application. You should create an addon which
> > > updates the Annotations which are linked with the lead.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps,
> > > --
> > > Ronald Lemmen
> > > Avanade Netherlands
> > > http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/

Hi John,

I'm helping people because I have knowledge that other people need. The way
around, I'm asking for knowledge in other newsgroups. It's nice my questions
are answered as well. Thats what communities are for right?

Anyway, lets get back to your question. I do think that you'll have to go
the post-callout way. I haven't seen any other way. Usually I'm not migrating
those notes. When converting a lead to a contact, I usually let my client
check the data and copy any needed information from the notes to the new
contact. That way there's a filter to keep clear data in the contact tables.

Hope this helps,
--

"John P" wrote:

> Thanks so much for the speedy reply Ronald. (perhaps Microsoft should be
> paying you for all the support you provide in this NG) This seems like a lot
> of work to accomplish what already works fine in Goldmine.  (but I could say
> that about many different things in CRM)
>
> Must one go through workflow or post-callouts?  Isn't there a way to do it
> with relationships between entities, as isn't that how linking to other
> fields works?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> "Ronald Lemmen" wrote:
>
> > Hi John,
> >
> > As soon as a lead gets converted to a contact, then two important things
> > change in the system:
> > 1) A contact is being created
> > 2) The lead gets another status
> >
> > There are more then 1 ways to get to the solution.
> > I can think of 2 technologies now:
> > 1) Post callouts
> > 2) Workflow
> >
> > I'd suggest the first one.
> >
> > Look in the SDK for how to create a post callout.
> > Make such an addon which activates as soon as a contact is being created or
> > a lead changes the status. Again I'd suggest the first one.
> > If a contact is being created, then check to see if the originating lead id
> > field is filled. If this is true, then search for the related annotations and
> > copy or move them to the new contact.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > --
> > Ronald Lemmen
> > Avanade Netherlands
> > http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/
> >

> > "John P" wrote:
> >
> > > Ronald,
> > >
> > > I just discovered this flaw as well & see this as quite a problem that I
> > > would hope the developers will fix this in the next service pack.  However in
> > > the meantime, I don't feel like having to wait for another release to be able
> > > to implement, so could you please elaborate on how to do this exactly?
> > > Thanks in advance for helping me & countless others.
> > >
> > > John

Hidden data when pasting from html page into Excel?
I have a situation where I copy a report, which is generated as an html page, into Excel for analysis. When a new copy/version of the report is available, I copy and paste the new data over top of the old in Excel. I've noticed that the size of my Excel file is growing after each copy/paste situation. To manage this, I can delete the worksheet where I paste the data and reconstruct it. After doing nothing else, saving the workbook results in an immediate reduction of file size. If I simply select everything on the sheet and delete, the file size does NOT go down; I have to delet...

Outlook 2002 and Retrieving Data Error Message
OS is Windows XP SP1 Email - Outlook 2002 SP3 Error Message: Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server <server name>. You can cancel the request or minimize this message to the Windows taskbar until Outlook closes the message automatically. Other Related Issues: At times, the message displays the correct server name and sometime it does not. At times, it displays the name of an active directory server. This only happens to workstations located in an remote office connecting to the exchange server via ADSL\VPN connection. We have one exchange 2003 server - public...

Conversion error 05-09-04
I am using access 2003. When I link or import tables from Excel XP I get a Coversion Error table for those fields which contain user defined functions. I would appreciate it if you could susgest how I can remedy this problem. Thanks, Richard Richard ...

map data (x-y axis) with diffent series name
I have a set of x-y coordinate data set and i would like to plot them showing the respective series name. Is there an automatic way of doing this without haing to plot the data points separately. eg Name x y A 1 6 B 2 3 C 3 4 D 4 2 E 5 5 .. . . .. . . .. . . I will like to have a plot of x and y with A, B, C as series name without having to plot the points one after the other. Hi, Here are a couple of free addins that allow you to link data labels to cells. Rob Bovey's Char...

Notes to Exchange Migration
Hi all Having a wee problem with a migration of a user from Notes to Exch2003. Background: One of the guys in here attempted to move a user from Notes (200mb mail file) to an exch store that had a limit of 85mb, The migration util cut off at the 85mb mark (no suprise there) and no mail after march last year was imported. I then attempted to Re-import the users data by deleting the users mail box, removing the Exchange Attributes and running the Cleanup Agent to ensure that the mail box was fully deleted I then run the Migration Util again to recreate the users mail box and import the dat...

Difference Between Contacts and Address Book
I'm just trying to start to use Outlook (MS Small Bus 2007 w/ Outlook and Bus. Contact Mgr) for email and have a number of Contacts setup in different Categories. WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE IN USING "Contacts" VERSUS USING THE ADDRESS BOOK??? -- CFL Joe There is no address book in Outlook. What you think is an address book is simply a view of the electronic addresses contained in your Contacts Folder. Explain why you are confused and what you question is. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "CFLJoe" <CFLJoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:06ED2E...

How to remove contacts when email changes
Outlook 2003 If I receive an email from a sender not on my list, that sender's email address is not automatically added to my contacts but will appear on the automated list when I enter the first letter of the sender's email address. If that sender changes email address I cannot delete the old email address. Instead I am left with two email addresses for that sender both of which will appear on the automated list. How can I remove the old email address? You seem to be confused. Receiving an email does not add an address anywhere in Outlook. Sending an email might, a...

Mapping Associated Entities when Converting a Lead to an Account
I have a Lead record that, over time, has had one or more items from a custom entity (Many-to-1 relationship) associated with it. (This is somewhat akin to multiple Contacts associated to a single Account record.) When I convert the Lead to an Account, I would like those associated records to also be associated with the newly-created Account record. Is this possible? Something similar is happening when creating a quote from an Opportunity. In this situation, the associated product items are associated with the new quote. So, I'm hoping that it can be done in other situations....

Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange Ser
Hi I keep getting a msg saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from the Microsoft Exchange" everytime i try and send a mail... the mail then gets stuck in my outbox. I still receive all email and this only happends over one particular broadband connection??? If i use dial up it works and if i go to some other broadband connection it works... any ideas? _VERITAS_ wrote: > Hi > I keep getting a msg saying "Outlook is trying to retrieve data from > the Microsoft Exchange" everytime i try and send a mail... the mail > then gets stuck in my outbox. I s...

How to filter out Leads with "follow-ups"?"
Does anyone know how to set up filers in Advance Find to only pull up Leads with follow-ups? or how can you "flag" or identify Leads with follow-ups within the Leads module without having to go to tasks. Thanks. "Denise" <Denise@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1DBCD73-DAC7-4F79-8446-B904E8B6EFBD@microsoft.com... > Does anyone know how to set up filers in Advance Find to only pull up > Leads > with follow-ups? or how can you "flag" or identify Leads with follow-ups > within the Leads module without having to go to tasks....

Saving data #2
Hi all, I need to save data (results) from a base spread sheet program that i use on a weekly basis. i am in the middle of building this program, and have just discovered macros, but this, along with links is about my current knowledge of excel how can i automate to accumulate data from the base spread sheet (program) when i clear all data from the program to produce fresh results the following week, and to keep past data up to date and available for further use. Any help would be appreciated. legepe With a combination of formulas and dynamic named ranges, it is possible to just add the ...

printing outlook contacts
only "table style" available when printing outlook 2000 sp- 3 (9.0.0.6627) contacts, any attempt to change either "page setup" or "define styles" crashes (blue screen) ibm thinkpad t23 ...

Lost attachments after upgrading Outlook
I found a solution to a problem that must surely be plaguing others: the loss of attachments when upgrading from an earlier version of Outlook to a later version (to Outlook 2000 SP1?). I'm not sure when I lost the attachments, but based on my web sleuthing it seems like it was a result of updating from 2000 to SP1. Anyway, since I couldn't find a solution on the web easily, I'm posting this in hopes that either the page will be indexed by Google or that Microsoft will post a formal fix in its Knowledgebase. Here's the solution: find Outlook Express on your compu...

Automating transfer of data in cells
I have a time management spreadsheet with data stored against work type and date. I need to transfer this data into a similar but more comprehensive spreadsheet and wonder whether it is possible to automate this task by using the work types and dates in a macro (I have almost 10 months of data to transfer), along the lines of check date, check worktype, where argument is true enter data from cell. I think I need to use visual basic, but I can't find out how in the help screens. Any advice is much appreciated. This is not difficult providing you keep your data in simple tables...

emailing Outlook contact files
Help, Why am I unable to export my contacts & then attach the ..pst file in an email? I want to use my 97 Outlook contacts on my 200 Outlook on my home machine. Thanks! Export the contacts. then shut down Outlook and reopen. Then try sending the .pst file home. Also, make sure the file size is acceptable to your ISP who usually put a limit of 2-5 mbs for attachments. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer Greg <greg@mrcifoundation.info> asked: | Help, | | Why am...

How do you copy contacts into an email?
Hello all. Outlook 2000 with all necessary service packs and updates. I want to be able to copy a list of 30 contacts into the body of an email. I have to send emails every now and then with the names of these individuals listed in the body of the email. I already know how to export contacts into an excel spreadsheet. However, Outlook 2k does not give you the choice to export into Word. When I export into excel and I copy more than one name at a time they show up in the email with the gridlines wrapped around the names from the excel spreadsheet. I have removed the gridlines from the...

CRM 1.2 Leads & Searching
Hope someone can help - how do you search by Company Name field in the Leads view, as well as Name field (by default). On older leads people's names often get forgotten about, but the company name does not! Is there a way of selecting which fields are searchable? Thanks Afraid that you don't have this control in v1.2. v3.0 does give you the ability to pick which fields to search though. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Adam Carter" <adam.carter@vantageit.co.uk> wrote in message news:wIudnXImHfGWr57ZRVnyiA@pipex.net... Hope someone can help - how do you se...

Get Access Data into Excel
Hi All, I am using excel macro to get data from access database. My sql query gives me 5 records or more than that. I am able to pull it different cells. But I want all the 5 results in single cell. Please help im not exactly sure what your trying to do, but maybe something like this will do the trick dim accval as string accval=rs!:XXX rs.movenext accval=accval & " " & rs!:xxx loop it till rs.eof=true hth dmoney "fi.or.jp.de" wrote: > Hi All, > > I am using excel macro to get data from access database. >...

Cut'n'Pasting data
Greetings ! I have a CSV data file wot looks something like this - "1529.17698720957","133.597550559965" "1685.21901149326","132.817184396522" "1900.00000000000","130.300887834893" "2193.34485206410","121.730777157435" "2363.17295960769","114.937652855693" "2523.01169878763","108.544103288496" "3240.77088467590","87.805735336415" "3590.69860622591","81.680775462264" "4229.19543928027","78.487652800160" This data i...

Unable to bulk import leads
Hi, I'm trying to bulk import leads into CRM 3.0, but everytime I get an error complaining about insufficient privileges. I'm a member of all roles, and I also change all role privileges to have Organization access to bulk import. The I change the workflow service to run under localsystem. No help. What else could I try ? Since it's about missing privileges, is there a log somewhere that would indicate more details ? ...

Converting an Access 97 db to 2003, I got a message "conversion errors encountered - look in conversion errors table". In the table is a single row-- Object Type: Table Object Name: MSysObjects Error Description: -1611: Could not find field 'Description'. This database contains only tables, queries and reports. Any idea what this means? All I can suppose is that some query or report refers to a column called Description in a table that does not contain it. But how to find out which one? David This message probably represents a corruption in the original Access 97 data...

Importing Contact DL's into DL's on the GAL
Hi Everyone I'm trying to find out how to import distribution lists located in Contacts in an exchange mailbox into exchange so that they are available for everyone on the GAL There are about 1000 DL's so it is not possible to do this one-by-one. The DL's contain Display name and smtp address as members. Please - suggestions :D Thanks Regards Brendon In news:0725098A-95ED-4E7B-8103-62ED2784C3C3@microsoft.com, Brendon B <BrendonB@discussions.microsoft.com> typed: > Hi Everyone > > I'm trying to find out how to import distribution lists located in > Co...

How to access data buffers in a completion routine for a KMDF driv
I'm porting a WDM upper filter driver to KMDF version. I have two questions about data accessing in a completion routine. 1. In the completion routine of my WDM upper filter driver, it was able to retrieve data from Irp->AssociatedIrp.SystemBuffer( The IRP is using Method Neither I/O, and the data was set by function driver). How to do this for my KMDF driver? 2. In the completion routine of my WDM upper filter driver, it was able to retrieve data by calling MmGetSystemAddressForMdlSafe(Irp->MdlAddress, NormalPagePriority)( The IRP is using Method Neither I/O, and t...

Editing Contact Information
Does anyone know if there's an easier way to edit contact information? I can't seem to cut and paste text if I need to update or edit someone's email address or other contact information. This a basic function but it doesn't seem to work on Live .. Is this a defect in the system or am I'm missing something? Thank you There are two steps before you can edit: click Edit Contact click one of the categories under Summary You will probably want to click Contact. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "Editing Contact Information" wrote in ...