MS SQL Server takes 100% cpu

Alright, everyone has posted different slow CRM questions.  Mine will
be extremely specific.

My organization runs CRM 3.0 with a pretty good sized database, size in
my opinion should not matter, remember infinite scalability? Primarily
with the Outlook 2003 add-in. Alright so they have an 'Offline Client',
usually that means you'll be running on a laptop, or atleast that is
how it is here.  With 1.4 GHz and 1 Gig of memory exactly how does MS
expect people to support a MS SQL server locally?

It pegs the CPU, makes outlook a hog and the machine is virtually
useless until 2-5 minutes after boot, and Outlook is slow even after
completing the boot process.  Both the sqlserver process and the helper
process peg the cpu at different times.  My question is, how do we make
these laptops, with these necessary CRM apps on them, run at a
reasonable pace.  Is there some way to improve efficiency, or lower
priority of the sqlserver, but my thought is that would only slow
Outlook queries even more.

So I guess the mobile/offline version of CRM makes a decent small form
laptop useless.  MS recommends going SQL32 on the server, but offline
that won't stop the cpu from going to 100%, also increasing memory
won't  get the cpu to run more cycles so these fixes are BS.

We can't be (and I am sure are not) the only people with this issue and
MS still doesn't believe that it is as slow as it is.  Do they test in
a high-end environment for 25 minutes and then say we are ready to
ship?  I mean how did they not see that 'mobile laptops + sql server !=
good idea'.

Seriously any solutions or ideas would be more than appreciated.

0
jcarlock105
4/20/2006 7:51:50 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

How much data is the average user taking offline?  This will have the iggest
impact on the machine's response.  If the user isnt actively using CRM, then
SQL shouldn't be doing anything on the machine and should not be pulling
that much CPU.  How big is the MSDE DB on the machine?

Also, how large is the users mailbox?  That seems to have the biggest impact
on the outlook client.

--

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

<jcarlock105@gmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

Matt
4/21/2006 2:33:24 PM
You seem shocked that MS would actually test anything in the real world, lol.
 Having administered Great Plains and CRM for a while...I can tell you they
haven't got a clue what really happens in the small business world, and they
don't test jack.

"jcarlock105@gmail.com" wrote:

> Alright, everyone has posted different slow CRM questions.  Mine will
> be extremely specific.
>
> My organization runs CRM 3.0 with a pretty good sized database, size in
> my opinion should not matter, remember infinite scalability? Primarily
> with the Outlook 2003 add-in. Alright so they have an 'Offline Client',
> usually that means you'll be running on a laptop, or atleast that is
> how it is here.  With 1.4 GHz and 1 Gig of memory exactly how does MS
> expect people to support a MS SQL server locally?
>
> It pegs the CPU, makes outlook a hog and the machine is virtually
> useless until 2-5 minutes after boot, and Outlook is slow even after
> completing the boot process.  Both the sqlserver process and the helper
> process peg the cpu at different times.  My question is, how do we make
> these laptops, with these necessary CRM apps on them, run at a
> reasonable pace.  Is there some way to improve efficiency, or lower
> priority of the sqlserver, but my thought is that would only slow
> Outlook queries even more.
>
> So I guess the mobile/offline version of CRM makes a decent small form
> laptop useless.  MS recommends going SQL32 on the server, but offline
> that won't stop the cpu from going to 100%, also increasing memory
> won't  get the cpu to run more cycles so these fixes are BS.
>
> We can't be (and I am sure are not) the only people with this issue and
> MS still doesn't believe that it is as slow as it is.  Do they test in
> a high-end environment for 25 minutes and then say we are ready to
> ship?  I mean how did they not see that 'mobile laptops + sql server !=
> good idea'.
>
> Seriously any solutions or ideas would be more than appreciated.

How many contacts did the user have in outlook prior to starting to use
CRM?

Do they have lot of e-mails in their inbox / Sent items?

Did they import their outlook contacts into CRM?

0
Mr

One domain on exchange server not accepting connections
I setup a second domain on an Exchange 2003 server, and thought everything was working. Now, though, mail going to the second domain gets rejected, but mail going to the original domain is still working. I can telnet to the original domain, but not to the second domain. I've checked everything I know to check (I've setup plenty of domains on Exchange servers, so I believe I've gotten the setting correct), but I just can't get it to work. The MX records are correct, and mail.theseconddomain.com resolves to the right IP address (the same IP as mail.originaldomain.com), so it sh...

Exchange Server error message
I'm getting this error message from our exchange server 'error 552 too much mail data'. We have enough disk space on the server and we have no limits configured. Any ideas would be appreciated. "techman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm getting this error message from our exchange >server 'error 552 too much mail data'. We have enough disk >space on the server and we have no limits configured. Any >ideas would be appreciated. Does this happen for ALL messages, or just some? It may be that the message contains a line ...

Installed Exchange 2003 Server on new Hardwar... How to get rid of old Exchange 2000 Server?
Hi, Our single domain company (Win 2000 DC's) was running a single Exchange 2000 server. I bought a new server, installed Windows 2003 Server on it, joined it to the domian (non-DC) and then installed Exchange 2003 Server on that and joined it to the site. I then pointed our MX records towards the new box. As soon as I verified connectivity, I began moving user's mailboxes over 1 by 1. Everyone is now running smoothly on the new server. I have not as of yet removed the old server (still on, running, no mialboxes). The problem is, that as soon as I turn off the old Exchange 2000 s...

Do I have to put my files on a server to hyperlink in Publisher?
For a class project, we need to make a website. However I do not want to go live with the site (publish the site) for security purposes. Is there a way I can just make the hyperlinks for my files open without having to be on a server? The instructor wants a working but not live site. TJ If you are using Pub 2003, the built-in navigation bar uses relative links that will work on your local machine. Under Help type "navigation" for more information. Assuming you use the default setting, when you Publish to the Web, you can direct the html output to a folder on your computer. T...

I have over 100 excel sheets i need put in alphabetic order,how?
Background: I have an index page with hyperlinks to each sheet, each sheet has a COUNT function to add the entries and a SUM function on the index page which adds the result of each COUNT function, to do that I used "SUM(Birmingham:Worcester'!B2)" as each sheet has a geographical name a newly added sheet may not fall within the specified range and therefore may not be added. Is there a way to alphabetise these sheets? Rob, have a look here, http://www.cpearson.com/excel/sortws.htm -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to t...

How can I transfer Hotmail contacts to MS Office Outlook?
I'd like to transfer my "contacts" in MSN Hotmail into my MS Office Outlook Express. How does one go about this? Try posting this in an Outlook Express news group - this is not one of them. Outlook is a part of Microsoft Office and is what this group supports. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and has its own news groups. You can also find some good Outlook Express information here: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, al...

Error
Hello to all. I am a CRM newbie.... and I am looking for a little help... We installed Microsoft CRM v1.2 on a Windows SBS2003 server. We followed the Microsoft Business Solutions CROM Implementation Guide - SBS2003 section - during the installation. During the install, we created a new CRM website in IIS, and added a host header ("crm") and added "crm" to the DNS on the server. So far, so good. But, we have a problem whenever I choose Start->Programs->Microsoft CRM->Workflow Manager.... The Workflow Manager Logon window is displayed. I am prompted to enter th...

What's the function of folder subscription in MS Outlook 2003
Hi, I would like my MS Outlook to show all imap folders in my account, but to run routine updating only on my inbox folder. I would like each of my folders to be updated only when I choose a folder. I checked my folder list and identified a distinction between "all" folders and "subscribed folders". For some reason, all my folders were already subscribed. I've unsubscribed from my folders, but the complete list keeps showing up. Is there anything wrong with my folder list routine, or is my logic erronous? Please suggest a solution? Ran ...

Outlook Vote buttons integrated with MS CRM campaigns
Does anybody knows a work-around to integrate the functionality of 'vote buttons' in a MS CRM campaign (distributing email activity)? Since the email activity is distributed through the MS CRM email system, it is not possible to add vote buttons? Is there any way to send the campaign emails through Outlook, add voting buttons ("will you attend the event YES/NO"), and when the target member replies with yes/no it would automatically return as an "interested" or "not interested" campaign response...? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Mic...

how to Share Outlook on a win 2003 server
Hi I have Outlook 2003 and want to share it between users on my win 2003 server How does one do this? I have search outlook help etc, have not really found a clear answer. Thanks Phil Share Outlook how? The program? The files? Have many profiles running one version of Outlook? Please be more specific. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Phil <phillip@pmassociates.com.au> asked: | Hi I have Outlook 2003 and want to share it between users | on my win 2003 server |...

Updating MS Office 98 for Mac to newer MS Office version & other questions
Hi! I have a Mac iBook with a Power PC G3 Processor, Disk Cache: 4096k, Virtual Memory 129 MB, Built-In Memory 128 MB, Machine Speed 600MHz (so it says in the system profiler...I don't really know what all this means and if someone has an easy explanation, I'd appreciate it). Though it came with OSX, I have been running it on OS 9.2 because I purchased Microsoft Office 98 for Mac (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) back in 1999 for my last Mac (a desktop), so I loaded it onto this iBook when I got it. My question is, can I qualify for an update of MS Office? From browsing the web I noticed ther...

MS Visual C++ "Cann't initialize Debugging subsystem"
When i press Go(F5) for Debug my IDE is asking "Remote Executable path and file" and if i give the exe(static not remote one) then it is telling "Cann't initialize debugging Subsystem" - Any idea about this error message! Even if i press cancel when it asks for remote exe then also debuger is not getting start!! Thanks in Advance! Rajan dm.dll is exist at my machine! And also TheApp is not for WinCE; Hence, i guess it could be some other IDE setting problem -Rajan RajanM wrote: > When i press Go(F5) for Debug my IDE is asking "Remote Executable path > an...

Report Server Error 09-28-07
After uninstalling MSCRM from my server, I tried installing it again. This has led me to the problem of the report server. I'm using the default server name http://<servername>/reportserver and it's still not realizing that it is actually there and fully running. I've checked the Services section of my server and also checked the individual server status. Both are running within normal parameters. Before the uninstall, the report server was running properly and CRM recognised that it was actually there. Any ideas? ....reed Is this SQL Server 2000 or 2005 SRS? 1. Fo...

Can a front end server (OWA) also accept all mail for an organization
Hi, I was wondering if an Exchange front end server (OWA) could also act as the main server to receive mail before sending it on to an Exchange Cluster Server? Thanks, Dan Yes. You have to have the Information Store service started for this IIRC, but it can act as an SMTP Gateway. You would just point the mapping for port 25 on your firewall to the FE server. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "Dan" <dfulmek@accuwareinc.com> wrote in message news:exxQ$aCqFHA.2652@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I was wondering if an Exchange front end server (OW...

MS Money 2002 #4
How do I change my email address when I log onto MS Money 2002? You mean the mail address on your Passport? You have to go to the Passport Web site to do that. http://www.passport.com. Were I you, to be on the safe side, I'd go to File|Login Lockbox and remove the passport from your Money file first. Then go and change the email address on the Passport, the re-add the Passport, if you really want to. "Dawna" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4caa01c3e46f$c54f09a0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > How do I change my email address when I log onto MS Money ...

OWA cant send emails, error with SMTP Virtual Server
i have a server setup at home that is connected to a ISP that does not allow SMTP from another domain. I created a a new connector to send emails using the ISP smtp server. Exchange System Manager failed to retrieve queues for the SMTP Virtual Server (error code = 0x800706BE). Check the event log and verify that the required services are running. i cannot send or receive emails using OWA ...

MS Money 2005 Install
I purchased MS Money from Microsofts web site, Installed without a problem, Once it completes all updates and asks to restart money, I come up with the trial version. any ideas? I had the same experience. Here's what I did: First of all, I had made an online purchase of MS Money 2005 Deluxe for $60. Then, I ended up with the trial version, just as you did. Subsequently, while I was poking around in the trial version trying to figure out how to activate the full product, I found that the trial version advertises purchasing the full product of MS Money 2005 Deluxe for $40. So...

Help with SQL- SupplierList cost into Item cost field
Hi, re-posted! See below. Hi, thanks for that- it worked perfectly. There is just one snag however and I didn't think of it until I was testing. Many of the suppliers use specific currencies so the information I need copied from the Supplier tab is actually the Local Cost. When I view the SupplierList table, Local Cost doesn't appear as a column. Is it just a calculation based on exchange rates for information or does it actually exist somewhere within the database? Your help once again would be much appreciated. T. "convoluted" wrote: > Hi Tara - backup your...

Cannot use default SMTP Virtual Server
Hello All, I this problem since yesterday Actually I post this already and get some reply but that doesnt solve it. Again my problem is: I have newly setuo exhcange 2003 (SBS 2003) everythng works fine until I test for open relay (using telnet om port 25) and found that it was indeed open. So I check KB and follow intruction to allo only this IP block to relay mail 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.0 but when I try to telnet again the server on port 25 I cannot connecto it anymore. I restarted the service even the server itself but still I cannot connect to it. NOTE: I can connect with port...

Missing default SMTP virtual server
I have just been given the task to configure the IMF in our exchange setup, but have found what appears to be a problem. The Default SMTP Virtual Server is missing. Is there any way to re-instate it, or is this a sign of potentially bigger problems in our setup? Regards Chris Bartholomeusz Are you sure this was not just renamed? Do you see any virtual servers under SMTP Protocols. If yes then work with that to enable IMF. cheers, Alexander Zammit WinDeveloper Software IMF Tune - Unleash the Full Intelligent Message Filter Power http://www.windeveloper.com/imftune/ "Barton1967&q...

On-line quotes server does not work
OK - there are numerous posts in this Newsgroup stating that the on-line update to stock quotes and news does not work - everyone getting the "unable to connect to quotes server" error. Is it working for anyone? I switched from Quicken to Money and I'm about to switch back - at least Quicken can do something as simple as downloading quotes from a server reliably. Anyone home at Microsoft? On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 21:40:12 -0800, "Anyone home at Microsoft? Hello?" <fbella@aol.com> wrote: > >OK - there are numerous posts in this Newsgroup stating >that...

database question / feedback needed (GP8
Hello Everybody. We sold one of our companies, and the new owners are moving off Great Plains. They are transferring/rebuilding data in their new software on their own. For historical (GP) data, they have purchased some software to perform queries, and have requested I give them the data. I am planning to send a backup of the SQL Company dbase. They would not have a GP client, and would not be performing transactions - so I believe they really just want to access the various history tables. I prefer not to send the Dynamics dbase if I don't have to (passwords, etc). I guess my ques...

Barcode reader and ms access
Hello every body.. I am want to know more about ms access and barcode reader . can you tell me where can i find the sample of using ms access and barcode reader Thank.. Barcode reader operate as keyboard. you can use it with any application. Tom "cambo" <cambodia_khm@everyday.com.kh> wrote in message news:eGG3GcZnHHA.4424@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Hello every body.. > I am want to know more about ms access and barcode reader . > can you tell me where can i find the sample of using > ms access and barcode reader > Thank.. > > > Dear cambo: Ther...

MS Money for Mac OSX
Is there a MS Money version for Mac OSX? If not, any plans for it? Thanks. -Juan Sorry but no to both questions. MS have enough trouble trying to make money producing Money for the Windows platform. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "Juan C. Reyes" <jcrey...

Hotmail Server Path
Hi All, I need the paths as I need to enter them into my Evolution email app. Sorry for posting it here, but, Microsoft is a absolute mess for finding specific things. Cheers. coolboarderguy. does evolution support http? if so, do you have a paid account? http://www.slipstick.com/addins/services/online.htm#hotmail -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange S...