MS CRM, ACT, salesforce? Please help.

Hello,

I need a contact management solution, for single-person, small company
use.  I looked at Microsoft CRM, but I found it to be too advanced and
too costly for my needs.  I also investigated ACT and salesforce.com.
I do not know which way to go.  I can try ACT and salesforce, but I
thought I post a message here, and see if any of you can give me
advise on this.  Thank you for any information you can give me.

Talal Itani

0
titani
4/9/2007 12:52:58 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

You could also try business contact manager. The newsgroup for that is
microsoft.public.outlook.bcm. This is designed for individual users but has
an upgrade path to Microsoft CRM if needed

==============================
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP
http://www.crowecrm.com

<titani@airmail.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I need a contact management solution, for single-person, small company
> use.  I looked at Microsoft CRM, but I found it to be too advanced and
> too costly for my needs.  I also investigated ACT and salesforce.com.
> I do not know which way to go.  I can try ACT and salesforce, but I
> thought I post a message here, and see if any of you can give me
> advise on this.  Thank you for any information you can give me.
>
> Talal Itani

0
John
4/9/2007 1:40:15 PM
BCM can be used for up to 5 people and works within Outlook. BCM 2007 also
integrates to Microsoft Office Accounting 2007 although it doesn't have to.

--
Anne Stanton, MBSCP-CRM
President, The Norwich Group

Written on a Lenovo T60p running VISTA Ultimate
Tracked in MS Dynamics CRM v3.0 Rollup 1, Outlook Client v3.0C (with hotfix)
Good Neighbor to Groove 2007, OneNote 2007, Office Enterprise 2007,
Autotask, LinkedIN,
TypePad and More!
"John O'Donnell" <csharpconsulting@nospam-hotmail.com-nospam> wrote in
message news:%23YA$byqeHHA.4128@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> You could also try business contact manager. The newsgroup for that is
> microsoft.public.outlook.bcm. This is designed for individual users but
> has an upgrade path to Microsoft CRM if needed
>

> ==============================
> John O'Donnell
> Microsoft CRM MVP
> http://www.crowecrm.com
>

> <titani@airmail.net> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need a contact management solution, for single-person, small company
>> use.  I looked at Microsoft CRM, but I found it to be too advanced and
>> too costly for my needs.  I also investigated ACT and salesforce.com.
>> I do not know which way to go.  I can try ACT and salesforce, but I
>> thought I post a message here, and see if any of you can give me
>> advise on this.  Thank you for any information you can give me.
>>
>> Talal Itani

0
Anne
4/9/2007 3:30:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.  I use Outlook Express for Emails.  I
always found Outlook to be very cluttered and hard to grasp.  Since
BCM is an add-on to Outlook, it will probably have the same look and
feel as Outlook.  This is why I am contemplating ACT and salesforce.
Surely many will disagree with me on Outlook.

On Apr 9, 8:40 am, "John O'Donnell" <csharpconsult...@nospam-
hotmail.com-nospam> wrote:
> You could also try business contact manager. The newsgroup for that is
> microsoft.public.outlook.bcm. This is designed for individual users but has
> an upgrade path to MicrosoftCRMif needed
>
> ==============================
> John O'Donnell
> MicrosoftCRMMVPhttp://www.crowecrm.com
>
> <tit...@airmail.net> wrote in message

> > Hello,
>
> > I need a contact management solution, for single-person, small company
> > use.  I looked at MicrosoftCRM, but I found it to be too advanced and
> > too costly for my needs.  I also investigatedACTand salesforce.com.
> > I do not know which way to go.  I can tryACTand salesforce, but I
> > thought I post a message here, and see if any of you can give me
> > advise on this.  Thank you for any information you can give me.
>
> >TalalItani

0
titani
4/9/2007 4:40:03 PM
I agree, Microsoft CRM is not for SME's.  Way too expensive to customise.  I
was attracted to CRM due to supposed flexibility and customisation, but it is
not either of those for under $60k in the first year.

Try an internet based CRM, whichi s more user friendly.  And a warning about
ACT/Goldmine/Maximiser.  All these products are linked and have VERY FEW
techies supporting them (at least in Australia), so they charge a mint to get
help. Also, because they are proprietary databases, you can't export the
emails/files saved in them later.  they make it so you can't get your data
out, thus you don't switch.

"titani@airmail.net" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need a contact management solution, for single-person, small company
> use.  I looked at Microsoft CRM, but I found it to be too advanced and
> too costly for my needs.  I also investigated ACT and salesforce.com.
> I do not know which way to go.  I can try ACT and salesforce, but I
> thought I post a message here, and see if any of you can give me
> advise on this.  Thank you for any information you can give me.
>
> Talal Itani

And you don't think ACT is clunky ???

BCM 2007 is what your need

Maybe you can enlighten us as to what is hard to grasp about Outlook

Pete

> Thanks for the suggestion.  I use Outlook Express for Emails.  I
> always found Outlook to be very cluttered and hard to grasp.  Since
> BCM is an add-on to Outlook, it will probably have the same look and
> feel as Outlook.  This is why I am contemplating ACT and salesforce.
> Surely many will disagree with me on Outlook.
>

> On Apr 9, 8:40 am, "John O'Donnell" <csharpconsult...@nospam-
> hotmail.com-nospam> wrote:
>> You could also try business contact manager. The newsgroup for that is
>> microsoft.public.outlook.bcm. This is designed for individual users but
>> has
>> an upgrade path to MicrosoftCRMif needed
>>
>> ==============================
>> John O'Donnell
>> MicrosoftCRMMVPhttp://www.crowecrm.com
>>
>> <tit...@airmail.net> wrote in message

>> > Hello,
>>
>> > I need a contact management solution, for single-person, small company
>> > use.  I looked at MicrosoftCRM, but I found it to be too advanced and
>> > too costly for my needs.  I also investigatedACTand salesforce.com.
>> > I do not know which way to go.  I can tryACTand salesforce, but I
>> > thought I post a message here, and see if any of you can give me
>> > advise on this.  Thank you for any information you can give me.
>>
>> >TalalItani

0
Peter
4/10/2007 3:44:46 AM
On Apr 9, 10:44 pm, "Peter Hale" <p...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> And you don't think ACT is clunky ???
>
> BCM 2007 is what your need
>
> Maybe you can enlighten us as to what is hard to grasp aboutOutlook
>
> Pete
>
> <tit...@airmail.net> wrote in message

> > Thanks for the suggestion.  I useOutlookExpress for Emails.  I
> > always foundOutlookto be very cluttered and hard to grasp.  Since
> > BCM is an add-on toOutlook, it will probably have the same look and
> > feel asOutlook.  This is why I am contemplating ACT and salesforce.
> > Surely many will disagree with me onOutlook.
>
> > On Apr 9, 8:40 am, "John O'Donnell" <csharpconsult...@nospam-
> > hotmail.com-nospam> wrote:
> >> You could also try business contact manager. The newsgroup for that is
> >> microsoft.public.outlook.bcm. This is designed for individual users but
> >> has
> >> an upgrade path to MicrosoftCRMif needed
>
> >> ==============================
> >> John O'Donnell
> >> MicrosoftCRMMVPhttp://www.crowecrm.com

I said that Outlook is hard to grasp and confusing.  I think I simply
never invested time and thoughts into learning Outlook.  Since many of
you suggested Outlook with BCM, I will learn these tools. By the way,
I was today searching the web for MS BCM, and came across a similar
product named Prophet.

> >> <tit...@airmail.net> wrote in message

0
titani
4/10/2007 2:53:55 PM
Outlook does need some configuring when you open it out of the box..
Needless to say your first impression. Once I make a few tweaks to Outlook
it sings...

I also use Outlook Express - Now WindowsMail 2007 for my Forum work.

--
Anne Stanton, MBSCP-CRM
President, The Norwich Group
Principal, GlobalBrain LLC
The CRM Lady at www.CRMLady.com

Written on a Lenovo T60p running VISTA Ultimate
Tracked in MS Dynamics CRM v3.0 Rollup 1, Outlook Client v3.0C (with hotfix)
Good Neighbor to Groove 2007, OneNote 2007, Office Enterprise 2007,
Autotask, LinkedIN,
TypePad and More!
<titani@airmail.net> wrote in message

> Thanks for the suggestion.  I use Outlook Express for Emails.  I
> always found Outlook to be very cluttered and hard to grasp.  Since
> BCM is an add-on to Outlook, it will probably have the same look and
> feel as Outlook.  This is why I am contemplating ACT and salesforce.
> Surely many will disagree with me on Outlook.
>

> On Apr 9, 8:40 am, "John O'Donnell" <csharpconsult...@nospam-
> hotmail.com-nospam> wrote:
>> You could also try business contact manager. The newsgroup for that is
>> microsoft.public.outlook.bcm. This is designed for individual users but
>> has
>> an upgrade path to MicrosoftCRMif needed
>>
>> ==============================
>> John O'Donnell
>> MicrosoftCRMMVPhttp://www.crowecrm.com
>>
>> <tit...@airmail.net> wrote in message

>> > Hello,
>>
>> > I need a contact management solution, for single-person, small company
>> > use.  I looked at MicrosoftCRM, but I found it to be too advanced and
>> > too costly for my needs.  I also investigatedACTand salesforce.com.
>> > I do not know which way to go.  I can tryACTand salesforce, but I
>> > thought I post a message here, and see if any of you can give me
>> > advise on this.  Thank you for any information you can give me.
>>
>> >TalalItani

0
Anne
4/10/2007 9:39:46 PM
Easy.  Salesforce.   I've used both.  Stuck with CRM - too hard to customize,
it's crap.   Salesforce is inexpensive and is alot easier to us.

"titani@airmail.net" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need a contact management solution, for single-person, small company
> use.  I looked at Microsoft CRM, but I found it to be too advanced and
> too costly for my needs.  I also investigated ACT and salesforce.com.
> I do not know which way to go.  I can try ACT and salesforce, but I
> thought I post a message here, and see if any of you can give me
> advise on this.  Thank you for any information you can give me.
>
> Talal Itani

Dynamics CRM is not designed/intended/suitable for a single person small
business, you should look elsewhere without a doubt. CRM 3.0 is a great
product - but not for a one-man-band

"Danny" <Danny@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Easy.  Salesforce.   I've used both.  Stuck with CRM - too hard to
> customize,
> it's crap.   Salesforce is inexpensive and is alot easier to us.
>
> "titani@airmail.net" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I need a contact management solution, for single-person, small company
>> use.  I looked at Microsoft CRM, but I found it to be too advanced and
>> too costly for my needs.  I also investigated ACT and salesforce.com.
>> I do not know which way to go.  I can try ACT and salesforce, but I
>> thought I post a message here, and see if any of you can give me
>> advise on this.  Thank you for any information you can give me.
>>
>> Talal Itani

0
Peter

Please Help!!! credit/debit card processing
I know there is way to set up the credit/debit card processing without actually using ICVERIFY or PCCHARGE. I am guessing you would have to emulate something but, I am not really sure on how it is done. Any kind of input will be greatly appreciated. RMS does come with an integrated Credit Card processing solution. Before you can set up Store Operations to process credit and debit card transactions through Citibank, you must have an Internet connection. Your connection must support SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) and HTTPS: (Port 443). Processing through Citibank does not support direct...

all new and existing db's say "ms jet db engine stopped the proces
Hi, I've read all the posts regarding this error "The Microsoft Jet database engine stopped the process because you and another user are attempting to change the same data at the same time." I'm getting this message every time I try to open any new or existing MS Access database and they will not open. I've had this message before as described by others, but this is not an SQL back end table with a null or query, form, or crash problem. One of our desktop techs found a solution, but works for another company now. Anyone else have a solution? I have several desktop...

Primission / resticted access to files using the MS server
I wish I have NEVER deciced to use this facility!!!@ I should have kept to paper and pin.. This word file is totally useless to me now. I have been using the tool facilty sucessfully for years but now it won't let me get to my own files.., I think you can tell what I think about this product. Hello Ron Ron wrote: > I wish I have NEVER deciced to use this facility!!!@ I should have kept to > paper and pin.. This word file is totally useless to me now. I have been > using the tool facilty sucessfully for years but now it won't let me get to > my own fi...

Project Accounting and Time & Expense connecting with MS Project
We need an easy way to connect hours reported for project inside Business portal to also be connnected with MS Project to better manage overall projects. MS Project should be able to look at the GP database of Time reports. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message ...

help with separate email accounts
hi- i have multiple email accounts with roadrunner- i've set up the accounts using the wizard On my Microsoft Outlook 200 sr-1 and entered all the pertinent info. however i don't know how to manage the accounts from the tool bar--in other words...i don't know how to check each and every email separtly. in my old Outlook Express 6.0., i would normally go to File-->Switch Identites---> and then i would select which email i wanted to go to--to write or read my Inbox....with my upgrade to Microsoft Outlook 2000 SR-1---i don't know how to do the same. I'm stuck ...

Help! error while installing CRM 3.0
Hi, During the installation of the CRM SBE 3.0 on SBS server 2003 premium, performing binary install of Microsoft CRM server components, I got en error, CRM 3.0 server setup failed, here is the last part of the crm30svrsetup.log. .... Installing MSCRM prepopulated data 08:49:50| Info| Creating indices in MSCRM database 08:49:51| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: The Microsoft Search service cannot be administered under the present user account at System.Data.SqlClien...

Seaside Helps Shutdown the MSBlaster Worm!
Seaside Helps Shutdown the MSBlaster Worm! Internet Worm Shuts Out Email Users On Monday, August 11th, a new worm was discovered infecting machines across the Internet. The worm is spreading rapidly by exploiting a Microsoft Windows DCOM RPC vulnerability. The worm spreads itself by attacking port 135, the port used by Outlook Exchange clients to connect to Microsoft Exchange servers. In an effort to stop the spread of the worm, many organizations, including numerous ASPs and ISPs, have shutdown Internet access to port 135. Unfortunately, this also shuts down Outlook clients using MAPI t...

Reports and CRM v1.2
I have just upgraded from 1.0 to 1.2 using the Adventure Cycle Database. I have a list of all the reports but get an error, when I try to access the reports below the top level, suggesting that I may not have enough Crystal Report Licenses? This worked fine when I was at 1.0! In addition I tried to install the Crystal Reports Enhancements and it suggested I need version 9.2 instead of 9.0! Help!!!! I have looked through the other threads and see some similar issues but no definitive answer. Peter Peter I was told by Microsoft yesterday that the crystal addon for crm requires crys...

Help with Transpose problem
I trade in the stock market & use excel to convert a list of ticker symbols to a csv file to import to a charting program. I start with a vertical list in excel, I copy then paste special & tell it to transpose. It seems if the list is too long I get an error message: "The information cannot be pasted because the copy area and the paste areas are not the same size and shape. Try one of the following: Click a single cell then paste. Select a rectangle that's the same size and shape, and then paste" I assume what is happening is that I don't have enough columns across...

Help! Money 2k4 wont work!
Everytime I try to run M2004, I get an error message, including restart M2004. But it will not load. Tried reinstalling etc... Nothing seems to work. Can anyone help me to get money 2004 up and running again? THANKS! And that error message would be............ "Malcolm" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0e6201c3c685$018d66e0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Everytime I try to run M2004, I get an error message, > including restart M2004. But it will not load. Tried > reinstalling etc... Nothing seems to work. Can anyone > help me to get money 200...

creating workflow using MS Outlook
hi! can anyone help me on how to develop a leave workflow app using outlook. ...

Excel and MS Works v4.5
Have been using MS Works v4.5 with W98se for some time now due to invoicing capability, but am new to e-mail and the net. Am wondering if Works document or spreadsheet files are e- mailable or convertible to such and also if recipient can read these files with more modern versions of Excel and Word. Thanks Mark I use excel2002, but not Works. But Works has an option under File|SaveAs to save as a .xls file. I think I'd do a little experiment and save your file as a .xls file and email one. Then find out if everything worked ok. Mark wrote: > > Have been using MS Works ...

CRM Live
I haven't any reference to if or how CRM Live would accomodate SQL Reporting Services. Any ideas? Hi Don, we've been part of the Titan TAP, but I can't recall anything specific about CRM Live and SRS reports. CRM 3.0 reports will need to be upgraded to CRM 4.0 reports because of the significant changes between report formats to handle the new reporting connector (no more double-Kerberos hops to SRS), and other changes. I'm sure you'll be able to develop SRS reports in Visual Studio and upload them to CRM Live or use the Report Builder tool to develop basic reports ...

CRM 1.2 Workflow e-mail
I created a workflow and e-mail that triggers when a Case is assigned a certain status. I used slugs to insert field data into the e-mail. I have two questions 1. Can I display the date on for the following. Currently the data and time display as in the example provided: &incident.createdon; Currently displays = 2006-03-07T17:35:29Z Desired Change = 2006-03-07 2. I am unable to return the First and Last Name of the Case Owner. I attempted to use the following: &systemuser.FirstName; &systemuser.LastName; I also tried: &systemuser.firstname; &systemuser.last...

Installing MS Publisher from Office XP Professional
How can I install MS Publisher. I was told it comes with this suite but cannot seem to be able to find it anywhere on the setup CD. Thanks a lot in advance, Pete. StepNjump <StepNjump@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > How can I install MS Publisher. > I was told it comes with this suite but cannot seem to be able to > find it anywhere on the setup CD. Whoever told you that told you wrong. Only a very select few copies of Office XP Pro came with Publisher, and it probably wasn't yours. Office Professional 2003 *does *come with Publisher...

Help Freezing Multiple Rows
In earlier versions, you clicked below the rows you wanted frozen in place or to the right of the rows you wanted frozen. Now I see only how to freeze row 1. I have a main title in row 1, row 2 is blank and row 3 has column headings, so I want row 3 to stay frozen in place. I am having trouble accomplishing this and need help, please. Thank you. -- Virgo click on cell A4 then on the menu bar Window/Freeze Panes "Virgo" wrote: > In earlier versions, you clicked below the rows you wanted frozen in place or > to the right of the rows you wanted frozen....

Date function help
I have order received date. I will start the order on the next comin THURDAY always. My delivery date is 9 days from the start. eg. Received date = 5/7/2004. Start Date is = 8/7/2004. Delivery dat will be 17/7/2004. Can somebody help with a formula to calculate delivery date. By the wa we are into furniture manufacturing. Thanks in advance, Itt -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com > ... My delivery date is 9 days from the start. > .. a formula to calculate delivery date. If col B contains the start dates, from row2 down just put in say, C2: =B2+9 (think Excel will fo...

Track in CRM: not have enough privileges to access the crm object
Outlook Crm Client (online) : When people click TRACK IN CRM they get this message: You do not have enough privileges to access the microsoft crm object to perform the requested operation. For more information, contact you system admin. Do you want to send the e-mail? If you click yes, the e-mail will be sent out, but no correspondening activity will be created in MS CRM. Does this have something to do with their roles? If so, what security setting is wrong in the role ?? Do the users have append to privilages for the entity they are trying to track against. If they don't the...

Data types
How do you mach the data type in excell with the data type in access? In excess I have have for SSN the category as special and type social security number, ans in Access I have the data type as" number". What can I do to get them to mach so I can update my records? Also with Zip code and Phone number in excel and "number" in Access. Andrew Hi it is generally accepted that zip code, phone number (maybe SSN, but i don't use these) are stored as TEXT in Access as you're not performing calculations with them and might like to store non-numeric symbols (e.g. t...

Error problem ?! Someone help ?
Account: 'Windows Mail', Server: 'pop3.live.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR command not implemented', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18 Try these settings: Live.com Settings: Server names and ports: POP3 = pop3.live.com Port = 995 SMTP = smtp.live.com Port = 587 Checkboxes you need to check include: Server Tab: "My server requires authentication" (Click "Settings" button also and fill in "Log on Using" email address - *** but do NOT check the ...

MS Access
I know that this strictly speaking is an Excel NG, however as Access is somewhat linked to Excel, I thought i'd ask my question here as you guys always prove helpful. Basically, I've never used Access before. Nonetheless, I've just looked at a Access helpguide webpage and played about with it and kinda got the hang of it. However, I got confused when it came to linking tables together, as all my info seemed to be in one table. If anybody is willing and good on Access, I'd appreciate it if you email me at intngree@livjm.ac.uk , so as I can explain what I am trying to achieve a...

Budget Help for Refinance of Mortgage
Refinanced my mortgage in September. Closed the old mortgage and opened new mortgage. Under Budget Debt in the budget repoorts now totals the amount of the old mortgage payment plus the new one. Obviously would like to eliminate the old one...When actually using the budget module to set up budget only shows the new mortgage payment Any suggestions ...

Does MS CRM have to be on separate server?
I have read that in cases where the server machine is running MS Small Business Server, MS CRM cannot co-exist with MS SQL Server or MS Exchange Server. Does anyone know why this is the case or if it can be overcome using vmware or something similar? Hi, it is actually the opposite, the only single box supported configuration with CRM is with Small Business Server. -- Olivier Schmitt Microsoft Business Solutions Support Ce message est fourni en l'�tat, sans garantie d'aucune sorte, et ne vous conf�re aucun droit. Vous assumez tous les risques li�s � son utilisation. "Stu&...

Windows ME and excel compatibility Help!!!!!
I am in urgent need of some help!!! I have Windows Millenium on my computer and this came with Microsoft works. I hate it! It does not contain microsoft excel for some reason, only microsoft works spreadsheet. This program is horrible and will not do any of the functions that excel does. Does anyone know what I need to do to get some sort of version of excel 97? I see that you can get excel 2003 (very expensive) but I just need the oldest version that is compatible with most excel files out there. I am ina frantic state because I recently signed up for an online class that requi...

Try on that critical patch from MS
--tubqraiueqdaemnh Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="rdukmkcxgkuqbpf"; type="multipart/alternative" --rdukmkcxgkuqbpf Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="jkthreplkbhxiivp" --jkthreplkbhxiivp Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "February 2004, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilit...