Moving A CRM (v3.0) Database

If you are thinking of moving your CRM database to another server in the
same domain I thought I would just write down my experiences of this process
that may help others when they have to do the same.

The Scenario: We had a CRM system running on one machine (CRM, IIS, SQL
Server, ReportServer) and wanted to move the database to a better machine to
help with the performance improvement on the CRM system. We didn’t want to
have too much down-time and didn’t want to have to go through the joy of
reinstalling CRM.

The Solution: Having done a bit of research I came across this article from
MS http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917948/en-us about moving CRM SQL
databases which seemed ideal. I followed the instructions to the letter and
crossed my fingers as I started the CRM system again.

The Problem: Everything seemed to be going OK as I surfed round the system,
Contacts, Accounts, Activities, everything seemed to be as it was before the
transfer? That was until I checked the Marketing Lists and tried to view the
members of a few different lists. The CRM system kept throwing up and error
asking me to contact the system administrator. So I spent a couple of days
trying to figure out what I had done wrong and was about to give up the idea
of not having to reinstall CRM.

The Actual Solution: The text provided by MS is actually correct except for
one thing. They forgot to say reboot the CRM server after you have configured
the SQL Server in the Deployment Manager. As it turns out that is all that I
needed to do. After the CRM server reboot the Marketing List members were
accessible, along with everything else, and the system seems to be
functioning normally. I will say that although this worked for me, it will
not be the answer to everyone’s problems when using the same process; I just
thought it was worth sharing the knowledge.

crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Thanks Al very helpful reading because we would have to do that too at some
stage soon. :)

"Al" wrote:

> Moving A CRM (v3.0) Database
>

> If you are thinking of moving your CRM database to another server in the
> same domain I thought I would just write down my experiences of this process
> that may help others when they have to do the same.
>
> The Scenario: We had a CRM system running on one machine (CRM, IIS, SQL
> Server, ReportServer) and wanted to move the database to a better machine to
> help with the performance improvement on the CRM system. We didn’t want to
> have too much down-time and didn’t want to have to go through the joy of
> reinstalling CRM.
>
> The Solution: Having done a bit of research I came across this article from
> MS http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917948/en-us about moving CRM SQL
> databases which seemed ideal. I followed the instructions to the letter and
> crossed my fingers as I started the CRM system again.
>
> The Problem: Everything seemed to be going OK as I surfed round the system,
> Contacts, Accounts, Activities, everything seemed to be as it was before the
> transfer? That was until I checked the Marketing Lists and tried to view the
> members of a few different lists. The CRM system kept throwing up and error
> asking me to contact the system administrator. So I spent a couple of days
> trying to figure out what I had done wrong and was about to give up the idea
> of not having to reinstall CRM.
>
> The Actual Solution: The text provided by MS is actually correct except for
> one thing. They forgot to say reboot the CRM server after you have configured
> the SQL Server in the Deployment Manager. As it turns out that is all that I
> needed to do. After the CRM server reboot the Marketing List members were
> accessible, along with everything else, and the system seems to be
> functioning normally. I will say that although this worked for me, it will
> not be the answer to everyone’s problems when using the same process; I just
> thought it was worth sharing the knowledge.

Where to run script to create database including tables and store procedures?
I downloaded SQL 2008 express and install database without management studiio. Where to run script to create database including tables and store procedures? -- Message posted via SQLMonster.com http://www.sqlmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/sql-server/201004/1 You can use the SQLCMD utility: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms180944.aspx -- Plamen Ratchev http://www.SQLStudio.com Read Aaron's article also http://sqlblog.com/blogs/aaron_bertrand/archive/2010/03/31/more-info-stand-alone-installer-for-management-studio-express-2008.aspx "aspfun via SQLMons...

Outlook categories lost when moving IMAP emails
Hi all, I'm using categories with an IMAP email account in Outlook 2007. I can add categories to emails using the "Categories" field, though I understand the category functionality is limited with IMAP. When I move a categorized email message from one folder to another, the category is lost. I assume this is because the original email is deleted and the "moved" email is actually another sent copy synced to the server. Question: Is there a way to get the category of the current email applied to the "moved" email in the folder I move it to? ...

Error enabling users in 4.0
Hi, Just upgraded to version CRM 4.0 on a test server using the 90 day trial key and everything went well. Yesterday the Gold Partner Enterprise key arrived and I upgraded the license. I went into user management and tried to enable some of the users I had disabled during test. Got the error below. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks, Manso [SqlException (0x80131904): Cannot insert duplicate key row in object 'dbo.SystemUserPrincipals' with unique index 'cndx_SystemUserPrincipals'. Cannot insert duplicate key row in object 'dbo.SystemUserPrincipals' with ...

ComboBox on Worksheet can't be moved anymore???
Hi - Im working on a project that is basically a tax and cash flow calculator. Anyway there is an input sheet with a number of combo boxes doing various things. Made heaps of progress with it.....all working nicely.......save and close and then open again........ hey presto combo boxes have moved and can't be moved back! I tried design mode of course. When I click on the boxes in design mode a black circle with a line through it appears instead of the 6 white dots around it.... HELP!!!! Thanks in advance. gixasixa also I cant delete the box and all the control buttons are unavaila...

How do you sort zip codes with 0's being the lead number?
How do you sort zip codes where some of them start with 0? I have changed the format to text, number, general with no luck. I would like to be able to do this without having to put a ' in front of the number. The secret is to find the special format for zip codes and format them all that way. Select the cells with zips and delete all the ' marks, and - marks if any, using the Replace function. Then go to Format-Cells. Click on the Number tab and select Special. There is one format for 5-digit zips and another for 9-digit (which automatically inserts the hyphen). If you enter a...

Outlook Problem for CRM
Anybody could help me ??????????? Thanks I installed CRM Sales for Outlook. Everything seems fine, however I cannot see the detail when I click any items such as Accounts, Invoices and leads. A window pops up and tells me an error happened And in the event viewer, I got the following message : MSCRM Application Error Report: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Error Message: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the erro...

CRM task are not showing up in outlook?
One of our workstations is not showing the task that are created in CRM in the task under outlook. He also recieves a permissions error after creating the task but it still post in CRM. the other workstations work just fine. uninstalled outlook crm and reinstalled and that fixed my problem >-----Original Message----- >One of our workstations is not showing the task that are >created in CRM in the task under outlook. He also >recieves a permissions error after creating the task but >it still post in CRM. the other workstations work just >fine. >. > ...

How to edit the .dsp file manually in VC6.0?
How to edit the .dsp file manually in VC6.0? -- jake Open it as a text file in file open dialog. You can select it as text in "open as" combo box at the bottom of file open dialog. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Jakein2006" <peng_xh@163.com> wrote in message news:A73D3E1A-61EB-4240-AF34-3F2DBFFD02C5@microsoft.com... > > How to edit the .dsp file manually in VC6.0? > -- > jake I don't often edit this file manually (haven't had a reason), but when I've wanted to see what was in it I just use Notepad. Tom "Jakei...

Upgrading from 3.0 SBS to 4.0 professional?
We are looking to upgrade to version 4.0 and at the same time take the opportunity to move our infrastructure away from SBS. I've searched numerous sites and newsgroups but there's no definitive answer on this and no detailed instructions if it is possible. Any help would be appreciated. ...

My database loads but disabled?
Hello I have a database on Access 2003 - works ! Opended it in 2007 - does not work? Converted it to 2007 - does not work? All the forms and tables load okay. I have a switchboard with command buttons - 'Click' - opens form All the buttons act disabled, but are enabled in 'Properties' I have tried everything I can think of, can anyone suggest any way forward please Would be much appreicated ! Al "...does not work" is not particularly informative. Do you mean: - the PC freezes up and displays no error message? - the PC catches fire? - A...

Database fields in Excel?
I have an order sheet system set up in Word which uses merge fields in tables to fill in store names, dates, etc. The "database" linked to the tables is an Excel sheet which I update manually each week. On every page, below each table, is an OLE spreadsheet from Excel which has the actual items on the order form. I'm wondering if I can "eliminate the middle man" and just put the merge fields into the OLE sheet. Is it possible to insert merge fields into an Excel sheet and link one sheet to another? ...

Database Errors and Can't Install service pack
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel 1. I upgraded to OSX 10.6 2. When I load Word or Excel or Power Point I get "There is a problem with the Database" 3. I follow the steps to do a rebuild. It tells me its done but the moving bar only gets about 80% of the way to the right and freezes. 4. This does not fix the problem 5. I check for updates, the Service Pack 12.1 comes up and looks for a long time for my hard drive (searching for additional disks)! 6. When I choose my hard drive, I get the following message. "Office 2008 SP1 Update (12....

Database fields
I am trying to integrate a Fedex Client/server shipping solution with RMS- need to know what tables-fields in the SQL DB that I would use to write back the tracking number and mark the order as processed int the c-shift F8 Edit Shipping dialog box. CAn anybody help? 'Shipping' table: TrackingNumber, Status (0/1), and DateProcessed fields. - Evan Culver New West Technologies V wrote: > I am trying to integrate a Fedex Client/server shipping solution with RMS- > need to know what tables-fields in the SQL DB that I would use to write back > the tracking number and mark...

Move/Resize
Hello All How Can I Resising Controls And Change There Position At THe Run Time Note I Am Using Access XP Thanks When you're running code or in runtime environment you obviously can't change the design of the forms, but you can most certainly move controls, and sat there with a knife properties. for example, to move a control on your screen to the 2.5 inch position, you can go: Me.Command0.Left = 1440 * 2.5 It is not clear at all if you're asking if you can resize and move controls at run time, or if you're asking for some generalized code that will automatic...

Outlook Rule
Does anyone know how to set up a rule in Outlook XP so that the emails sent in Jan 04 (For example) are moved into a folder I've set up called Jan04 and the mails sent in Feb04 are moved into the Feb04 folder etc Thank you for your help Hi, Here's how you can do that. Create a new rule : 1. check messages when they arrive. 2. Received in a specific date span ( specify Jan 01 to Jan 31.. for Example ) 3. Move it to a specified folder ( specify Jan 04 for ex ) 4. Next and then Finish and then Apply the rule for the already existing mails in the Inbox. That should do the tr...

Moving the XmlTextReader.Read() pointer back to the start?
I'm using the XmlTextReader class to parse an XML feed. I need to search for elements that may or may not be there; for example, if there was an error with my request the XML will contain an <error> element. If there was nothing wrong this element won't be in it. My problem with this is that after searching through the XML the first time looking for the <error> element using the XmlTextReader.Read() method, I can't search for any other element because the Read() pointer is at the end. Is there anyway to move it back to the beginning so I can search for other elements? ...

Installation of CRM 3.0 failed
I am trying to install CRM 3.0 using Windows Server 2003. The system check does not return an errors and installation gets about half way through when the failure happens. I have included the last part of the log: 14:26:35| Info| Create the MSCRM delete-schedule stored procedure 14:26:35| Info| Create the MSCRM replication 14:27:07| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: General network error. Check your network documentation. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.Execu...

move public folders from Exchange 2000 to 2003 #2
I've moved all of my user mailboxes, but how do I move the Public folders to my new mail server? On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:05:57 -0400, "Glenn" <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote: >I've moved all of my user mailboxes, but how do I move the Public folders to >my new mail server? > Same org? Add replicas to the new server. yes it is the same org, but I will be getting rid of the old server. "Andy David - MVP" <adavid@pleasekeepinngcheesebucket.com> wrote in message news:ed8a42999gn8j0veq54veojp11nfsbjq4b@4ax.com... > On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:05:57 -04...

Lines of a particular slope that can be moved around
Hello to all, I am plotting a graph that can be approximated using 2 straight line (follows one straight line in a particular range and the other line i the remaining range). The slope of the 2 lines (approximating th plotted curve) can be calculated using formulae. Right now I have 2 lines from the drawing toolbar on the chart - s that the user can move the line on the graph and see that it is indee made of 2 straight lines. In this case, the line remains static and th user has to change the slope of the line each time parameters change. I there anyway to draw a line of specified variable...

Retire Asset
Hello - I have 2 assets which were both incorrectly added into the Fixed Asset system. The Placed In Service Date is January 2010. I assume the correct way to fix the issue is to retire the asset with the same date as it was entered. My question is what effect will this have on my General Ledger? And how should I fix the G/L to correct the negative effect? Thank you in advance for your help!!! Submitted via EggHeadCafe Obsessive Defragmentation Disorder (ODD) and You http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/b5f241d0-4e5d-44f9-aad9-78211fdea4df/obsessive-defragmentation-disorder-od...

4.0 Client Config error
The Client config returns an error with this in the server log; Exception information: Exception type: HttpParseException Exception message: Could not create type 'Microsoft.Crm.Sdk.Crm2007.CrmDiscoveryServiceAD'. Request information: Request URL: http://toshiba2002:5555/MSCRMServices/2007/AD/CrmDiscoveryService.asmx Request path: /MSCRMServices/2007/AD/CrmDiscoveryService.asmx The web client works OK, and I also get this same error when I try to connect the DMManager. The Server is SBE. Any ideas? -- Thanx Grizz Dear see this http://support.micros...

Upgrade from CRM 3 SBE to CRM 4 Prof Edition
My client is using CRM 3 on SBS R2. They want to move CRM 3 to a new server with Windows 2003 on a separate box and then upgrade to cRM 4. They have already got CRM 4 Professional Edition License key from Microsoft. Client do not want to run CRM upgrade on live SBS which would be a risk for running system. They also do not want to set up a identical test environment due to resource crunch. I am thinking upgrade process as below: Upgrade the license key on existing CRM server from Small Business Edition to Prof. Edition. Take back up of databases. Restore databases on new Windows 2003 Serve...

Outlook CRM Client
We've recently installed CRM Dynamics and it works fine. We also installed the Outlook client on several laptops which has worked fine for most of us except myself who has recently experienced a Synchronisation failure and subsequently the Outlook client is showing Disabled. The event leading up to the problem was to do with tracking Emails in the CRM system. I've been using the normal views within Outlook CRM to view clients, contacts, leads etc, no problem at all. I then thought I'd try to use the CRM client to track an email. I opened an email, hit the Track button a...

Problem opening Web Pages IE 6.0 & XP (SP2) users
Hi, I'm having problems with users with IE 6.0 and XP Service Pack 2, accessing a web page generated by Visio 2003 (SP1). If they click on a hyperlink that opens a new page, they just get a blank screen, and the only soruce is the open/close HTML tags. This isn't a problem with IE 6.0 and XP Service Pack 1. Is there a setting within SP2 under IE that is preventing these pages from loading? I've tried turning on/off various settings in IE (i.e. Active X, Java, selecting different page encodings, etc.), but nothing seems to make a difference. Is there a fix or a work arou...

Database Size Limit for Small Business Edition
Is Exchange 2003 RTM (including SBS2003) the same as Standard Edition of 16GB limit? Or does it have a different databse limit? Yes, with SBS 2003 Exchange 2003 Service Pack 2 you can increase the limit to 75GB. See, http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Explaining-Database-size-limit-changes-Exchange-2003-Service-Pack-2.html -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2006 Microsoft Certified Partner "Tone Przyszlak" <Tone Przyszlak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:82074267-D992-4710-80F8-EF323D78AE8C@microsoft.com... > Is Exchange 2003 RTM (inclu...