Migrating from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0 - Best Practices/ Server and Cli

I know that the below issue might have been raised tens of times, but
unfortunately I have not yet found clear steps on how to do it !!

We have been working with CRM 3.0 for the last 2 years or so.
Our CRM 3.0 is deployed on a Win2003 Server, SQL Server 2005.

Currently, we have plans to use CRM 4.0 so I have a number of things that
are rather worrying me and I am not sure how to go about them:

1- We will have a dedicated server with Windows2003 Server Installed and
a fresh SQL Server 2005 Installation. Apparently, I need to restore our
current CRM 3.0 database on this new server then install CRM 4.0. However, I
don't know the correct procedure, order or steps for doing so.
If any clear and detailed steps are available regarding this point I will be
really grateful.

2-We have added so many customizations to CRM 3.0 such as Custom Entities,
Custom Attributes to existing Entities and OnSave event scripts in some CRM
forms such as the Opportunity form.
Will these customizations migrate gracefully to CRM 4.0 or should we expect
problems? If so what should we do as one of these entities and attributes
contain important data.

3- Some CRM users are currently using CRM through the web interface,
however, the majority of our users (Specially those that travel a lot) are
using CRM through "CRM Laptop Client for Outlook" so that they can use their
CRM Offline or Online. Currently they are using Outlook 2003-SP2 deployed on
Windows-XP-SP2.
What should we do with these clients. Should we upgrade their environment to
Windows Vista with Office 2007 ? Or What?

Thanks in advance

0
luai7 (37)
2/27/2008 9:30:01 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Hello,

Here are my answers to your questions:

1. In order to migrate to new server you will need:
    - Back up you CRM database and metabase
    - Restore them on new machine with only Windows and SQL on it (NO CRM
installed)
    - Use Redeployment Tool (found on your Server install CD) to map you DB
to AD correctly on the new machine (there's a documentation on how to do it
right there as well, and as long as you're not moving to new AD it'll be
very easy process).
    - Install CRM 3.0 using EXISTING database on this new server
    - Upgrade it to CRM 4.0 as usual

2.  Entity and attribute customizations will upgrade just fine. As for the
scripts - it will depend on whether they were only using supported features
of CRM 3.0 or were trying to manipulate IE DOM directly. In second case they
most likely will not work (hence unsupported customization)

3. Outlook 2003 and XP are fine, CRM 3.0 clients will get upgrade to 4.0.
Upgrade to latest service pack is usually required, but I suppose that
shouldn't be an issue.

--
Thank you.
- Alexander Panov [MSFT]

"luai7" <luai7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I know that the below issue might have been raised tens of times, but
> unfortunately I have not yet found clear steps on how to do it !!
>
> We have been working with CRM 3.0 for the last 2 years or so.
> Our CRM 3.0 is deployed on a Win2003 Server, SQL Server 2005.
>
> Currently, we have plans to use CRM 4.0 so I have a number of things that
> are rather worrying me and I am not sure how to go about them:
>
> 1- We will have a dedicated server with Windows2003 Server Installed and
> a fresh SQL Server 2005 Installation. Apparently, I need to restore our
> current CRM 3.0 database on this new server then install CRM 4.0. However,
> don't know the correct procedure, order or steps for doing so.
> If any clear and detailed steps are available regarding this point I will
> be
> really grateful.
>
> 2-We have added so many customizations to CRM 3.0 such as Custom Entities,
> Custom Attributes to existing Entities and OnSave event scripts in some
> CRM
> forms such as the Opportunity form.
> Will these customizations migrate gracefully to CRM 4.0 or should we
> expect
> problems? If so what should we do as one of these entities and attributes
> contain important data.
>
> 3- Some CRM users are currently using CRM through the web interface,
> however, the majority of our users (Specially those that travel a lot) are
> using CRM through "CRM Laptop Client for Outlook" so that they can use
> their
> CRM Offline or Online. Currently they are using Outlook 2003-SP2 deployed
> on
> Windows-XP-SP2.
> What should we do with these clients. Should we upgrade their environment
> Windows Vista with Office 2007 ? Or What?
>
> Thanks in advance

0
alexpan (3)
2/27/2008 11:08:39 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your answers and i would to ask whether it is possibile to
upgrade CRM server 3.0 to 4.0 without having to upgrade the outlook
clients (Online & Offline) as that what we were told on the training
course a couple weeks ago. However, one of my colleagues who tried it,
was not able to do it and the user kept getting an error message �There
was a problem with the CRM AddIn�.�. Another consultancy also saying
that it�s not possible to upgrade the server without upgrading the
outlook client as they are running CRM 3.0 and wanting to upgrade to CRM
4.0 too.

I�m currently working with a client which has about 40 users on laptops
all over the country and I�m a bit concerned to whether this upgrade
will be possible to do or not?!!

Any information, links or articles would highly be appreciated

Thank you.

--

Kamal Hitari
MBSS, MCNPS, MCTS

Alexander Panov [MSFT] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here are my answers to your questions:
>
> 1. In order to migrate to new server you will need: - Back up you CRM
> database and metabase - Restore them on new machine with only Windows
> and SQL on it (NO CRM installed) - Use Redeployment Tool (found on
> your Server install CD) to map you DB to AD correctly on the new
> machine (there's a documentation on how to do it right there as well,
> and as long as you're not moving to new AD it'll be very easy
> process). - Install CRM 3.0 using EXISTING database on this new
> server - Upgrade it to CRM 4.0 as usual
>
> 2.  Entity and attribute customizations will upgrade just fine. As
> for the scripts - it will depend on whether they were only using
> supported features of CRM 3.0 or were trying to manipulate IE DOM
> directly. In second case they most likely will not work (hence
> unsupported customization)
>
> 3. Outlook 2003 and XP are fine, CRM 3.0 clients will get upgrade to
> 4.0. Upgrade to latest service pack is usually required, but I
> suppose that shouldn't be an issue.

0
khitari (47)
3/14/2008 10:50:14 AM

Alexander Panov [MSFT] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Here are my answers to your questions:
>
> 1. In order to migrate to new server you will need: - Back up you CRM
> database and metabase - Restore them on new machine with only Windows
> and SQL on it (NO CRM installed) - Use Redeployment Tool (found on
> your Server install CD) to map you DB to AD correctly on the new
> machine (there's a documentation on how to do it right there as well,
> and as long as you're not moving to new AD it'll be very easy
> process). - Install CRM 3.0 using EXISTING database on this new
> server - Upgrade it to CRM 4.0 as usual
>
> 2.  Entity and attribute customizations will upgrade just fine. As
> for the scripts - it will depend on whether they were only using
> supported features of CRM 3.0 or were trying to manipulate IE DOM
> directly. In second case they most likely will not work (hence
> unsupported customization)
>
> 3. Outlook 2003 and XP are fine, CRM 3.0 clients will get upgrade to
> 4.0. Upgrade to latest service pack is usually required, but I
> suppose that shouldn't be an issue.

0
khitari (47)

CRM 3.0 Implementation

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

help need with VC 6.0 IDE and mfc

How do I check port assignments on a Exchange server
Hi, I have a client who has access to the internet through my network. The client would like to create a pop session so that he can download his e-mails from Yahoo to Outlook. My problem is that when I configure his Outlook client to retrieve mail I get an error that it cannot connect. I believe this is a port identification issue. Can anyone tell me how to check what port Exchange is using to send and retrieve mail? On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:36:02 -0700, awd <awd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I have a client who has access to the internet through my network. ...

Vlookup returns "0"

Relay from unstruted server

crm 3.0 error 03-01-06

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Relay Servers?

Microsoft Exchange Server

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

wanted to design a 4 sided A5 leaflet.
Are there any templates available to download? There are pre-designed leaflets within Publisher. You might think about 4-sided... Do you mean a booklet fold? There are templates here http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/default.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Mystic" <Mystic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14C3F9CB-5AA9-4B17-9E8E-1E5DD93227CD@microsoft.com... > Are there any templates available to download? ...

CRM 3.0 Login Problems

Showing 3:54PM instead of 3:54:03PM

Unable to sort on customer CRM 4.0

Hyperlink problem #3