Migrate CRM 4.0 instance to another server on a different domain

Hello,

What would be the best way to migrate our current CRM database to another
server on a different domain but still within the same forest?

 We initially had intended on implementing our CRM at our off-site
datacenter but due to some DNS/Network issues we weren't able to add users
across different domains. Our deadline was fast approaching so we setup a
server locally. Now that we have the issue resolved at our datacenter, we are
ready to move the local database to the datacenter. What is involved with
this process and what would be the best way to do this? Thank you very much
for time.

 I should also add that we have a server dedicated for the CRM and another
for SQL, the setup is identical for our local and offsite location. we are
running CRM 4.0 Enterprise with SQL 2005. I have read the the section on
"Import Organization" in the Help of the deployment manager and am wondering
if it is that easy? Then there is a "Note" that says " You cannot import a
database that is already deployed."

crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

You use the Import Organisation option in the deployment manager.

The basic steps are.
1. Backup the CRM organisation database in CRM
2. Restore this database to the new SQL server.
3. Install CRM server with a temporary organisation with a different name to
your live organisation
4. In the Deployment Manage select Import Organisation, and point to you
restored SQL database.

This will then import the organisation, allowing you to Map users to new
users in the new domain.

There is one issue around workflows when doing this. Have a look at the
following KB article.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950680/en-us

Hope this is of some help

Rob

"Johnston007" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What would be the best way to migrate our current CRM database to another
> server on a different domain but still within the same forest?
>
>  We initially had intended on implementing our CRM at our off-site
> datacenter but due to some DNS/Network issues we weren't able to add users
> across different domains. Our deadline was fast approaching so we setup a
> server locally. Now that we have the issue resolved at our datacenter, we are
> ready to move the local database to the datacenter. What is involved with
> this process and what would be the best way to do this? Thank you very much
> for time.
>
>  I should also add that we have a server dedicated for the CRM and another
> for SQL, the setup is identical for our local and offsite location. we are
> running CRM 4.0 Enterprise with SQL 2005. I have read the the section on
> "Import Organization" in the Help of the deployment manager and am wondering
> if it is that easy? Then there is a "Note" that says " You cannot import a
> database that is already deployed."

0
RobMottram (202)

PUBLIC CONTACTS #4
I created a publix Contact list for all my users and gave them rights to create but not delet.Also I gave myself fun right . When we creat a new contact and try to save it I get an error: "the item could not be saved to this folder. The folder has been deleted or moved, or you do not have permission. Do you want to save a copy of it in the default folder for the item?" Can anyone help me with this proble ? Thank you!! Mike wrote: > I created a publix Contact list for all my users and gave them rights to > create but not delet.Also I gave myself fun right . > When we...

Disaster Recovery for CRM 1.2
Does anyone have any documentation on the steps to backing up CRM 1.2? We want to make sure we are backing CRM 1.2 up correctly if the server should go down. We were unable to find any documentation on Microsofts website for a step by step backup solution. Right now we are just backing the CRM databases using the scheduler in SQL; is this ALL that is required and if so do we backup ALL of the databases or just certain ones? The owners of the company want to make sure we can restore ALL of the data if needed. -- Thank You, Troy Hi Troy Microsoft have included details of backing...

illegal operation #4
Does anybody know the reason why I get the following message when I'm closing outlook express? "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor" The details of the message are as follows: MSIMN caused an invalid page fault in module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff9db61. Registers: EAX=c00309c4 CS=017f EIP=bff9db61 EFLGS=00010216 EBX=0335fe28 SS=0187 ESP=0331ff18 EBP=033201b4 ECX=00000000 DS=0187 ESI=00000000 FS=64bf EDX=bff76855 ES=0187 EDI=bff79198 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: 53 8b 15 e4 9c fc bf 56 89 4d e4...

how do you place a spreadsheet(s) inside another spreadsheet
I am trying to setup a workbook with spreadsheets that contain other spreadsheets. Does excel allow this? if yes, how can I do it. Hi not 100% sure what you're after here ... a workbook can contain multiple worksheets. Each worksheet contains a grid of cells 256 columns wide & 65536 rows deep. This basic structure of excel can not be altered. Please post back with additional details on what you're trying to achieve and we might be able to suggest a solution. Cheers JulieD "ucastores" <ucastores@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DDE44C32-...

Outlook Notes #4
How do you change the look of Notes from full-screen to a smaller size. There are no drag handles or "top right hand corner" options. Sounds like you dragged it too big or maximized it. Can you double-click the blue bar at the top? <-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-> Hope this helps! Anne Troy (better known as Dreamboat) Author: Dreamboat on Word Email: Dreamboat*at*Piersontech.com Web: www.TheOfficeExperts.com "David" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:170d701c420ee$0960a350$a001280a@...

Password Protection #4
I have a password protected sheet. For one of the columns, I have a validation rule and have a list of values that the column can take. I put a password for the sheet and now no can change the sheet except for the column where I have the validation rule. When I click on that column, the small arrow appears and the drop down box appears and I can select a different value and change the cell. All other columns are locked. Cant we protect a column that has a validation rule with a "List" as option? Not that I'm aware. But doesn't the Data|Validation provide the sa...

Passing data from one form to another

Insert an autofiltered range into another tab
I'm am having an issue when trying to insert a range from an autofilter on one sheet to another. The range has to be inserted above rows that have data in them. When I use the insert.shift:xldown, it only moves down the first column. TIA, Sub B_CreateTabs() Dim rngE As Range Dim lngLastRow As Long Dim mgrval, lobval, shtval As String mgrval = "myself" lobval = "dept" shtval = mgrval & "-" & lobval Windows("Mybook.xls").Activate Sheets(shtval).Select Sheets(shtval).Copy After:=Workbooks("Mybook.xls&quo...

Printing Multiple Copies #4
Hi all - I am using Vista Business and Publisher 2007 from the Office 2007 Small Business package. No matter what type of publication or template I use I can only print single copies. Most recently I tried to print 30 copies of a single page flyer and had to do it a single copy at a time. If I go to File|Print and set the number of copies to 30, I still get a single copy only. Does anyone have any thoughts? Thanks -- Andrew Aitchison (amhsn@nospam.sympatico.ca) Is your printer driver current? What is the default in the printing preferences in the control panel printer folder? ...

I get COMException while exporting chart on IIS 6.0.
I have this code that works perfectly on my development machine when I deployed it at customer site it gets exception. Here is the error and my code: thanks error ========== Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Exception from HRESULT: 0x800A03EC. Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the c...

CRM 4.0 Outlook RPC pver http
hi, A customer already has SBS with CRM server running. Some employees have Outlook configured using RPC over http. These users can use CRM using the web client and need access thru outlook. Is RPC over http supported in CRM 4.0 ? What are the issues involved in getting Outlook to work with CRM 4.0 ? I am yet to review the implementation guide for this situation, any other blog or guide I need to refer ? Thanks in advance. On Aug 14, 1:53=A0am, ShawnK <Sha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > hi, > > A customer already has SBS with CRM server running. Some employees...

Assign values for one column to another.
Hi I have in column T certain numbers and texts that that I require to assign a value to as below, in the adjacent column. Again any pointers would be much appreciated. Kind Regards Celticshadow T U 1 1 2 2 3 3 4 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 8 8 9 9 0 10 F 10 UR 10 U 10 R 10 S 10 L 10 P 10 PU 10 BD 10 D 10 Well, imagine that two-column table occupies cells Y1:Z20. Put this formula in U1: =3DVLOOKUP(T1,Y$1,Z$20,2,0) and copy down. Hope this helps. Pete On Oct 14, 4:26=A0pm, Celticshadow <Celticsha...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi > >...

Ho to make one field required based on critera of another field?
I'm creating a form and need to make the "comments" field required if the "code" field is =>20. I appreciate suggestions! Deadline Monster is lurking! User enters the job processing endcode value (numeric) into the "code" field. If the endcode is =>20, comments are required. (P.S. I don't know VB) Thanks! Star You would put your validation code in the Form's BeforeUpdate event. If Me.EndCode >19 Then If Len(Me.Comments & "") = 0 Then MsgBox "Comments are required" Cancel = True End If End If ...

http://crm/Reports vs. http://crm/Reportserver
I have several MS CRM reports residing on a SQL Server 2005 that were migrated from 3.0. I can access the reports via the following url: http://crm/Reports then clicking the folder and opening up a report. However, When I try and use http://crm/Reportserver and click on the reports I see the same folder and reports but I get an error message (below) and cannot open any reports? I believe this to be a SRS issue. In the following the GUID appears to be the link and the reports are in a 4.0 folder. Wednesday, April 02, 2008 11:38 AM 23166 {5a8355f1-e300- dd11-a47f-001aa03779ca} ...

Project Server
I work with one resource pool for all my projects. I am feeling that my computer is becoming "heavy" to work with. Project Server would help to make faster? Is there any advantage if I work with Project Server only on my computer, specially if I need to make all kinds of reports? Txs, Silene Hi, IMHO, in short: No on all counts. -- Jan De Messemaeker Microsoft Project Most Valuable Professional +32 495 300 620 For availability check: http://users.online.be/prom-ade/Calendar.pdf "Silene" <sileneev@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:D425...

Covert v. 2000 -> v. 2.0

Cells Fill Automatically on Another Workbook
I've created what we'll call a seed worksheet to be used over and over for different clients. I have linked its cells to another workbook. As the originating seed worksheet directs its cell data to a specific cell on another workbook, how can I accomplish the workbook data not being overwritten but the new incoming data default to the next unused cell in the column? i.e. If the original seed worksheet cell B1 links to the worksheet cell A1, I would like the next instance of creating a new customer and his B1 information on his use of the seed worksheet to populate onto th...

mail server
Is Exchange an absolute must? Can I do without it? Can any other mail server do? Thank you. Hi Bill, Exchange is not required. There are 3 scenario's: 1) Exchange -> email can be sent and received in CRM 2) SMTP -> email can be sent from CRM but not received 3) Nothing -> email cannot be used from CRM. For more info http://blogs.msdn.com/midatlanticcrm/archive/2006/01/05/Running_Microsoft_CRM_without_Exchange_Server.aspx Hope this helps, -- Ronald Lemmen Avanade Netherlands http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/ "bill tie" wrote: > > Is Exchange an abso...

Two different hyperlink colors
I have created a publisher document that I am using as email stationary. I have created some blue buttons that I have put hyperlinks on. I want the hyperlinks to not show up as blue on the buttons, so I changed the color scheme so they show as white. However, in the main body of my email, there are also a few hyperlinks. Because I've changed the color scheme, these hyperlinks are also showing up as white. I've tried just highlighting them and changing the font to black but that does not work. Is there anyway to change the hyperlink color in the body of my email? Than...

O.T. FYI BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express for Free for SBS2008
BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express for Free http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/business/server/express/ Connect two people via BlackBerry� Smartphone's and ideas get bigger. Progress happens faster. Answers get smarter. So imagine what happens when you give a business the freedom to connect all its employees. BlackBerry� Enterprise Server Express enables businesses of any size to quickly and easily get started with the BlackBerry solution. It provides advanced BlackBerry Smartphone features with no additional software or user license fees, and works with any Internet-...