Migrate Contact Address Data from CRM 1.2 to 3.0

We are upgrading from CRM 1.2 to CRM 3.0.  In order to migrate the existing
data, we are using the CRM web services (in "../crmservice.asmx").  CRM 1.2
stores the contact data in the ContactBase table; I create a data source,
create an instance of the "contact" object from the CRM web service, set each
of the contact properties from the field values in the DataRows of the
DataSet source, and then use the contact object's Create() method to add each
contact to the CRM 3.0 database -- all of this works very well.

However, CRM 1.2 stores the contact's address data in the
"CustomerAddressBase" table.  CRM 1.2 allows you to create numerous addresses
for each contact; we have some contact's who have four different addresses
stored in the CRM 1.2 system.  I tried to use the CustomerAddress object that
is availabe in CRM 3.0 to migrate each of the addresses from the CRM 1.2
database.  After I create a new contact, I retrieve the address fro the
contact from the CRM 1.2 table, then loop through the addresses, create new
instances the CustomerAddress object, set each of its properties, and then
call the Create() method.  However, I always get an error that says "server
was unable to process request".  This seems very ambiguous.  I catch the
error and I have reviewed each of the exception attributes (i.e., InnerXML),
but it does not provide me with meaningful information.
After I create each contact (actually, I am only ever able to create the
first one, because I subsequently get the error when I try to create its
address), I am able to get the address data for the contact (I can see the
values when I step through my code), so that part seems fine.

Can anyone help me?

Furthermore, I did see that the contact object itself has properties that
are address-related, but it has only two sets of these address properties
(i.e., "address1_city" and "address2_city"), so I am very confused by these
attributes.  Does this mean that you can no longer exceed two addresses per
contact (seems unlikely)?  If not, then what are they for?  Anyway, when I
got sufficiently frustrated with the CustomerAddress object I decided to try
to set the address-related properties of the contact object itself to see
what would happen.  When I do this, the CRM 3.0 system accepts & stores only
one address per contact, but it does not save the second address (of course,
I cannot even attempt to store the third or fourth addresses, when they
exist, since there are only two sets of address-related properties).  There
is a button on the CRM 3.0 contact form called "More Addresses", but none of
the second addresses appear.

Since CRM 3.0 seems to store one address in the first set of contact object
address-related properties, but nothing in the second set, I am completely
confused.  Does CRM 3.0 use the contact object properties to handle the first
address only (or maybe the first & second) and then use a different object to
handle the third, fourth, fifth, etc. addresses?  I certainly hope not, but
regardless, I need to understand how this works and what I am need to do to
migrate this data.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Thanks.

0
dd12345 (1)
5/22/2006 3:29:01 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

v3.0 and v1.2 handle addresses in the exact same manner.  The address1_ &
address2_ address values onthe Contact & Account are actually stored in the
CustomerAddress tables as address numbers 1 & 2.  Anything from the "More
Addresses" tab is stored with address numbers 3+.

Why aren't you letting CRM upgrade the data fro you?  The installation will
upgrade all your data and the assocaited customizations tot he new DB schema
and it will be a lot more reliable.  You are going down an approach that is
going to require a lot of testing and validation that is not needed.

--

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

"dd12345" <dd12345@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

Matt
5/22/2006 7:00:35 PM
In CRM 1.2, we only used the functionality related to the Contacts (we did
not use the Workflow, Activities, etc.), so we thought it would be fairly
simple to migrate the data with the web services.  The CRM web services are
made available to be used by developers (as part of the SDK), so we thought
it was perfectly fine to use them.  We would prefer to migrate the data, add
some customizations to the CRM 3.0 environment, test everything, and then
make it available to our users.  Also, it is very possible that we may want
to add additional contacts to the CRM 3.0 database in the future from other
data sources; we have some people in our company who have their own list of
contacts, some for more specialized functions, and we will probably want to
move this data into the CRM 3.0 environment at some point in the future.  It
is also possible, given the nature of our business, that we could have other
contact data sources made available to us in the future that we would also
want to import into the CRM 3.0 system (these data sources could be SQL
Server, Access, GoldMine, or others).  Therefore, we would like to have
functionality ready that we know can handle these situations.

At this point, the addresses for the contacts is the only piece that we do
not have working.  Please let me know if you know how to use the web services
to migrate the contact address data, or if you know anyone else who might
have the answer.  Thanks.

"Matt Parks" wrote:

> [...]
> I cannot even attempt to store the third or fourth addresses, when they
> exist, since there are only two sets of address-related properties).  There
> is a button on the CRM 3.0 contact form called "More Addresses", but none of
> the second addresses appear.
>
> Since CRM 3.0 seems to store one address in the first set of contact object
> address-related properties, but nothing in the second set, I am completely
> confused.  Does CRM 3.0 use the contact object properties to handle the
> first
> address only (or maybe the first & second) and then use a different object
> handle the third, fourth, fifth, etc. addresses?  I certainly hope not, but
> regardless, I need to understand how this works and what I am need to do to
> migrate this data.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Have you looked at the CustomerAddress object in the SDK?

I still think you are heading down the wrong path.  While the need to have
something for future use is admirable, you are adding complexity to your
upgrade process that is not needed.  You can still work on developing an
import function for data that can be used for future loads.  There is also
an ability to import Contacts directly via the application (though it might
not provide all the features you need).

--

"Matt Parks" wrote:

> [...]
> exist, since there are only two sets of address-related properties).
> There
> is a button on the CRM 3.0 contact form called "More Addresses", but none
> of
> the second addresses appear.
>
> Since CRM 3.0 seems to store one address in the first set of contact
> object
> address-related properties, but nothing in the second set, I am completely
> confused.  Does CRM 3.0 use the contact object properties to handle the
> first
> address only (or maybe the first & second) and then use a different object
> handle the third, fourth, fifth, etc. addresses?  I certainly hope not,
> but
> regardless, I need to understand how this works and what I am need to do
> migrate this data.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

0
Matt

Lookup based on criteria in 2 columns

Address book updating...

MS Money 95 data files

Rollup 2 and Office 2007

Microsoft POS #2

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

data input in text box

Copy entire row where CellValue=0

Looking for XPathReader 1.1
Where is XPathReader 1.1 available for download? I have 1.0 and found the 2005 MS announcement for 1.1 but the link was for godotnet which no longer exists. Nothing shows up in a search at the MS download center or Google. Bill ...

pop3 #3
My outlook express hasnt been working since I got my new Dell computer. It says that the "POP3" isnt connected so i cant receive or send e-mail!!! HELP!! How do i fix this problem? I've tried calling Dell and Microsoft and have waited hours on the phone and have not gotten any assistance! Who is your ISP/mail host? Seems like you might want to contact them for support. I presume you can get to the Internet just fine.... rose wrote: > My outlook express hasnt been working since I got my new > Dell computer. It says that the "POP3" isnt connected so > i ca...

Addressing within Exchange 2003

Sorting Data #5

Linker Error after upgrade from VC7.1

hyperlinking email addresses