Mass e-mail with templates (email type of mail merge)

Hello all,

I have seen CRM's ability to create a e-mail template that
can incorporate fields from CRM records.  However when you
want to send the e-mail to a list of recipients, the
fields are populated with only one of the records in the
list, and the same e-mail is then sent to all of the
contacts.  This seems counter-intuitive.

Isn't there a way to have CRM do a traditional mail merge
type of operation that mimics the merge feature in word?
Basically what I want to be able to do is create a
template, and given a list of contacts etc. send an
individualized email to each one of the contacts
separately.  Some other CRM packages can do this, so it's
not inconceivable that CRM can also, and that I've just
missed something.

Anybody have any ideas??

Thanks.
0
Nish
10/6/2004 6:40:27 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Nish -

If I understand your question, Microsoft CRM will fully support your needs.
Once you create your email template (including CRM merged fields) you can
then use, views, search or advanced search to identify the email receipients.
 You can then go to the actions menu and choose send direct email and select
your email template.  This will send a customized email to all of your
selected contacts.  In addition, you will have the ability to determine the
sender email address so that the emails do not have to come from the user
sending the messages.

I hope that this helps.

- Ryan

"Nish Patel" wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have seen CRM's ability to create a e-mail template that
> can incorporate fields from CRM records.  However when you
> want to send the e-mail to a list of recipients, the
> fields are populated with only one of the records in the
> list, and the same e-mail is then sent to all of the
> contacts.  This seems counter-intuitive.
>
> Isn't there a way to have CRM do a traditional mail merge
> type of operation that mimics the merge feature in word?
> Basically what I want to be able to do is create a
> template, and given a list of contacts etc. send an
> individualized email to each one of the contacts
> separately.  Some other CRM packages can do this, so it's
> not inconceivable that CRM can also, and that I've just
> missed something.
>
> Anybody have any ideas??
>
> Thanks.

Hi, thanks for your response.

I understand your instructions, however, under the actions
menu, "Send Direct Email" is not one of the options.  The
user has all available permissions in their security
role.  Please advise.

Thanks,
Nish Patel.

0
Nish
10/12/2004 1:51:21 PM
Send direct email is available from within the browser version; if you are
using the SFO client, your option is Mail Merge. Unfortunately you have to go
into each one for the different functionality.

"Nish Patel" wrote:

> Hi, thanks for your response.
>
> I understand your instructions, however, under the actions
> menu, "Send Direct Email" is not one of the options.  The
> user has all available permissions in their security
> role.  Please advise.
>
> Thanks,
> Nish Patel.

Some Contacts List messages going into Junk Mail folder
My wife and I use the same computer, and we have our separate email addresses set up in WLM. We also share the Contacts folder. Starting about a month or two ago, many of the messages from my wife's friends, who are in our Contacts folder, have been going repeatedly into her Junk Mail folder. Even clicking of the Not Junk option has failed to stem this flow. I have not had this experience with my email messages. What might we be missing in our setup? Gordon Biggar Hotmail type accounts for both email addresses ? - Hotmail.com, Live.com, Msn.com *Note: All Hotmai...

Junk Mail and Detect and Repair wont work in Office 2003
I am trying to update the Outlook Junk Mail filters, KB914454 it wont let me in Office 2003 it continually shows the shield icon saying I have an update to complete when I do it fails, tried to repair, that fails too, should I try install even tho my software or CD is Office 2003 and I have SP2 on the computer already or is there a registry fix, do I really need Junk Mail, how can I stop this update from happening, I use AVG and it works fine ...

Send/Receive doesn't get Exchange 2000 mail
Outlook 2002 Send/Receive does not get mail from the Exchange server as expected. If you open a previous message the mail is properly retrieved from the Exchange 2000 server. Using Outlook 2003 Send/Receive works as expected. It's a problem with your NAT router and UDP: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q305572 -- "Gene" <gglenn@precisionimages.com> wrote in message news:0a9601c35dbc$0075a290$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Outlook 2002 Send/Receive does not get mail from the > Exchange server as expected. If you open a previous > message the ...

Mail go's to Badmail "This message does not have any recipients"
The problem I have is that email is being placed in the bad mail folder without an NDR. This email is send by our backup software ever night. When I check in the Bad mail dir the error listed is "This message does not have any recipients" Anyone have any ideas? ...

Will my sent e-mails be kept in the web server e-mail?
Hello, I am interested in using Windows Mail but first I would like to make sure that all the e-mails I send using Windows Live will be saved both in Windows Live and the website version of each of the e-mail accounts I will add. I would like to know if the same applies for the e-mails I receive. Thanking you in advance. Sincerely yours, Orabidreamer Note that they type of account POP, IMAP, or HTTP will make a difference. Check the box on each account setup that says, "Leave a copy on the server" (Advanced tab). If you have accounts that do not show that t...

how to update publications based on template
Hi 1. I have a template. 2. I create a new page based on the template. 3. I make the design i want and save. All ok. 4. Now i make changes in the template. How can I update changes done in the template in all pages/publications using this template(I assume the template in "linked" with pages/publications" Ulrik You cannot do this in Publisher. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Ulrik �stergaard" <Ulrik �stergaard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1CC5FEE9-E7FF-4107-AF99-...

Replying to Individual in Newsgroup using Outlook, with O.E. as NG reader
I'm using Outlook 2000 sp1 for E-mailing. It's set-up to use Outlook Express 6 as the newsgroup reader (whilst calling itself Outlook Newsreader). I recently wanted to reply to an individual in a thread. Everything seemed to go okay until I checked the 'Sent Items' of Outlook. There was an E-mail to the individual, but none of the text that I'd included was there, only the original newsgroup message. Does anybody know what's going on, how to fix it, or has anybody got any suggestions ? Thanks in Advance Duncan Anderson O/S = Win X/P home sp1 I think this happens be...

new emails
When I start a new email the text looks very small and hard to read but when I look at it in my sent folder it looks fine.... why? Have you checked your zoom level already? See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/95 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Mike Bunting" <Mike Bunting@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:228BBE80-21D2-4ADF-9048-CFB6C9DA3E9...

Internet mail con Exchange 5.5
Buenas : Quisiera hacerles una consulta: Tengo un servidor de correo Exchange 5.5 que maneja buzones internos que tengo la opci=F3n de crear cuando creo un usuario del dominio (Dominio NT 4). Tengo tambien cuentas de mail externas POP3, las cuales configuro manualmente en cada PC que lo requiera (No todas tienen mail externo).Es decir el usuario descarga los mails externos directamente del pop3 de mi ISP , pero quedan guardados en el buzon de Exchange. La consulta es si es posible hacer que el exchange configure por usuario esas cuentas externas a las cuentas que yo le indique, sin tener la n...

My forms will not work with my email when I click submit.
Sending Form Data via E-mail, it will open up my Email but, the data is NOT contained in the body of the e-mail message. The e-mail address I entered for the ACTION attribute shows up. BUT NOT DATA IS CONTAINED IN THE BODY. ***************************** <FORM METHOD=POST ENCTYPE="text/plain" ACTION="pamjck@juno.com"> Name: <INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="name"> <INPUT TYPE="submit" VALUE="submit button"> ******************************** why is my Email NOT working anymore and adding the data to the body of the e-mail ...

Problem with Outlook e-mail after installing Microsoft Publisher
I have not been able to send e-mails from Outlook after installing Microsoft Publisher. Any suggestions on how to remedy this sotuation? Are you getting an error? Is Outlook working okay through other programs? The Send This Page as Message command is not available when you click Send E-mail on the File menu in Publisher 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884425 -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Techblues" <Techblues@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCCE2A75-8...

Promoting and Outlook Email and Creating Contact
After reading an Email in Outlook I promote it to CRM. The author of the Email is not a CRM contact so their name appears in red. Clicking on the authors name, CRM gives the option of reconciling to another contact or creating a new contact record. When I select a new contact record, why doesn't CRM populate the name and Email address just like when you create a contact from an Email in Outlook? Why should I have to go back and look up the Email address from the Email itself to place in the CRM Contact record? I'd post that as a suggestion for future product enhancements. Ho...

Watch/Ignore in email
What does the watch/ignore option mean in the email section? What does it mean when it says "this message is being watched" at the top of an email? Who is watching? If you're in outlook express - reading newsgroups for example - you can click the space underneath the eyeglasses and level with your message. this will change the colour to red (it does on mine). you can then sort your messages by clicking the eyeglasses at the top and the messages will be sorted showing the marked ones at the top of the page. This is very useful when you post to a newsgroup and don't want t...

Outlook 2003 Hangs on download of email
Upgraded to Office 2003 and since installing, junkmail mail hangs up on the server. I am forced to go to the ISP and delete the mail from that location. I have tried with the junkmail filter both on and off. Sometimes it hangs and just sends multiple copies of other messages that download prior to it getting to the offending junkmail. I had no problem with the Office XP version of Outlook. Comcast offers no assistance; and to top it off, the Microsoft support site does not recognize the product ID from my new office product. Any ideas out there? Thanks, Doug ...

Unable to attach an attachment using mail merge
Anyone know how to do an Outlook mail merge and have it sent an attachment to all merged recipents? I put the attachment into the basic outlook e_mail message and when it merges it strips off the attachment. I am using Word as the E-Mail editor and Outlook 2002 SP2 and merging contacts directly from an Outlook Contact folder. ...

moving all incoming mail to deleted items folder
We are trying to setup students who graduate from our school so that any incoming mail will be forwarded to a new address and if they have not setup a forwarding address, their incoming mail will be deleted with an out of office reply sent to the sender indicating that the user is no longer a student and has not setup forwarding. Graduated students would also not have OWA enabled as well. The one thing that seems hard to do is to create a rule that will move all incoming mail to the deleted items folder. Does anyone know of how to have all incoming mail subject to a rule to move to deleted ...

SP3 Problem
Ever since I installed SP3 for Office XP, I have been getting the following error - "A program is trying to access email addresses you have stored in Outlook. Do you want to allow this?" I get this error only when I use Word as my email editor. Hence what is happening is that Outlook thinks that Word is a rogue program trying to send unauthorized emails. My question is, is there a way to prevent this - a whitelist of programs for example? Ajit Disable the PDFMaker addin. (See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2002sp3.htm#problems for details on how to do this.) "Aj...

Exchange Email Router CRM Server 2003 & Exchange 2000
Hi NG, I´ve installed CRM1.2 on Win Server 2003 - everythings OK - afterwards I installed the Email Router and followed the steps in IG. The problem now is that I could send mails but incoming mails are not in support queue or in CRM system anyway (answers to a crm mail guid included!) Is it possible to use Server 2003 and Exchange 2000? Thanks and Regards, Bernd Michitsch Yes, they are supported. Where are you sending those messages from? The router will only capture mail that comes in via the SMTP gateway, so it must come from the outside. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ------...

World Cup 2010 Template
Has anyone done one yet Hi, Google it and you'll get a few hits but how about this link http://www.auditexcel.co.za/world_cup_spreadsheet.html Mike "George Brown" wrote: > Has anyone done one yet On Dec 5, 12:53=A0pm, Mike H <Mi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > > Google it and you'll get a few hits =A0but how about this link > > http://www.auditexcel.co.za/world_cup_spreadsheet.html > > Mike > > "George Brown" wrote: > > Has anyone done one yet http://delbosque54.blogspot.com/ ...

Sending an email to multiple contacts
As suggested by people on one of these newsgroups, I have abandoned Outlook's broken distribution list functionality to use this "Categorize" feature. So I now have my hundreds of individuals all categorized and I want to send an email to everyone in a certain category. I do not see any sign that this functionality is supported, in fact, it seems like Microsoft actually broke the functionality intentionally. I have created my email and have opened my contacts. I sorted based upon category, selected the items in the category and dragged those items to the "To.....

Why receive duplicated copies of every email?
Hi there, I have an Exchange 2003 server. Users are using Outlook 2003. There is one issue with one user's account. When he sends out emails from his Outlook 2003, some recipients sometimes receive two copies of every email. It doesn't always happen, but the majority. He is sending to recipients individually, not any distribution group. If I look at the Massage Tracking from the System Manager, it does show those emails are delivered twice. Any idea would be greatly appreciated, Ross Are they delegates for anyone else on the DL? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replie...

Outlook 2007 Delegate not receiving invite emails
One of my assistants is not always receiving meeting invites (on behalf of) from our clients even though the executive she supports has her as a delegate. They are both using Outlook 2007 on a 2007 exchange server. Any ideas or others having this trouble? ...

Can't open some mail after upgrade
Hello.. We upgraded our server to Exchange 2003. After the upgrade our clients using Windows 2000 and Outlook 2000 do not seem to be able to open mail that has been forwarded more than once and contains attachments. I can forward the same piece of mail to someone using an Outlook 2003 client and they can open it, but the client using Outlook 2000 cannot view the mail, preview the mail, forward the mail or even see or save the attacment. The error is: "Can't open this item. Could not complet the operation because the service provider does not support it." Any help...

Deleting Mail #2
This problem seems to be random over our network. We are running Windows Server 2000 with Outlook 2002. Some users are getting a notification that they have mail and when they check, there is nothing in their inbox. The new mail has automatically gone to the deleted items folder. It doesn't do it with all mail for that particular user or do all the users on the network experience this problem. There are no rules set up to do this. Has anyone else have this problem. If you have a suggestion please respond to my e-mail address DKimball@puc.nh.gov Thanks I have Outlook 2002 on...

merged document printing
How do I print multiple copies of a merged document in Publisher? Seems to only allow one copy of the document. No option is available as it is when printing a regular document. If anyone has an answer please email me at: linked4life@hotmail.com Thank you http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH062524751033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "linked4life" <linked4life@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1FC3E45B-B7F2-4F8D-AD4D-02154C8C399B@microsoft.com... > How do I print mult...