Manual Update of Product Table

Hi would it be possible to create a trigger to add/lessen 
a numeric field in the product table?
Here's the scenario I wanted, whenever I include a product 
in ORDER MANAGEMENT, I need to update some fields in the 
PRODUCT TABLE (ITEMONHAND), we need to make it appear 
similar to a simple inventory system wherein the product 
number (ItemOnHand) is updated whenever an order for a 
product is created.
I tried exploring if WorkFlow Manager allows the update, 
but among the objectas I tested, no MANUAL workflow could 
UPDATE the Product Object.. I was planning to use a 
trigger on a dummy field in the ORDER Object, so that once 
it is changed, an SQL Trigger would go directly to the 
PRODUCT Table and update the field of the corresponding 
product.
Questions: 
Can I do this scenario using only the CRM Customization 
Tools?
If I use SQL Triggers, will this void any support? or will 
this cause support issues?

Thanks =)

0
Mark
6/4/2004 12:43:53 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

3 Replies
775 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 36

I would recommend doing this with a post-callout. If you add a trigger to
the database you'll cause no end of grief for support if things break.
MS-CRM knows all about its database structures but knows nothing about
yours. If you add something the product may remove it without warning (no,
it's not actively looking for things that it doesn't like, it just doesn't
know to put things back in place during the customization process).

I'm thinking of doing a fairly in-depth callout write-up, would anyone be
interested, or has everyone figured it out on their own already?

"Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1818e01c449cd$02e93de0$a001280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi would it be possible to create a trigger to add/lessen
> a numeric field in the product table?
> Here's the scenario I wanted, whenever I include a product
> in ORDER MANAGEMENT, I need to update some fields in the
> PRODUCT TABLE (ITEMONHAND), we need to make it appear
> similar to a simple inventory system wherein the product
> number (ItemOnHand) is updated whenever an order for a
> product is created.
> I tried exploring if WorkFlow Manager allows the update,
> but among the objectas I tested, no MANUAL workflow could
> UPDATE the Product Object.. I was planning to use a
> trigger on a dummy field in the ORDER Object, so that once
> it is changed, an SQL Trigger would go directly to the
> PRODUCT Table and update the field of the corresponding
> product.
> Questions:
> Can I do this scenario using only the CRM Customization
> Tools?
> If I use SQL Triggers, will this void any support? or will
> this cause support issues?
>
> Thanks =)
>


0
Mj
6/9/2004 2:41:06 PM
Mike,

An in-depth Callout writeup would be nice.  The current one does a good job
getting going, but it doesn't go into enough depth.  It also doesn't explain
some of the main pain points (like making sure to use the interface GUID taht's
in the example).

We get a lot of posts on the board from people who have more than a little
trouble getting them to work.

Matt Parks

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 07:41:06 -0700, "Mj Miller"
<remove.this.mikemill@microsoft.com> wrote:

I would recommend doing this with a post-callout. If you add a trigger to
the database you'll cause no end of grief for support if things break.
MS-CRM knows all about its database structures but knows nothing about
yours. If you add something the product may remove it without warning (no,
it's not actively looking for things that it doesn't like, it just doesn't
know to put things back in place during the customization process).

I'm thinking of doing a fairly in-depth callout write-up, would anyone be
interested, or has everyone figured it out on their own already?

"Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1818e01c449cd$02e93de0$a001280a@phx.gbl...
> Hi would it be possible to create a trigger to add/lessen
> a numeric field in the product table?
> Here's the scenario I wanted, whenever I include a product
> in ORDER MANAGEMENT, I need to update some fields in the
> PRODUCT TABLE (ITEMONHAND), we need to make it appear
> similar to a simple inventory system wherein the product
> number (ItemOnHand) is updated whenever an order for a
> product is created.
> I tried exploring if WorkFlow Manager allows the update,
> but among the objectas I tested, no MANUAL workflow could
> UPDATE the Product Object.. I was planning to use a
> trigger on a dummy field in the ORDER Object, so that once
> it is changed, an SQL Trigger would go directly to the
> PRODUCT Table and update the field of the corresponding
> product.
> Questions:
> Can I do this scenario using only the CRM Customization
> Tools?
> If I use SQL Triggers, will this void any support? or will
> this cause support issues?
>
> Thanks =)
>


0
Matt
6/10/2004 4:24:45 PM
Mike

I think everyone on this group would appreciate more indepth information on
CRM.


"Matt Parks" <mattp65@RemoveToX_XYahoo.com> wrote in message
news:2n2hc0t130ai5jor0c655fek62djlfjffi@4ax.com...
> Mike,
>
> An in-depth Callout writeup would be nice.  The current one does a good
job
> getting going, but it doesn't go into enough depth.  It also doesn't
explain
> some of the main pain points (like making sure to use the interface GUID
taht's
> in the example).
>
> We get a lot of posts on the board from people who have more than a little
> trouble getting them to work.
>
> Matt Parks
>
> ----------------------------------------
> ----------------------------------------
> On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 07:41:06 -0700, "Mj Miller"
> <remove.this.mikemill@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> I would recommend doing this with a post-callout. If you add a trigger to
> the database you'll cause no end of grief for support if things break.
> MS-CRM knows all about its database structures but knows nothing about
> yours. If you add something the product may remove it without warning (no,
> it's not actively looking for things that it doesn't like, it just doesn't
> know to put things back in place during the customization process).
>
> I'm thinking of doing a fairly in-depth callout write-up, would anyone be
> interested, or has everyone figured it out on their own already?
>
> "Mark" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:1818e01c449cd$02e93de0$a001280a@phx.gbl...
> > Hi would it be possible to create a trigger to add/lessen
> > a numeric field in the product table?
> > Here's the scenario I wanted, whenever I include a product
> > in ORDER MANAGEMENT, I need to update some fields in the
> > PRODUCT TABLE (ITEMONHAND), we need to make it appear
> > similar to a simple inventory system wherein the product
> > number (ItemOnHand) is updated whenever an order for a
> > product is created.
> > I tried exploring if WorkFlow Manager allows the update,
> > but among the objectas I tested, no MANUAL workflow could
> > UPDATE the Product Object.. I was planning to use a
> > trigger on a dummy field in the ORDER Object, so that once
> > it is changed, an SQL Trigger would go directly to the
> > PRODUCT Table and update the field of the corresponding
> > product.
> > Questions:
> > Can I do this scenario using only the CRM Customization
> > Tools?
> > If I use SQL Triggers, will this void any support? or will
> > this cause support issues?
> >
> > Thanks =)
> >
>
>


0
John
6/11/2004 4:55:48 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Saving a new quote before adding new quote products?
Hi all When creating a new quote, it has to be saved before new quote products (existing or write-in) can be added. Is there no other way to complete the quote form and save it all together at the end? The existing "save-step" is not really end user friendly. Anyone knows something more about this issue? Have fun :-) iStephan Quote products have a foreign key pointing to the quote, so it's not possible to save them before the quote itself is saved. As CRM is a web application, it's also not possible to create the quote and all quote details in one call - at least it ...

Applying the Year End Update
I noticed that the documention for the Year-End Update indicates that you can apply the update prior to completing all of the payrolls for the year (but you have to apply it before creating the Year-End Wage file). Can anyone confirm that this is in fact true? Has anyone had any problems applying the update in advance? I seem to recall in the past having to wait until all payrolls were done for the year. Thanks. The update usually just deals with last-minute changes by the IRS, etc. for changing the forms or computations in the yearly compliance reporting. It is perfectl...

Tables to PDF
Hi there, I'm working with a table in Publisher at the moment & have formatted all my column / row gridlines to 0.25pt. However, when I convert to Adobe PDF, some of the lines appear much thicker than the others. Any Suggestions? Ian Have you tried printing the .pdf file? I've seen lines that look thicker but print just fine. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "ianp" <ianp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:402A32B6-8157-4D23-907A-9C437BD4FE35@microsoft.com... > Hi there, > > I'm working with a table in Publisher at...

How do I show summary totals from a pivot table on a bar chart
I created a pivot table which shows the both individual and grand totals based on the fields I selected. I then created a bar chart based on this pivot table. What I would like to do is show the grand totals as well as the individual totals. Is this possible, if so how do I do it? When I try this (link to the pivot table's summary total) I get an error saying not a valid function. The function line contains =GETPIVOTDATA("Personnel no.",'P2'!$A$3) "Jon Peltier" wrote: > Colleen - > > You can add textboxes to the chart, which are linked to works...

Service pack 3 year end update
Does anyone know of any issues with 2008 year end update which includes service pack 3??? ALso is there any docs out there that tell you what service pack 3 includes and what it updates, had a clients update done and now when the are posting they the error THE STORED PROCEDURE GLPBATCHCLEANUP RETURNED THE FOLLOWING RESULTS: DBMS O, GREAT PLAINS 20488, is this an issue with the update?? Help Thanks, Jim The installation guide for SP3 contains the fixes. I don't have information about the error you're experiencing. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Jim" wrote: > Does a...

GP 9.0 SP1 utility cannot update company--being updated by another client
I'm setting up a test envrionment for my great plains 9.0 + SP1 installation on a new VM. I installed 9.0 and SP1 and then launched the Microsoft dynamics GP utilities. I asked for all companies to be upgraded and it was processing the companies. This process was very slow so I let it go overnight (it did look like it was doing something as the gui was updating periodically). When I came back in the morning and remote desktoped into the VM server, I didn't see the utility up. So I launched the utlity again, and now I am told that some of the companies upgraded successfully and som...

Turn off windows updates
Our office uses a computer guy who has turned off all of windows updates. He said we dont need them. Can anyone confirm this. Thank you "Donna@Repco" <Donna@Repco@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DF4F981-39FC-428C-BCDA-586FCB8D1347@microsoft.com... > > Our office uses a computer guy who has turned off all of windows updates. > He said we dont need them. Can anyone confirm this. > > Thank you BWAHAHAHAHA!!! Has he tried to sell you a train yet? -- "Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fi...

pricing updates affect already shipped orders
In CRM 3.0 I'm seeing the Total Amount field on an order change when price list updates are done for items on an order. The affected orders have already been shipped so no changes should occur. The extended price on the Sales Order Detail is still correct and not affected by the pricing update. What causes this? Will using the Prices Locked check box fix this issue? Yes, invoice pricing has to be locked on an invoice if you don't want changes in the pricelist to affect it from the MS CRM 3.0 sdk: LockInvoicePricing: Locks the total price of products and services specified in th...

Sales transactions Tables activity
I have Great Plains 9.0 with Service Pack 3 and am looking for a quick explanation on Sales Transactions table entries. Is there any way someone can quickly go over what exactly happens on a Sales Order during the Sales Transaction process. From placing an order, to picking it, to fulfilling it, to invoicing and creating a back order. My issue is that we have moved from printing Pick Tickets at time of order entry, to having our Warehouse print the pick tickets once an hour. The problem is that some Pick tickets don't print, and we cannot determine why. The reps who have entered the o...

MS Access Copy record to another table based on a form input 10-08-07
Hello. I have 6 Tables, all with identical fields. I want to copy a record from one table into another table, which table depends on what table is selected in a form. So if the table names are One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, and the record that I want to copy and insert into another table has been selected by a query in a form. I want the form to direct where to insert the table. So if the form has table Two selected (from the drop down list) then it should insert the record into table Two. If the form has table Four selected then it should insert it into table Four. The table the record is...

Lost CD sleeve with product key
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I'm trying to install office:mac 2008 but i misplaced the sleeve (which has the product key label). I still have the box which has different codes on it but none of them are 25 characters. Where can I find my product key? "AleenK@officeformac.com" wrote: > I'm trying to install office:mac 2008 but i misplaced the sleeve (which has > the product key label). I still have the box which has different codes on it > but none of them are 25 characters. Where can I find my product key? There is some...

Windows Update (KB971644)
Hi, I have been attempting to install the Platform Update for Windows Vista Home Premium x32-based Systems (KB971644). The update downloads and then when the system is restarted, it performs 3 configuration steps. As soon as the 3rd step completes configuration, I get a message that configuration had errors and that it is reverting back. Does anyone know of a fix? Thanks, Heri. Hello Heri, What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? what other security software are you running, if any? [antivirus/anti-ma...

Bond price updates
Question for someone - I have a CD that yields 4.6%. The current value is > 100 (par value). When I look in my brokerage account, the $1000 bond is actually worth more than $1000 and when I enter the maturity date and coupon rate into Money, it's not picking up the true value of the CD - it just continually says it's worth $1,000. Is there any way to fix this correctly? Thanks, Jon You say it's a CD, then later refer to a $1000 bond. Bonds and CD's aren't the same thing. Which do you have? "Jonathan Held" <jsheld@hotmail.com> wrote in message news...

Pivot Tables
When a pivot table has 2 indices, the values of the first index ar left blank on the 2nd and subsequent lines of the 2nd index. Can thes index values be automatically duplicated? Thanks ANdrew Middleto -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Andrew, Send me your email address and I'll PM you a small add-in I put together to do this.. Cheers, Dave >-----Original Message----- >When a pivot table has 2 indices, the values of the first index are >left blank on the 2nd and subsequent lines of the 2nd index. Can these >index values be automatically duplicated?...

Table Import Error
Good Afternoon, My company has recently upgraded from 6.0 to 8.0. I am importing an .csv file and then printing a report. The import seems to be working correctly, what I mean is I receive a message saying it completed. However when I try to pull up the report I receive the following: TABLE IMPORT ERROR That's it no other information, no other users seem to be having this problem, just myself and I get this error on other reports as well, but they all seem to be custom or modified reports from modified or customized forms. Any suggestions? It sounds like your Forms and Reports d...

Ignore table formatting when importing data using OLEDB
I am using Excel 2010. I want to write a macro in a 'consolidate' XLSM file that will query another selected XLSM file and import data from one of the range names in that file, into the 'consolidate' file. When the import occurs, it formats the imported table using the default Excel 2010 table style (see screenshot), however i don't want to format the cells - i just want to import raw data and leave the cells formatted as they are in the 'consolidate' XLSM file. The PreserveFormatting property has no impact, as the damage is already done once the query is added. ...

showing repeating values in the rows of a pivot table
The default setting in pivot tables results in showing the repeating value of a row header in the first row only. Is it possible to allow the repeating value to populate all the cells to which it applies? Not while it's still a pivottable. I'll usually convert to values (or make a copy of that pivottable and convert that copy to values). Then I'll use techniques like those at Debra Dalgleish's site to fill those empty cells: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html kdschreck wrote: > > The default setting in pivot tables results in showing the repeating valu...

Check for Updates has been canceled
Hello, I just installed Office 2003 Standard Edition, and installed sp2 the install went fine. I had Office 2000 Pro install without Outlook 2000 Pro. When I got everything installed, I opened Outlook 2003 (installed This time) and it said I did not have a profile go to mail icon in control panel and create a profile for my email. I did that without any problems and Outlook 2003 sp2 works fine. My problem is when I try to go to Help > Check for Updates on Outlook's menu I get this window with this message. "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions on this comput...

VBA
I am running a make table query and the query does not run if the table is open. How can I programmatically check to see if table is open and close it if it is open? Thank you so much for helping. "Sue" <sea_099@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:bd7c8b2a-b7a4-4afc-9774-99cb33fed0da@m25g2000yqc.googlegroups.com... >I am running a make table query and the query does not run if the > table is open. How can I programmatically check to see if table is > open and close it if it is open? Thank you so much for helping. You say your question is about VBA and you ...

How to stop auto restart after update?
I have Windows set up to do automatic updates. Sometimes I will find that the computer has restarted itself, and is sitting there waiting for my password. I don't want this auto restart to occur. I don't see an option just for that. Do I need to disable auto update to prevent this? GC Chips wrote: > I have Windows set up to do automatic updates. > > Sometimes I will find that the computer has restarted itself, and > is sitting there waiting for my password. > > I don't want this auto restart to occur. I don't see an option just >...

Locating Pivot Table in VBA
I have a macro created in VBA that creates two Pivot Tables, one under the other. I works fine except I run into problems when the first table shows up with more rows than I expected when, in the VBA code, I set the table destination of the second table. Then the macro doesn't do well at all. I there a way I can set the table destination of the second table relative to the bottom of the first table? A statement something like this: (preceding stuff omitted).CreatePivotTable TableDestination:="[Workbookname.xls]SheetName!'Three rows below the table above" and so f...

Office 2004 SP2 Update Failure
I have tried everything I can find to get service pack 2 for Office 2004 to run on my G4 iMac: -Repaired permissions -Ran periodic daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance -Updated the pre-binding -Re-registered all Office products back to English using the Microsoft Language Register (suggested on macfixit.com) -Logged in as a different administrator-level user All attempts to update result in the SP not finding a "qualifying product" and the installer simply presents a "Quit" option. Very helpful! Any ideas? On 9/25/05 7:14 AM, in article 1127657674.138579.101080@f14g...

Upgrade from trial version to full product version
Although I purchased the full version of Microsoft Money 2005 and I have it documented through a passport account, the trial version keeps counting down the time. Finally today the trial time expired and now I do not have access to the program. What should I do? I do not want to pay again for a program i paid for only a couple of months ago. Any hints? -- J One: buy the CD next time. Sorry if that doesn't help much for this time. "Reader" <Reader@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FA090F15-B438-4864-91FD-E089BAC8D018@microsoft.com... > Any hints? ...

Link SQL Server Table to Access
Is there any way to create a link in Access to a SQL table without having the user manually create the DSN using the admin tools? My hope was they could access the sql table (view only) without manually creating the DSN. Thanks for your help. "db2nd" <db2nd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9A0E10A-3CB0-4F8B-8D1B-F4690B9D86B9@microsoft.com... > Is there any way to create a link in Access to a SQL table without having > the > user manually create the DSN using the admin tools? My hope was they > could > access the sql table (view only) ...

[Ann] Update to shell script used with Super Duper! in Snow Leopard
Entourage Help Blog: Update to shell script used with Super Duper! in Snow Leopard After updating to Snow Leopard, some Entourage users need to update the shell script provided in this article Backup Entourage with SuperDuper! to quit all Microsoft applications. Users are also getting an error when the script runs in Super Duper! that indicates the Adobe Unit Types.osax is causing the script to fail. Continue reading for more info and download links. <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2009/11/update_shell_script_sl.html> <http://tinyurl.com/ycl8eeu> -- Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac...