Hello,

have a question:

Is the Mail-Merge functionality in CRM 4.0 better than in 3.0? The
restricted field access for the Mail-Merge in CRM 3.0 is bothering me
a lot and I am thinking of updating if 4.0 is better in that area.

Any comments?

Thank you in advance!

Harald Battran
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Download the VPC and try it out

We don't know what your expectations are but all in all - the Outlook client
is much much better

"Harald Battran" <harald.battran@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> have a question:
>
> Is the Mail-Merge functionality in CRM 4.0 better than in 3.0? The
> restricted field access for the Mail-Merge in CRM 3.0 is bothering me
> a lot and I am thinking of updating if 4.0 is better in that area.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Harald Battran

0
p0911 (103)
3/22/2008 11:47:07 PM
Yes - mail merge is a good deal better - you can now merge to custom fields
in entities within CRM but still not to custom entities. Mail merge
templates are much better handled too - you create templates and upload them
direct into CRM either as personal or organisation wide templates. Finally
mail-merge can be run from either browser or outlook (unlike crm3 when it
was outlook only)

hope that helps

Roger

"Harald Battran" <harald.battran@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> have a question:
>
> Is the Mail-Merge functionality in CRM 4.0 better than in 3.0? The
> restricted field access for the Mail-Merge in CRM 3.0 is bothering me
> a lot and I am thinking of updating if 4.0 is better in that area.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Thank you in advance!
>
> Harald Battran

0
roger_id (11)
3/27/2008 5:57:04 PM
I'm quite certain you can do mail merge with custom entities so long as the
entity was created in 4.0.  If the entity was created in 3.0 and upgraded
mail merge will not be available.  If you need to do mail merge on a custom
entity that was upgraded from 3.0 you need to make a change to the
customization XML file.
you can learn about this modification on page 69 of the new 4.0 CRM book
from Sonoma Partners.

"Roger" wrote:

> Yes - mail merge is a good deal better - you can now merge to custom fields
> in entities within CRM but still not to custom entities. Mail merge
> templates are much better handled too - you create templates and upload them
> direct into CRM either as personal or organisation wide templates. Finally
> mail-merge can be run from either browser or outlook (unlike crm3 when it
> was outlook only)
>
> hope that helps
>
> Roger
>
> "Harald Battran" <harald.battran@googlemail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > have a question:
> >
> > Is the Mail-Merge functionality in CRM 4.0 better than in 3.0? The
> > restricted field access for the Mail-Merge in CRM 3.0 is bothering me
> > a lot and I am thinking of updating if 4.0 is better in that area.
> >
> > Any comments?
> >
> > Thank you in advance!
> >
> > Harald Battran

0
BillG1 (13)
3/28/2008 3:55:00 PM
Thanks to all!

I have downloaded the VPC and am trying it out.

Thank you as well for the infromation about mailmerge on custom
entities. As we are just starting to use the CRM we might as well be
careful not to make to much customiziaton work before upgrading.

One more question is open, which I hope you can answer me before I
have to do tests for it:

Is the mailmerge in 4.0 possible with pick-list fields? For example
the field for the salutation should rather be a picklist to spare the
users the hassle of typing in the "Herr" or "Frau" everytime. We did
create a custom salutation field only to find out that we can not use
it in mailmerge.

Thanks again for your comments!

Harald Battran

On Mar 28, 4:55=A0pm, Bill G. <Bi...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I'm quite certain you can do mail merge with custom entities so long as th=
> entity was created in 4.0. =A0If the entity was created in 3.0 and upgrade=
> mail merge will not be available. =A0If you need to do mail merge on a cus=
tom
> entity that was upgraded from 3.0 you need to make a change to the
> customization XML file. =A0
> you can learn about this modification on page 69 of the new 4.0 CRM book
> from Sonoma Partners. =A0
>

> "Roger" wrote:
> > Yes - mail merge is a good deal better - you can now merge to custom fie=
lds
> > in entities within CRM but still not to custom entities. Mail merge
> > templates are much better handled too - you create templates and upload =
them
> > direct into CRM either as personal or organisation wide templates. Final=
ly
> > mail-merge can be run from either browser or outlook (unlike crm3 when i=
> > was outlook only)
>
> > hope that helps
>
> > Roger
>
> > "Harald Battran" <harald.batt...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

> > > Hello,
>
> > > have a question:
>
> > > Is the Mail-Merge functionality in CRM 4.0 better than in 3.0? The
> > > restricted field access for the Mail-Merge in CRM 3.0 is bothering me
> > > a lot and I am thinking of updating if 4.0 is better in that area.
>
> > > Any comments?
>
> > > Thank you in advance!
>
> > > Harald Battran- Hide quoted text -

E-mail signatures in CRM 3.0
Hi I'm having problems with having my signature automatically appear when I'm sending e-mails through CRM. Does anyone have the same problem or knows how to solve this? Regards Halldor Hello Halldor, There is no possibility as far as I know to generate a Autosignature for sending e-mails thru the MS CRM Web-Client. But we are working on an Add-On which will do excatly this. Each user will have the possibility to define his own personal signature which will be added then automatically. We will release this product next week and if you are interesed please send me an email....

Is this possible? #4
I have 2 PC's . 1> Is it possible to download email to one PC, then after the other PC receives the same email, delete the email from the server? 2> Is it possible to prevent both PC's from attempting to download email at the same time and thereby avoid the 'collision' error message? Many thanks It's possible but you have to be careful since neither machine knows about the other. You set one machine to not delete mail, download there then download on the other machine that does delete but coordinate the times so you don't miss items in either. I do it a...

General CRM Questions
Hello, I am looking at Microsoft CRM as a possible customer support solution and have some questions. Any help is appreciated.... 1) Do knowledge base articles support file attachments? 2) Can the system be configured to support multiple departments that are unrelated? In other words, can cases, customized case forms, knowledge base articles and custom knowledge base templates be associated to a specific department only? What about the subject tree, can there be multiple trees (one for each department)? Thank you, Craig Santoli Currently it is not possible to attach files to KB articl...

Return on Investment from MS CRM
Stepping aside from the techie stuff for a moment - how many people would judge their CRM implementation a success and would say their organization are getting some ROI from it? We're still in the early-ish stages of implementation. A lot of what we had working on 1.2 (Integration stuff mainly) broke with version 3.0 and is being redeveloped. Would be interesting to know how other people are getting on. Prior to MSCRM we utilized Outlook (separate from everyone), Access, Act and other applications to maintain our "relationships" with clients. No one knew what the other was do...

Adding Palettes to V8.0
Hi, What is equivalent to Setup > Company > Palettes in V8.0. I have a 3rd Party application (cnk) and I need to access it's forms and reports Thanks There are some third party developers who have added some Palette functionality back to v8.0. However, this is not what you need. You need to look at the Great Plains Integration Guide that is provided with Dexterity and add into your chunk the commands and menus required for the navigation model used in v8.0 of Great Plains onwards. The other choice is to use Shortcuts, but this would need to be set up for Multiple users and...

Disable Mail Out of My Domain
How can I disable Exchange Users to Mail out of my domain?? http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq_sec3.htm Dave wrote: > How can I disable Exchange Users to Mail out of my domain?? ...

Exchange 2003 System Manager #4
Hi, Is it possible to install Exchange 2003 System manager on a Windows 2003 Server to manage an Exchange 2000 server? Thanks, JB Yes, you can manage Exchange 2000 Servers from Exchange 2003 ESM. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "JB" <JB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B8B1AAE8-9BE3-4DBD-A8A1-081D5A651BDE@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > Is it possible to install Exchange 2003 System manager on a Windows 2003 > Server to manage an Exchange 2000 server? > > Thanks, > > JB ...

E-mail stuck in Inbox, file in use, backup fails
I have a reoccuring problem that is driving me nuts. I have Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange set up. A user keeps getting a specific e-mail in her inbox in the mail store that kills the Veritas backup. The e-mail never makes it to the Outlook 2003 client. If you use OWA, the e-mail shows up there but it will not open. The page not found error is HTTP 500 server error. If you look at the log in Veritas, it says 'file in use' and 'access denied'. On the weekend I rebooted the server remotely and then permanently deleted the e-mail. The backup completed succes...

Archive.pst #4
I set Autoarchive to run at work with Outlook 2002 on an Exchange Server. I Synchronize at work and at home (Outlook 2003) via my iPAQ 4150. After Autoarchive runs at work, quite a lot of data is deleted from my Pocket PC and at home when I sync there. So, I copy my archive.pst at work to my home computer. When I open archive.pst at home on OL2003, all the old mail items are there, but no Calendar or Task folders show at all. When I open the same archive.pst at work, the Calendar & Task folders are present with old archived data. Why won't my OL 2003 at home see the Calendar & Ta...

Save Dialog Box for Smartphone 5.0
Dear, I am developing an application to enable user to save file with desired file name, I can get a save dialog box in Pocket PC 5.0 using GetSaveFilaName API, but it dont work for Smartphone 5.0. Is there any way to get Save Dialog Box in Smartphone 5.0 using VC++. I would realy appriciate any help. Thanx Atif ...

RMS - CRM
I run Dynamics CRM 4.0 and RMS 2.0 . What options do I have for Accounts integration between these three products (Crm, Accounts Application, RMS). I was hoping by now there would be a seemless link but I cannot see one and I've been waiting 4 years now ! :-) Because we are UK based Accounting 2009 looks our only option as GP seems far to complex for us. Can you help me out with these questions ? 1) Does anyone have any news on integrating pos2009 to accounting pro 2009? 2) Should I migrate to accounting pro 2009 and prey that a link is born. I'm getting fed up of double enter...

Mail icon on taskbar in Outlook 2000
A user right clicked on the mail icon on the taskbar and disabled it and wants it back. In Outlook 2003 there is an option to add it back, I didn't see anything in Outlook 2000. Does anyone know how I would do this? I am thinking a reinstall/repair might do the trick but I was thinking there might be something else. Thanks ...

CRM SQL Database
We are seeing a size of over 19 GB on our SQL Database for Microsoft CRM. That is on the MSCRM_log database. This surprises me because we have only been using CRM for about 6 months and also, all of our data and all of our email combined only adds up to about 12 GB of total size. Is this normal or is there something we can do to clean things up regularly? This is not a problem now, but if the DB continues to grow at this rate, then it will become a problem much sooner than we anticipated. Thank You, Chad perhaps a backup would not harm.. SQL server truncates the transaction log w...

How to Route Outbound E-mail from the Exchange Server 5.5 to another server.
Hi. I'm implementing an e-mail filter software and I need to configure my Exchange Server to route outbound e-mail to the e-mail filter server. I went to the connection tap and changed the message delivery to : Forward all message to host : "My e-mail filter server ". I need to know if what I've done is correct ? Thank you for your help. Yes, that's where you make the change. Don't forget to restart the IMS in order to affect the change. -- hth, SusanV "Javier" <jbisono@tricom.com.do> wrote in message news:uPVHjhl9DHA.1472@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

Problems getting rid of "..Program is trying to access your e-mail addresses.."
I am trying to complete a migration to Exchange 2003 Outlook 2003 from an Exchange 5.5 Outlook 2003 environment. I have all of my clients configured so that the HKey_Local_Machine value of CheckAdminSettings is set to 1 or 2. I have identical security group documents in the Outlook 10 Security Settings and Outlook Security Settings folders. Unfortunately Some of my users are still seeing the Outllok security prompts. I have checked the permissions on the Security Settings folders and everything seems to be correct. What am I missing and why can't I make the prompts disappear. Everything...

CRM Callout error (ComException) 02-04-04
I followed the example of Microsoft on how to create a Callout CO interface (found at http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmbscrm1_2/html/mbs_crmPostCalloutsv1d2.asp) But I keep getting the same error System.Runtime.InteropSevices.ComException: The file name is too long I used very short names so I don't understand where this error woul come from. Anybody got any idea's or encountered this in the past Regards Edwin Jongsm Accenture ------=_NextPart_0001_366F0616 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hi, Is you machine name longer t...

Error after applying SP1 on GP 9.0 with SQL 2005 P2
I have applied SP1 on GP 9.0 on the server and the GP utilities shows all companies have been updated, however when I attempt to login to a couple of companies I recieve a message "[Microsoft][OBDC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]procedure smcleanup filesbeforelogin has no parameters and arguments were supplied". I have compatablility set to 90 ------=_NextPart_0001_5EFEE3FC Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, Thanks for posting to Newsgroups. It seems the update may have failed on one or more stored procedures. You can attempt to recreate this sto...

Money 2003 AutoBudget = 0
I have been using money for 6 years and Money 2003 for almost a year. I have been doing budget differently, but just wanted to switch to the "standard" way of doing it. So, I created a new budget and selected AutoBudget. I have some income categories selected that I know have amounts in them. The AutoBudget creates those categories, but they have all zeroes in them. What gives? Perhaps they're at a frequency or amount that Money assumes that they're one-time entries. -- "Randy Given" <GivenRandy@aol.com> wrote in message news:dM87b.49284$Zw4.48583@lakere...

Mail Enabled Users vs. Mail enabled contacts......
I am needing to create a distribution group in our GAL of external people for my AD users to email. What is the difference between Mail Enabled users vs Mail enabled contacts. I am not sure which one to use? HELP For external users, you need to create mail-enabled Contacts. Contacts exist only so they can show up in the Address Book/GAL (they can be hidden, though... ) and everyone in the Org can email them. Mail-enabled users are users that have mail residing on an external system - they are security principals and can log-on to the Domain - Contacts can't. -- Bharat Suneja MCSE...

import email from outlook expressv6.0
would be grateful for any pointers for importing emails from xp based, outlook express v6.0 into my vista based machine running win live mail 2008 and win mail ver6.0 6000.16386. have burned 4 files : ( archive (.pst), backup (.pst), extend.dat, outlook (.pst) ) from old system but both win mail and win live mail seem not to recognize the files when i try to read these files or import them. thks. "jchan" <jchan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5438430C-BA1E-4A3E-A8AA-93DBF3E6C08E@microsoft.com... > would be grateful for any pointers for importing emai...

picking up old mail from a popserver
I am moving from a Groupwise office which has popserver access to mail and want to use outlook to 'pop' in to collect all my mail from the server. However it only seems to pick up the recent mail. Even though the earlier mails have been marked as unread on the server. Is there a setting on the outlook client which will force it to pick up all unread mail on a server thanks Drew ...

CRM Rule Deployment

A message is queued at the Internet Mail Service (EXC01)
We are getting messages sent back to users not all the time but on an intermittent basis. I've looked around on the interent and only finds articles that relate to Exchange 2000 (BY THE WAY WE RUN 5.5). Does anyone have any thoughts on this. Thanks, KB when you say back do you mean ndr. try going to dnsstuff.com and checking your mx record to make sure you are not on a blacklist as well as you have a reverse ptr recrd. this sounds stupid but allot of companies are using mail firewalls that do rev lookups etc. "KB" wrote: > We are getting messages sent back to user...

Importing Excel mail merge data doc to outlook?
Does anyone know if this can be done for a start and if so, what needs to be done. I have tried the import/export - from excel wizard in outlook but have so far only managed to import a lot of entrys that end up as blank contacts. This leads me to believe that it can be done if the settings of the excel document are correct - i just need to figure out what the correct settings are??!!! ...

receiving mail that dosen't have a mailbox on my server
how do you stop email addresses that have my domain name, but the receipant does not have a mailbox on my server please help "Brad Camden" <Bacamden@mississippilime.com> wrote: >how do you stop email addresses that have my domain name, >but the receipant does not have a mailbox on my server > > >please help In E2K3 you can now do a directory lookup and deny inbound traffic for smtp addresses that aren't in AD. There are other solutions for the older versions of Exchange. What ya got? Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP, FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exc...