look up with a custom entity

Hi there
i have a a question regarding custom entity and i appreciate if yuo can help
me...

 am trying to customize the account form to fit our business need, I need to
add a new field called “IT director” in the account form.

The IT director represents a contact person from that specific account.
I want that field to appear with a look up glass, and when I click that
glass, it refers me to our contacts.

I have created a custom entity called IT director, and added a new 1- to
many relationship, and related it to Accounts.
Then I went to the account form and I added the new field “IT Director”.
The field appeared with a lookup glass, but when I click on the glass, it
opens the accounts list and not the contacts list.

Thank you,

Marwa

crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Sounds like you need to relate that new custom entity to the Contacts entity
instead of the Accounts etity...

"Marwa" wrote:

> Hi there
> i have a a question regarding custom entity and i appreciate if yuo can help
> me...
>
>  am trying to customize the account form to fit our business need, I need to
> add a new field called “IT director” in the account form.
>
> The IT director represents a contact person from that specific account.
> I want that field to appear with a look up glass, and when I click that
> glass, it refers me to our contacts.
>
> I have created a custom entity called IT director, and added a new 1- to
> many relationship, and related it to Accounts.
> Then I went to the account form and I added the new field “IT Director”.
> The field appeared with a lookup glass, but when I click on the glass, it
> opens the accounts list and not the contacts list.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Marwa

Hi,
Sorry, what I think you want to do can't be done.

Relations can only be 1-many or many-1 from one custom entity and another or
from one custom entity to a system entity. Not System entity to system entity.

What you can do is make a new entity for IT-manager, containing all info.
(unfortunatley not 1-1 connect to a contact). You could make the connection 1
IT-manager to many accounts, but only use each manager once. (you will not be
able to get that limitation without some further customization). Then you
will get a lookup in accounts for selecting the IT-manager, and a list in
each IT-manager of which accounts it is IT-manager for.

Did you get that? It is probably described in the SDK aswell.

Gustaf

"chad.buser@ncsi.cc" wrote:

> Sounds like you need to relate that new custom entity to the Contacts entity
> instead of the Accounts etity...
>
> "Marwa" wrote:
>
> > Hi there
> > i have a a question regarding custom entity and i appreciate if yuo can help
> > me...
> >
> >  am trying to customize the account form to fit our business need, I need to
> > add a new field called “IT director” in the account form.
> >
> > The IT director represents a contact person from that specific account.
> > I want that field to appear with a look up glass, and when I click that
> > glass, it refers me to our contacts.
> >
> > I have created a custom entity called IT director, and added a new 1- to
> > many relationship, and related it to Accounts.
> > Then I went to the account form and I added the new field “IT Director”.
> > The field appeared with a lookup glass, but when I click on the glass, it
> > opens the accounts list and not the contacts list.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Marwa

yes Gustaf, i got it, thank you , i think what i look for is like having a
many to many relationship-which does not exist.

what makes it worse is that i want to add many fields in the same account
form other than the IT manager, like CIO, MIS manager, system admin. and all
to point at the contact entity. so it will be so hard !!

--
Regards,
Marwa

"Gustaf Westerlund, Humandata, Sweden" wrote:

> Hi,
> Sorry, what I think you want to do can't be done.
>
> Relations can only be 1-many or many-1 from one custom entity and another or
> from one custom entity to a system entity. Not System entity to system entity.
>
> What you can do is make a new entity for IT-manager, containing all info.
> (unfortunatley not 1-1 connect to a contact). You could make the connection 1
> IT-manager to many accounts, but only use each manager once. (you will not be
> able to get that limitation without some further customization). Then you
> will get a lookup in accounts for selecting the IT-manager, and a list in
> each IT-manager of which accounts it is IT-manager for.
>
> Did you get that? It is probably described in the SDK aswell.
>
> Gustaf
>
> "chad.buser@ncsi.cc" wrote:
>
> > Sounds like you need to relate that new custom entity to the Contacts entity
> > instead of the Accounts etity...
> >
> > "Marwa" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi there
> > > i have a a question regarding custom entity and i appreciate if yuo can help
> > > me...
> > >
> > >  am trying to customize the account form to fit our business need, I need to
> > > add a new field called “IT director” in the account form.
> > >
> > > The IT director represents a contact person from that specific account.
> > > I want that field to appear with a look up glass, and when I click that
> > > glass, it refers me to our contacts.
> > >
> > > I have created a custom entity called IT director, and added a new 1- to
> > > many relationship, and related it to Accounts.
> > > Then I went to the account form and I added the new field “IT Director”.
> > > The field appeared with a lookup glass, but when I click on the glass, it
> > > opens the accounts list and not the contacts list.
> > >
> > > Thank you,
> > >
> > > Marwa

if i did so, the custom entity i created will not be availabe for adding in
the account form, it will be available for the contact form instead
--
Regards,
Marwa

"chad.buser@ncsi.cc" wrote:

> Sounds like you need to relate that new custom entity to the Contacts entity
> instead of the Accounts etity...
>
> "Marwa" wrote:
>
> > Hi there
> > i have a a question regarding custom entity and i appreciate if yuo can help
> > me...
> >
> >  am trying to customize the account form to fit our business need, I need to
> > add a new field called “IT director” in the account form.
> >
> > The IT director represents a contact person from that specific account.
> > I want that field to appear with a look up glass, and when I click that
> > glass, it refers me to our contacts.
> >
> > I have created a custom entity called IT director, and added a new 1- to
> > many relationship, and related it to Accounts.
> > Then I went to the account form and I added the new field “IT Director”.
> > The field appeared with a lookup glass, but when I click on the glass, it
> > opens the accounts list and not the contacts list.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Marwa

Create an instance of new Customized entity by Workflow
I created an entity named E1 under Account entity(Many-to-1 relationship with Account) then I want to create a workflow Rule that after creating an Account an instance of E1 entity is created automatically. It seems Activity creation is possible in workflow automatically! Is any soloution for this issiue? -- Mohsen Ahmadi you can create activities but not custom entities. You would need to either do this by using a callout or by creating a workflow .net assembly that can create the custom entity for you. ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.g...

look up question #2
I have a list of people with their system rights in the next column by group. Each person may have more than one type of right in the list as follows John Smith Edit Joe Doe Submit Cathy Dory Edit John Smith Submit As you can see above, John Smith has both edit and submit rights on this list. What I am looking for is a formula where I can look down the list of names and find all instances of John Smith and then it can tell me if John Smith ever has edit rights or ever has submit rights. What I would like it to do is return a 1 if he has edit rights a...

Take a look at these update
--bdasmyrpae Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="ovqhiyszwjkhyysf"; type="multipart/alternative" --ovqhiyszwjkhyysf Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="hladtcjs" --hladtcjs Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Partner this is the latest version of security update, the "September 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express. Install now to maintain the security of your computer from these ...

Customer Statement Crystal Report
Hi! Does anyone have a Customer Statement in Crystal format? Thanks -- Marisol Mortera Marisol, Your question is very generic. If you could be a little more precise, then I might have what you need. Girish "Marisol" wrote: > Hi! > > Does anyone have a Customer Statement in Crystal format? > > Thanks > -- > Marisol Mortera I am trying to build a crystal report for customer statements as well. The Great Plains one is very difficult to work with. If you have an example of this report in crystal, please email it at staceyleelee@hotmail.com Stacey &quo...

customized views disappear
Every so often my customized views for various folders just disappear. I've created them by copying the current view and modifying the copy, but periodically my copies disappear from the View menu. It seems to pick on my Tasks views regularly, while other customized views (e.g. mail) are fine. This is an Outlook 2002 w/Exchange server environment. Any ideas? ...

More than 100 records in Look Up Records dialog window
Does anybody know, how to get more than 100 records in Look Up Records dialog window? For example in Opportunities - I want to add an existing contact to the opportunity, but I can see only 100 records. I dont want to specify any character, I need to choose from all contacts. (It is not the same problem as paging, PagingLimit in SQL can not help) -- thanks Ivana ...

Business Portal Customer Logon
Hello all, I just installed business portal for GP 2.5. I setup a login for a customer on it and associated the login to a customer ID in GP. When the customer logs in, there really isn't any customer information displayed. Does anyone have a resource to let me know how to add customer specific content from GP? Want to display items like payment history, contact info, etc. Thanks, Tareef Tareef, Look for this capability in business portal 3.0. 2.5 is not a customer/vendor facing solution, and even though the advanced roles exist, I do not believe it will work as of now. 3.0 shou...

Making custom form default for contacts
Hello: I am a beginner with Outlook. I am a new hire in a department that uses Outlook contact information in a Word Mail Merge process. I am teaching myself how this all works, and have been doing ok, but I am struggling with forms, particularly the form used for contacts. I don't have any problems modifying the form (for example to add FirstName and LastName fields), but I am very confused about how to get Outlook to use my modified form instead of the default custom contacts form. It seems to me that this should be a simple property setting, but I've had no luck tinkering w...

Upgrade CRM 1.2 And Custom
Did somebody upgrade CRM 1.0 to 1.2 with several customization? I would like to know how CRM was after upgrade, and if you had any problem with custom? Regards, Sylvie Mondoux We had customizations and we had to change the isv.config and web.config file because those are replaced during the upgrade. Everything else was left in place in our case. "Sylvie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:b7be01c43787$140ceac0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Did somebody upgrade CRM 1.0 to 1.2 with several > customization? I would like to know how CRM was after > ...

Populate customer through web services
I am trying to import a customer record through dynamics web services and have the following questions: 1. How do I get the customer class information to default for the customer. I am passing in the customer class and the class field populates on the customer but the class information does not default. There is a behaviour on the create customer but it is of type internal. If I change the behaviour on the policy, the customer does not import at all. 2. How do I get the address on the customer card to be imported. I can get the customer addresses to be imported into Great Plains but no...

What file to look for on my hard drive back up to recover my Entourage contact list?

Relocate My Outlook Look / Excel Settings
I have changed my system because of some unavoidable reason. I was using Windows 2000. And still using win 2000 How can I transfer my outlook settings (look, style, groupings, contacts, calendar, OE settings with Newsgroups ...in short all settings related to outlook & outlook express). Also If possible kindly tell me how can i transfer MS Office settings in general to my new system. Please please any suggestions / advices regarding relocation from old-system to new-system will be highly appreciated. Regards, Murtaza Hi Murtaza, That's a pretty good situation, two systems that w...

Customization option disappears under settings
Sometimes when we are logged onto Web crm we can see the customizations button on the navigation pane under settings. Other times it has disappeared altogether and the only way to get it back is to delete the temporary internet files. Does anyone know of a permanent solution for this? I assume this is CRM4. Do you also have CRM Outlook client on this machine? I have found that the Customisations option is not always avaliable in the outlook client, and if you have opened outlook before opening the web, the option will not be in the web client. You can change this my editing the isv.c...

making lines around info so it looks like a table when printed or viewed
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) How do I put horizontal and vertical lines around all the cells so it looks like a table? Display the Toolbox by hitting the Toolbox button. Activate the Formatting Palette (upper left button) then chose Borders and Shading. Make sure you select the cels you want to format.... <br><br>make your choice in de button that has &quot;type:&quot; in front of it. Done Thank you I have been successfully making borders in all my excel worksheets but since the latest update, the palette in excel no longer works. At firs...

Show related records for custom entity
I have a custom entity. When I go to History I can not see the related records from contacts, opportunities, etc. They are not rolling up and there is no pick list to show related records or not. Is there a way to change this? Thanks, -Rick M On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 10:33:49 -0800, Rick M <RickM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a custom entity. When I go to History I can not see the related >records from contacts, opportunities, etc. They are not rolling up and there >is no pick list to show related records or not. Is there a way to change >this? > As...

Custom format macro?
Can I write a macro to format a number? I have a bunch of cells containing time intervals stored as floating point numbers in units of days. These are not dates, but are stored in the same format. Some examples: 1 1 day 2.5 2.5 days or 2 days, 12 hours 0.125 3 hours 0.020833 30 minutes and so on. These values are calculated. I would like to display them as nnn.n u where "nnn.n" is a floating point number formatted to 1 decimal place and "u" is a character indicating the units (Y=years, D=days, H=hours, M=minutes, S=seconds). The ...

xl97 Custom Built in Button greyed out
we have the office 97 suite loaded on a citrix server and published (not that that is the problem) But for some reason the built in button on the custom chart window is greyed out. The file XL8GALRY.XLS is there. I have sr1 and sr 2 applied. Am I missing something so obvious I'm going to smack my forehead.....again. John M wrote: > *we have the office 97 suite loaded on a citrix server and > published (not that that is the problem) But for some > reason the built in button on the custom chart window is > greyed out. The file XL8GALRY.XLS is there. I have sr1 > an...

Custom Themes
Vista Home Premium... Is there any way to create ones own theme for things such as the colour of added links bars to the desktop? I would like to have the links bar the same colour as the taskbar (black). TIA for any help. Ed On 2/19/10, Ed O'Brien posted: > Vista Home Premium... > Is there any way to create ones own theme for things such as the colour of > added links bars to the desktop? I would like to have the links bar the same > colour as the taskbar (black). > TIA for any help. > Ed Have you tried changing the colors etc to how ...

Activity Rollup from custom entity
I assumed that when a custom entity was created and then a Relationship created - eg. to Account, where Account is the parent, then the activities created under the custom entity would be visible directly under the Account - Like they are if you create acrivities under an Acocunt Contact for instance. This seems not to be the case. Can anyone confirm? ...

custom header #3
I would like to know how to set up a custom header which shows the data in a perticular cell (i.e. - C9 shows the number 100, so I want the header in all the pages,except the first, to show "100". Thank you One way is to use a macro. Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Dim myHeaderStr As String Dim iCtr As Long myHeaderStr = Worksheets("sheet3").Range("C9").Value For iCtr = 2 To Worksheets.Count Worksheets(iCtr).PageSetup.LeftHeader = myHeaderStr Next iCtr End Sub (I used c9 on sheet...

Using a custom form kills forward/reply arrows in the inbox?
Hi, I installed a custom email form in Outlook 2000 and the "Forward" and "Reply" arrows on mails in the inbox disappeared. The arrows reappear on new mails when I swap the default back to IPM.Note but as I really have to use this custom form the absence of the Forward/Reply indicators is a pain. Has anybody come across this issue before? Is there a method to turn these "flags" back on or do I have to dig into the code in the custom form? The custom form is just a modied IPM.Note that provides access to a COM plugin. Thanks! Fin Known issue, dating back t...

Customizations 03-10-06
Hi, using the "customization" in "Settings" showed me an "E-mail" entity, althought there is no way to setup where to display it ("Areas that display this entity") and I'd like to find out how to adapt this!! Thanks for your helpfull reply, SturE Email enitity is a type od Activity, there is no way to modify display area for activities in user interface. You can try to modify sitemap.xml, but you will need some knowledge... "Sture Van de moortel" wrote: > Hi, > > using the "customization" in "Settings" ...

looking up the last value in a column
I need assistance in choosing the correct function so that I can obtain the last calculated value in a column range as each month another value is added to the list. =LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,A:A) would fetch the last numerical value from column A. Bob wrote: > I need assistance in choosing the correct function so that I can obtain the > last calculated value in a column range as each month another value is added > to the list. Dear Aladin Thanks for your reply however this did not solve my problem. The column (T) contains formulas which are dependent to other cells so ...

Custom real time, time format check
Hello I have a custom form that has two time fields. How can I force users to enter time in those fields as "12:00 AM/PM" or military time 19.00. If input does not match those two rules, pop a warning. This needs to happen as the user moves to another field way before trying to save the form. Any help would be appreciated! . Submitted using http://www.outlookforums.com bearsgone wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 14:24 > Hello > > I have a custom form that has two time fields. > > How can I force users to enter time in those fields as "12:00 AM/PM&qu...

I want Combo box to be populated depending on customer category
When a customer number is entered on my form, the data populates the form, including the text box for the customer category. I want a combo box on that form to display only choices for that category. How do I modify the query that runs the row source for the combo box? Thanks, Sue On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 21:47:01 -0800, Sue R <SueR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: The RowSource should be something like: select * from Choices where Category = Forms!myForm!myCategoryTextbox -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >When a customer number is entered on my form, the data po...