Is it true? Word Merge

Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS CRM???
The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then merge
with Word?

I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.

Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for us.

Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot be
done 'outta the box'.

Thanks
Mike
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

This might do what u want

http://www.gotdotnet.com/codegallery/codegallery.aspx?id=b44f8ee7-4d2b-4e39-9bfb-1119fffbe018

> Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS
> CRM???
> The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then
> merge
> with Word?
>
> I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
> single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
> functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
>
> Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
> MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for
> us.
>
> Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot
> be
> done 'outta the box'.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

0
Dyawlak
4/25/2007 1:32:36 PM
Soz thought the link led to the actual snap inlook at bottom of downloads
for  Snap-in for Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 - Business Data Lookup

"Dyawlak" <dyawlak@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This might do what u want
>
> http://www.gotdotnet.com/codegallery/codegallery.aspx?id=b44f8ee7-4d2b-4e39-9bfb-1119fffbe018
>

> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS
>> CRM???
>> The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then
>> merge
>> with Word?
>>
>> I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with
>> single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
>> functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
>>
>> Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
>> MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for
>> us.
>>
>> Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot
>> be
>> done 'outta the box'.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Mike

0
Dyawlak
4/25/2007 1:36:33 PM
Sadly enough you can do mail merge from the web client. However you can
create documents using reports which would work like mail merge. You define a
report in the report designer, set which fields to insert and after you
uploaded the report to CRM you can run report on any list created using
advanced finds.
The only drawbacks is that out of the box sql reporting services only
generates pdf documents and not word. However the pdfs do work pretty nice
but if this isn't enough there are components which allow you to create word
documents. We use a component from softartisants. I find this works easier
and better that the Ms supplied editor and the result is better, but is isn't
cheap.

--
Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD)
Lead Developer

"Mike" wrote:

> Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS CRM???
> The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then merge
> with Word?
>
> I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
> single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
> functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
>
> Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
> MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for us.
>
> Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot be
> done 'outta the box'.
>
> Thanks
> Mike
The CRM Laptop and Desktop Outlook client allows you to perform Mail Merges.
You also build a CRM View that can populate a Dynamic Excel workbook that can
fuel any number of Word templates. The cool thing about using a Dynamic CRM
Excel file is that you can include as many attributes as you want from the
source entity. The uncool thing is that you cannot join on other entities in
a CRM View (to get User data, etc.)

"Patrick" wrote:

> Sadly enough you can do mail merge from the web client. However you can
> create documents using reports which would work like mail merge. You define a
> report in the report designer, set which fields to insert and after you
> uploaded the report to CRM you can run report on any list created using
> advanced finds.
> The only drawbacks is that out of the box sql reporting services only
> generates pdf documents and not word. However the pdfs do work pretty nice
> but if this isn't enough there are components which allow you to create word
> documents. We use a component from softartisants. I find this works easier
> and better that the Ms supplied editor and the result is better, but is isn't
> cheap.
>
> --
> Patrick Verbeeten (MCSD)
> Lead Developer
> Aviva IT
> Web: http://www.aviva-it.nl
>

> "Mike" wrote:
>
> > Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS CRM???
> > The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then merge
> > with Word?
> >
> > I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
> > single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
> > functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
> >
> > Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
> > MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for us.
> >
> > Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot be
> > done 'outta the box'.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Mike
Thanks to all so far.  We are getting closer.  I really hope I can make this
work as I really love everything else I have seen so far.

What I need to be able to do at a minimum is create and share merge
templates with our entire team.  Some of this team will be offline laptop
users.  Is there a way of syncing out documents to offline users?  What I
would ideally like to see is a custom Area in the navigation pane called
documents with a tree view of mergeable document templates. (We are currently
using Goldmine which does this).

Is this possible to do with custom code?  I suppose the C360 product gets me
pretty close.  Anyone know if it can merge in related record data?

Thanks again
Mike

"Mike" wrote:

> Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS CRM???
> The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then merge
> with Word?
>
> I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
> single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
> functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
>
> Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
> MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for us.
>
> Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot be
> done 'outta the box'.
>
> Thanks
> Mike
>I suppose the C360 product gets me
> pretty close.  Anyone know if it can merge in related record data?

I left c360 before they picked up Mail Merge so I don't know for sure, but
the product description page says "Generate word documents with custom
entities and insert related information (from accounts, contacts)", so it
sounds like can... at least to some extent.
Mike,

Many times this type of word Mail Merge functionality is done in Outlook.
User's tend to run CRM from Outlook and as such the word mail merge is in
the Outlook Client.

In terms of linking to Excel..

With the right configuration it is actually not as complicated as it sounds.
You see you can setup a permanent Dynamic Excel spreadsheet that gets
automatically updated from CRM..

It is really a matter of .. it isn't obvious.. versus .. it can't be done
quickly.

--
Anne Stanton, MBSCP-CRM
President, The Norwich Group

Written on a Lenovo T60p running VISTA Ultimate
Tracked in MS Dynamics CRM v3.0 Rollup 1, Outlook Client v3.0C (with hotfix)
Good Neighbor to Groove 2007, OneNote 2007, Office Enterprise 2007,
Autotask, LinkedIN,
TypePad and More!
> Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS
> CRM???
> The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then
> merge
> with Word?
>
> I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
> single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
> functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
>
> Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
> MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for
> us.
>
> Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot
> be
> done 'outta the box'.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

0
Anne
4/26/2007 3:25:05 AM
There is funcitionality for merging in CRM but I will tell you the C360
product is a great product for the price.  I would consider it 2 - 3 version
ahead of what is available in MSCRM today.  It has multi-relation capability
and automatically recognizes custom entities.  You should download the trial
and check it out.

mudhead

"Mike" wrote:

> Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS CRM???
> The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then merge
> with Word?
>
> I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
> single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
> functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
>
> Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
> MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for us.
>
> Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot be
> done 'outta the box'.
>
> Thanks
> Mike
Mike,

We tried several routes to create both simple and complex Word documents
straight from CRM with MS tools.  They all were maddeningly complex and
difficult to use.  Certainly not recommended for end-users.

You need to get WordMailMerge here http://www.mscrm-addons.com.  It just
works and they are very responsive to questions and suggestions.  Heartily
recommended.

Henricus

"Mike" wrote:

> Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS CRM???
> The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then merge
> with Word?
>
> I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
> single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
> functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
>
> Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
> MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for us.
>
> Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot be
> done 'outta the box'.
>
> Thanks
> Mike
Hi Mike,

You can use the Microsoft CRM Add-On WordMailMerge. This Add-On let you
generate very easily single letters from the contact from of MS CRM.

Look at www.mscrm-addons.com for detailed description of the product.

Regards,
Christian Ternek
_________________________
www.mscrm-addons.com
Your company for MS-CRM ADD-ONS!

WordMailMerge for MS CRM
GroupCalendar for MS CRM
Telephone Integration for MS CRM
EmailSignature for MS CRM
"Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Is it true that you cannot do a simple merge document directly from MS
> CRM???
> The video I found indicated that you needed to export to excel and then
> merge
> with Word?
>
> I need the ability to have single letters that can be easily merged with a
> single contact by end users.  I would have thought this would be a base
> functionality for any CRM but it appears this is not the case.
>
> Is there a way to do this?  I am loving everything else I am seeing about
> MSCRM but this is a fundemental requirement and may be a show stopper for
> us.
>
> Could someone please comment.  I find it hard to believe that this cannot
> be
> done 'outta the box'.
>
> Thanks
> Mike

0
Christian

More then one word replaced at same time?
Is there a way to type in the replace box, words a, b and c then replac all of them in one click? I have about 10 consistent terms that i nee to get rid of without wasting all my time opening up the function ove and over. Thanks Eri -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com > Is there a way to type in the replace box, words a, b and c then replace > all of them in one click? I have about 10 consistent terms that i need > to get rid of without wasting all my time opening up the function over > and over. Thanks Not AFAIK. Try doing it one time (i.e. 10 times) while recor...

Word document creation in XML
Hi All, I'm pretty new to .Net, not to mention XML, so I truly appreciate any advice! I have user data that I want to selectively insert into a MS Word document in XML. Given the various content, I want to create a new instance of an XML document and write the data to the XML doc using the Word ML schema. The key item is that I want to be able to add content line-by-line or section-by-section, to the word document using the XML schema. The reason behind this is that the content will change dramatically. The question comes down to this -- are there already-defined components that...

printing 100 pages of word file
I want to print 100 pages of a word file. I want to print two pages per sheet. I also want to use the front and back of the sheet. First i want to print odd pages (front of sheet) and then even pages (back of sheet). However when I do that the printed back of the sheet is upside down with respect to the printed front of the sheet. How to prevent this upside down problem? -- labview1958 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ labview1958's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=32123 View this thread: http://www.excelfor...

S.O.S :importing excell data into word
I have made an excell workbook and now I am trying to import the data into a word document. The problem is that the birthdates' format, and the decimals av the numbers change when importing to my word document! How can I solve this problem? PLEASE HELP. -- villi Use a number pattern in the Word field... In Word, toggle the field code and insert a number format switch: [MERGEFIELD Value_1 \# 0.00] In article <61FF77C2-CEAA-4F19-8A1A-B238E19961E7@microsoft.com>, "villi" <villi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have made an excell workbook and now I...

Merge cells in two columns
Hi I have a worksheet with 300 rows Is it possible to merge 2 adjacent columns in one or two steps without having to do each one individually I've just learnt how to merge 2 adjacent cells to include all data in the range in the merged cell column C has the word 'dist' in ever row column D has numbers from 1 to 14 in random order using Excel 2000 Martin ���� >>Is it possible to merge 2 adjacent columns in one or two steps without having to do each one individually Easy, but you have to use a menu choice not shown on the menus by default. Do a View, Toolbars, Custom...

exporting MS outlook 2000 addresses to MS word 2000
I'm not the most computer literate person on the planet but I thought that it would be easy to put all of my Christmas card addresses in the Contacts area of MS Outlook 2000. Now, I'm finding it impossible to export it into Word 2000 to use to address the envelopes. HELP!!!!! I am now clueless! I have spent at least 10 hours trying to figure this out and I refuse to pay Microsoft to teach me. Thanks, Betty Jo There is no need to export. You can use a mail merge to print your envelopes using your existing Outlook Contacts. Outlook uses Word for performing mail merge functions su...

CRT, VCRT, MFC merge modules not updated with VS2003 SP1.
Merge modules are not updated by the VS2003SP1 installer. Where can I get new msm files with updated components?-- Thanks, Stefan Hi Stefan, I have checked those msm files after applying the VS2003 SP1, their contained DLL files have already been updated to the 7.10.6030.0 version ones. If this is not the case in your machine, I suggest you run that VS2003 SP1package under the admin account. Thanks! Best regards, Gary Chang Microsoft Online Community Support ================================================== Get notification to my posts through email? Please refer to http://msdn.m...

Word data to pie chart?
I have alphabetized word data I want to convert to a Pie Chart? Is this possible with Excel 2003 without having to assign a number to each box of the word data? Thank you ...

Word 2007, Spell Checking is not working
I uninstalled and reinstaled Work 2007, but the Spell checking is not working. Proofing >> Exceptions are Un-Checked. Custom Distionaries >> Set to English (US) Check Spelling as you type is - Checked. Why the spelling still not working ? - niladri Please read "Office Word 2007" (not Work..!) "niladri chatterjee" wrote: > I uninstalled and reinstaled Work 2007, but the Spell checking is not working. > Proofing >> Exceptions are Un-Checked. > > Custom Distionaries >> Set to English (US) > > Check Spell...

Pub vs Word
Our group sends an 8 page newsletter consisting of articles and photos. We do it in Publisher 2000. We have been advised by a computer expert that we should do it in Word - 1) so that it can be emailed to those of our members with internet access and, 2) that we would have more room for articles, without boxes taking up space. I thought Publisher was expressly for such publications and had advantages over Word for layout etc. Should we change to Word? Can the newsletter be converted to Word when finished for those members with email and Word? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on ...

Macros failing in different language versions of Word
My company wants to standardize on templates across several countries - we have offices in many countries, but for simplicity I will just talk about UK and Sweden. My problem is that some features in the English version of Word do not work in the Swedish version of Word. For example, StylRef. I use StyleRef in the header margin to refer to "Heading 1" style. The problem is that it is not called "Heading 1" in the Swedish version of Word. It is called "Rubrik 1", which translates back to "Heading 1" of course. In the UK we use many macro...

Word X text converter for WordPerfect (wpd) files
Is there a text converter available for Word X that converts WordPerfect (spd) files? In article <0b1e01c39a76$b3cad9e0$a001280a@phx.gbl>, "JPS" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a text converter available for Word X that converts WordPerfect > (spd) files? No. Check out Dataviz' MacLinkPlus: http://www.dataviz.com/products/maclinkplus/ ...

importing excel and word documents from pc to mac
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) How can I import all files at one time without having to import files one at a time? On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 13:19:17 -0800, inc_brc@officeformac.com wrote: >Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) How can I import all files at one time >without having to import files one at a time? If your machines aren't on the same LAN, copy the directory to a RAM drive, to your iPod, or to a network drive, and then copy them from there to your Mac. That's what I do. -- "In no part of th...

merging a value in a text field with each line in a memo field
I am trying to merge a value in a text field with the information in a memo field using a query to create a report. This is the query I am using: SELECT AVRelay+","+IPRange FROM T_Sites AVRelay is the text field and IPRange is the Memo. IPRange has multiple lines, each of which I need appended with the value in AVRelay for the report. It should look like. 2,192.168.1.0/24 2,192.168.0.0/24 2,192.168.2.0/24 Instead it looks like 2,192.168.1.0/24 192.168.0.0/24 192.168.2.0/24 I have searched far and wide but has come up empty. Please help! I would gues...

True to TRUE
I'm entering data for a database at work and when I type in the last name "True" Excel is changing it to "TRUE." I try to just undo it and it won't. How do I make it so it's just True???? TRUE is a special value in Excel. To enter True, precede the text with an apostrophe. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Nikki@CustomMortgageSolutions" <Nikki@CustomMortgageSolutions@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E35515F3-F2E8-4B05-B970-66951A7600A4@microsoft.com......

merging files
there is a folder containing 400 excel files which are on same pattern. I want to merge all files in a single new excel file. Hi Maaz See http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm Or one of the other examples on my site -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "Maaz" <Maaz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:78BD6D53-6DD7-4FDA-B812-98FA5073C243@microsoft.com... > there is a folder containing 400 excel files which are on same pattern. I > want to merge all files in a single new excel file. i am new user i didnt know about amcros would ple...

How do you copy from Publisher and paste into Word ?
I can not get my image or text to paste into word from publisher Select in Publisher, then use Ctrl+C, then move to Word and use Ctrl+V -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Jewel" <Jewel @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70235DD3-C6AC-4AE8-8A84-A977BA25E57B@microsoft.com... > I can not get my image or text to paste into word from publisher ...

Not able to open word at the library
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Hi there, I started off with one question but was hoping you might be able to assist with a couple more! 1. On two occasions now I have been unable to open word documents at the reading rooms in the library. A message comes up saying that someone else already has it in use. The information on this site says that only one product key can be used to run this application. I don't understand how someone else at the library could have the same product key as me. Perhaps I need to re-install word? I bought this computer second-hand (i book G4) but I thi...

introducing words OK, doing cuts NO
Hi i have a problem. I want to allow people from introducing words in cells in a sheet, but i don't want them to do cuts (ctrl x) to cells can i do that thanks ...

Mail Merge 12-16-09
Can I do a Mail Merge message from Outlook? With Outlook, sure. But not with Windows Mail (the subject of this newsgroup). "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E224B24C-5D6E-416C-9146-E02EFFD8544B@microsoft.com... > Can I do a Mail Merge message from Outlook? ...

alphabetize a column of words in MS word
can i alphabetize a column of words in MS word In Word 2003 or earlier, use Table > Sort. In Word 2007, click the Sort button on the Home ribbon (the one with an A and Z and an arrow). -- Regards, Jay Freedman Microsoft Word MVP FAQ: http://word.mvps.org Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so all may benefit. On Thu, 20 May 2010 15:36:01 -0700, Dale <Dale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >can i alphabetize a column of words in MS word ...

Merge duplicate accounts warning
Be VERY careful if you even LOOK at the 'Merge Duplicate Accounts' page. If you go to the 'Merge Duplicate Accounts' page, the focus is on the first drop-down box in the list. If you then scroll down the page with your mouse wheel, you might not notice that the first drop-down list has scroll from the 'Make a selection' (or whatever prompt) to some valid account in the list. When it gets to the bottom of the list, the page scrolls, taking that focused list out of site. You may then pick another drop-down list and make an intentional choice to merge a different ac...

Why did a word docuement increased from 32kb to 981kb?
I use the same message as a templete for the next word docuement. Original size was 32kb. Lately it has increased to 981kb. Why? ...

Reinstalled Office 07: Now can't do merge to email
Hi guys, every Friday I send out a message to about 100 emails. This week I had to reinstall Vista and Office 07 and now I can't get emails to go out. The merge happens in that I can see the names being filled in but basically the messages don't get sent. They are not appearing in my outbox or sent mail. I'm on an Exchange server, but that's not new. Grateful for advice so I can get this message out urgently. Thanks in advance Jo On Jul 24, 1:48=A0pm, Boppy <therealbo...@yahoo.com> wrote: > Hi guys, every Friday I send out a message to about 100 emails. This > ...

How can do you FAX a Word document in Word 2007 64 bit mode?
Tried to send a Word document via Internet FAX service. Dialogue box pops up saying that option is not abvailable in 64 bit mode. Is there any way to FAX documents from Office 2007? Sage words appreciated. If you have a fax modem and install fax software compatible with your version of Windows (Windows XP and some versions of Vista include fax software that is not installed by default - others will need third party software) you can fax directly from the PC by 'printing' to the fax software driver - http://www.gmayor.com/fax_from_word.htm -- <>>< ><...