Is it supported to change database collation

To change collaction of  a database (2005) you have to ALTER DATABASE,
with which you can change the default collation. And
ALTER TABLE with which you can change collation, column by column. The
last one requires that you drop indexes etc first.

I need to change collaction due to make sort order work for swedish
characters.

Is this supported or do i have to make a fresh install with correct
default collation and then make a custom program to export/import all
data.

// Mats

0
Langer
8/12/2006 4:26:32 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Hi,

Making database modifications, and therefore changing the collation, is
unsupported.

You need this because sorting is working incorrectly in the swedish version?
In this case you should open a call with Microsoft.

Hope this helps,

Ronald
--
Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP
Avanade Netherlands

"Langer" wrote:

> To change collaction of  a database (2005) you have to ALTER DATABASE,
> with which you can change the default collation. And
> ALTER TABLE with which you can change collation, column by column. The
> last one requires that you drop indexes etc first.
>
> I need to change collaction due to make sort order work for swedish
> characters.
>
> Is this supported or do i have to make a fresh install with correct
> default collation and then make a custom program to export/import all
> data.
>
> // Mats

Hi

Yes it's a problem with the sorting with swedish characters.

I need to move a test area with wrong collation to a new production
area. I plan to use the redeployment tool but this will not work
because " it's not supported to make database modifications".

Any ideas how to fix this problem?

Thanks!

// Mats

Ronald Lemmen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Making database modifications, and therefore changing the collation, is
> unsupported.
>
> You need this because sorting is working incorrectly in the swedish version?
> In this case you should open a call with Microsoft.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Ronald
> --
> Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP
> Avanade Netherlands
> http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/
>

> "Langer" wrote:
>

> > To change collaction of  a database (2005) you have to ALTER DATABASE,
> > with which you can change the default collation. And
> > ALTER TABLE with which you can change collation, column by column. The
> > last one requires that you drop indexes etc first.
> >
> > I need to change collaction due to make sort order work for swedish
> > characters.
> >
> > Is this supported or do i have to make a fresh install with correct
> > default collation and then make a custom program to export/import all
> > data.
> >
> > // Mats

0
Langer
8/13/2006 8:44:46 PM
When installing CRM it does set the database collation. Therefore it does not
matter how you set the collation before installing CRM, it will always end up
the wrong way.

There are two ways to go now:
1) Contact Microsoft (either via partnersource or customersource) to report
a bug and get the bug fixed

2) Forget the support model and just go ahead with your changes.

My guess is that you won't find issues when modifying the collation. The
only problem is that when you need MS for another issue, then they won't
help. Ofcourse I'd suggest the first way. You will help other swedish
customers with that as well.

Kind regards,
--

"Langer" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Yes it's a problem with the sorting with swedish characters.
>
> I need to move a test area with wrong collation to a new production
> area. I plan to use the redeployment tool but this will not work
> because " it's not supported to make database modifications".
>
> Any ideas how to fix this problem?
>
> Thanks!
>
> // Mats
>

> Ronald Lemmen wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Making database modifications, and therefore changing the collation, is
> > unsupported.
> >
> > You need this because sorting is working incorrectly in the swedish version?
> > In this case you should open a call with Microsoft.
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Ronald
> > --
> > Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP
> > Avanade Netherlands
> > http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/
> >

> > "Langer" wrote:
> >

> > > To change collaction of  a database (2005) you have to ALTER DATABASE,
> > > with which you can change the default collation. And
> > > ALTER TABLE with which you can change collation, column by column. The
> > > last one requires that you drop indexes etc first.
> > >
> > > I need to change collaction due to make sort order work for swedish
> > > characters.
> > >
> > > Is this supported or do i have to make a fresh install with correct
> > > default collation and then make a custom program to export/import all
> > > data.
> > >
> > > // Mats

Thanks Ronald,

But if the default collation of the new SQL 2005 database is
Finnish_Swedish_CI_AS, will the MS CRM installation still use
Latin1_General_CI_AS?

// Mats

0
Langer
8/14/2006 7:35:23 AM
Yes
--

"Langer" wrote:

> Thanks Ronald,
>
> But if the default collation of the new SQL 2005 database is
> Finnish_Swedish_CI_AS, will the MS CRM installation still use
> Latin1_General_CI_AS?
>
> // Mats
>

> Ronald Lemmen wrote:
> > When installing CRM it does set the database collation. Therefore it does not
> > matter how you set the collation before installing CRM, it will always end up
> > the wrong way.
> >
> > There are two ways to go now:
> > 1) Contact Microsoft (either via partnersource or customersource) to report
> > a bug and get the bug fixed
> >
> > 2) Forget the support model and just go ahead with your changes.
> >
> > My guess is that you won't find issues when modifying the collation. The
> > only problem is that when you need MS for another issue, then they won't
> > help. Ofcourse I'd suggest the first way. You will help other swedish
> > customers with that as well.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > --
> > Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP
> > Avanade Netherlands
> > http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/
> >

> > "Langer" wrote:
> >

> > > Hi
> > >
> > > Yes it's a problem with the sorting with swedish characters.
> > >
> > > I need to move a test area with wrong collation to a new production
> > > area. I plan to use the redeployment tool but this will not work
> > > because " it's not supported to make database modifications".
> > >
> > > Any ideas how to fix this problem?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > // Mats

Thanks Ronald,

If i use a swedish version on MS CRM the sorting is working, but we
will use an english version of MSCRM to work with swedish sorting and
now i understand this will not work or??

// Mats

Ronald Lemmen wrote:
> Yes
> --
> Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP
> Avanade Netherlands
> http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/
>

> "Langer" wrote:
>

> > Thanks Ronald,
> >
> > But if the default collation of the new SQL 2005 database is
> > Finnish_Swedish_CI_AS, will the MS CRM installation still use
> > Latin1_General_CI_AS?
> >
> > // Mats
> >

> > Ronald Lemmen wrote:
> > > When installing CRM it does set the database collation. Therefore it does not
> > > matter how you set the collation before installing CRM, it will always end up
> > > the wrong way.
> > >
> > > There are two ways to go now:
> > > 1) Contact Microsoft (either via partnersource or customersource) to report
> > > a bug and get the bug fixed
> > >
> > > 2) Forget the support model and just go ahead with your changes.
> > >
> > > My guess is that you won't find issues when modifying the collation. The
> > > only problem is that when you need MS for another issue, then they won't
> > > help. Ofcourse I'd suggest the first way. You will help other swedish
> > > customers with that as well.
> > >
> > > Kind regards,
> > > --
> > > Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP
> > > Avanade Netherlands
> > > http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/

0
Langer
8/14/2006 11:11:30 AM
The collation settings for the english version for the database is
Latin1_General_CI_AS. This cannot be changed (in a supported manner). I am
not aware of the default collation settings for a Swedish implementation. It
might be that the installation of CRM in swedish does set the collation to
Finnish_Swedish_CI_AS, but I am not sure.

I think it is not possible to use the english version with swedish
sorting... Installing an english crm and importing swedish customizations
won't work because the menu bar etc won't be changed...
--

"Langer" wrote:

> Thanks Ronald,
>
> If i use a swedish version on MS CRM the sorting is working, but we
> will use an english version of MSCRM to work with swedish sorting and
> now i understand this will not work or??
>
> // Mats
>
> Ronald Lemmen wrote:
> > Yes
> > --
> > Ronald Lemmen - MSCRM MVP
> > Avanade Netherlands
> > http://ronaldlemmen.blogspot.com/
> >

> > "Langer" wrote:
> >

> > > Thanks Ronald,
> > >
> > > But if the default collation of the new SQL 2005 database is
> > > Finnish_Swedish_CI_AS, will the MS CRM installation still use
> > > Latin1_General_CI_AS?
> > >
> > > // Mats

changing money
HI EVERY BODY I AM NEW IN HERE AND I REALLY NEEDS HELP IN THIS ...PLEASE HELP MR *set up a spreadsheet to calculate the amount of french franc you can buy.all the answers should be rounded to the nearest french franc . you have 1� equals 9.2754 franch franc* thanks a lot -- firouz ------------------------------------------------------------------------ firouz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35235 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=550105 ??? =1*9.2754 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr...

How to prevent item changed in a CListCtrl?
I use MFC Visual C++ 4.2. I have a CListCtrl in a Detailed View. Below the CListCtrl there are a few CEdits to display the value of each column. So it's kind of the data form. I need to do like this: If users has changed one of the CEdits BUT they haven't save the data and they want to change the selected item of the CListCtrl to other item, a confirmation message will appear to ask if the data they have been changed to be saved or not. There are 3 options: Yes: the data change is saved and the current focus is on the item user desired. No : the data change is NOT saved and th...

change date in a sql statement from a cell
Hello, I am using Excel 2007 I have a pivot table that gets refresh everyday. The data from the pivot table is based on a sql statement, which the data is connected to a AS/400 table. Here is my problem every morning I go in the connection properties and change the SQLstatement (date) in the command text. I don't want my user to do this. What other option can I do? I was thinking change the date in a cell (A1) and somehow the SQL statement picks up the new date or maybe some sort of parameter, but I am clueless in how to do this. Any tips or website to visit I will a...

Data labels: need value AND % change
I'm working on a series of column charts that show annual data for # sold, $ volume, average price, median price, etc. I want it to show the 2002 and 2003 values for each of these but I ALSO want to be able to show the % change between the 2, so we can see trends. So far, I only see that you can label the data with the value, or the percentage. I haven't seen how you can show the values AND the % change. Any ideas? I'd really appreciate it! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Create the desired label in a separate column (the 2003 price concatenated with t...

adding cross-functional flowchart changes page-layout
i would like to add to a "landscape" page a stencil>flowchart>cross-functional flowchart shapes vertical. when adding it the page converse automatically to a "portrait" page, while it should remain "landscape" the same happens if I add cross-functional flowchart shapes horizontal to a "portrait" page. it changes into a "landscape" page. can I avoid this? thx, kjetil I can't think of a way to avoid having the page orientation switch to portrait when you drop the functional band shape out and pick vertical. Visio automatically cha...

Changing to Outlook
I have been using Outlook Express and now have Outlook. Have been able to import address book and mail but emails are still coming to Express. How do I change things so they come to my Outlook inbox? Thanks You have to setup your account(s) in Outlook (Tools\Email Accounts in 2003) and then quit using Express. You can also import your mail, address book, and account settings from Express using the Outlook Import/Export tool (File\Import Export...). Afterward, you should delect your account in Express (Tools\Accounts\<select mail account>\Remove) so that you do not accidently do...

How change Sign-in Name?
I've been using Money for years. Recently I've changed my passport account email address because the old one will no longer be available to me in the near future. When starting Money, I entered the new email address and password and Money allows me to log in. However, the issue is, the next time I start Money, the old email address is back in there and I must enter the new email address every time I start Money. How can I change the Sign-in name to same the correct email address? (I tried File/Password Manager and it will show the new address... until I close and re-open mone...

manipulating CRM database directly
Hi, I would like to create a program to access the crm metabase database for updating the callout subscriber settings. Currently the metabase database name is adventure_cylcle_works_metabase. How can i get the database name for the same for any crm installation. Will it be of the pattern <<CRM_Organization_Name>>_Metabase In that case where and how will I get the name of the organization. I guess, from the active directory. If so what is the attribute that i need to ask for. it would be great if I get the connectionstring for crm metabase database using with the SqlConnectio...

Net Framework 2.0 is not supported with Microsoft CRM Connector fo
Has anyone been successful installing the 2.0 framework on the CRM server when using the GP connector? The documentation states: Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 is not supported with Microsoft CRM Connector for Microsoft Dynamics GP Does this mean I cannot install the framework on the CRM server, or the integration server, or both? I'd like to upgrade our web server to SharePoint 3.0, but I cannot because CRM is on the same device. Is there a service pack to fix this problem, or has anyone found a way around it? ..NET 1.1 and 2.0 applications should be able to work on the same mac...

CRM database archiving process
I would like to see, and I have talked to others who would like to see, a Microsoft supported Archiving process where we can select the archiving time for each entity seperately. It would be nice to be able to set different archiving times as our different departments require different lengths of times to archive for the entites they are working with. Thank You, ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see...

Copy data between access databases with slightly different structures
If I have 2 databases with some differences in table structure, 1 is fully populated and the other empty, how can I copy only the matching fields data from one to the other? Are there any utilities available for this? See if this is what you want. Open one database and create a link to the table in the other database. Then create an append query. You can choose the fields you want to append, leaving the other fields alone and/or use criteria to chose what records you want to append. -- Joseph E. Meehan 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math "Partha Mandayam" <partha@partha...

Reconciliation Database
Hi, I just want to get some thoughts on the best way to handle the following. I'm going to be reconciling account holdings between one system and various sources where they are held. I've got a query which does the basic reconciliation which I've now based a form off. The idea is for the user to open this form, can see where any Differences are above zero (calculated in the query), enter any reconciliation amounts in one field, enter notes in another field and then a calculated field would just be the difference minus the reconciliation amount. Thus for example, If the differenc...

Shared User Issue When Opening Database
I have an issue this afternoon which, I feel probably isn't directly related to Access, but would be grateful for guidance if anyone has experienced this before. I have a database (default open mode - shared) which, this afternoon, won't allow a second user to open it. If a second user tries to open the database a message box is displayed quoting the path of the database file plus "The parameter is incorrect" The database is located on a shared folder on our network. Thanks for any assistance. Dave ONLY the data should be on a shared folder, not th...

Changing Outlook 2002 email "From" field without the "on behalf of" text
I occassionally want to send emails from an address different to my standard email account. I'd prefer not to have to change the email account details on these occassions. I have the "From" field in my New Mail template which I populate with a contact showing the email address I want the email from. Unfortunately, when the email arrives it appears as From: [mailto:myEmailAccountAddress] On Behalf Of myDesiredTemporaryFromAddress I've searched my Outlook settings and the MS site but cannot see how to get rid of this undesired annotation i.e. "[mailto:myEmail...

Pick list width changes by itself...why?
I have some columns with the width 4. Sometimes the validation pick list is wide like 40 and sometimes it is only as wide as the column. I already know there's code to temp make the column wider when you click on it. But this behaviour of the pick list sometimes appearing much wider than the column makes me think there's something influencing the width of the pick list itself. Is there some way to control the width of the pick list without changing the width of the column or is what I'm seeing occur just an Excel bug? Thanks, Joe M. ...

How to change appearance of the links, pointing to subdocuments in the master document
Hi, I want to change the appearance of the links, which are pointing to subdocuments in the master document (Word 2003). Specifically I want those links to look more descriptive with regards to their contents - specifically making those links to appear like those are entries in the Table Of Contents (like it would be looking if those subdocuments were just paragraphs in the single monolitic document). Please note that I DO NOT want to rename the filenames of those subdocuments - I just want to change the appearance of the links to those documents, in the way I already described above....

Excel should have a "Change Case..." menu Item like Word!!
See the subject, I know you can set up a formula to do it I want a button! PLEASE, for years I've just wanted to change case on the fly, YEARS! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=3c7554c...

connecting to the RMS database
Hello all! I have a noobie question. We are quoting a job for a company that currenlty has two stores, each with its own RMS. They want us to create a couple of things. Number one: A single tool that will submit information to both a RMS database and an access database. I was thinking I would write a standalone app to connect the two, that way removing any possible race conditions (duplicate info). Is the RMS database ODBC compliant? I think I have seen that it is, how easy is this to do? Number two: They have a web site that they want to have e-commerce functionality. That means tha...

Change Display Order in Charts
I have an X-Y chart with a cloud of points and a line. When the chart plots, the line is always hidden behind the cloud of points. Can I bring the line to the top so it becomes visible? I tried making the line first and last, but it always ends up behind the cloud. Thank you. Lines for a given chart group (group of data series) are plotted behind points of that same chart group in an XY chart. However, you can change the chart group by changing the axis on which the chart group is plotted. Make the plot with one series formatted as markers only and another as lines only, double cli...

Access Database Files Are Blocked
After downloaded a security patch I can no longer receive Access database file as attachements (MDB Files). Does anyone know a workaround? Jack Depends on the version and Service Patch but check out http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm "Jack Henslee" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:117e901c3f4be$6e950790$a501280a@phx.gbl... > After downloaded a security patch I can no longer receive > Access database file as attachements (MDB Files). Does > anyone know a workaround? > > Jack ...

How do I calculate the change in stock price in excel.
How do I calculate the change in stock price from the previous day. Put yesterday's price in cell A1 and today's price in cell A2. In cell A3 put the formula: =A2-A1 -- Gary's Student "Knowledge001" wrote: > How do I calculate the change in stock price from the previous day. ...

best database to use for multiple attendence at meetings
I need a database which lists a group attending meeteings weekly for 2 years and the date on which they attended alsoif they were overnight or day only attendees. thank you. Access will work fine. "peggysue43" wrote: > I need a database which lists a group attending meeteings weekly for 2 years > and the date on which they attended alsoif they were overnight or day only > attendees. > thank you. Peggy Sue. You've stated your need. Are we to assume that you expect "someone" to donate that database to you? Or do you want a template...

Linking to a web database
Hello, I was wondering if anybody knew how to connect up powerpoint to a web database, such as an SQL database on a web server! The purpose would be to upload quiz results, at the moment i have them going into an access database, but want to put them into a web database if anyone could help i would much appreciated that Nick In article <edd9037d-616d-492b-bb71- 97eba08dd97e@j14g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>, Nickooo87 wrote: > Hello, > > I was wondering if anybody knew how to connect up powerpoint to a web > database, such as an SQL database on a web server! T...

Rules not working after profile change
1. I created a new mail profile to solve problem of email stuck in Outbox. 2, After re-starting Outlook, Rules to flag email and put in Alert window no longer work. 3. In Rules Wizard '(for other machine)' now appears after each Rule Name iin Wizard's first screen. 4. "On this Machine' is checked in options. Any ideas on how to get the rules to work again without redefining them? Thanks. Alan Unless you can open the old profile and remove the 'this machine only' tag, or remove it from the rule, you]'ll need to make new rules. -- Diane Poremsky [M...

Echange 5.5 Database
We would like to increase our users information store size from 100mb to 300mb. I am wondering if this will cuase an issue with the database size growing to large. As of today do you know of the database limitatin size with Echange 5.5 not enough information...for starters, what version of 5.5? enterprise or standard? how many mailboxes? how large is your priv.edb now? how large is the drive it's on and how much free space on the drive? How long do your backups take, now? how long does it take to restore it? how long can you afford to have it take? "Colleen Martoccio&qu...