Is direct database access ok as CRM customization?

Hi everyone,
if i directly access CRM database through sql query, which is just a SELECT
query. Is this OK by Microsoft standards as i am not doing any insertion or
updation in database.
Waiting...

uMar Khan
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Hi,
What are you using the SELECT statements for????
I think that any modification directly to the SQL MSCRM database without
using a web service via the metabase is un-supported.  But I am pretty sure
that if you used a SELECT just to look up data without modification to the
data in the table then that should be supported.  hth

Regards,
Nathan

"uMar Khan" wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> if i directly access CRM database through sql query, which is just a SELECT
> query. Is this OK by Microsoft standards as i am not doing any insertion or
> updation in database.
> Waiting...
>
> uMar Khan
Only directly updating the Microsoft CRM SQL databases is unsupported. It is
perfectly legal to read the database using select statements etc and in fact
is a good way to learn the structure of the database.

Note that some simple updates can be performed like updating telephone
numbers etc but the recommendation is always tread with caution and always
make full backups of the CRM database just to be on the safe side.

Lastly sometimes direct reads of the database can be used in preference to
using the Microsoft CRM SDK to read all accounts for example.

--
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP

"uMar Khan" <uMarKhan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi everyone,
> if i directly access CRM database through sql query, which is just a
SELECT
> query. Is this OK by Microsoft standards as i am not doing any insertion
or
> updation in database.
> Waiting...
>
> uMar Khan

0
John
8/2/2005 5:47:03 AM
Hi All,
Thanx John. It was very helpful. Can you please refer me some Microsoft
material, some site reference or some article which i could refer to somebody
else to get this point authenticated.

Thanx
uMar Khan

"John O'Donnell" wrote:

> Only directly updating the Microsoft CRM SQL databases is unsupported. It is
> perfectly legal to read the database using select statements etc and in fact
> is a good way to learn the structure of the database.
>
> Note that some simple updates can be performed like updating telephone
> numbers etc but the recommendation is always tread with caution and always
> make full backups of the CRM database just to be on the safe side.
>
> Lastly sometimes direct reads of the database can be used in preference to
> using the Microsoft CRM SDK to read all accounts for example.
>

> --
> John O'Donnell
> Microsoft CRM MVP
> http://www.mscrmfaq.us
>

> "uMar Khan" <uMarKhan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi everyone,
> > if i directly access CRM database through sql query, which is just a
> SELECT
> > query. Is this OK by Microsoft standards as i am not doing any insertion
> or
> > updation in database.
> > Waiting...
> >
> > uMar Khan

I believe there is an articles on partnersource that says direct sql updates
are not supported but of course you would need access to partnersource to
get it so its not publicly available

--

> Hi All,
> Thanx John. It was very helpful. Can you please refer me some Microsoft
> material, some site reference or some article which i could refer to
somebody
> else to get this point authenticated.
>
> Thanx
> uMar Khan
>
> "John O'Donnell" wrote:
>
> > Only directly updating the Microsoft CRM SQL databases is unsupported.
It is
> > perfectly legal to read the database using select statements etc and in
fact
> > is a good way to learn the structure of the database.
> >
> > Note that some simple updates can be performed like updating telephone
> > numbers etc but the recommendation is always tread with caution and
always
> > make full backups of the CRM database just to be on the safe side.
> >
> > Lastly sometimes direct reads of the database can be used in preference
> > using the Microsoft CRM SDK to read all accounts for example.
> >

> > --
> > John O'Donnell
> > Microsoft CRM MVP
> > http://www.mscrmfaq.us
> >

> > "uMar Khan" <uMarKhan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi everyone,
> > > if i directly access CRM database through sql query, which is just a
> > SELECT
> > > query. Is this OK by Microsoft standards as i am not doing any
insertion
> > or
> > > updation in database.
> > > Waiting...
> > >
> > > uMar Khan

0
John
8/2/2005 4:35:24 PM
John you are very helpful. Thanx again.
i am a lucky guy. i got access on partnersource website. I know many places
which says updates not allowed.

Please refer me something which says simple SELECT statment on CRM database
is allowed.

thanx
uMar Khan

"John O'Donnell" wrote:

> I believe there is an articles on partnersource that says direct sql updates
> are not supported but of course you would need access to partnersource to
> get it so its not publicly available
>
> --
> John O'Donnell
> Microsoft CRM MVP
> http://www.mscrmfaq.us
>

> "uMar Khan" <uMarKhan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> > Thanx John. It was very helpful. Can you please refer me some Microsoft
> > material, some site reference or some article which i could refer to
> somebody
> > else to get this point authenticated.
> >
> > Thanx
> > uMar Khan
> >
> > "John O'Donnell" wrote:
> >
> > > Only directly updating the Microsoft CRM SQL databases is unsupported.
> It is
> > > perfectly legal to read the database using select statements etc and in
> fact
> > > is a good way to learn the structure of the database.
> > >
> > > Note that some simple updates can be performed like updating telephone
> > > numbers etc but the recommendation is always tread with caution and
> always
> > > make full backups of the CRM database just to be on the safe side.
> > >
> > > Lastly sometimes direct reads of the database can be used in preference
> > > using the Microsoft CRM SDK to read all accounts for example.
> > >

> > > --
> > > John O'Donnell
> > > Microsoft CRM MVP
> > > http://www.mscrmfaq.us
> > >

> > > "uMar Khan" <uMarKhan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > SELECT
> insertion
> > > or

this article implies SELECT's are allowed. This is the closest thing you
will find.

Writing directly to the Microsoft CRM SQL server database is not supported
(822722)
SUMMARY
You cannot write directly to the Microsoft Customer Relationship Management
(CRM) SQL server database.

The following operations that are performed directly to the Microsoft CRM
SQL database are not supported: triggers, stored procedures, ODBC
connections with other applications, create, read, update or delete
operations.
MORE INFORMATION
The Microsoft CRM software development kit (SDK) documents the supported
methods for customizing the Microsoft CRM application beyond the
customization tools that are provided in the application. The SDK documents
all the entities and methods that can be used to take advantage of the power
of the CRM class library.

The Microsoft Business Solutions CRM SDK is now available on the Microsoft
Developer Network (MSDN). This SDK contains many resources that are designed
to help you build powerful vertical applications by using Microsoft CRM. The
documentation provides a wide range of instructive and practical information
and includes the following:
  a.. a comprehensive class library reference
  b.. conceptual overviews
  c.. integration details
  d.. database schemas
  e.. sample code