Importing Contacts linked with accounts

Hi,

I do not succed in importing contacts linked with accounts.
I use the bulk import wizard tool. (I have 1000 contact to import)

1/ I import first accounts (name + adresses)
2/ Then I import contacts. I try to link contacts with the account name.
(parent Account field). I try to link the contact with accounts using the
name of "Parent Account" name.

But this fails. I cannot import anything

How can I create a link between Accounts and contact with the Bulk import
wizard ?

Thank you for your help.

Pascal

0
alambiki
4/14/2006 8:30:49 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

One way of doing this is to try something like this:
1.  Go to SQL Enterprise Manager
2.  Export your Account Database into an Excel Spreadsheet
3.  Copy that worksheet to the same one that you have your contacts stored
4.  You should now have two tabs (one for your contacts you need to import
and the other for your exported CRM Accounts)
5.  Do a Vlookup formulua in Excel to match the account name from one
worksheet to the other and then pull in the "AcccountID" field into your
worksheet which stores your Contact information
6.  Save this as a CSV file
7.  Import it in and make sure you map your column with the AccountID Guid
to the parent account field.

This should work for you.

I know it's a lot of steps; however, an Account in CRM is not identified by
the application by using its name.  It is only identified (programmatically,
of course) by the GUID assigned by CRM to that Account.

Make sense?

"alambiki" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I do not succed in importing contacts linked with accounts.
> I use the bulk import wizard tool. (I have 1000 contact to import)
>
> 1/ I import first accounts (name + adresses)
> 2/ Then I import contacts. I try to link contacts with the account name.
> (parent Account field). I try to link the contact with accounts using the
> name of "Parent Account" name.
>
> But this fails. I cannot import anything
>
> How can I create a link between Accounts and contact with the Bulk import
> wizard ?
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Pascal

yes, thank you for your help.
I'll try this week and let you know

"Josh Behl" <JoshBehl@discussions.microsoft.com> a �crit dans le message de
news: 2065634D-C741-4EDE-A40F-CC2C07EE688F@microsoft.com...
> One way of doing this is to try something like this:
> 1.  Go to SQL Enterprise Manager
> 2.  Export your Account Database into an Excel Spreadsheet
> 3.  Copy that worksheet to the same one that you have your contacts stored
> 4.  You should now have two tabs (one for your contacts you need to import
> and the other for your exported CRM Accounts)
> 5.  Do a Vlookup formulua in Excel to match the account name from one
> worksheet to the other and then pull in the "AcccountID" field into your
> worksheet which stores your Contact information
> 6.  Save this as a CSV file
> 7.  Import it in and make sure you map your column with the AccountID Guid
> to the parent account field.
>
> This should work for you.
>
> I know it's a lot of steps; however, an Account in CRM is not identified
> by
> the application by using its name.  It is only identified
> (programmatically,
> of course) by the GUID assigned by CRM to that Account.
>
> Make sense?
>
> "alambiki" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I do not succed in importing contacts linked with accounts.
>> I use the bulk import wizard tool. (I have 1000 contact to import)
>>
>> 1/ I import first accounts (name + adresses)
>> 2/ Then I import contacts. I try to link contacts with the account name.
>> (parent Account field). I try to link the contact with accounts using the
>> name of "Parent Account" name.
>>
>> But this fails. I cannot import anything
>>
>> How can I create a link between Accounts and contact with the Bulk import
>> wizard ?
>>
>> Thank you for your help.
>>
>> Pascal

0