Import Contacts from Outlook to CRM 3

Has anyone been able to do this successfully? Route we've been going is:

Export from Outlook to csv
Try to import csv
have countless error messages (usually the number of columns in the rows is
different than number in hearder row). This seems to be because outlook
exports address fields with Return characters between lines - but even
stripping these out we still have lots or problems (e.g. "source file is
corrupt") messages

Anyone?

0
Roger
1/13/2006 5:52:20 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

You will get the source files is corrupt type messages if you data contains
weird characters.

I would export to a csv then import into excel. insert an additional column
at the end of your data with dummy data like xxx then save to csv.

now open the csv in notepad and replace all ,xxx with nothing to strip off
the last column.

now try reimport

=========================
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP
http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm

"Roger" <roger_id@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Has anyone been able to do this successfully? Route we've been going is:
>
> Export from Outlook to csv
> Try to import csv
> have countless error messages (usually the number of columns in the rows
> is different than number in hearder row). This seems to be because outlook
> exports address fields with Return characters between lines - but even
> stripping these out we still have lots or problems (e.g. "source file is
> corrupt") messages
>
> Anyone?

0
John
1/14/2006 5:51:58 AM
Hi John

I've tried what you suggest but with no success sadly. If its a csv file it
always says file is corrupt (I've even put it through a csv parser which
confirms the file is not corrupt at all) - if I try it as tab separated txt
file instead then it imports some of the contacts but then either says
number of columns does not match header or some other error message re: Data
is out of Range.

This is pretty disastrous as an end-user experience and a mess for us to
sort out it seems. I'm perplexed as to whether its only us having this
problem or other people have it too but no other discussion on newsgroups?

Is there anything else we can try?

Roger
"John O'Donnell" <csharpconsulting@nospam-hotmail.com-nospam> wrote in
message news:ejZGMcNGGHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> You will get the source files is corrupt type messages if you data
> contains weird characters.
>
> I would export to a csv then import into excel. insert an additional
> column at the end of your data with dummy data like xxx then save to csv.
>
> now open the csv in notepad and replace all ,xxx with nothing to strip off
> the last column.
>
> now try reimport
>

> =========================
> John O'Donnell
> Microsoft CRM MVP
> http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm
>
> "Roger" <roger_id@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone been able to do this successfully? Route we've been going is:
>>
>> Export from Outlook to csv
>> Try to import csv
>> have countless error messages (usually the number of columns in the rows
>> is different than number in hearder row). This seems to be because
>> outlook exports address fields with Return characters between lines - but
>> even stripping these out we still have lots or problems (e.g. "source
>> file is corrupt") messages
>>
>> Anyone?

0
Roger
1/16/2006 11:43:01 AM
Roger I've found that sometimes Excel will save a file with extraneous data
from cells that you do not want included in the export.

To get around this, I always do a FILE-PRINT AREA-SET PRINT AREA and then
manually delete the rows and columns outside of my desired range, up to the
end of the XLS, just to be safe.

That's usually solved the problem for me.  If that doesn't fix it, you might
also want to be sure that you don't have + or any other unsupported
characters in your file, and that it's saved in UTF-8 format.  You can
insure this by opening the CSV file in Notepad and insuring that it's saving
with Unicode or UTF-8 encoding (ANSI is the default).

Daniel.

> Hi John
>
> I've tried what you suggest but with no success sadly. If its a csv file
> it always says file is corrupt (I've even put it through a csv parser
> which confirms the file is not corrupt at all) - if I try it as tab
> separated txt file instead then it imports some of the contacts but then
> either says number of columns does not match header or some other error
> message re: Data is out of Range.
>
> This is pretty disastrous as an end-user experience and a mess for us to
> sort out it seems. I'm perplexed as to whether its only us having this
> problem or other people have it too but no other discussion on newsgroups?
>
> Is there anything else we can try?
>
> Roger
> "John O'Donnell" <csharpconsulting@nospam-hotmail.com-nospam> wrote in
> message news:ejZGMcNGGHA.524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> You will get the source files is corrupt type messages if you data
>> contains weird characters.
>>
>> I would export to a csv then import into excel. insert an additional
>> column at the end of your data with dummy data like xxx then save to csv.
>>
>> now open the csv in notepad and replace all ,xxx with nothing to strip
>> off the last column.
>>
>> now try reimport
>>

>> =========================
>> John O'Donnell
>> Microsoft CRM MVP
>> http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm
>>
>> "Roger" <roger_id@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Has anyone been able to do this successfully? Route we've been going is:
>>>
>>> Export from Outlook to csv
>>> Try to import csv
>>> have countless error messages (usually the number of columns in the rows
>>> is different than number in hearder row). This seems to be because
>>> outlook exports address fields with Return characters between lines -
>>> but even stripping these out we still have lots or problems (e.g.
>>> "source file is corrupt") messages
>>>
>>> Anyone?

0
Daniel

Crystal Reports not showing in 3.0
We've installed CRM 3.0 and finally got the SQL Reporting Service working. We can now click on reports without getting an error message. However, there are no reports displaying. Is there some additional setup that we need to do? I understand there is supposed to be like 150 canned reports. Where are they? Please help! Can anyone tell me how the canned reports get installed and where they are located? What database? "Barbi Dorin" wrote: > We've installed CRM 3.0 and finally got the SQL Reporting Service working. We > can now click on reports without getting an ...

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

pop3 #3
My outlook express hasnt been working since I got my new Dell computer. It says that the "POP3" isnt connected so i cant receive or send e-mail!!! HELP!! How do i fix this problem? I've tried calling Dell and Microsoft and have waited hours on the phone and have not gotten any assistance! Who is your ISP/mail host? Seems like you might want to contact them for support. I presume you can get to the Internet just fine.... rose wrote: > My outlook express hasnt been working since I got my new > Dell computer. It says that the "POP3" isnt connected so > i ca...

Crash on 'Send"

Outlook needs Outlook Express to work

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Outlook 2003

cant start outlook pst file to large

Outlook "Ruler" won't go away

Importing leads and workflow
We are just implementing CRM and have a couple of lead lists that we want to import (about 5000 records). The sales force would like calls automatically scheduled when the list is imported and would only like 50 calls scheduled per week. I know that I can assign leads based on various criteria to the correct salesperson. However, is there any way that I can create the phone activities and only limit to 50 per week? Does workflow look at the salesperson work schedule at all or will each sales person have 1000 phone calls scheduled for 3 days from when I import? There isn't anything in ...

Reminders in Outlook

Outlook default to paragraph

Office 2003, Outlook (Outlook Today)...

Outlook Express 6 w/multiple accounts

outlook 98 corperate forms

Moving Contacts to Outlook Address Book

CRM tools
Hi, I'm working with CRM, and i listening about many tools that i didn't find. Example CRMDiag and more patches that repair a lot of knowed errors and warrings. Anybody know an url to download them? thanks Hello, If you have any problems with your CRM deployment you can issue a support call to Microsoft Dynamics. They will supply you with these tools if this is needed to resolve the case. Best regards, Merijn van Mourik "makeio" wrote: > Hi, > > I'm working with CRM, and i listening about many tools that i didn't > find. Example CRMDiag and mor...

Import from Eudora 6 to Outlook 2003

OutLook and Notes co-existing.

Outlook OOF