HOWTO: Customizing CRM - include auto-number field?

Hello,

We would like to customize our CRM Opportunity form. We want to
include a OpportunityNumber field, which will be auto-generated when
the new opportunity is created, similar to auto-numbers for Contracts,
Cases, Articles, Quotes, etc. Is it possible and how do we go about
it?

I've looked at CRM Deployment Manager. It's possible to create a
simple custom Attribute for particular object. But I couldn't figure
out how to make it an auto-generated number, like SQLServer
Identity... Could I just modify OpportunityBase table in MSCRM
database? Do I need to change METABASE database too?.. Or should we
consider modifying Opportunity aspx page?..

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Dmitri
0
mitmed
6/4/2004 3:49:59 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

It may be possible to use post callouts to generate the number and then
populate the opportunity with the number

"mitmed" <mitmed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> We would like to customize our CRM Opportunity form. We want to
> include a OpportunityNumber field, which will be auto-generated when
> the new opportunity is created, similar to auto-numbers for Contracts,
> Cases, Articles, Quotes, etc. Is it possible and how do we go about
> it?
>
> I've looked at CRM Deployment Manager. It's possible to create a
> simple custom Attribute for particular object. But I couldn't figure
> out how to make it an auto-generated number, like SQLServer
> Identity... Could I just modify OpportunityBase table in MSCRM
> database? Do I need to change METABASE database too?.. Or should we
> consider modifying Opportunity aspx page?..
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
> Dmitri

0
John
6/4/2004 4:47:52 AM
Watch out for deadlock and transactional issues around this though. Don't
follow the original MSDN callout documentation that shows a call directly
back into the platform during the callout - use the more recent MSMQ-based
version. You'll have yourself a lot of hassle in the long run.

"John O'Donnell" <csharpconsulting@nospam-hotmail.com-nospam> wrote in
message news:O60rZ8eSEHA.2692@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> It may be possible to use post callouts to generate the number and then
> populate the opportunity with the number
>

> "mitmed" <mitmed@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > We would like to customize our CRM Opportunity form. We want to
> > include a OpportunityNumber field, which will be auto-generated when
> > the new opportunity is created, similar to auto-numbers for Contracts,
> > Cases, Articles, Quotes, etc. Is it possible and how do we go about
> > it?
> >
> > I've looked at CRM Deployment Manager. It's possible to create a
> > simple custom Attribute for particular object. But I couldn't figure
> > out how to make it an auto-generated number, like SQLServer
> > Identity... Could I just modify OpportunityBase table in MSCRM
> > database? Do I need to change METABASE database too?.. Or should we
> > consider modifying Opportunity aspx page?..
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dmitri

0
Mj

If I want to buid a simple database for customer details, should I use Excel or Access?
I want to buid up a database for store detailed information of customers. The key words would be contained Customer's name, contact, visited time, email address links ( That can be easily used for sending emails). I wonder which program is better, Excel or Access? I am thinking that Excel is more common to use. And If I set up Excel, its data can be imported to Access. There are two clues here. The first is "database" - Access is the database application. The second is that, in spite of that, you fancy Excel, probably because you are more comfortable with Excel. It is yo...

TO field blank in Outlook 2003 intermittently
Other people have had this problem, but I've yet to find a solution. When sending new messages, replying to messages, etc. Outlook 2003 users will send messages that are missing the TO field information on receipt. If they check Sent Items, the TO fields are also blank. Sometimes if sending to three people, one will show or none. No rhyme or reason to it. Using Exchange 5.5 SP4, btw, which seems to be a common theme. Will this happen when you use Outlook 2003 on a stand alone computer. Check out if this happens only when you have Outlook in an exchange server environment. If t...

CRM 3.0 and Web Site Alert email
I installed CRM 30 SBE on our SBS Premium box and it installed fine. It seems to be functional too, even the reports. But i have been getting an email warning: Web Site Alert from SBS 2003 stating: "http://SERVER:5555/MSCRMServices request failed: Critical condition. HTTP Status: 400 Bad Request Response Time (msec): 0. (WMI Status: 0 )" It sends me the email every 3 minutes. I also tried accessing this URL and i get: HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden Internet Explorer error message stating: You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you su...

how do I add numbers in list of columns
entered numbers in columns of excel and want to total them going horizontal and vertical to get grand total for each column. Can you explain how to do this? For e.g. You enter 1-10 in A1-A10 You enter 11-20 in B1-B10 So, in A11, you type SUM(A1:A10) to get Column Grand total and copy it to B11 to get Grand column total for B And, you type SUM(A1:B1) in C1, to get Row Grand Total and copy it to C2 to C10 to get all Row Grand total Hope this helps. "Amadauss" wrote: > entered numbers in columns of excel and want to total them going horizontal > and vertical to get gr...

Outlook or CRM
I own a small company and need a Customer Relationship Management software system. Looking at Microsoft CRM as well as Outlook 2003 Beta software. We are a small shop - 9 employees. Seems the new Outlook and CRM are very close to each other - Outlook is low-cost, CRM is high. I'm worried Outlook will stop building CRM functionality in it and turn it over to CRM. Any advice? ...

"Customize Outlook Today" button does not work.
My "Customize Outlook Today" button does not work or do anything. I am using Outlook 2000. Can anyone help? Thanks, -Ricardo See the foolowing KB article; http://support.microsoft.com/?id=820575 -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Creating Signatures -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Ricardo" <Ricardo993@comcast.net> wrote in message news:108ff01c4400a$54553f20$a001280a@phx.gbl... > My "Customize Outlook Today" button does not work or do > anything. I am using Outlook 2000. Can anyone help?...

custom toolbar commands disappear
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I spent 2 hours adding and removing commands from the toolbar and now they are gone. It's back to the default. Is this because I'm on a trial? ...

Custom Build (VC6)
I have in my Custom Build set output as: ...\..\src\MyApp\MyFile.h but, it still puts file in project (.dsp) root folder and not in "..\..\src\MyApp\". :-( "Petar Popara" <my.fake@mail.net> wrote in message news:e5At$D8zEHA.1300@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > > I have in my Custom Build set output as: > > ..\..\src\MyApp\MyFile.h > > but, it still puts file in project (.dsp) root folder and not in > "..\..\src\MyApp\". > I beleive the output path needs to be a folder not a file like "MyFile.h" so try ju...

Synching after customizations doesn't push out to SFO???
I made some changes to the layout via web access. I published and reset IIS. I went online then off with Sales for Outlook. I do not see the changes. Is there a procedure to make the changes come through? Or do you really have to uninstall and reinstall Sales for Outlook EVERY time you make a change to your layout? What if it is just one new field? Or changing the label for a field? Thanks! You need to clear your Outlook forms cache. >-----Original Message----- >I made some changes to the layout via web access. >I published and reset IIS. >I went online then off with Sales ...

CRM 3.0 Installation help...2 errors
Going through the system requirements part of the setup I get a Warning on the IIS part. It cant access the URL-- Error accessing URL http://IRONWOOD-CRM: The remote server returned an error: (500) Internal Server Error. The second error I get is : Setup failed to validate specified Reporting Services Report Server http://ironwood-crm/ReportServer. Error: Client found response content type of 'text/html; charset=utf-8', but expected 'text/xml'. Chris Holub MCP CCNA 1. Check your IIS and default CRM virtual directory is there issue accecing, can you send me detail or s...

Search Performance & Indexing
Hi there, Does anyone know what the search performance is like with a few hundred thousand records on a custom 'account number' field? The out-of-box deployment indexes a few fields, and I am assuming it is unsupported to change these indexes. I have read through the performance papers from Microsoft and they have benchmark tested against few million records without any issues - but primarily these searches were done on out-of box fields. Any thoughts and advise on this would be greatly appreciated. ...

count based on another field
I have a table in my database which records when a case is marked by an assessor. The table shows the case number, the assessor ID that the case has been assigned to and also an indicator to determine whether or not the case is closed. I need the query to show: The assessor ID number The number of cases assigned to a particular assessor the number of cases assigned to a particular assessor that are incomplete The first two are fine, however, how do I limit the last part of the query to show only the cases assigned to each assessor? thanks <barrynichols@gmail.com> wrote in message...

Only show one name of DL in To Field
I would like to use a distribution list and when the recipients receive the message have them only see their name in the To field and no one elses. Is this possible. Thanks Have you tried just putting the distribution list in the Bcc (blind carbon copy) field. If it isn't showing click View > Bcc field "Ann" <trotto@beckercollege.edu> wrote in message news:123e01c3c3f4$ba55fd60$3101280a@phx.gbl... > I would like to use a distribution list and when the > recipients receive the message have them only see their > name in the To field and no one elses. Is this...

sorts query while including <all> at top of list
I have a combobox whose data source is this query, which sorts the records correctly: SELECT FixtureTypesNoProject.Type FROM FixtureTypesNoProject ORDER BY IIf(InStr(FixtureTypesNoProject.Type,"-")=0,Len(FixtureTypesNoProject.type),InStr(FixtureTypesNoProject.type,"-")-1), IIf(InStr(FixtureTypesNoProject.type,"EM")=0,[FixtureTypesNoProject.Type],Replace([FixtureTypesNoProject.Type],"EM","0")) ; however, when I add the following (to include the <all> word at the top of the combolist...) it no longer sorts UNION Select &q...

Any news on when MSCRM will allow custom entity creation/addition?
To my chagrin I just learned that MSCRM does not allow for custom entitiy creation, nor does it allow for me to create a custom table (ie AccountProducts). I my mind this is a MAJOR shortcoming of the software. I have implemented countless numbers of mid-market implementations using SalesLogix and we used the ability to create 1-M tables off of the base entities much of the time. Please tell me I am missing something here, this is going to cause me a lot of pain. If I am accurate, does anyone have any info on the roadmap of the product, and when this shortcomming might be corrected? Jake ...

How to Export the Primary SMTP address from both Mailboxes and Custome Recipients
As above, can get an export file with several smtp address, but primarily i'm looking to export all mailboxes and custom recipients so they contain, among other things, the primary smtp address. Thing is i've forgotten how this is done. Does anyone know what the attribute name should be? Thanks in advance For mailboxes, it's "Email Addresses". For a custom recipient I think it's "Email address". Just do a standard export and examine the CSV file - they should both be default values. -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check...

CRM/Help Desk Software
Does Microsoft have a CRM solution comparable to Remedy Help Desk or Avaya. If someone can assist it would be greatly appreciated. CB Hi Carleton, I'm not aware of a Microsoft helpdesk but if you are simply just looking for alternatives, we are using a product called ieSupportManager. If you do a search on Google you will find the website. A free trial version is available which is fully functional. We purchased two copies. We use one for helpdesk / issue tracking and we use the other copy for bug tracking and defect tracking ( although it is primarily a helpdesk product ). There i...

Exchange Certificate HowTo
I am looking for a howto on implementing Verisign Certificates into the Exchange environment. Currently all of our users have Digital ID's from Verisign to encrypt e-mail messages. We attempted to install these certificates into Outlook 2003 with no luck. When sending to user while attempting to encrypt it says that we are unable to send encrypted mail to this user even though we have his/her digital ID locally. My question involves how to get the server to recognize the certificates or how to enable exchange to see the certificates. We are using WIn2003 SBS with Exchange 2003 and on the c...

Need help setting up fields on a liquor store import file.
What is the best way to set up the fields on the excel sheet (import) for a liquor store. Should I put the size of the bottle with the extended description or should i put the size in the sub description? I also have sku's (item lookup codes) for each child item but do not have one for the parent (a case of the product). How should I handle this? Do I make up my own lookup codes or should i just not use the parent child relationship and store everything as a child? What benefits does each one have? I always include the size in the primary description field. I always keep the d...

Sorting numbered system that relies on decimals
eg. This is the result I am looking for: TS-501.9.8 TS-501.9.9 TS-501.9.10 TS-501.9.11 TS-501.10.1 TS-501.10.2 TS-501.11.1 This is the result I am getting: TS-501.10.1 TS-501.10.2 TS-501.11.1 TS-501.9.10 TS-501.9.11 TS-501.9.8 TS-501.9.9 As you can see the numbers between the dots ascend from 1, however excel takes them as decimals (eg 0.1 = 0.10 = 0.100). Suggestions appreciated! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi It's possible to do using helping column, and a huge formula in it. But why not to convert your column into form TS-501.09.08 etc. Then you haven'...

format numbers #2
I have a list of audio books in an excel 2003 spreadsheet. One column should show the duration of the book in this format: 8 hrs 23 mins. But what shows in the column is a 5 digit number, such as 54463 as an example. I cannot figure out how to format this column to translate this number into the hrs and mins of the actual book. Could someone please tell me how to do this? Thanks for your help Joanne Joanne Where does this number come from? It does not seem to relate to 8 hours 23 minutes at all (eg it isn't the total minutes for example or seconds). What is the source of this informa...

Sorting page numbers
Is there a simple way of sorting pages back into numeric order after building a large spread sheet so they appear in ascending order on the monitor. Without renumbering that is Thanks Mike Hi Mike, Your question is not clear to me, so here are three interpretations even if it is a stretch compared to even what you indicated. If you sorted the rows into a different order and want to restore them you can restore the order if you previous numbered your rows by placing a 1 on a new column (helper column) and used the fill-handle to place 2 into next cell, and 3 into next, etc. If you mean...

Email template insert data fields into subject line.
Hello, Is there a way to insert data fields into the subject line in email templates? I would like to add a case number so our customers can see it in the Subject line. Thanks, Steve ...

Import New Reports in to CRM 3.0
I have created several reports in Visual Studio. Is there a way to 'import' them into CRM so that all users can use them? Also is there a way to have these reports run on a schedule? thanks! Christian ...

Custom Format text XX:XXXX:XX
I would like to have text custom formatted so that if a 8 character words is typed, it is automatically broken up like this XX:XXXX:XX. This works just fine with numbers with a ##\:####\:## custom format, but it will not work for text. Any suggestions? -- mustard ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mustard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20017 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=346023 Number formatting only works on numbers. But you could use a little macro waiting for y...