How long does going offline take?

We're testing going offline on a P4 machine, 384MB RAM, 100MBit network
connection. After about 20 minutes we get this message:

The process is running and is waiting for a response from one of the backend
connections.

We've waiting probably 15 minutes so far (I know, patience is a virtue) and
we've gotten 50MB in the mscrm_msde SQL file so far but only a few other
files have updated before this one.

I will say that we've never had a successful offline replication because we
have an insanely large amount of data (don't know numbers off the top, but I
do know it's thousands of accounts in the one BU). We tried a few months ago
to get one of our salespeople working but they cancelled the download after 8
hours. This was before the SFO Performance packs though.

How fast (mb/hr) should the first offline replication take? And, if it
really does take 8, 10, 12 hours is there any way to 'pre-load' the database
so we can get it done in a reasonable timeframe?
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

As you have found going offline can take a few hours. Because of this
Microsoft recommends that the first go offline be performed when the user is
physically connected to your network rather than over vpn or dialup etc. Can
you tell us how much data is in accountbase etc.

There is no way of pre-loading your companies data in to SFO so you do have
to go through the go offline process. is there any way you can sub divide
the CRM system into additional business units to reduce the amount of data
that needs to be synced?

--
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP

"Dave McGuire" <DaveMcGuire@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We're testing going offline on a P4 machine, 384MB RAM, 100MBit network
> connection. After about 20 minutes we get this message:
>
> The process is running and is waiting for a response from one of the
backend
> connections.
>
> We've waiting probably 15 minutes so far (I know, patience is a virtue)
and
> we've gotten 50MB in the mscrm_msde SQL file so far but only a few other
> files have updated before this one.
>
> I will say that we've never had a successful offline replication because
we
> have an insanely large amount of data (don't know numbers off the top, but
> do know it's thousands of accounts in the one BU). We tried a few months
ago
> to get one of our salespeople working but they cancelled the download
after 8
> hours. This was before the SFO Performance packs though.
>
> How fast (mb/hr) should the first offline replication take? And, if it
> really does take 8, 10, 12 hours is there any way to 'pre-load' the
database
> so we can get it done in a reasonable timeframe?

0
John
12/29/2004 7:00:49 PM
Accountbase has just under 1800 records. The whole MSCRM SQL DB is about 370MB.

We are doing this replication in a switched 100mbit environment. I can see
the server from my desk. <big grin>

As for breaking out business units... That idea is not company policy, so
there's not much you can do.

However, we did find another "interesting" issue: Our production SQL server
has 512MB of physical RAM, with about 10MB free. We have also crashed a
crystal report within the last 2 weeks because it couldn't get the data back
in a timely fashion. As a result, CPU went to 100% and spikes there for over
half-hour at a time.

A belated Christmas / Chanukkah present might be some extra RAM for the
servers. <big grin>

"John O'Donnell" wrote:

> As you have found going offline can take a few hours. Because of this
> Microsoft recommends that the first go offline be performed when the user is
> physically connected to your network rather than over vpn or dialup etc. Can
> you tell us how much data is in accountbase etc.
>
> There is no way of pre-loading your companies data in to SFO so you do have
> to go through the go offline process. is there any way you can sub divide
> the CRM system into additional business units to reduce the amount of data
> that needs to be synced?

The intial sync (and subsequent syncs) consume significant memory in my
experience. I would strongly recommend more memory in your SQL server.

> Accountbase has just under 1800 records. The whole MSCRM SQL DB is about
370MB.

> We are doing this replication in a switched 100mbit environment. I can see
> the server from my desk. <big grin>
>
> As for breaking out business units... That idea is not company policy, so
> there's not much you can do.
>
> However, we did find another "interesting" issue: Our production SQL
server
> has 512MB of physical RAM, with about 10MB free. We have also crashed a
> crystal report within the last 2 weeks because it couldn't get the data
back
> in a timely fashion. As a result, CPU went to 100% and spikes there for
over
> half-hour at a time.
>
> A belated Christmas / Chanukkah present might be some extra RAM for the
> servers. <big grin>
>
> "John O'Donnell" wrote:
>
> > As you have found going offline can take a few hours. Because of this
> > Microsoft recommends that the first go offline be performed when the
user is
> > physically connected to your network rather than over vpn or dialup etc.
Can
> > you tell us how much data is in accountbase etc.
> >
> > There is no way of pre-loading your companies data in to SFO so you do
have
> > to go through the go offline process. is there any way you can sub
divide
> > the CRM system into additional business units to reduce the amount of
data
> > that needs to be synced?

0
daniel
1/4/2005 12:27:00 AM
That is not really that much data.  SQL is a resource hog.  When you go offline,
that will add load to your SQL server during that time.   If the machine is
underpowered, than you are going to be in for a long process.  The good news
though is that the biggest issue should just be the intial sync with each client
machine.  Subsequent synchs should only bring down changes since the last synch,
so the time will drop tremendously.

I would definately recommend a minimum of 1GB RAM on the server.  You will
notice that SQL will quickly use all of it though.  It is designed to page only
when needed, so it will keep grabbing more memory until there is no more
available and will only release the memory if it needs to.  I would also take a
look at the CPU on the box.  SQL can be pretty CPU intensive at times as well.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 12:33:02 -0800, Dave McGuire

"John O'Donnell" wrote:

> As you have found going offline can take a few hours. Because of this
> Microsoft recommends that the first go offline be performed when the user is
> physically connected to your network rather than over vpn or dialup etc. Can
> you tell us how much data is in accountbase etc.
>
> There is no way of pre-loading your companies data in to SFO so you do have
> to go through the go offline process. is there any way you can sub divide
> the CRM system into additional business units to reduce the amount of data
> that needs to be synced?

0
Matt

Can't view gridlines...going crazy!
I have had this problem off and on with Excel. I am unable to view gridlines even though the box is checked in Tools>Menus. They will also print if checked in print options, but will not appear in print preview. Does anyone know why they won't appear? I feel like I've been through every menu (and to every FAQ sheet I can find), and it's driving me crazy Thanks for your help! The gridlines color under Tools, Option, View is Automatic right? -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "ErinB" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CEF54D3E-7182-4451-AC4F-867881...

Offline address lists Problem
Hi, I´ve a exchange 2000 clustered enviroment in the company, but outlook users didn´t syncronize offline address list, they receive a error. Everything it´s ok in the environment, I configured a server to host the offline address list and the DC´s are OK. What can be the problem? Thanks! -- Gustavo Z. Velozo ...

Print to custom Forms offline
Does anyone know how to or if there is a third paty software that allows you to print to a customized form while offline with the laptop client? Please let me know thanks. Dan white wrote: > Does anyone know how to or if there is a third paty software that allows you > to print to a customized form while offline with the laptop client? > > Please let me know thanks. i think that you could do a mail merge using your local sql offline db. You would need to crete a new ODBC connection through administrative tools that connects to your local db and then create a new mail merge .d...

If statement to go through every worksheet
OK I started a question earlier about this and I got it answered BUT now I would like to modify it further. Here it is: =IF(C2=1,SUM(First:Last!A1),"") What I need this function to do is for each worksheet check if cell C1 has 1 in it and if if does include it in the sum. This function right now only checks C1 in the worksheet I have the function in. I need it to be something like this(I know this is wrong) =IF((First:Last!C2=1),SUM(First:Last!A1),"") Thank You >I started a question earlier about this and I got >it answered BUT now I wo...

Unable to go back online with SOF
I was checking the offline capabilities of SOF but now I can't go back online. It gives me "The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.". I can access the website perfectly from that machine. Is there a place where I can check what the specified domain is? -- Development Consultant Asyst International - South Africa Microsoft CRM - South Africa Open Forum http://www.asyst.co.za/crmforum HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSCRM Have you tried removing the crmaddin.dll and re-adding it? I would recommend retracing what the user did (assuming ...

Message killing SMTP service (long)
Anyone know why this message would bring down SMTP services on an fully updated and patched (including KB 827214) Exchange 2003 on Windows 2003? I removed this from my queue all is fine, put it back and SMTP service dies in just a few seconds. The only potential problems I saw, other than 673 recipients, were on lines 155, 245, 375, and 450. Thanks in advance ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Received: from MAIL.private.foobar.org ([xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) by s002bsfl.diff-foobar.com with Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.0); Tue, 14 Sep 2004 07:23:57 -0400 F...

Removing support for OAB 2 and 3 Offline address list
If I'm running Exchange 2003 SP2 and Outlook 2003 SP2 and no longer have any other older exchange servers in my domain why would I still need to support OAB 2 and 3 offline address list. What is the best practice for deleting the OAB 2 and 3 entries in my domain. The OAB's are specific to the client version as well. Why do you feel a need to remove them? It won't hurt anything to leave them there. -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne Read my blog! http://winzenz.blogspot.com http://feeds.feedburner.com/winzenz (RSS Feed) "RP in the Midwest" <RPintheMidwes...

Not matching transactions, think I see what is going on.
One of the banks with Yodlee I'm using is PNC bank. I finally figured out when my downloads are coming in in capital letters, they are seen on PNC's web site as "current transactions". They will download again but the next time with blank areas in the "pay to". But the transaction will have the history in the memo area I found that it is this download that needs to be filled in with the correct information in catagories,otherwise it if I delete this one, it will download again. Is anyone else seeing this with other banks? Could it be that they are using an e...

smart list go tos
I am trying to change the documents: portion with a go to on the window "Purchase Order Processing Document Inquiry" Take a look at my response to this post. However, this was not entirely tested. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&query=mariano+gomez+SLB&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains&p=1&tid=37216782-e2be-45a4-8d28-6e3f73f11ca5&mid=37216782-e2be-45a4-8d28-6e3f73f11ca5 Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusines...

CRM for Outlook Sync Problem when going Online
Hello, I synced the client's computer for the first time and everything seems OK. When I pressed 'Go Online', I got the error message : At least one recipient has "Do Not Allow " selected for e- mail activities. I checked allt he accounts/contacts for the preferred contact method and noone has this feature enabled. Also if yes, why should it conflict with the synchronization? Any ideas? Thanks. ...

Offline address list and mailbox store (Exch2003)
I have two users in the same mailbox store, is it possible to gave different "Offline address list" to these users? With kind regards, Stefan This is only per mailbox store. You will need either a second server or Enterprise edition and add another mailbox store. -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this address, post a reply to this newsgroup. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm "St...

Microsoft Exchange offline address book Error 0x8004010F
Hi, So I'm getting the error 0x8004010F and I tried the resolution in KB 905813 (make sure there is a valid OL Address book selected) and that doesn't solve my error. Does anyone have any other suggestions to clear this error? Thanks! -- JP Bourget, MCSE Arnold Magnetic Technologies This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C76AEC.BD55EE60 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable What errors are in your app log when you generate the oab? turn = msexchangesa\oal generator to max and rebuild ...

All emails going to junk mail folder
Recently, all of my emails are going to the junk mail folder. I can then move them to the in box folder. Also, a new custom toolbar is appearing. I can turn it off but the next time I start outlook it is there again. I don't know if the two issues are related but I would guess so. Any suggestions on how to correct these issues. I have turned off the junk mail filter hoping to correct the prpblem but it does not. I send myself emails to try to correct the problem and even those go to junk. Sounds like you have a 3rd party program that is doing junk mail filtering. Yo...

font won't take
I've been experiencing a strange effect when I Control A to select a whole worksheet, go to Format > Cells, Font, and and unable to get the font to change (in my case, from Arial to Times). Anyone have an idea what's going on? ...

How long are online quotes in 2005?
My 2003 quotes no longer work automatically, because I have had it for 2 years. How long will Microsoft provide automatic online stock quotes in the different versions of 2005? I cannot find that information on their money site. Greg In microsoft.public.money, Greg wrote: >My 2003 quotes no longer work automatically, because I >have had it for 2 years. How long will Microsoft provide >automatic online stock quotes in the different versions of >2005? I cannot find that information on their money site. See http://money.msn.com/Money/2005/IBSP.asp 2003 quotes are su...

Long Reconnect Times w/Multi-Users?
This is a variation on my prior attempt at a thread "App Runs Slower w/2 Users Than w/1?". Front end on C:, back end on a LAN file server. Code to reconnect tables runs in about 2.5 seconds when I'm the only one logged in to the front end. But when one other person has their copy of the front end up and running, that same re-connect process takes 207 seconds. It's not a religious issue bc the only time that process runs is when I prep the front end for distribution before elevating a new version. OTOH, if the reconnects are that slow... I wonder if the rest of the app is...

outlook client cause 100% CPU usage in offline mode?
Hi, I try the outlook client, but when I go offline, the CPU usage go to 100% and none of the pages works correctly. I see the top menu bar, but no content. if I change the view to go back to a standard outlook filder, then I can but outlook continue to takes 100% of the CPU!!! Online all works fine. any idea? thanks. Jerome. ...

SDK against the offline SFO client
There has been a lot of posts about this, and apparently this is not a supported option. <RANT> How the hell are we supposed to create great add-ons for this product if those add-ons do not work when the client is off-line? There is a huge amount of scope for third parties to enhance the base product, but it is a waste of time if the enhancements do not carry forward to off-line mode. Hey! Someone stole the wheels off my Ferarri!!! </RANT> Stephen Right now there is no replication method to bring your code down from the CRM server. As discussed getting customizations wor...

Go To
In Excel, you can name ranges of cells and use Edit --> Go To to go directly to those ranges. However, after you've gone to Go To once and you go back to it, there are often random cells referenced there (with $ signs indicating an absolute reference). Does anyone know why this happens or whether there's any rhyme or reason to the cells that are displayed? The cell reference on the top is the last address that you have gone to. For example, if you are in cell A2 and go to cell C8. $c$2 will show on the tope of the list. When you jump from C8 to another location, $c$8 will s...

Cut/paste a checkbook entry or go back and insert an entry
OK, so call me computer illiterate. I have had two versions of MS Money which I use only for my checkbook. I have yet to figure out how to go back and insert an entry. In other words, how do you copy and paste in the checkbook? I'm sure this is a simple thing, but it's beyond me. Any help out there? In microsoft.public.money, dbyron@co.volusia.fl.us wrote: >OK, so call me computer illiterate. I have had two >versions of MS Money which I use only for my checkbook. I >have yet to figure out how to go back and insert an >entry. Just add the entry at the bott...

Offline notifications
When operating offline with scheduled sync, should new mail notifications be available. Currently using OL2003 with Exchange03 but feature hasn't work in previous flavors. Thanks once again ...

Exch 2007 Store taking all available RAM
I have recently installed 2007 set up. The Server has 16 GB of RAM and the "store.exe" process is constantly taking up all available RAM. It starts off as only a few hundred MB then by the the 2nd day it's at 10-12 GB. If I stop and restart the Information Store service it knocks the size back down but only to begin swelling later. Is there a way to limit the size or can someone let me know why this is taking up so much RAM? Maybe there's a clean up process I need to run? Thank you On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:10:43 -0800, jferguson-onco <jfergusononco@discussions.microsof...

experiencing credit offline issues
For the past 3 days I've had some periodic problems with credit unable to get out for verification. When this happens I also notice internet pages load very slowly. I am running a server in the back office with MS 2003 server OS. And two computerized registers at the frontline. The DB never disconnects, so it seems like the internal network is stable. I know there could be many things causing this, but can anyone think of something obvious? The server has a static IP address, the registers use DHCP provided by the Linksys router. The wan comunication is provided by a cable co...

Where Do Messages Go??
If there isn't a kink in my program and it's behaving as it should, I hope someone can answer my questions. Messages disappear. Example: I e-mailed a friend, who e-mailed me back. When I answered that response, I could find no trace of it in "sent mail" or anywhere else, and the item in my inbox maintained its appearance as unread mail. If I click "mark read" it disappears altogether. I've lost several messages this way. Also I seem to be unable to drag a message from one folder to another. It gets lost in the transporter, never to be seen agai...

Offline Restore Problem
I have completed the offline restore process in our lab in preparation of moving our Exchange 5.5 SP4 Server to new hardware. The original server was NT4 SP6a and the new server is Windows 2000 SP4 The process went fine and all services are started and all email data is there. However... the association between the user account and the mailbox has been lost. I have run all the DS/IS Consistency adjusters and anything else that I can think of. What am I missing? Shih Did you also restore the directory? -- Nitin Shukla Microsoft Support (nitinsh@online.microsoft.com) This posti...