How can I handle reporting with relationship information?

I am wondering if anybody has some ideas on how to best accomplish what we
are looking to do.  I have a custom entity which is related to the contacts
entity.  I would like to get a report that contains all of the contact
information that I need plus one column for all of the relationships between
a given contact and all of the related records to the contact.

So if I have a contact John Smith and he has 3 related records A, B, and C I
would like to see a view with all of John's information plus a column that
looks like A;B;C.

One idea I had was to create a field on the contact entity to hold that
semi-colon seperated string and then have a process run once a day to clear
out all values and re populate it with the correct information.  That seems
rather cumbersome so I was just looking for ideas on a better way to handle
this.  I didn't want to do a flat out report because the users will need to
see that iinformation on a variety of reports or views.

Thanks.
0
Taylor (82)
3/24/2009 6:35:01 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Somebody replied that using a plugin tied to the relationship is a good way
to go.  I agree so I'll use that route.

"Taylor" wrote:

> I am wondering if anybody has some ideas on how to best accomplish what we
> are looking to do.  I have a custom entity which is related to the contacts
> entity.  I would like to get a report that contains all of the contact
> information that I need plus one column for all of the relationships between
> a given contact and all of the related records to the contact.
>
> So if I have a contact John Smith and he has 3 related records A, B, and C I
> would like to see a view with all of John's information plus a column that
> looks like A;B;C.
>
> One idea I had was to create a field on the contact entity to hold that
> semi-colon seperated string and then have a process run once a day to clear
> out all values and re populate it with the correct information.  That seems
> rather cumbersome so I was just looking for ideas on a better way to handle
> this.  I didn't want to do a flat out report because the users will need to
> see that iinformation on a variety of reports or views.
>
> Thanks.
0
Taylor (82)
3/24/2009 8:08:11 PM
This can be easily acomplished using an SQL query, then base your report on
that.

You can create an SQL function in your that returns a string containing all
the related records you can us as a column.

--
Gary Herbstman
Byte Solutions, Inc.

"Taylor" <Taylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am wondering if anybody has some ideas on how to best accomplish what we
> are looking to do.  I have a custom entity which is related to the
> contacts
> entity.  I would like to get a report that contains all of the contact
> information that I need plus one column for all of the relationships
> between
> a given contact and all of the related records to the contact.
>
> So if I have a contact John Smith and he has 3 related records A, B, and C
> would like to see a view with all of John's information plus a column that
> looks like A;B;C.
>
> One idea I had was to create a field on the contact entity to hold that
> semi-colon seperated string and then have a process run once a day to
> clear
> out all values and re populate it with the correct information.  That
> seems
> rather cumbersome so I was just looking for ideas on a better way to
> handle
> this.  I didn't want to do a flat out report because the users will need
> see that iinformation on a variety of reports or views.
>
> Thanks.

0
garyh1 (19)
3/25/2009 10:16:59 AM
Thanks.  I actually think we're going to go with the plugin idea to create a
concatenated string field on the contact record.  That way we can use it over
and over again in multiple reports/views etc.

"gherbstman" wrote:

> This can be easily acomplished using an SQL query, then base your report on
> that.
>
> You can create an SQL function in your that returns a string containing all
> the related records you can us as a column.
>

> --
> Gary Herbstman
> Byte Solutions, Inc.
> http://bytesolutions.com
>

> "Taylor" <Taylor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am wondering if anybody has some ideas on how to best accomplish what we
> > are looking to do.  I have a custom entity which is related to the
> > contacts
> > entity.  I would like to get a report that contains all of the contact
> > information that I need plus one column for all of the relationships
> > between
> > a given contact and all of the related records to the contact.
> >
> > So if I have a contact John Smith and he has 3 related records A, B, and C
> > would like to see a view with all of John's information plus a column that
> > looks like A;B;C.
> >
> > One idea I had was to create a field on the contact entity to hold that
> > semi-colon seperated string and then have a process run once a day to
> > clear
> > out all values and re populate it with the correct information.  That
> > seems
> > rather cumbersome so I was just looking for ideas on a better way to
> > handle
> > this.  I didn't want to do a flat out report because the users will need
> > see that iinformation on a variety of reports or views.
> >
> > Thanks.

0
Taylor (82)

return items to supplier/reporting
how we can return items to suppliers with in the same purchase order so that we don't effect the posting in QB2003 7 keep the inventory accurate any recomended software for reporting i need to be able to have a charts to compare the sales & customer loyalty to the store in an easy way thanks -- maher almasri maher, The approved RMS way is to issue a Transfer Out back to the supplier. SO Manager | Inventory | Transfer Out. Also I assume that you know that Intuit is forcing an update to QB 2003 by April 30. -- * Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security You must be using Outl...

Standard Reports on CRM 3.0
I am trying to setup CRM 3.0; I have set it up on sql 2005 and migrated the data from ACT with no errors. when I click on reports in workplace a message is displayed - an error has occurred - contact the system administrator. I ran the environment diagnostic tool and no errors appeared. Can anybody point me in the right direction to resolve this. For more detail error information you can turn on Dev Errors. To do this, log onto the Microsoft CRM Server. Open a File Explorer window and navigate to the folder where the Microsoft CRM web site is installed. Open the web.config and chang...

open two different Access reports

can i download lxce serv.exe

Input to custom reports

how many receivers i can add

Can't configure Outlook Express

isinteg reports configuring tstmgr failed : ecBadVersion
we have lost our mail after NAV did it's worst. have performed eseutil /p and /d as suggested elsewhere now get error from isinteg help please Update - have now sorted this thanks ...

what printers can run Vista
just purchased a dell which came with Vista on it. now my printer (HP 5550 deskjet) won't print. I need to find a new printer that i can hook up to the computer. This is an Access newsgroup. We help with questions related to Microsoft Access - the database application that is part of MS Office Professional. -- Rick B "monroe" <monroe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AC746826-251A-4097-AF88-2805BCDE7DEC@microsoft.com... > just purchased a dell which came with Vista on it. now my printer (HP > 5550 > deskjet) won't print. I need to...

Protection/hide information
Good morning, If anyone has any useful web links for information regarding protection/hide information for 2000 & 2002 generally to broaden my knowledge that would be great. Thanks. Not really sure what you're looking for, but here's some info on worksheet/workbook protection: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html In article <O1SJMW$VEHA.4064@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Kassie Alcorn" <marketing@qld.apollopatio.com.au> wrote: > If anyone has any useful web links for information regarding protection/hide > information for 2000 & ...

Crystal Report Launch 2
(sorry to repost this thread, but this was too old and I got no respones!) Can anyone explain this better? I can't find any documentation about this.........and techknowledge seems to be useless: http://www.greatplains.com/TechKnowledge/techknowledge.asp?print=true&id=28987&code=7842 can anyone show an example? I tried looking at the url of a report (almost a mile long!) and I indeed saw the paramters I put, but when I try to reopen that url in another browser I get this error: Unable to connect: incorrect log on parameters. File 7c433cc1d949d16.rpt. any help would be greatly ...

Can not open PDFs
I'm using Outlook Express,when I receive e-mail with pdf attachments I can not open or save the PDF files I can see that the file is there but nothing happen. thanks Cesar Open the message in question. Is there a informational bar across the top that states Outlook Express blocked access to the file? If yes, select Tool > Options > Security tab and uncheck the second box from the top concerning attachments. "Cesar Calderon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29c4e01c465ca$a76ec470$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I'm using Outlook Express,...

How can I sum only amounts that are in BOLD format within a column
Hi! I need to get a total from a worksheet that has hundreds of amounts in it. However, I only need the total of the amounts that were marked with have BOLD font. Please help me I don't have much experience with EXCEL. Thank you very much! W a n d a try this for column D Sub sumbold() x = Cells(Rows.Count, "d").End(xlUp).Row For Each c In Range(Cells(2, 4), Cells(x, 4)) If c.Font.Bold Then mysum = mysum + c Next MsgBox mysum End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Wanda" <Wanda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:89A268A6-...

Can't use openURL or access internet on some locations
I have previously raised a question where openUrl threw an exception in a specific office location. However the problem I have now is that the application just freeze when I call openURL. It seems as it is waiting for something. This only happens at one company so far the company does have a proxy but so do I at work and I have no problems. I have also tried the Microsoft TEAR sample and it behaves the exact same way, it says "Opening internet...Connection made" and then it just stops. If I run it on my computer it gets the webpage and everything finishes ok. I have tried to set t...

OWA user can only see subject
Hello friends, OWA users are unable to see their mail. Only Subject field is visible, without mail contents(No message is visible). Our outlook is working fine. Any ideas why this is happening and how we can solve this. Regards Guri ...