Getting Contacts from CRM with Word VBA

Hi,

I am new to Microsoft CRM, so I don't know if this is possible.

Is there a way to get Contacts from Microsoft CRM from Word VBA? If so, do I
need DLL's or do I need to get into the SQL Server database to get them? The
best method would be to kinda ask CRM for what I want, and it gives it to
me.

Any pointers?

Ronald

0
Ronald
11/9/2004 9:26:13 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

You may wish to review the "Information Bridge Framework".....
The Microsoft Office Information Bridge Framework for Microsoft CRM connects
Microsoft Office with Microsoft Business Solutions CRM using compatible Web
services. By using the Information Bridge Framework, Microsoft Office System
users can interact with Microsoft CRM directly from Microsoft Office Word
2003, Microsoft Office Excel 2003, and Microsoft Office Outlook 2003. A
complete Information Bridge solution comprises the Microsoft Office
Information Bridge Framework, the Microsoft CRM data sources that are
exposed through Web services, and other custom controls and assemblies
created for Microsoft Office Professional 2003.

This new functionality is available now available in final form for download
for customers and partners.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=332BEFFB-4492-40D7-8CE0-995489909B6A&displaylang=en

"Ronald" <rpothuiz@noneedforthis.gmx.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Microsoft CRM, so I don't know if this is possible.
>
> Is there a way to get Contacts from Microsoft CRM from Word VBA? If so, do
> need DLL's or do I need to get into the SQL Server database to get them?
> The
> best method would be to kinda ask CRM for what I want, and it gives it to
> me.
>
> Any pointers?
>
> Ronald

0
Guy
11/9/2004 10:58:32 AM
Calling the core CRM API's from VBA will be difficult as they would need a .Net
wrapper.  There are some COM-based API's., but they are not documented very
well.

If all you need is to retrieve data, you can always query directly against the
database, but remember that this will bypass the data security of the
application.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:26:13 +0100, "Ronald" <rpothuiz@noneedforthis.gmx.net>
wrote:

Hi,

I am new to Microsoft CRM, so I don't know if this is possible.

Is there a way to get Contacts from Microsoft CRM from Word VBA? If so, do I
need DLL's or do I need to get into the SQL Server database to get them? The
best method would be to kinda ask CRM for what I want, and it gives it to
me.

Any pointers?

Ronald

0
Matt
11/9/2004 2:59:33 PM
Microsoft has an addon for office called visual studio tools for office.
These allow you to write code in a .net language that you can run from excel
or word. So using this you could have a button in an excel spreadsheet that
runs C# code for example which then can access crm and retrieve data
directly into the spreadsheet. Not VBA but pretty cool otherwise

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/odc_vsto2003_ta/html/vstoqsinst.asp

--
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP

"Matt Parks" <mattp65@Yax_RemoveDashAndX_xhoo.com> wrote in message
> Calling the core CRM API's from VBA will be difficult as they would need a
..Net
> wrapper.  There are some COM-based API's., but they are not documented
very
> well.
>
> If all you need is to retrieve data, you can always query directly against
the
> database, but remember that this will bypass the data security of the
> application.
>
> Matt Parks
> MVP - Microsoft CRM

> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:26:13 +0100, "Ronald"
<rpothuiz@noneedforthis.gmx.net>
> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Microsoft CRM, so I don't know if this is possible.
>
> Is there a way to get Contacts from Microsoft CRM from Word VBA? If so, do
> need DLL's or do I need to get into the SQL Server database to get them?
The
> best method would be to kinda ask CRM for what I want, and it gives it to
> me.
>
> Any pointers?
>
> Ronald

0
John
11/10/2004 8:29:08 AM
Hi all,

Thank you for your input, for now, we've decided to do DCOM on both the
Biztalk side and the VBA side. Biztalk will query CRM, that's already
implemented.

I see however that in the future, with Office 2003 there are way better
solutions available with CRM, Visual Studio Tools for Office and
webservices... I will get into that next year.

Ronald

"Ronald" <rpothuiz@noneedforthis.gmx.net> schreef in bericht
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Microsoft CRM, so I don't know if this is possible.
>
> Is there a way to get Contacts from Microsoft CRM from Word VBA? If so, do
> need DLL's or do I need to get into the SQL Server database to get them?
The
> best method would be to kinda ask CRM for what I want, and it gives it to
> me.
>
> Any pointers?
>
> Ronald

0
Ronald

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

Merging Duplicate Contacts

VBA training suggestions?
I'm looking for tips on software out there on learning VBA for Excel. I know how to create macros and have a good idea of what a script might look like for the macro I created. I just want to learn how to write them on my own for my personal use. Any suggestions? Thank you kindly for your input! I do not know of any software for learning VBA, but you can't go wrong looking at all the Excel VBA web sites as well as purchasing a copy of John Walkenbach's "Excel 2003 Power Programming with VBA" http://j-walk.com/ss/. Recording macros and then editing them is a pow...

CRM 3.0 Implementation

Word 2004 overriding global prefs
Okay.. PMG5 running 10.4.6. I have a problem with the default page setup settings in two limited user accounts (my own, admin account, is fine). As I am in the UK, the global default paper size is set to A4. All applications respect this - bar Word. Every time it's fired up, and a new document selected, the paper size is always US Letter. This does NOT affect any other Office application. I have tried trashing prefs - I've even removed (using the supplied removal tool) and reinstalled Office. My mother uses Word extensively as she works at home a good deal. She wouldn't ...

crm 3.0 error 03-01-06

Getting the BCC field by default.

Non-VBA way of making custom menus.

CRM 3.0 Login Problems