Error: " Word cannot complete the save due a permission error "

Hello,

I´ve created a template for mail merge. It works fine.
I also have attached a mail merge to an activity (note attachment). Works
fine too.
But when I retrieve that file (often a Word XML file) from the note it opens
in Word.
I'm trying to edit that document but when I want to save it back to the
activity I am getting the following error.

" Word cannot complete the save due a permission error "
(I am the administrator and I full rights to the complete CRM)

I really need to know of it is possible to edit a attachment and save it
back to the activity note.

So my question is if this is possible or what the solutions is to solve the
error I'm getting.

Thanks

PS. I'm using CRM 4.0

0
JoeyVDB (3)
2/9/2009 3:35:03 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Hi Joey,

I don't believe that CRM allows you to edit attached files - unlike many
other applications, CRM does not just store a link to the file, it actually
saves the attachment to the database.

As a quick test ... try attaching a .txt document to a Contact.
Once you've attached this, open the attachment from CRM, edit the contents,
save and then close the file.
From the Contact record, re-open the .txt file - notice that none of the
changes you made we saved; the content of the file is as it was when first
uploaded.

If you need you make changes to a file which has already been attached, I
suggest that once you open it from CRM, you use the "save as" command, save
it locally and then upload it as another attachment to the record in CRM once
you have finished making changes.

Hope this helps.

Maryse

"JoeyVDB" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I´ve created a template for mail merge. It works fine.
> I also have attached a mail merge to an activity (note attachment). Works
> fine too.
> But when I retrieve that file (often a Word XML file) from the note it opens
> in Word.
> I'm trying to edit that document but when I want to save it back to the
> activity I am getting the following error.
>
> " Word cannot complete the save due a permission error "
> (I am the administrator and I full rights to the complete CRM)
>
> I really need to know of it is possible to edit a attachment and save it
> back to the activity note.
>
> So my question is if this is possible or what the solutions is to solve the
> error I'm getting.
>
> Thanks
>
> PS. I'm using CRM 4.0

0
CRM9284 (26)

Error: " Word cannot complete the save due a permission error "
Hello, I´ve created a template for mail merge. It works fine. I also have attached a mail merge to an activity (note attachment). Works fine too. But when I retrieve that file (often a Word XML file) from the note it opens in Word. I'm trying to edit that document but when I want to save it back to the activity I am getting the following error. " Word cannot complete the save due a permission error " (I am the administrator and I full rights to the complete CRM) I really need to know of it is possible to edit a attachment and save it back to the activity note. So my ...