Duplication of Production CRM Install to Test environment

I was wondering if anyone had duplicated a Production CRM
Install to a test environment to verify a 1.0 to 1.2
upgrade.  We have to minimize down time and want to do a
rehersal before we do it live (we have some
customizations that may cause problems).  I have not seen
any procedures/recommendations that address this.  Any
recommendations?

Thanks for the help in advance.
0
Patrick
4/28/2004 6:50:48 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

We have used VMware in the past to do test/production
environments.

Bill

0
Bill
4/28/2004 9:10:12 PM
I just got back from a 2 day SharePoint development class, and the
instructor recommended using Microsoft Virtual Machine for developing
applications on MS CRM, rather than devoting another Windows 2003 server for
a "test environment."  Might this be an option for you?

Sincerely,
Todd M. Taylor

0
Todd

MSOffice 2010 Beta stops installing at Step 4/4 with error messag
I received an invitation from Microsoft to download Beta version of Office 2010. I am unable to complete set up. the installation stops after showing step4/4 with an error message "there was a problemsetting up Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 (Beta). etc". I have tried saving the download and then executing. I have tried running the download from the Web download page, I have tried re-downloading. All with the same result. Is it possible for me to install the program? ...

CRM in outlook
the CRM folder(s) are missing from within the outlook menu. But we are able to view the crm system by typing the url in a browser window. the error warning indicates that that CRM functionality fails to download, and that a restart will help. after restarting a few times it is still not working this is the case on many machienes. ...

CRM does not send external e-mails
Hi all, I'm having problems with CRM not sending external mail ... It work internally ... Any idea where I should look ??? Thanks The problem is most likely with your SMTP server (which is probably, though not necessarily) an Exchange Server. CRM uses SMTP to send outgoing mail. Do you get an error in CRM when trying to send an email externally ? If you don't, then CRM is able to send the email to the SMTP server successfully, hence the problem is with the SMTP server, probably the SMTP relay settings "Frank" wrote: > > Hi all, > > > I'm ha...

Can I Install Money 2004 Deluxe Without Internet Explorer 6?
Hi, Upgraded my hardware, installed XP SP2, all software and upgrades. Things are humming along... better than I expected. I decided to install the IE7 beta and it to is running well. Now the dilemma... Went to install Money 2004 Deluxe (retail CD) and it insists on installing IE6. IE7 shows an "ie6wzd" error message immediately after running the Money setup. I don't want IE6 anymore... any fix for this? Thanks, Jon --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.sh...

CRM host page
I have installed the crm program and am unable to connect to the http://crmhost - can someone help me? you need to give us more information.....your environment, error messages.... the more you give us, the more we can help you..... -Gary "Kelly Hunt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ec2f01c3f1a0$0c4e1110$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I have installed the crm program and am unable to connect > to the http://crmhost - can someone help me? > > You need to tell us how you have set up your CRM environment. Items such as 1 - Number and role ...

Problems with CRM groups
Hi, I have a CRM server, but there was a problem with Active Directory, and every group of CRM was erased. I created them again, but CRM does not work. CRM indicate that I have no right to enter to CRM. What should I do? Your best option will be to reinstall CRM, and reconnect to existing databases, which will prevent data loss. However, there is a question about what happened to the AD user accounts when the CRM groups were erased. If the user accounts were also erased you should run the CRM Redeployment Tool prior to reinstalling CRM so as to map the user records in the CRM databa...

test #5
test ...

Duplicate information
I have created a report called PreJob's which pulls information from two different tables; Work Order Main T and Order Details T. I am pulling information from a field called Job Description from the Work Order Main T and Operator Name from the Order Details T, now the Operator Name can be listed more than once under one job description but on the report I only want to show the operator name once no matter how many times he is under that one job description. Is this possible? If need be I can try to give more details if the is not enough. Thank You Renee Renee wrote: >I have...

Recovering the outlook password from a non functional windows installation
Hi ! I've a problem: one of our customer bring us his own computer with a non functional windows xp installation for data recovery. This computer have a windows xp SP2 with office 2003. The only one thing we can't recover was the mail pop3 password: the customer can't remember it and we are totally unable to recover ! :( This password is for some statal organization and the customer absolutely refuse to ask them for reset the password. I've tried with another computer and seem that the outlook password is recorded there: C:\Documents and Settings\tbaroni\Dati applica...

Cannot promote e-mail to CRM activity
I've install Outlook client on 45 computers. Everything is ok, except only one PC. User from the PC cannot promote e-mail from Outlook to CRM activity. I don't understand - why, becuse I compared Outlook settings between different PCes, they are identical. I read about this problem in this forum, but I did not find any solution of the problem. Have the problem already solved by someone or not ? -- Best regards, Alexander Baskakov There is a patch availeble to solve this problem.. "Alexander Baskakov" <AlexanderBaskakov@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in ber...

VMWare in a production environment
Does anyone (or has anyone) used VMWare in a production environment? My experience has been that DB size, user base and modules used drastically impacts performance. I have a customer that is testing it right now and they are having significant throughput issues. They are only using GL and AP (thousands of transactions per month) and the DB is north of 5GB. Anyone have any experiences with these symptoms and what have you done to speed things up? Dan, I cannot answer your question specifically, although I do know that throwing a lot of hardware at virtual environments usually dra...

Office Products can't send mail through WLM (General mail failure)
Office Pro 2007 and latest patches XP Pro SP3 IE8 Windows Live Mail (Set as default email client) Open Excel Open an Existing spread sheet File (Office Orb)->Send->E-Mail Error Message "General mail failure. Quit Microsoft Office Excel, restart the mail system, and try again." I have tried to repair Office Verified WLM is the default email client though IE tools-Options Run FixMapi.exe (this sometimes works when Excel is open, but will fail the next you start Excel to send again) I should add that I can right click on a file in explore and ...

test..where are my messages..test

Installing only Word 2008
I own both 2004 and 2008 Office. For the moment I only want to install Word and PowerPoint 2008 -- I do not want to touch Entourage for at least the next six months and do not use Excel. Will the installer allow me to just install Word and PowerPoint without removing the 2004 version of each? And will only installing these two programs affect anything else? Just checking because I can't afford any major glitches in my work flow right now, but I would like to access these programs and especially docx. Thanks, Rick "Richard McCutcheon" wrote: > Will the installer allow ...

Time Zone Setting in CRM 3.0
I am assigned to the adminstrative role. The option for time zone does not appear under tools ... options ... general as it does if I login as CRM Admin. How do I enable the time zone setting. I am having synchronization problems with outlook. Michael Hi Mike, Have you found a solution for this behaviour? We're experiencing the same problem. BR, Saku "Mike from MA" wrote: > I am assigned to the adminstrative role. The option for time zone does not > appear under tools ... options ... general as it does if I login as CRM > Admin. How do I enable the time zone...

Best domain configuration for 2 CRM implementations
What is the best way to configure 2 separate installations of the Microsoft CRM package in the same forest Option 1 - Install one in the root domain (i.e. xyzco.local) and the other in a child domain (i.e. west.xyzco.local) Option 2 - Install one in domain 1 (i.e. xyzco.local) and the other in domain 2 (i.e. abcco.local) in the same forest And while we are on the subject, is it still necessary to do two domains for 2 CRM implemenations of CRM w/ v1.2? Can you use the same database with separate Business units, but install it on two web servers so the forms can be different, but share data Th...

Installing IE8 broke image file associations in Outlook Express
At YouTube's urging I upgraded my Windows XP SP2 from IE6 to IE8. Now when I try to view an attached JPG or GIF file in Outlook Express 6, nothing happens. The file associations are still set to Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, and double-clicking a JPG or GIF file from Windows Explorer still works. But the association is ignored in OE6. Nothing I have tried so far has fixed this. Before I uninstall IE8, is there a known fix for this bug? --Ethan Is IE8 configured as your default Browser? Why isn't WinXP SP3 installed yet? . About IE7 & IE8 and Windows XP Service...

Convert Dimension Code to Account Segment
Hi All, Is there any 3rd Party product which can convert the Dimension Code to Extra Account Segment in Account Format Note : This convention should update the data in Current and Historical Data. Please suggest me regarding this ASAP Regards Sunny There is nothing out there to do this, so I guess you are on your own. You will have to create the extra accounts in your chart of accounts and map the dimensions and balances to these accounts, once you do this, you may then use Integration Manager to import the balances. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global ...

Source of difficulty of automated testing?
http://www.stickyminds.com/sitewide.asp?ObjectId=6408&Function=edetail&ObjectType=COL I want to be sure that I understand this problem better. Here is what I need to know: Is it possible to design and build custom GUI controls such that even the operating system has no way to determine the state of this control? > I want to be sure that I understand this problem better. Here is what I need to > know: Is it possible to design and build custom GUI controls such that even the > operating system has no way to determine the state of this control? Sure. If you write you o...

CRM Client user without local admin rights? 10-20-03
Is it possible to run the CRM client without having to add the user to the local admin group? As 1.0 is now, you have to add the user to the local admin group so you can install the software under their account. Then you have to keep their account a part of this group so MSDE can syncronize correctly (according to MS). Is there a workaround for this? I sure hope there is because I am not crazy about having my users belonging to the local admin group on their machines. Actually, I still have a hard time believing MS designed the client this way since this goes against very common...

Adding Tables to CRM db
I have an app that uses information from both a CRM table and a table from my own database (same SQL box), and I'm finding that it would make life much easier if my tables were in the CRM database. Is this supported? Or better yet, what ramifications should I expect? Especially with an update coming shortly.. thx, -Gary crap, found this in the SDK: Adding tables, indexes, stored procedures, or views to the database also is not supported because of referential integrity or upgrade issues. -Gary "Gary" <gary.rey@NOOOOSPAM.virtium.com> wrote in message news:OAhHEXZmDHA...

Problem changing default form view in CRM 3.0
I am trying to change the default form view for many different areas of CRM 3.0. For example, I want to change the default from for Contacts to "Active Contacts." It is currently set to "My Active Contacts." I understand that I need to go to Entity Customization and select "Contact," then choose "Forms and Views" on the left. Then select the form that I want to be the default - select Actions and "Set as Default." Well, unfortunately there is no "Set as Default" option under my Actions menu. The only thing there is "P...

New to CRM: Importing Contacts
Creating a Contact in CRM you only get one e-mail field. When you convert from Outlook Contacts does it take only Email1? What happens to Email2 and Email3? Thanks! Shauna ...

testing smart card minidriver
when testing smart card minidriver in windows 7, got the following errors: "cmck exec Reconnect" always show that Testing through CAPI calls Submitting CSP PIN for reader \\.\DMWZ ESAFE 0\ CryptAcquireContext - CRYPT_NEWKEYSET CryptGenKey Reconnecting CryptAcquireContext - CRYPT_DELETEKEYSET CryptAcquireContext failed unexpectedly d:\5429t\testsrc\dstest\security\core\credentials\smartcard\cmck\cmck\fnreconnect.cpp Line: 264 WIN32 0x80090016 Keyset does not exist. in windows xp, it always passed. i have no idea! this is my log. in XP: /* P:608 T:3380 8-30...

Trying to install Wxp SP3 for _one_ computer
Trying to install Wxp SP3 for _one_ computer but I can not use windows update because the computer never had a modem. What other way can I get a Wxp SP3 for _one_ computer? I download at a public library then take an external drive home. b11_ wrote: > Trying to install Wxp SP3 for _one_ computer but I can not use > windows update because the computer never had a modem. What other way > can I get a Wxp SP3 for _one_ computer? I download at a public > library then take an external drive home. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-b...