Display Quote Number on Order

Hello,
I am trying to display the field named quotenumber on the Order form.
I see that
there is already a field mapped from Quote.quotenumber to
SalesOrder.quoteidname. However, when I go into system customization,
I cannot
choose to view the quoteidname field in the form. Is this a bug or by
design?
0
jeremy
11/18/2004 4:48:58 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

By design.  When the quoteid field is added to the screen, it will actually show
the name of the quote.  That's about the closest you will be able to get in
terms of displaying data from the Quote.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On 18 Nov 2004 08:48:58 -0800, jeremy.mitchell@gmail.com (Jeremy) wrote:

Hello,
I am trying to display the field named quotenumber on the Order form.
I see that
there is already a field mapped from Quote.quotenumber to
SalesOrder.quoteidname. However, when I go into system customization,
I cannot
choose to view the quoteidname field in the form. Is this a bug or by
design?

0
Matt
11/18/2004 7:24:01 PM
What we are ultimately trying to accomplish is a Quote numbering
system. Current at our company we have a system for generating quote
numbers that starts out as an auto number but then gets modified. Is
there a way such that when a quote gets created, I can asign it an
auto number of some sort, but then is editable by the user. This Quote
number then needs to get carried over to the Order when an order is
made from it. From all of my reading this is not something that can be
done within the normal framework of CRM, so what is the best direction
to take? I am comfortable with .NET programming if thats what it needs
to come to. Any thoughts or direction on this?
0
jeremy
11/19/2004 4:12:04 AM
Jeremy,

Add a custom Attribute to the Quote entity.  Then create and register a Post
Callout to update the custom field with the Quotation number as specified by
your companies algorythm.

There is a good example on MSDN (although this is writing entries to Account
custom fields, it can be easily modified).

Stephen

"Jeremy" <jeremy.mitchell@gmail.com> wrote in message
> What we are ultimately trying to accomplish is a Quote numbering
> system. Current at our company we have a system for generating quote
> numbers that starts out as an auto number but then gets modified. Is
> there a way such that when a quote gets created, I can asign it an
> auto number of some sort, but then is editable by the user. This Quote
> number then needs to get carried over to the Order when an order is
> made from it. From all of my reading this is not something that can be
> done within the normal framework of CRM, so what is the best direction
> to take? I am comfortable with .NET programming if thats what it needs
> to come to. Any thoughts or direction on this?

0
Stephen
11/20/2004 12:34:45 AM
Do you have a link to this sample? I did a search through MSDN, and
didn't find a comprehensive example.
0
jeremy
11/21/2004 1:52:27 AM
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmbscrm1_2/html/mbs_crmcstmintpostcallouts1d21.asp

> Do you have a link to this sample? I did a search through MSDN, and
> didn't find a comprehensive example.

0
Stephen
11/21/2004 8:18:42 AM
Thanks for the reply! I read through the article, and the only
question I have is the use of the message queue. Is that a necessary
thing, or is there another reason they are using it? It seems like
just another layer of complexity on top of a relatively
straightforward operation. The only thing I can think of is that if
the code in the post-callback is long and involved, you wouldn't want
that getting in CRMs way of finishing whatever else it needed to do.
But, if the code in the custom component takes very little time to run
can I just skip using the message queue?
0
jeremy
11/22/2004 1:39:57 AM
Hi Jeremy,

The "recommended" step is to have an absolute minimum amount of code in the
COM method - this is why the example shows a service and a message queue.
Actually, this is a reasonable method to use because MQ is already installed
on your CRM server (part of the installation requirements).

Another good reason, besides length of time to run, is that if you just
implement the COM object to write to the message queue, then you don't need
to change this to implement a new feature or change an algorythm - just
change the service.

If you are very sure that your code will be small and not take a lot of
resource, and is not likely to change that often, then I would say sure, go
ahead and put it all  in the COM object.

> Thanks for the reply! I read through the article, and the only
> question I have is the use of the message queue. Is that a necessary
> thing, or is there another reason they are using it? It seems like
> just another layer of complexity on top of a relatively
> straightforward operation. The only thing I can think of is that if
> the code in the post-callback is long and involved, you wouldn't want
> that getting in CRMs way of finishing whatever else it needed to do.
> But, if the code in the custom component takes very little time to run
> can I just skip using the message queue?

0
Stephen
11/22/2004 8:49:00 AM
Another reason for this is there can be locking issues on the table as the
post-callout does not run in the same transaction as the update to the table.
If you then try to update the table, you can run into a deadlock.

Also, to a point that wasn't addressed.  Once you get your quote number assigned
via this mechanism, you create a similar field on the Order and then "map" the
feilds via Deployment Manager.  Then, when the Order is "created" from the
Quote, this field will copy over to the Order.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 08:49:00 -0000, "Stephen Redmond"
<stephen_at_crm.ie@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:

Hi Jeremy,

The "recommended" step is to have an absolute minimum amount of code in the
COM method - this is why the example shows a service and a message queue.
Actually, this is a reasonable method to use because MQ is already installed
on your CRM server (part of the installation requirements).

Another good reason, besides length of time to run, is that if you just
implement the COM object to write to the message queue, then you don't need
to change this to implement a new feature or change an algorythm - just
change the service.

If you are very sure that your code will be small and not take a lot of
resource, and is not likely to change that often, then I would say sure, go
ahead and put it all  in the COM object.

Stephen

"Jeremy" <jeremy.mitchell@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply! I read through the article, and the only
> question I have is the use of the message queue. Is that a necessary
> thing, or is there another reason they are using it? It seems like
> just another layer of complexity on top of a relatively
> straightforward operation. The only thing I can think of is that if
> the code in the post-callback is long and involved, you wouldn't want
> that getting in CRMs way of finishing whatever else it needed to do.
> But, if the code in the custom component takes very little time to run
> can I just skip using the message queue?

0
Matt

"anonymous" account missing on public folder
Hi, We are in the midst of a 5.5 to 2003 migration, and I have discovered that my mail-enabled 5.5 public folders require me to give the "anonymous" account "contributor" permissions in order for them to receive mail from outside the organization. No problem, until I hit one of the public folders that doesn't have an "anonymous" account listed in the list of accounts I can assign permissions to. Don't know where it's gone, and I'm hoping someone can tell me how to get it back. Any help appreciated. Old: 5.5 SP4 on NT 4.0 New: 2K3 SP1 o...

#DIV/0! displayed in Pivot Tables
I create Pivot Tables that use calced fields. Sometimes the calced fields divide zero by zero which results in #DIV/0! showing up in the RowTotals and TotalTotals. I can use the Table Options For Error Value Show (blank), which removes the #Div/0! from the table display, the only problem with doing this is the TotalTotal cells also show up as blank. Here's my code for creating the calced field. ActiveSheet.PivotTables("PivotTable2").CalculatedFields.Add "Weighted Avg Price", _ "=rev / PosSold" With ActiveSheet.P...

"Save As" name truncation
I moved my Office 97 (Small Business Edition) from a Windows 98 Computer to one using Windows xp Home Edition. Since moving Excel, it truncates the name to one (1) character whenever I try to use "Save As". How do I correct this? I have looked everywhere for an answer! Check to see if Excel is running in Windows 95 compatibility mode. There was a post that said: When I disabled compatibility mode the file name problem went away. http://google.com/groups?threadm=020101c30916%2442320250%24a501280a%40phx.gbl And maybe this will help: HOW TO: Use Windows Program Compatibility Mod...

Change Contact mapping for "Track in CRM" button
Many of my users have hundreds or thousands of contacts they want to add to CRM. Many go in without issue, but some names get hacked up in all kinds of strange ways. Example: Dr. Danielle Johnston MD has the salutation "Dr." and the last name of "Danielle Johnston MD", no title or suffix. However, Tim Murphy III, Esq. has the first name of "Esq.", Last name "III", middle name "Tim Murphy". The sales rep did finally find Dr. Johnson alphabetically in the Ds and the attorney in the I section but this is very frustrating for them and CRM is st...

can't do a differential get "server not found or access denied"
I am using the same account the I can make a full backup with, but the differential will not work the account has schema admin enterprise admin domain admin exchange domain servers has him as a member also. I used this account to install exchange, so i don't know what other permision it could need? remove the domain admins from the account. domain admins has an access denied in exchange 2003 by default. -- Omer Maydan MCSE, Security+ "james" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2cb001c47e27$70716340$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I am using the same...

Display Last Saved Date Excel
Hi I want a cell in the top right corner of my sheet stating the date and time it was last saved as I have a rather unstable network where i work and it crashes. I know this is available in Word and it's a similar kinda thing i'm looking for. Thanks Hi, I can offer a VBA solution, I don't know Excel worksheet funtion for this purpose. Public Function timestamp(filepathandname) timestamp = FileDateTime(filepathandname) End Function Place this function in a normal module and use it as a UDF. Format the result cell as date/time! Regards, Stefi „JonniP” ezt írta: ...

Create a user-defined cell to display shape's layer name
How can I reference a shape's own layer name to display as a field? Specifically, I want to create a text box with a custom formula or user-defined field that display's that shape's one and only layer name. I can display the layerMember index by using "=LayerMember", but can't figure out the name. Please no VB/VBA. Thanks. The 1st thing to do might be just making custom propery on the page. Then please open the shapesheet of the page, add rows to the Custom Preperty Section, (or Shape Data in Visio 2007). The number of rows are as same as the number of layers. An...

Text "12:00 AM" to Time Format
I have some data that was text and in time format such as: 12:00 AM 12:30 AM 1:00 AM 1:30 AM When I change the format of the column to Time it is still behaving a text. If I sort the column the data is sorting in the followin order: 1:00 AM 1:00 PM 1:30 AM 1:30 PM Even if I paste the columns data into a new spredsheet that already ha the column format in time it will not behave as a time field. Is there a way to convert the text data to time? Thanks in advance. M -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi after changing the format try the following: - select an empty cell a...

If statement not displaying text if conditions not met
I want to do a calculation which calculates selling price from either Margin % or Margin £ and if there is nothing in either field then I want to display the text "no margin". I have tried the following formula:- Sell Ex VAT: IIf([Margin %] Is Not Null,[Cost Price]+([Margin %]*[Cost Price]),(IIf([Margin £] Is Not Null,[Cost Price]+[Margin £],"no margin"))) However, if there is nothing in either field, then it returns #Error. Anyone got any ideas? What happens if you change "no margin" to 0 (zero). Does it then work? -Dorian "Ruth&quo...

Order by date
I have columns B6 to F6, where users will enter dates in mm/dd/yyyy format. Cells could be empty. Column A6 will contain names. I want to do an automatic update of the list as the user will insert/update dates. The sort order is needed to be in an Ascending order by dates. To do this the routine has to find the smallest date in each row, and then order the rows according to these smallest dates (smallest of these found dates first). If in any row there is no date, then this row will come first. Pls. help. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.Exc...

Replies and Forwarded email wont display pictures
Hey All, I have OL2003 and my wife has OL Express 6. I routinely get email alerts from Ebay which contains HTML content AND working pictures.. I have rules setup to automatically forward these to my wife. When my wife opens these in OLE 6, only the HTML tags and body are showing. It is like either my outgoing or her incoming is blocking the "grabbing" of the external picture links. I have tried every option on both sides including disabling AVG on both sides... I am at my wits end...Someone know how to get around this?? bama Another piece of data..I sent the email to myself an...

Excel 2007
Hi, weird question. I've got several thousand single-cell alphanumeric values (e.g., CUSA000040, CUSA000041). Basically they range from 01 to 10,000. However, some numbers are missing from the sequence. Is there a way to have Excel show the ranges of values that *do* exist in this long list? As in, 40-150; 151-200; 205-4000, etc., with or without the alpha prefix? Thanks very much! Hope this question makes sense! Assume your values are in column A on Sheet1. Insert a new Sheet2 and in A2 enter this value: CUSA000001 and put this in A3: CUSA000002 Then select those 2 cells and d...

How?? "comments" field required if "code" field =>20 (deadline nea
I'm creating a form and need to make the "comments" field required if the "code" field is =>20. I appreciate suggestions! Deadline Monster is lurking! User enters the job processing endcode value (numeric) into the "code" field. If the endcode is =>20, comments are required. (P.S. I don't know VB) Thanks! Star 1. Open your table in design view. 2. Open the Properties box (View menu.) 3. Beside the Validation Rule in the Properties box, enter this: ([code] Is Null) OR ([code] < 20) OR ([comments] Is Not Null) The rule is satisfied if y...

Display Date that does not change everyday.
I want to display the date when money is received, and I do not want the date to change everyday. Ex: =IF(K24="Yes",TODAY(),IF(K24="No",TODAY(),"")) However, this formula gives today's date and changes each day. I don't want it to change. See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/timestamp.html Regards, Peo Sjoblom "heater" wrote: > I want to display the date when money is received, and I do not want the date > to change everyday. > > Ex: =IF(K24="Yes",TODAY(),IF(K24="No",TODAY(),"")) > However, ...

"Cannot update the appointment because the corresponding item in the folder you syncronized does not match this item"
Using Outlook 2003 with Meeting Room Manager (MRM) plugin installed, I am getting the error message above when trying to edit or delete a calendar entry. If I say yes to resolve the conflict, two calendar entries appear identical. I am acting as a delegate for another Outlook 2003 user. I have not been able to find any specific information on this message and what I need to do to prevent a conflict which does not look like a conflict. Any ideas? url:http://www.ureader.com/gp/1070-1.aspx Contact support for the addin that you are using. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, C...

Why no more "Chart of the day: Asset and Liability"?
It is disappeared for several versions. This is my favorite. Monitor how much I have is my habit :> ...

SBS Exchange can't "talk" to Server 2003 Exchange #2
I am having a problem getting two Exchange Servers to "talk" to eac other. They are on completely separate networks. They can only se each other over the Internet. One has Exchange 2003 running on a Server 2003 Enterprise machine. will call this "OLD". The other has the Exchange that is part of SB Server 2003. I will call this "NEW". OLD has always been able to send and receive all internal and externa email. I set up NEW and it is able to send and receive email internally an externally to everything EXCEPT it can't send to OLD. OLD can send to NEW,...

Cannot Display Bitmap in Picture Control
Hi all, I am trying to show a bitmap from a MySQL database in MFC in a picture control. The code appears to work all the way up to the SetBitmap method. The bitmap is created successfully, but then I cant seem to bind it to the picture control. Any ideas?!?!? Many Thanks in advance, qryStr = _T("select bitmap from imageTable"); Query query = m_pdbCtrl->getQuery(); query << qryStr; Result res = query.store(); Row row; CString strData ; const char *image; const Result::const_iterator ie( res.end() ); for (Result::iterator iter = res.begin(); iter != ie; ++iter) { ...

How do you add details to a work order?
Hello all! I have a quick question I'm hoping someone would be kind enough to help me with. How can I add details to a work order? there's the small comments section, but it is not adequate for my needs. I would like to be able to add details regarding specific labor that is being done on a work order. Is this possible? Do I need an add-on for this? Thank you for any help/direction you can provide. Regards, jamie177 Aside from the Shift-F9 'Order Details' screen, the best thing is probably Ctrl-F10 'Item Comment' where you can add quite a bit of info abou...

Printing Purchase Orders to a PDF
We are using the print purchasing documents window and for example printing a range of 8 purchase orders to a pdf, is there a way to print each purchase order to a seperate pdf versus all to one pdf? Also where does the purchase order format default from on the print purchasing documents window? The PO format comes from the POP setup window (Tools >> Setup >> Purchasing >> Purchase Order Processing). The formats can be modified using Report Writer. There's not a way in GP to create a separate PDF for each document if you print a range of documents. Binary Stre...

Numbered Procedural Steps Alignment
I am a technical writer who uses Word a lot to write user documentation. I recently upgraded to Office 2007, and there are several things that I find are very unfriendly for writing procedures. The procedural template I use for one company uses Arial 11 pt font for the document content, and Arial 14 pt for the number of the steps, as well as call out on the screen images. The initial indent level for the procedures is to have the number at 0 left margin and the content that follows it indented to .25". This works great for 1 - 9, but when I get to double-digit numbers, it...

Restricting number of recpients a message can be sent to
Hi Folks Is there a way to restrcit the maximum number of recipients a person can send a meesage to, based on windows group membership? Ie: Group 1 can send to 10 users Group 2 can send to 500 users I know you can set this on a per user basis, just wonderig if there was a better way to do this for multiple users. Ta SuperPlay SuperPlay <SuperPlay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way to restrcit the maximum number of recipients a person can >send a meesage to, based on windows group membership? Not that I know of. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchang...

Purchase Order Workflow Question
I'm wondering if there is a way within RMS to enter multiple items quickly on a PO. Right now, I am having to go into the Add Item area each time, which is just an annoying and time consuming extra step. In previous softwares I've used, you can simply enter your quantities directly on a form in your item lookup without having to look up items each time. Is there a more efficient way to do this within RMS and I'm missing it? Try the "Quick Scan" button. -- Jason Hunt Advanced Computer Systems I would, except these are items that need to have barcodes generated w...

page numbering
Hi I am using Word 2007 - and have looked on the boards for answers but those I have tried haven't worked! I am working on a dissertation and have created sections for Title page/ Contents/ List of Illustrations and want {Page} of {Numpages} to start at Section 4 - Introduction and continue through the rest of the sections/ chapters (so far up to 11 sections). The first page of the Introduction is currently page 4 but I want to start the numbering there with page 1. I seem either to get numbering on all pages - or on the first page of each section and not the rest of th...

"add to dictionary" not active on right click
Using Word 2007 with Vista which is kept up to date via auto update. When spell checker (both auto and self run) highlights an "error" the "add to dictionary" option is greyed out on right click. ...