Deleting Custom Fields created in SQL Schema

Hi,

I read in another thread that you cannot delete custom fields created in SQL
Schemas.  Will this be something available in the next version of SQL or CRM
5.0 or how or when can this be done.

Concerned as we will have to create a large number of custom fields for an
upcoming conversion and if we need to delete any then we are "hooped".  Also,
what is the limit to the number of custom fields you can add?

Thanks!

Shauna
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

I am not sure on the next version of CRM if it will allow that or not.

Currently there is no way to delete fields. The limit is not really a limit
of CRM but rather of SQL. You are limited based on the size of the fields
you add rather than that number of fields.

We have run into the limit a few times and end up adding new fields with the
data type of memo as it stores this outside of the 8K page limit of SQL.

Sean
"Shauna Koppang" <ShaunaKoppang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I read in another thread that you cannot delete custom fields created in
> SQL
> Schemas.  Will this be something available in the next version of SQL or
> CRM
> 5.0 or how or when can this be done.
>
> Concerned as we will have to create a large number of custom fields for an
> upcoming conversion and if we need to delete any then we are "hooped".
> Also,
> what is the limit to the number of custom fields you can add?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Shauna

0
Sean
3/4/2005 2:41:17 AM
Sean, in this case can I decrease field size of the existing fields to make
room for new ones ?

"Sean Fullerton" wrote:

> I am not sure on the next version of CRM if it will allow that or not.
>
> Currently there is no way to delete fields. The limit is not really a limit
> of CRM but rather of SQL. You are limited based on the size of the fields
> you add rather than that number of fields.
>
> We have run into the limit a few times and end up adding new fields with the
> data type of memo as it stores this outside of the 8K page limit of SQL.
>
> Sean
> "Shauna Koppang" <ShaunaKoppang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I read in another thread that you cannot delete custom fields created in
> > SQL
> > Schemas.  Will this be something available in the next version of SQL or
> > CRM
> > 5.0 or how or when can this be done.
> >
> > Concerned as we will have to create a large number of custom fields for an
> > upcoming conversion and if we need to delete any then we are "hooped".
> > Also,
> > what is the limit to the number of custom fields you can add?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Shauna

There is interesting article:
blogs.msdn.com/mikemill/archive/2004/12/01/273258.aspx

It can help.

"HT" wrote:

> Sean, in this case can I decrease field size of the existing fields to make
> room for new ones ?
>
> "Sean Fullerton" wrote:
>
> > I am not sure on the next version of CRM if it will allow that or not.
> >
> > Currently there is no way to delete fields. The limit is not really a limit
> > of CRM but rather of SQL. You are limited based on the size of the fields
> > you add rather than that number of fields.
> >
> > We have run into the limit a few times and end up adding new fields with the
> > data type of memo as it stores this outside of the 8K page limit of SQL.
> >
> > Sean
> > "Shauna Koppang" <ShaunaKoppang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I read in another thread that you cannot delete custom fields created in
> > > SQL
> > > Schemas.  Will this be something available in the next version of SQL or
> > > CRM
> > > 5.0 or how or when can this be done.
> > >
> > > Concerned as we will have to create a large number of custom fields for an
> > > upcoming conversion and if we need to delete any then we are "hooped".
> > > Also,
> > > what is the limit to the number of custom fields you can add?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Shauna

I have heard that removing custom fields may be in the next release.  More
importantly trhough, they are changing how custom fields are implemented.  In
CRM 2005, custom fields will be in their own table, not in the main table.  As a
result, you will have the full 8k for your own data.  This combined with the
ability to add new tables should alleviate the strain we have seen with the 8k
limit in the current release.

MJ's article in the blog entry below is a very good article and covers all you
need to know about trying to remove a field in an unsupported manner.
Unfortunately, you can't change the size of a field.  This is more to do with a
replication issue than a CRM thing.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

"HT" wrote:

> Sean, in this case can I decrease field size of the existing fields to make
> room for new ones ?
>
> "Sean Fullerton" wrote:
>
> > I am not sure on the next version of CRM if it will allow that or not.
> >
> > Currently there is no way to delete fields. The limit is not really a limit
> > of CRM but rather of SQL. You are limited based on the size of the fields
> > you add rather than that number of fields.
> >
> > We have run into the limit a few times and end up adding new fields with the
> > data type of memo as it stores this outside of the 8K page limit of SQL.
> >
> > Sean
> > "Shauna Koppang" <ShaunaKoppang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I read in another thread that you cannot delete custom fields created in
> > > SQL
> > > Schemas.  Will this be something available in the next version of SQL or
> > > CRM
> > > 5.0 or how or when can this be done.
> > >
> > > Concerned as we will have to create a large number of custom fields for an
> > > upcoming conversion and if we need to delete any then we are "hooped".
> > > Also,
> > > what is the limit to the number of custom fields you can add?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Shauna

0
Matt
3/4/2005 4:08:58 PM
Hi Matt,

That is great news. Thanks everyone who got back to me, including you.
Shauna

"Matt Parks" wrote:

> I have heard that removing custom fields may be in the next release.  More
> importantly trhough, they are changing how custom fields are implemented.  In
> CRM 2005, custom fields will be in their own table, not in the main table.  As a
> result, you will have the full 8k for your own data.  This combined with the
> ability to add new tables should alleviate the strain we have seen with the 8k
> limit in the current release.
>
> MJ's article in the blog entry below is a very good article and covers all you
> need to know about trying to remove a field in an unsupported manner.
> Unfortunately, you can't change the size of a field.  This is more to do with a
> replication issue than a CRM thing.
>
> Matt Parks
> MVP - Microsoft CRM

> On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 04:07:04 -0800, "Renatas" <Renatas@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> There is interesting article:
> blogs.msdn.com/mikemill/archive/2004/12/01/273258.aspx
>
> It can help.
>
> "HT" wrote:
>
> > Sean, in this case can I decrease field size of the existing fields to make
> > room for new ones ?
> >
> > "Sean Fullerton" wrote:
> >
> > > I am not sure on the next version of CRM if it will allow that or not.
> > >
> > > Currently there is no way to delete fields. The limit is not really a limit
> > > of CRM but rather of SQL. You are limited based on the size of the fields
> > > you add rather than that number of fields.
> > >
> > > We have run into the limit a few times and end up adding new fields with the
> > > data type of memo as it stores this outside of the 8K page limit of SQL.
> > >
> > > Sean
> > > "Shauna Koppang" <ShaunaKoppang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

How To Create UI Automation Test Suites for VC++ 7.2 Application
Hi All Envoirement -: VC++ 7.2 OS -: Win 2000,XP As i can Develop UI Automation Test Suite For .NET Application Plz Anyone tell me,Can I Develop this Tool for VC++7.2 Application ? If yes ,How ? plz suggest me for it. Regards Tarandeep Singh tarandeep@abosoftware.com Fundamentally, this is hard. There are some commercial programs out there that do this, but getting a test suite that works well, particularly in all resolutions, and is fully scriptable, is a nontrivial problem (well, let's put it this way: I would not accept a fixed-price contract to do this, and wou...

How to get TASK_ID field for summary tasks without using Project.a
I know for tasks which are not summary tasks we can get TASK_ID field using statusing web service. But i could nto find any other options than Project web service to get TASK_ID field for summary tasks and the top level project task. Problem of using Project web service is that in my custom sharedpoint web part where we are using PSI web services we get all the data required using Resource and Statusing web service for the logged in resource. But Statusing web service retrieves TASK_ID only for actual tasks and not for summary tasks. Now just to get TASK_ID of summary tas...

Can't get the proper display of a field in my report.
I have 2 tables, both using autonumbers for their primary key. The first table is for contacts (i.e. last name, first name, etc.). The second table is for businesses (business name, etc.) I have a field in my contacts table that has a number format so it can be used as a foreign key for the business table. I then set up the relationship between them & enforced referential integrity. When I run a query, I see the name of the business (after setting up a combo box) - no problem. When I run a report based on that query, a number is displayed (not the business name). Suggestions, pleas...

Customize Toolbar corrupted
When I try to customize the toolbar so that I can integrate Outlook Express newsreader in Outlook the "New" button does not appear in Command under "Go". I tried several things: a) repair b) reinstall c) uninstall and reinstall Still nothing works. How can I uninstall completely and star all over again. Or if I knew what file or dll is used I may be able to copy one from another computer. IF You are not looking in the right place place for "News" - I assume that's what you mean by "New" in your post. In Outlook try this, right click on th...

With a Query in Access 2007, How can I Create This Query
I need a query that will list all records in table 1 for which there are no auditor records (Table 3). Somehow, I need to use the relationship between tables 2 and 3 to find what's not in table 1. The following query gives me a list of all records that do have auditor records. I'm at a dead end on this one. Query SELECT PTOTNamesTbl.PTOTAuditingTherapist, PTOTAuditingTherapist.PTOTFirstName, PTOTAuditingTherapist.PTOTLastName, AuditDetailInitialEval.TherapistLastName, PTOTNamesTbl.PTOTFirstName, PTOTNamesTbl.PTOTLastName, AuditDetailInitialEval.Medicare, AuditDet...

Transferring Field from Existing Table/limitations and change of d
Thank you in advance for your help! I have two Excel spreadsheets that I successfully imported into Access 2003 and created tables for. I need to add the field from one table to the other, but there is not a direct match in the relationship. The large table uses the Employee ID as the primary key. The smaller table contains one field that lists a subset of these Employee ID numbers (a selection of certain employees). I need to transfer this field to the larger table, but I do not know how to tell Access to match up the corresponding numbers (i.e., the large table lists all employees, bu...

How do I TRIM a field in existing fields....?
I didn't realize when I imported some data into my database that there were a bunch of spaces after all the data. I know that I can do a RTRIM the data in a query, but I don't want to have to remember every time I create a query to TRIM it. Do I have to use a query and make a temp table and then delete the data from my original table and then put the data back in from my temp table. I can do this, but wanted to know if there is a better way. Thanks Kelvin Kelvin A standard approach to importing (and "cleaning") data is to import/append to a temporary table, then ...

Creating a Calendar in Publisher
I have created a calendar page in Publisher. How do you save that design so that each consecutive month will hold the format? On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:31:02 +0000, Toni wrote (in article <A49FAC01-7290-48FA-9576-5FB4761A9CD6@microsoft.com>): > I have created a calendar page in Publisher. > How do you save that design so that each consecutive month will hold the > format? You use the correct tool for the job. Publisher isn't it. Serif PagePlus, OTOH, is. I have Publisher 2000 Can't you use SAVE AS and it saves as a Publisher file? If the tabs on the bottom are ...

report prefiltering does not work for custom entity
Please help. I've been trying for days but can't get the reports prefiltering to work for my custom entity. I created a simple report with the CRMAF_ prefix and deploy to the CRM server. The report works fine and display all data OK. Except the pre filter does not work i.e. the "Edit Filter" button does not show. My question is: Does report prefiltering works for custom entity? I saw a lot of posts regarding this topic and tried all the suggestions i could find, but still no luck. I tried the microsoft tutorial in creating a prefilterable report base on the account...

Help me create sales chart based on state and quantity
We have a production report on excel. It shows the details for our clients. Part of that data includes the state in which the client lives. We are trying to create a chart showing the percentages of each state( so we know where the most deals are closed) Any suggestions? Hello mr_merchant_man, this sounds like a job for a pivot table, using Average as the data calculation operator. Or, depending on your version of Excel, you can use AVERAGEIFS (in Excel 2007) or calculate an averate with a combination of SUMIF divided by COUNTIF. To be more specific, it would help to s...

creating a formul
Trying to create a formula to do the following: Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10 Sheet 2 has list of names a1-a10 and list of dollar amounts colums d1-d10 want to search sheet one and if any name from sheet 2 found on sheet 1 than the corresponding dollar amount is entered. Any help appreciated. -- George I bet you want to use =vlookup(). Debra Dalgleish has some nice instructions at: http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html George A. Yorks wrote: > > Trying to create a formula to do the following: > Sheet 1 column A a list of personal names a1-a10 > ...

How do I create a summary page from multiple worksheets
Trying to roll-up information from multiple worksheets within the same workbook to a summary page. These worksheets are copies of each other. For example: each worksheet has a column labeled "defect number". The users can record multiple defect numbers within a cell (e.g. 897, 992, 1001) So sheet1, row1 = 897, 990 sheet2, row1 = 992 sheet3, row1 = 995, 1001, 1012 sheet4, row1 = empty How do I (or can I) rollup this information to a summary page where sheet5 is the summary worksheet and row1 = 897, 990, 992, 995, 1001, 1012. Here's what I have so far [=Sta...

Using the classes created with xsd.exe
I have created classes from several xsd files. These files create about 150 classes and spot checking them they do represent types in the xsd files. the question is how do I use these files. How do I load data into them and create xml from them. Is there some articles about this subject. Thank you, -- Jerry Hi Jerry, As for the classes you've generated, are they normal classes or dataset classes? As for the normal classes you generated through xsd.exe, you can use XML serialization to convert those class instances into XML content or deserialize the XML content back into objec...

How to transfer Custom Views to another machine
Outlook 2003 How do you transfer Custom Views to another machine (no exchange server)? Thank you for your help. They are contained within your pst-file so if you transfer that you'll transfer the views too. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more ----- "John" <no.email@no.email.com> wrote in message news:usDhjJ7hHHA.4132@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Outlook 2003 > > How do you transfer Custom Views to another machine (no exchange server)? >...

how to delete Microsoft office
How can i delete microsoft office from my computer. i downloaded the demo but i don't want it anymore. Thank you "Dany" <Dany@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2B2C1A8-2A65-4E97-BE3B-EC2DC2D42107@microsoft.com... > How can i delete microsoft office from my computer. i downloaded the demo > but > i don't want it anymore. Thank you Control Panel, Add and Remove Programs, Microsoft Office, Remove. Dany Or if you cannot as Jeff posted then see the below http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218 -- Peter Please Reply to ...

Report repeats a field
Example: John Smith 2,14 5,27 3,18 John Smith 3,17 4,27 7,34 John Smith 1,22 6,57 8,92 I want that the report shows a name(John Smith) only one time like this: John Smith 2,14 5,27 3,18 3,17 4,27 7,34 1,22 6,57 8,92 The report get the informations from a Query that get the information from a table. One way to do this would be to set the "name" control's Hide Duplicates property to Yes. Another way to do this would be to use Sorting & Grouping, then Gro...

How to write schema

Custom Forms
Hello, A fellow administrator recently installed a custom form on our 2003 exchange server. One thing we noticed is that within Outlook 2003 the new form works just great, but we don't see it when logging into exchange via the web interface. Is there a way to get the custom for to be seen there? thanks! Sean no. 6-bit or 32-bit eforms won't display in OWA That isn't to say that you can't customize OWA, nor am I saying that you can't build all sorts of powerful apps on top of the Exchange store (i.e. non-mapi top level hierarchies and custom app-specific schemas,et...

Custom Forms 11-04-04
Hi All, When customizing a form in CRM 1.2 I cant find the way to edit the part of the forms that appear when you save a newly opened case. ie. When you save a new case it goes from having just the "information" button on the left hand side to having the activites and notes buttons. I'd like to be able to customise those areas. Is this possible through the CRM interface? If not how do you do it? Thanks All Tom You can add tabs to the left part of the screen via the ISV.Config file. For more information on that, refere to the SDK online. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---...

supplier info gets deleted
I have run a report for items in a category in order to organize them into the proper categories & departments I double click the item look up - properties opens - I change the deparment &/or category - OK When I look at these items again - the supplier information is gone - I have to reopen each one and re-enter the supplier! Can anyone tell me why & how to avoid this happening? ALSO in my category report I am finding some suppliers blank - but when I open the properties the supplier is there - I have to delete the supplier & re-add the supplier. Anyone know why &am...

Paging Size set up for sql 2005 best performance
erver windows 2003 sp1. 64 bits, Paging file size for selected drive C is (custom selected) Initial 2046 MB, and maximum 4092 MB. It is currently allocated 4081 MB. Computer RAM memory is 8GB. Server functions as a database MS SQL 2005 server, and it is used under heavy insert database operations The problem is that it can be seen on windows task manager there is on PF usage and Page File Usage hHstory around 8.2 GB paging file size not 4081 GB as it is given on virtual memory page set up. DoleBludger (DoleBludger@discussions.microsoft.com) writes: > erver windows 200...

deleting rows #2
i have200 rows in sheet- there are lets say 100 rows the title shipping i have another 100 rows with the title payments. they are in mixed in and not grouped together otherwise i could highlight them all together and delete-how do i delete all the ones that say shipping without clicking on each individual row. I am on excel 2007 trial cb wrote: > i have200 rows in sheet- there are lets say 100 rows the title shipping > i have another 100 rows with the title payments. > they are in mixed in and not grouped together otherwise i could highlight > them all together and delete-how d...

how to create leading zeros on variable length numbers
I have a column of variable length numbers/text (6-12 characters). I need to place leading zeros in each of the cells to create a standard length of 15 characters. What's the easiest way to do this? sleect cells or column then pull-down: Format > Cells... > Number > Custom > and enter 000000000000000 in place of general -- Gary's Student "MVPitts" wrote: > I have a column of variable length numbers/text (6-12 characters). I need to > place leading zeros in each of the cells to create a standard length of 15 > characters. What's the easie...

deleting duplicate value in columns
What is the best method to delete rows containing dulicate (same number) numbers in a column (Excel 2000)? The workbook has over 30,000 rows which makes it impractical to sort and then delete the duplicates page by page. Thanks in advance. Hi Jim have a look at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/deleting.htm#DeleteDuplicateRows Frank Jim Brokenshire wrote: > What is the best method to delete rows containing dulicate (same > number) numbers in a column (Excel 2000)? The workbook has over > 30,000 rows which makes it impractical to sort and then delete the > duplicates page b...

Outlook 2007 Outlook.exe deleting itself
I seem to be having a very strange problem. When I start Outlook 2007, it stalls and then deletes the Outlook.exe file. This is a relatively new problem (within the last week). All other files seem to be present. If I keep a full copy of Outlook.ext in another folder, that is also deleted. In some cases, after restoring the file, Outlook will start to come up but then stall and die. In other cases, it won't won't even start to come up but just deletes itself. I've run several different types of anti-virus software including AVG, Avira, Spybot and none seem to find an issue or he...