Data Import/ Data Map Questions

Hello,

I am developing a solution that will allow various new and updated
entities to be loaded from several source systems into a Microsoft
Dynamics 4.0 installation on an ongoing basis.  There are some up-
front components to the solution that detect new/changed source system
data that are custom but I wanted to be able to use the built-in Data
Import facilities within 4.0 to take the data from Excel files and
load it into the CRM.  I've looked at the sample code in the SDK and
have been able to write code that will do this, including use of
Picklist and Lookup (ie parent account) type columns; however, I sense
there are some big differences between data maps created in the CRM UI
vs. those created via CRMService code.

1) Why do Data Maps that are created programmatically using the
CRMService not show up in the UI?  Looks like you can make them show
up by flipping the IsValidForImport boolean; however, this attribute
is readonly on the importmap class.

2) When I try to import an XML file-based Data Map via the CRM UI that
contains <LookupMap> elements it complains they are "not a valid
element in a data map used for importing data"; however, I am able to
do lookups in Data Maps created via code with no problem - what's the
difference here?  Are more advanced concepts like lookups only
supported in code?  I would rather create my Data Maps in XML and then
import them for use when importing via code rather than creating them
each time in the code right before their use.

3) When creating Data Maps and using them to import data via code are
you supposed to create the data maps new with each import of a similar
file or can/should they be reused by retrieving them using their
Guid?  The SDK shows the former, that is creating and using them on
the fly, but this seems like it should be unnecessary.

Thanks for any help,
Todd Langdon
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Editing external data via ODBC
Hi, I'm in the process of transitioning an excel/access (2003) based solution to a web-based one. Right now, we have a dozen or so separate spreadsheets and a couple of access databases that get updated several times a day. I've managed to import most of the data into a mysql db which I've tried to normalize as much as possible. This will be the backend db for the webapp. I've set up an ODBC connection from excel to the db and it works like a charm; a few query tweaks and I can reproduce the data from all the separate spreadsheets. But now, how about going the other way? ...

What is the cell data reference for 5th row and 7th column called
Can someone help me with this question? I need to get the answer for my homework. Thanks for your help. I'm guessing, but might it be G5? -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit ! --------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Shy-di@verizon.net" <Shy-di@verizon.net@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A0979494-228B-435E-98F7-6BD26C900266@microsoft.com... > Can someone help me with this question? I nee...

Excel question ?
Hi, can anyone help me out with this .... I have excel 2003 table and sheet inside of it have some formulas. I would like to paste text data from notepad to that sheet without of erasing any of the containing formulas which are like I said already there. Thanx Hi Steve You could create a textbox from the ">View >Toolbars > Drawing menu, then paste your information in it. The textbox can be size and position any place on your sheet. HTH John "Steve" <steveaa@dzemail.com> wrote in message news:id0ci1$mh2$1@localhost.localdomain... > Hi, can anyone help me o...

Cell Contains Data.
How can I tell a cell that IF a cell contains data (numbers, text, whatever) do x or y. How can I identify data?? I don't want to tell the function to look for a specific number or text, just data, just something in the cell... =IF(A1<>"","Data","No Data") "GEM" <GEM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07916799-F312-4E89-A926-59356B74ED89@microsoft.com... > How can I tell a cell that IF a cell contains data (numbers, text, > whatever) > do x or y. How can I identify data?? I don't want to tell the function ...

Data Validation
I have noticed the "Ignore blank" check box in my Data Validation window (XL2003), but i cannot figure out what it does. Nor can i find an answer in the Help files. Just what does this option do? Thanks, Tonso Ignore Blank: If checked, blank entries are allowed. -- Hope this helps. If it does, please click the Yes button. Thanks in advance for your feedback. Gary Brown "Tonso" wrote: > I have noticed the "Ignore blank" check box in my Data Validation > window (XL2003), but i cannot figure out what it does. Nor can i find > an...

to Import Many items to existing database
Hi, Any better ways to import new items to existing database? I have tried to use QSC import tools but it only work during my testing period only, when I decided to use it for real work, it fail !!! Any suggestion will b very much appreciated. kase you may want to try the Retail Realm Import Utility. Contact me for more info. Afshin Alikhani - [ afshin@retailrealm.co.uk ] CEO - Retail Realm -- URL http://www.retailrealm.co.uk "kase" wrote: > Hi, > Any better ways to import new items to existing database? I have tried to > use QSC import tools but it only work ...

Compiling dataset using an XSD that has import and include tags
Hi,I am trying to create a DATASET object using an .xsd file that has an import tag. The imported .xsd in turn has an include tag for another .xsd. Is it possible to create a dataset based on such an xsd using the XSD.exe or are there any other tools available for this? FYI, the xsd tool works for this schema creating classes if the the path of the IMPORTED xsd is explictly given on the command line. But if I run it with the '/d' directive, it fails saying that the SchemaLocation attribute has an invalid URI. Please let me know any information on this. Thanks Rupa have you tri...

Another Edit Question
I have a form where, at first glance, only 1 field in automatically editable.. What I want is a button that releases all fields to editable mode. If anyone can help I sure appreciate it. Thanks in Advance! What I typically do is to use the controls' TAG property to be able to identify in code those fields I want to lock. I use something like LOCK in that tag and put that in the tag of each control I want to be able to lock and unlock. Then I use this to lock them (usually on the form's On Current event so it starts off locked): Dim ctl As Control For Each ctl In Me.Contro...

Import of Data into RMS 2.0?
We will be converting to RMS soon. Is there anyway we can import our old sales history(Monthly) into RMS 2.0? Hi newbie. I am not aware of a free utility that will import all data, including sales transaction history to your RMS system. Retail Realm has an Import Tool that will do this if your current system is Microsoft Point of Sale, possibly POS 2009, but it is licensed (meaning you need to pay for it). Otherwise, I believe you are limited to importing items, customers, suppliers, and UPCs as Aliases, no history. HTH..... "newbierms user" wrote: >...

How do you import a pdf file into Microsoft publisher 2003
I'm doing my kid's school directory. I have ads thathave been submitted as pdf files. How do I place those files on my pages. Microsoft doesn't give me the answer; neither does adobe. A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from rbpublisher <rbpublisher@discussions.microsoft.com>!"... > I'm doing my kid's school directory. I have ads thathave been > submitted as pdf files. How do I place those files on my pages. > Microsoft doesn't give me the answer; neither does adobe. You need to convert the PDF files to graphics suc...

Adding data from multiple cell and linking to a new worksheet
I have data in a sheet with names and amounts due. Like A 500 B 300 A 600 B 300 C 400 C 200 There is a second sheet named summary. I want the totals of each person to appear in the summary sheet. These should be linked cells and any change in data in sheet 1 should be updtaed automatically Create a PivotTable http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-pivot-tables.htm -- Regards Dave Hawley www.ozgrid.com "Rashmi" <Rashmi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56DC0F3A-8D60-4FE2-B778-3A07790EFE8A@microsoft.com... >I have data in a sheet wi...

CImageList and CImage question
I want to use an image list with a list control. I am using CImage to load a bitmap file (actually several files) like: CImage image; image.Load("test.bmp"); How do I add this image to a CImageList, which can then be used by the list control? -- Regards, Frank This looks ugly but seems to be the only way. CImage image; image.Load("test.bmp"); CBitmap Bmp; Bmp.Attach(image.Detach(); m_ImageList.Add(&Bmp,RGB(0,0,0)); Bmp.DestroyObject(); image.Load("test2.bmp"); Bmp.Attach(image.Detach(); m_ImageList.Add(&Bmp,RGB(0,0,0)); Bmp.DestroyObject(); .... ...

using data from another cell
I would like to type a name in one cell(1) then check in list (different column) if the same name is there, and if it is there get a value of another cell locate in the same row where. Can some one help me? Create your second list and use VLOOKUP as follows: Name is typed in: A1 List of names and values in: C1:D10 =VLOOKUP(A1,$C$1:$D$10,2,FALSE) "leo" <reani1996@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OiO5fCTWDHA.2268@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I would like to type a name in one cell(1) then check in list (different > column) if the same name is there, and if it is t...

data available to MS Access
I'm not able to see the multiple entries of a sharepoint item with a mulit-line text column --I can only access the text of the last entry. With other multi-value columns (attachments, single-line text, numbers, etc), I don't have a problem getting the multiple entries. ...

Data not valid error message
Access02 Have a Report which appears fine. But when you go from DesignView to ReportView it throws error: ~.."the data you entered for this field is not valid"... it doesn't say which field.....I can click thru the message and it reprompts this a few times (probably once per instance of invalid) and then opens fine. it does not do this when the Report opens ; only changing from design view... but it does do it if it is multipage and you need to go to the next page....so needs to be fixed... there's alot of fields and so am wondering how to troubleshoot....hunch is t...

How do I preset data to auto copy to a certain page
I have a Macro that hides and copies visible cells to worksheet 3, but, I have a certain row that needs to wait till the next page break befor copying so that I don't have to manually adjust them. Moving them manually takes 25 minutes 2-3 times a day, if there is a way it would really save me. ...

Ex 5.5 DL Question
Is it possible to limit it which users can sent mail to a Distribution list within my Exchange Org? an example of this is I dont want just anyone to be allowed to send mail to my "everyone" group.....I only want to allow Management & IS to have this ability. Thanks in advance for any help. Brian That's a feature of later versions of Exchange. "Brian Ullrich" <brianu@nospamtechinfo.cc-nospam> wrote in message news:Ockg8v9MEHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to limit it which users can sent mail to a Distribution list > within my Exc...

XSD One Multiple element question
Hi, I am trying to define a Key element for a vehicle schema. I have three ways to uniquely identify a vehicle such as URN, UnitID and Vin. I'd like to make a rule that ensures that at least one of the three is present, but 2 or all 3 can be present. I tried something like below, but it does not seem valid. Thanks in advance for any assistance anyone may be able to provide. Portion of schema is posted below. Hopefully it gives some idea as to what I am trying to accomplish. Best regards, Victor <xs:complexType name="VehKeyType"> <xs:choice> <xs:seq...

Volume Shadow copy question
Hi, I have E drive, where Volume Shadow copy takes snapshot of this drive, and copies them to G: drive If I loose E: drive, and re-install windows 2003 storage server with a new disk, how do I access G: drive so I can copy from Shadow copy. G: drive is used to backup E: drive using volume shadow Thanks MC ...

OWA Compatibilitiey Question..
Can users homed on an Exchange 2003 back-end server access their email through an Exchange 2000 front-end OWA server? Currently when they try it *appears* to work (it doesn't reject their logon credentials), but the page only loads partially with a lot of little red X image placeholder icons. Thanks! jim On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 10:50:52 -0400, "jim" <jim@NOSPAM.com> wrote: >Can users homed on an Exchange 2003 back-end server access their email >through an Exchange 2000 front-end OWA server? Currently when they try it >*appears* to work (it doesn't reje...

Finding unique items in data field for pivot tables
I have a huge pivot table I'm trying to create and for a critical item I select I get the following message: A field in your data source has more unique items that can be used in a PivotTable. Microsoft Excel may not be able to create a PivotTable or may create the PivotTable without the data from this field. Any ideas how I can find the duplicates and create the PivotTable with this field? Hello- Based on the message, 'duplicates' is not your problem, *Unique* items is. Pivot tables are limited to 32,500 unique items per field. So if you're analyzing product sales, for...

Excel data completely disappeared
Please can someone help me with a problem I am having. I created a spreadsheet with Excel and included a 'comments' column designed to appear with a mouseover. I saved the spreadsheet and tested it out, everything ok ... until I went to view it the next day and every single comment has disappeared !! Even the red triangles have completely disappeared ... this is really weird. Can anyone throw any light on this ? TIA, cool4cats -- cool4cats ------------------------------------------------------------------------ cool4cats's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?actio...

simple can't find form question
I have a form with some simple code behind it which reads like this: with Forms![frmNextFixtureTypeOption] .[lblNextAlpha].Caption = strNextAlpha .[lblNextNumeric].Caption = strNextNumeric end with stDocName = "frmNextFixtureTypeOption" DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria the second part (where I open the form) works fine, but the first (where I set the caption for 2 of the controls) does not - it returns an error "can't find form"... as always, many thanks in advance, mark O...

Chart changing based on change in data source (number of rows/colu
As I see, the data range for charting is normally fixed. I have to produce chart based on chaning rows and/or columns in data source table. Has anybody got some suggestion for me? Bal Ram Bhui - For Excel charts in general, I suggest Jon Peltier's web site: http://www.peltiertech.com/ For dynamic charts, I suggest: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Dynamics.html - Mike Middleton http://www.DecisionToolworks.com Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel "Bal Ram Bhui, Jakarta" <Bal Ram Bhui, Jakarta@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DD0B5564-26B0-4...

One more Newbie Question
We would like to print the customer's name on the receipt. I have no idea how to do that. It feeds too much blank paper through - after each transaction it feeds about 4" of blank paper. How do you stop it printing the credit card receipt info on the receipt? We use a separate credit card machine that prints its own receipt. It would be nice not to have to enter any credit card info, except maybe the approval code, but RMS forces us to enter the credit card info before being able to processing the transaction - a real drag. Thanks for the help! -- Bud Izen ...