crmsecurityserv running wild, affecting performance

This week, one of my clients is experiencing very poor performance with
their production CRM.  The CRM Security service (at least, a process
with the name 'crmsecurityserv') is consistently gobbling up 25% of the
CPU.  I suspect that this is the cause of the slowness.

This client is getting ready to integrate two acquired companies into
their CRM system, and has started to add business units (and has
reshuffled the parent/child relationships of some of the BU's).  I
believe that this is why that crmsecurityserv process is running;
trying to update the securitydescriptor with all of the new BU
relationships.   But, I looked at the account, contact, lead, and
opportunity tables, and the modifiedOn dates have not been altered, one
of the signatures of the updating of securitydescriptors.

We have rebooted the machine, and the crmsecurityserv continues to eat
up 25% of the CPU.  Does anyone know what this process could be doing
for going on 3 days now??  Is it related to the BU shuffle??  Is there
anything that can be done to stop this process from consuming the CPU
and get performance back up to normal??

Many thanks for any assistance,

Dave

0
Dave
6/22/2005 8:51:10 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

There is a file that is written into the mscrm\server\bin file (SBsometing.BIN)
that will have a fairly current date that indicate the security descriptor
update is still in progress.  How many records are in the database?  I've seen
this take a long time to complete, but usually less than a day.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On 22 Jun 2005 13:51:10 -0700, "Dave Carr (dave- no spam-@vscrm.com"
<dave@vscrm.com> wrote:

[...]

Matt
6/23/2005 5:34:17 AM
Thanks Matt,
In C:\Program File\Microsoft CRM\Server\Bin there is a file SSPCQC.bin
that has a create date of this morning...   So it sure looks like this
server is continuing, for the fourth day now, to process basic BU
changes...  I'm so glad that the securitydescriptor is gone in
CRM.next....

There are hundreds of thousands of records in Account, Contact,
Contract Line Items, Opportunities and Leads...

I suspect one of the issues may be that multiple changes were made,
moving bu's back and forth until they got it right... Lesson for all:
make BU or Role changes very carefully, and hopefully on Friday
afternoon...

Thanks Matt,

Dave

David L. Carr, President
Visionary Software Consulting, Inc.
Main #: 971-327-6944

To download a fully functional trial version of VAST, the Visionary
Audit System Tools for Microsoft CRM, visit
http://www.vscrm.com/trial.htm
Partners, be sure to come by booth #806 at the WPC to see new VAST
Insights historical data query tool in action!

0
Dave
6/23/2005 2:49:12 PM
Yeah, I have a client with over 300k Accounts & Contacts and simple role changes
take 8+ hours to propogate.  When you create a BU, you're actually creating a
bunch of roles along with it and I suspect it isn't smart enough to try to
combine the updates so it's going through 1 role at a time.

I don't think anyone will be sad to see the SecurityDescriptor disapear into the
sunset....

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On 23 Jun 2005 07:49:12 -0700, "Dave Carr (dave- no spam-@vscrm.com"
<dave@vscrm.com> wrote:

[...]

6/24/2005 10:19:35 PM
I am having the exact same issue.  Is there anyway to temporarily stop the
updates.  They have essentially brought things to a halt.

Thanks, Scott

"Matt Parks" wrote:

> Yeah, I have a client with over 300k Accounts & Contacts and simple role changes
> take 8+ hours to propogate.  When you create a BU, you're actually creating a
> bunch of roles along with it and I suspect it isn't smart enough to try to
> combine the updates so it's going through 1 role at a time.
>
> I don't think anyone will be sad to see the SecurityDescriptor disapear into the
> sunset....
>
> Matt Parks
> MVP - Microsoft CRM

> On 23 Jun 2005 07:49:12 -0700, "Dave Carr (dave- no spam-@vscrm.com"
> <dave@vscrm.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks Matt,
> In C:\Program File\Microsoft CRM\Server\Bin there is a file SSPCQC.bin
> that has a create date of this morning...   So it sure looks like this
> server is continuing, for the fourth day now, to process basic BU
> changes...  I'm so glad that the securitydescriptor is gone in
> CRM.next....
>
> There are hundreds of thousands of records in Account, Contact,
> Contract Line Items, Opportunities and Leads...
>
> I suspect one of the issues may be that multiple changes were made,
> moving bu's back and forth until they got it right... Lesson for all:
> make BU or Role changes very carefully, and hopefully on Friday
> afternoon...
>
> Thanks Matt,
>
> Dave

> David L. Carr, President
> Visionary Software Consulting, Inc.
> Main #: 971-327-6944
>
> To download a fully functional trial version of VAST, the Visionary
> Audit System Tools for Microsoft CRM, visit
> http://www.vscrm.com/trial.htm
> Partners, be sure to come by booth #806 at the WPC to see new VAST
> Insights historical data query tool in action!

Legato's EmailXtender
Good Morning, I have done searches but haven't found any mentions of performance problems with Legato's EmailXtender as a product. I have it installed on a dual 2.2GHZ processor Xeon server with a SAN backend for storage and 15GB of RAM. The PAE switch is not enabled but the /3GB is. I am running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition. EmailXtender Administrator seemingly freezes when pulling up the list of Indexes and other tasks, it's generally very slow. Any one else have experience with EmailXtender? How does it perform in your environment? Thanks! Hugh Legato themse...

MS CRM 4.0 Performance Issue
Hi, Are there any ways with which we can monitor MS CRM performance? Or how MS CRM performance can be increased? (Considering opening a new record, save and close etc). As we have deployed MS CRM for one of the client and where MS CRM is supposed to do all the processing’s in a second or two. Help highly appreciated. Thanks Bharat ...

Access 2003 code does not run in Access 2007
On my form, I have 2 unbound txt boxes, one named Search_Name and One named Search_Town. There is a command button named CmdSearch. On clicking the CmdSearch, the following code runs. In previous versions of access, it returns all records with names and/or towns that are entered in the text boxes and filters out records that do not match the search criteria. Why does this code not nork in Access 2007? Private Sub CmdSearch_Click() 'myfilter is the variable to be built that will be the filter string Dim myfilter As String 'like is in there to allow near matches, not exact matc...

Run-time Error 7
Hi: Every time that I open Microsoft Excel 2002 (opening a blank spreadsheet), I get a Visual Basic dialog box that says "Run-Time Error 7". It does not seem to be a problem, really. I just press the "End" button in this VBA dialogue box and Excel opens just fine. It's more of a nuisance than a problem. Does anyone know how to get rid of this box so that it doesn't pop-up? Thanks! childofthe1980s Hi There's a poorly written addin residing either in Excel's startup folder (see Tools > Options for location) or installed (See Tools > Addin for...

Outlook runs in the background
When I get in Outlook to check e-mail and then get out of Outlook, I have to completely reboot the computer before I can get back in Outlook. When I am shutting down, I get a screen that more or less says that Outlook is running in the background (although it doesn't show when I do Ctrl-Alt-Del). We have reinstalled Outlook, but it still hasn't helped. In Task Manager, on the Processes tab, do you see any instances on Outlook.exe or MAPISP32.EXE when this happens? Usually, Outlook not gracefully closing is caused by PDA software such as ActiveSync, FAX software, or other pr...

Running rules on mailbox other than the default
I seem to remember someone on her saying that rules in Outlook won't run on anything other than the default mailbox. I'm curious to know why that is and if anyone has ideas on how to get around that. My situation is as follows...I'm running Outlook 2003 that connects through Microsoft Exchange Server (I don't know which version). I have 3 different mailbox folders that I can access in Outlook: My personal mailbox (all the mail that comes in addressed to me), a mailbox for security issues (all the mail that comes in addressed to the security email), and another one for...

Script running isinteg -test for all mailbox stores on a server
Hi, Does anybody have a script for: 1. dismounting information stores 2. running isinteg for information store - output to a logfile 3. mounting information store again This would be a nice feature to run once and a while to check that everything is ok! Kind rgds Peter Jensen On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 10:33:17 +0200, "Peter Jensen" <peter.topp@mail.dk> wrote: >Hi, > >Does anybody have a script for: > >1. dismounting information stores >2. running isinteg for information store - output to a logfile >3. mounting information store again > >This would...

Boosting performance of CRM reports
I seem to recall reading that it is possible to boost the performance of CRM reporting by starting a second APS session. Is this correct? Tks...Graeme Hi Graeme You may be referring to a second Crystal Pageserver service? This is possible, but you may wish to watch CPU % for both pageserver.exe services, to be sure they are both actually being used. You should find some improvement from increasing the crystal cache server, information on this is hard to come by. Try increasing it to 512Mb, the default is 5Mb, this is a soft cache and uses disk space. Just add this parameter to the e...

error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Post-Build Event..."
Hi, I am getting this error error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Post- Build Event..." Not sure how to get rid of it. Can anyone please help? I am not sure what more info you will need to help me? Please let me know Thanks TS On Aug 12, 10:33=A0pm, Trups <Samant.Tru...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, > > =A0 I am getting this error > =A0error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing Post- > Build Event..." > Not sure how to get rid of it. =A0 Can anyone please help? =A0I am not > sure what more info you will...

Create files and performance design
Hi, I've a MFC VC++ 6 program which needs to be updated to write out image (jpg, 640x480) files at a rate of 1s. What is the best approach in designing the writer class, such that, it does not block the main thread while the images are written onto disk? My initial thought is the put the Writer class onto a separate thread? What are my alternatives? >My initial thought is the put the Writer class onto a separate thread? What >are my alternatives? Overlapped IO - see the FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED option of the CreateFile API. Dave You have a couple choices here. One is to ...

VB6 service under Server 2008 can't run another VB application
I have a VB6 service that has been running for years on 2000 and 2003. I'm trying get it to work on Server 2008 and it's not working. The service calls shell to run another VB6 .exe program. This .exe program is not being called when the VB6 service program is run as a service. If I run the program as an application, it works like it should. Obviously, something in 2008 needs to be changed to allow this but I don't know what it would be. sr Steve Ricketts brought next idea : > I have a VB6 service that has been running for years on 2000 and 2003. I'm...

Cannot run Outlook
I am running windows XP Professional and have a BT Yahoo Broadband connection. I can operate Outlook express but cannot even open Outlook. It keeps telling me that my server is not available and jsut shuts down. I have used Outlook with Windows 2000 and the same broadband connection. Any suggestions? Have you tried the repair installation? David "Marshall-Dyckes" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:fd4201c3be2e$866d50f0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I am running windows XP Professional and have a BT Yahoo > Broadband connection. I can operate Outloo...

Running code when hyperlink clicked
Hello, I am definitely baffled. I am trying to run code when a hyperlink is clicked. I am using Excel 2007, the hyperlink is created in a cell on Sheet 1 using "=hyperlink()", the hyperlink is to a video clip, and events are definitely enabled. I had tried two things, either of which would be fine: 1. I put the following code in Sheet1, and it did not respond at all. What am I doing wrong? Private Sub Worksheet_FollowHyperlink(ByVal Target As Hyperlink) Sheets("Sheet1").Range("B1") = "It Ran" End Sub 2. I put the following...

Microsoft Run Time Error Mesaages
Please can someone help me or point me in the right direction over an ongoing problem I have. Whilst using the Internet, I constantly get a Microsoft Message pop-up on the screen saying the "Run-Time" Error has expired. No matter whether you click on "OK" or the red cross box in the top left hand corner of the message box, the internet is immediately shut down and you have to reopen it to continue. This is most annoying when you are in the middle of a specific function on the internet. Can someone please tell me how to rectify this problem. ...

How do I create a running report on Excel
I am trying to create a running production census for a medical facility. I just need to know how to get the data to automaticly contine with the ongoing numbers. If your data starts in A2, put the following formula in B2 and copy it down your sheet. =A2+B1 HTH, Gary Brown "Michellle M" <MichellleM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:47144A4B-A4A6-4B5B-B9E1-20BD06743793@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create a running production census for a medical facility. I > just need to know how to get the data to automaticly contine with the > ongoing >...

Anyone get a Silverlight application to run in the Status Screen
I cannot get it to work. The friendly message of "This program cannot display the webpage" always appears when I add the silverlight app to the page. I turned off friendly messages in IE but that does not seem to change the message presented by store operations. Thanks KB ...

Run Query
Is there anyway in which I can run a select query, but only return say the first ten rows to save time? Running a query against a million records takes some time and whilst making ammendments I quickly want to review some of the returned formats (say the first ten). Ta Change the SQL statement from: SELECT ...... to SELELCT TOP 10 ..... For the TOP statement to work you need to have a sort field or ORDER BY clause. HOWEVER, it still needs to search through all the records. An index on the sorted field(s) can help. Better yet would by criteria or a WHERE clause to limit the records. ...

Two Domains, each running its own Exchange servers
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0242_01C63656.7A9FD3E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How does one allow access to the mailbox of another domain which is on a = different Exchange box? For example, I'm logged into domain1 with AD2k3 and runnng Exchange 2k3 = using my Outlook 2k3; I want to access my mailbox which is in domain2 = with AD2k, running Exchange 5.5... I tried giving permission on the = other user account on the Exchange 5.5 by entering in "domain1\user" = under ...

run total in excel
Iis there a formula that will keep a running total in excel example: C2=5 B2=5 total in A2 =10 now if I change C2 to 8 then A2 will be 18 and if I change B2 to 12 then A2 will = 30 I dont want to use VBA if at all possible -- grizz Hi Grizzly In A2 type =c2+b2 Any number you will type in C2 & b2 will be added to A2 Regards John "grizzly6969" <grizzly6969@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98451D4C-63CB-4913-A34A-9D327A3980A1@microsoft.com... > Iis there a formula that will keep a running total in excel > example: > C2=5 B2=5 total in A2 =10 ...

HELP: Running two Macros, one before the other
I have this Excel spreadsheet in which I want to automate, I have two macros once called Macro_GetData, and Macro_FormatData. Both these Macros work fine, but when I try to automate them it runs the 2nd Macro before the 1st Macro is even finish. I tried to use the "Application.Wait" command but that just stopped the macros entirely. What I want the macro to do is to run the first Macro (Macro_GetData) and when that's finished then run the second Macro (Macro_FormatData). The second Macro cannot work unless the first macro is completed. How can I go about doing this? Bobbak, It s...

Encountered errors while running Exmerge. Please Help!
I carefully followed Jim McBee's recipe for setting up ExMerge permissions (http://mostlyexchange.blogspot.com/2005/07/recipe-for-setting-up-permissions-to.html). However, I still couldn't get it working. I created a domain user and a global security group. I added the user to that security group. Then, I delegated the "Exchange view only administrator" right to the group over the First Administrative Group object (Of course, I added the required registry entry to enable the security tab). I also granted Send AS and Receive As right to the group over the Exchange store...

Running macro when starting worksheet
Is there a way when you open a Excel Spreadsheet to automatically run before any manipulation of the file happens? Any help would be great. Thanks. C.Fillmore Two ways, Create a macro named Auto_Open or add the code to the Workbook_Open event in the ThisWorkbook code modeul. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "surveyorinva" <surveyorinva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FAB3C72E-4D69-49D0-A621-363DE617A035@microsoft.com... > Is there a way when you ope...

how to make that the subform can grow without running over the textboxes at the bottom of the mainform.
Hi I have mainform that contains textboxes then subform datasheet beneath and after that there is a textboxes again. The problem is when the mainform grows it runs over the textboxes that at the button of the main form. I need to know how to make that the subform can grow without running over the textboxes at the bottom of the mainform. Thanks Set the Can Grow attribute for the detail section, assuming that's where the various controls are located. HTH -- -Larry- -- "Chipcom" <bz1977@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1191388299.890979.46580@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.co...

flash pdd/mdd aritechture work fine but performance is poor
Dear all, I port flash fmdwrapperpdd code into my wince6.0 bsp , flashpart.dll call flashmdd.dll, and flashmdd.dll call flashpdd.dll, everything work fine. but recently a performance issue appeared: In fal/fmd artitechure , speed of read file is 9M/s, (test read a 10M file in serveral times,then get average speed), but in flash mdd aritechure, the speed only 5M/s, the question is seriously. and if i skip flashpart (maybe skip flash mdd) , just call ioctl supported by flash ppd, the speed is 9M/s, so i judged the question must caused by flashpart driver or Mdd layer, and...

How to create a report with Frames running based on a linkage
Hi All, I want to build a SSRS report with two frames (or windows )in it. The way I want the report to work in on the left hand frame I will source data from a query to list products. When the user clicks on left hand frame on a product I want the right hand frame to list all sales for that product. I want to keep both the left and right frames to be visible. Please note the left frame is running a query creating a dataset something like this: SELECT ProductName From Products where region = p_region (the region is selected as a report parameter) I want the list of pr...