CRM3 and Reporting Service challenges

Hello to all.

As with many others, it seems that I am also having some challenges in
making CRM and Reports to work.
SET-UP (note, name of server and DB changed)
CRM and SQL on SRVSQL
Reporting service on SRVRPT
DC on SRVDC
Exchange on SRVEXCH
SRVSQL AD Account was put into the "pre-windows2000 group"
SRVSQL properties for delegation as been set to "trust this computer for
delegation to specified services only", with "use any protocol" and HTTP as
the service type for the computer SRVRPT (tried Kerberos only with no result)

After the installation that went very well, we noticed that when users go to
REPORT, we get an error message (don't even see the lists of reports).

On the SRVSQL, logged in as the admin of the domain (and the account used
for install) we are able to SEE the report, BUT doubleclicking gives a "do
not have priviledge" error, and using the ACTION->RUN REPORT we get;
An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)
Cannot create a connection to data source 'CRM'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection)
Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL
Server connection.

After viewing a few of the posts here, I went to check directly into the
Reporting Services on SRVRPT, into the "Site" created by the installation,
clicked on DETAILS to have a look at the MSCRM_DATASOURCE.
I got reports working for the ADMIN account by playing with the security
options;
-The first time by "forcing" to enter username/password after RUNNING a
report (doubleclick still produced and error message).
-Using the "credential stored" and putting the domain admin account, and
enabling "use windows credential"
-Same as precedent, but also enabling the "Impersonate the authenticated
user..."

Again, all these got the report working on the SRVSQL, but no users, even
the domain admin and CRM accounts with every Roles enabled, are able to see
the reports remotly.

SO it looks like it is all a security/authentication not being "passed"
correctly, but WHERE?
I even tried a "trick" used with Sharepoint by making sure the site is part
of the IE Intranet list and that IE passes the user authentication to no
better results.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Serge Ayotte
0
Ayotte (1)
12/21/2005 7:11:02 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Many including myself have been suffering from the dreaded "Trust for
Delegation" issue.

Mine has just been solved. Prior to trying the 1.2 to 3.0 uprade, I had
manually installed SQL Reporting Services and RS SP2 on our SQL box. Then the
ugrade of CRM would not work because of the Trust for Delegation issue
despite the fact that this had been configure for the CRM computer account in
AD. So I burnt a support call and the advice was spot on.

It was this: if you have only just installed Reporting Services in order to
service CRM 3.0 then uninstall it and let CRM 3.0 install it the way it wants
it done. This worked.

John
--
John Balsillie

"Serge Ayotte" wrote:

> Hello to all.
>
> As with many others, it seems that I am also having some challenges in
> making CRM and Reports to work.
> SET-UP (note, name of server and DB changed)
> CRM and SQL on SRVSQL
> Reporting service on SRVRPT
> DC on SRVDC
> Exchange on SRVEXCH
> SRVSQL AD Account was put into the "pre-windows2000 group"
> SRVSQL properties for delegation as been set to "trust this computer for
> delegation to specified services only", with "use any protocol" and HTTP as
> the service type for the computer SRVRPT (tried Kerberos only with no result)
>
> After the installation that went very well, we noticed that when users go to
> REPORT, we get an error message (don't even see the lists of reports).
>
> On the SRVSQL, logged in as the admin of the domain (and the account used
> for install) we are able to SEE the report, BUT doubleclicking gives a "do
> not have priviledge" error, and using the ACTION->RUN REPORT we get;
> An error has occurred during report processing. (rsProcessingAborted)
> Cannot create a connection to data source 'CRM'. (rsErrorOpeningConnection)
> Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL
> Server connection.
>
> After viewing a few of the posts here, I went to check directly into the
> Reporting Services on SRVRPT, into the "Site" created by the installation,
> clicked on DETAILS to have a look at the MSCRM_DATASOURCE.
> I got reports working for the ADMIN account by playing with the security
> options;
> -The first time by "forcing" to enter username/password after RUNNING a
> report (doubleclick still produced and error message).
> -Using the "credential stored" and putting the domain admin account, and
> enabling "use windows credential"
> -Same as precedent, but also enabling the "Impersonate the authenticated
> user..."
>
> Again, all these got the report working on the SRVSQL, but no users, even
> the domain admin and CRM accounts with every Roles enabled, are able to see
> the reports remotly.
>
> SO it looks like it is all a security/authentication not being "passed"
> correctly, but WHERE?
> I even tried a "trick" used with Sharepoint by making sure the site is part
> of the IE Intranet list and that IE passes the user authentication to no
> better results.
>
> Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
>
> Serge Ayotte
Thanks, but this does not solve my situation, since the reporting is
installed for other uses then CRM3, and as mentionned on a different
computer...
<sigh>

Unless someone else comes up with an answer, it looks like many days "in
lab" to install a fresh one and see what difference there is between a CRM
doing the install, compare to simply using an existing Reporting service.

To me (and even more to futur costemer) I don't think a "re-install" should
be the answer to solving this challenge.

"John Balsillie" wrote:

> [...]
> > options;
> > -The first time by "forcing" to enter username/password after RUNNING a
> > report (doubleclick still produced and error message).
> > -Using the "credential stored" and putting the domain admin account, and
> > enabling "use windows credential"
> > -Same as precedent, but also enabling the "Impersonate the authenticated
> > user..."
> >
> > Again, all these got the report working on the SRVSQL, but no users, even
> > the domain admin and CRM accounts with every Roles enabled, are able to see
> > the reports remotly.
> >
> > SO it looks like it is all a security/authentication not being "passed"
> > correctly, but WHERE?
> > I even tried a "trick" used with Sharepoint by making sure the site is part
> > of the IE Intranet list and that IE passes the user authentication to no

Serge,

Before uninstalling Reporting Services as directed by MS Support, I had
tried various combinations on the Delegation tab of the properties of the CRM
server computer object in AD Users and Computers. Rebboted the CRM server
after each change then retried the upgrade with no success - each time
getting the same Trust for Delegation warning message.

AFter doing the RS uninstall and letting the CRM install do itself here is
what it appears to have done with respect to the delegation tab for the CRM
server:

Trust this computer for delegation to specified services only
      Use any authentication protocol
            Service Type:  MSSQLSvc
            User or computer:   SLQ & RS server
            Port:   1433

There were no modifications to the Delegations for the SQL server computer
object. I have this set to "Trust this computer for delegation to any service
(Kerberos only)"

You might like to try manually configuring these delegations before trying
the CRM install again

--
John Balsillie

"Serge Ayotte" wrote:

> [...]
> > > options;
> > > -The first time by "forcing" to enter username/password after RUNNING a
> > > report (doubleclick still produced and error message).
> > > -Using the "credential stored" and putting the domain admin account, and
> > > enabling "use windows credential"
> > > -Same as precedent, but also enabling the "Impersonate the authenticated
> > > user..."
> > >
> > > Again, all these got the report working on the SRVSQL, but no users, even
> > > the domain admin and CRM accounts with every Roles enabled, are able to see
> > > the reports remotly.
> > >
> > > SO it looks like it is all a security/authentication not being "passed"
> > > correctly, but WHERE?
> > > I even tried a "trick" used with Sharepoint by making sure the site is part
> > > of the IE Intranet list and that IE passes the user authentication to no

Microsoft has published additional information on reporting

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=51bf9f20-bd00-4759-8378-b38eefda7b99&DisplayLang=en

=========================
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP
http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/crm/community/microsoft_crm_community.mspx

"John Balsillie" <JohnBalsillie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Serge,
>
> Before uninstalling Reporting Services as directed by MS Support, I had
> tried various combinations on the Delegation tab of the properties of the
> CRM
> server computer object in AD Users and Computers. Rebboted the CRM server
> after each change then retried the upgrade with no success - each time
> getting the same Trust for Delegation warning message.
>
> AFter doing the RS uninstall and letting the CRM install do itself here is
> what it appears to have done with respect to the delegation tab for the
> CRM
> server:
>
> Trust this computer for delegation to specified services only
>      Use any authentication protocol
>            Service Type:  MSSQLSvc
>            User or computer:   SLQ & RS server
>            Port:   1433
>
> There were no modifications to the Delegations for the SQL server computer
> object. I have this set to "Trust this computer for delegation to any
> service
> (Kerberos only)"
>
> You might like to try manually configuring these delegations before trying
> the CRM install again
>
> --
> John Balsillie
>

> "Serge Ayotte" wrote:
>
>> Thanks, but this does not solve my situation, since the reporting is
>> installed for other uses then CRM3, and as mentionned on a different
>> computer...
>> <sigh>
>>
>> Unless someone else comes up with an answer, it looks like many days "in
>> lab" to install a fresh one and see what difference there is between a
>> CRM
>> doing the install, compare to simply using an existing Reporting service.
>>
>> To me (and even more to futur costemer) I don't think a "re-install"
>> should
>> be the answer to solving this challenge.
>>
>> "John Balsillie" wrote:
>>
>> > Many including myself have been suffering from the dreaded "Trust for
>> > Delegation" issue.
>> >
>> > Mine has just been solved. Prior to trying the 1.2 to 3.0 uprade, I had
>> > manually installed SQL Reporting Services and RS SP2 on our SQL box.
>> > Then the
>> > ugrade of CRM would not work because of the Trust for Delegation issue
>> > despite the fact that this had been configure for the CRM computer
>> > account in
>> > AD. So I burnt a support call and the advice was spot on.
>> >
>> > It was this: if you have only just installed Reporting Services in
>> > order to
>> > service CRM 3.0 then uninstall it and let CRM 3.0 install it the way it
>> > wants
>> > it done. This worked.
>> >
>> > John
>> > --
>> > John Balsillie

0
John
12/23/2005 3:50:55 PM
Hi John,

The problem is that this article did not sove my problem.

Here is the situation I had:
Configuration 1
Path A
No Host Headers
Network Service account.

In this situation, the article directs you to configure constrained
delegation for the http service.

This did not work.

I had to uninstall Reporting Services (as directed by MS Product Support
Services) and then direct the CRM 3.0 installation process to install RS.

Looking back at the delegations after the successful install, it was the
MSSQLSvc that had been added as a constrained delegation. This is not
mentioned in the article for the conditiond specified above.

When discussing things with Product Support, I expressed concern about where
the CRM install would install RS as I wanted it to go on my SQL server and
not my CRM server. I was assured that I would go on the SQL server. Well the
RS databases did - but the IIS virtual directories went onto the CRM server.
I am now stuck with them there. Not happy about that but at least CRM finally
installed.

John Balsillie
--
John Balsillie