CRM without Exchange Server ?

Do I need to install Exchange server to use Microsoft CRM ?
Or can I use it without  it ? I have Linux Servers, but microsoft mail
clients...

crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

You do not need Exchange for CRM.

But you do need Exchange for CRM Email

"Joe Cactus !!!" <Joe Cactus !!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do I need to install Exchange server to use Microsoft CRM ?
> Or can I use it without  it ? I have Linux Servers, but microsoft mail
> clients...

0
Peter
7/14/2005 5:04:55 PM
Joe;

There are a few ISV's who make products that allow MS CRM to send e-mail
without the need for Exchange.  If you're interested, click the link below
and check out the Alt-Mail application (scroll to the bottom)

http://www.salentica.com/xrmModule.aspx

There are other ISV's with similar components as well.

Dave

"Joe Cactus !!!" <Joe Cactus !!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Do I need to install Exchange server to use Microsoft CRM ?
> Or can I use it without  it ? I have Linux Servers, but microsoft mail
> clients...

0
Dave
7/18/2005 2:20:42 PM
Do you think workflow in MSCRM can run without Exchange?

Rgds,
Frans

"Dave Ireland" <direland@salentica.com> wrote in message
> Joe;
>
> There are a few ISV's who make products that allow MS CRM to send e-mail
> without the need for Exchange.  If you're interested, click the link below
> and check out the Alt-Mail application (scroll to the bottom)
>
> http://www.salentica.com/xrmModule.aspx
>
> There are other ISV's with similar components as well.
>
> Dave
>

> "Joe Cactus !!!" <Joe Cactus !!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > Do I need to install Exchange server to use Microsoft CRM ?
> > Or can I use it without  it ? I have Linux Servers, but microsoft mail
> > clients...

0
Frans
7/20/2005 10:35:13 PM
exchange is only needed to send and receive emails from Microsoft CRM so yes
workflow works without exchange

--
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP

"Frans" <fransc@gawab.com> wrote in message
> Do you think workflow in MSCRM can run without Exchange?
>
> Rgds,
> Frans
>
> "Dave Ireland" <direland@salentica.com> wrote in message
> > Joe;
> >
> > There are a few ISV's who make products that allow MS CRM to send e-mail
> > without the need for Exchange.  If you're interested, click the link
below
> > and check out the Alt-Mail application (scroll to the bottom)
> >
> > http://www.salentica.com/xrmModule.aspx
> >
> > There are other ISV's with similar components as well.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> > "Joe Cactus !!!" <Joe Cactus !!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message
> > > Do I need to install Exchange server to use Microsoft CRM ?
> > > Or can I use it without  it ? I have Linux Servers, but microsoft mail
> > > clients...

0
John
7/21/2005 6:35:09 AM
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 05:35:13 +0700, "Frans" <fransc@gawab.com> wrote:

>Do you think workflow in MSCRM can run without Exchange?

Yes. You can also handle email activities without exchange but
remember that they are just notes about activities and not actions. ie
just because CRM has a workflow saying send an email and it says it
did it doesn't mean that anything was sent by email.

0
JB
7/21/2005 8:31:51 AM
Workflow can indeed send emails

"JB" <this.is.me@somewhere.else> wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 05:35:13 +0700, "Frans" <fransc@gawab.com> wrote:
>
>>Do you think workflow in MSCRM can run without Exchange?
>
> Yes. You can also handle email activities without exchange but
> remember that they are just notes about activities and not actions. ie
> just because CRM has a workflow saying send an email and it says it
> did it doesn't mean that anything was sent by email.

0
Peter
7/21/2005 11:31:53 AM
On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:31:53 +0100, "Peter Lynch"
<peter.lynch@optevia.com.SPAMFREE> wrote:

>Workflow can indeed send emails
>

>"JB" <this.is.me@somewhere.else> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 05:35:13 +0700, "Frans" <fransc@gawab.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Do you think workflow in MSCRM can run without Exchange?
>>
>> Yes. You can also handle email activities without exchange but
>> remember that they are just notes about activities and not actions. ie
>> just because CRM has a workflow saying send an email and it says it
>> did it doesn't mean that anything was sent by email.

I know workflow can send emails when you have exchange connected. The
problem is that if you run it without exchange it will still appear to
be sending email.

0
JB
7/21/2005 12:33:46 PM
Oh, I see!

> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:31:53 +0100, "Peter Lynch"
> <peter.lynch@optevia.com.SPAMFREE> wrote:
>
>>Workflow can indeed send emails
>>

>>"JB" <this.is.me@somewhere.else> wrote in message

>>> Yes. You can also handle email activities without exchange but
>>> remember that they are just notes about activities and not actions. ie
>>> just because CRM has a workflow saying send an email and it says it
>>> did it doesn't mean that anything was sent by email.
>>>

> I know workflow can send emails when you have exchange connected. The
> problem is that if you run it without exchange it will still appear to
> be sending email.

0
Peter

Exchange 5.5 Distribution Lists
I am running in Exchange 5.5/2000 mixed mode and I have noticed that if I change ownership of a distribution list using Exchange Admin, the permissions of that object are not automatically updated (I have to manually give the "owner" the permission needed to add members to the list). Is this some old Exchange 5.5 thing??? ...

Exchange public folder replication
I have a situation where i'm going to be taking out our first exchange server in the organization(i already have another exchange server that's been running for the organization for some time). Have already replicated public folders to the other server and rehomed the address book and rehome the schedule + free busy folder, have moved all the mailboxes and rehome the recipient update service. When i go to turn off replication and check the replication status under public folders, replication, details. I notice that some of the folders have a status of local modified, on the f...

Changed user in AD, but can't change in CRM 3
Hello, I've got CRM 3 on SBS 2003, I just had a one person leave and a replacement come in. So I have renamed the account in AD, and thats working fine. But I cant change/delete the original account in CRM. I cant add the new persons account. When I try to add the new person, CRM seems to look in AD and says the account is already in use. Possibly a problem with the SID ? Anyone found a way around this, or come across it before? And I disabled the original account, and still could not add the new person. The following post discusses the situation... http://www.microsoft.com/Bus...

CRM v1.2 in a mixed environment
Hi All - We're planning to install MS CRM v1.2 in a development environment and we'd like to find out whether we can leverage existing CRM components. For example, we have SQL Server 2000 installed on a test server running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2000 installed on a production server running Windows 2000. The SQL Server and Exchange servers are in different domains. The test server for CRM will run Windows 2000 and is also in a different domain than both of these servers. f we establish a trust between all three domains will it be possible to successfully install CRM v1.2? I'...

Setup CRM 4.0 Test Environment
I'm looking for instructions on setting up a copy of our Live CRM 4.0 databases in a test environment on a single server. I've been all over and can't seem to locate a set of instructions for this. Thanks, Don I don't think you will have much luck finding documentation on test servers. I set one up and just installed SQL on a server and then did a backup up of the Production databases and then restored them on the test (development) server. Then install CRM on the development server and choose your restored databases. "DonInEP" wrote: > I'm looking f...

Log Shipping shrink the secondary server.
I have configured a log shipping setup, unfortunately I did not shrink the log file before taking the backup on the primary server. Now I realized that the log file on the secondary server is really big. The DB has been configure to be in standby & redonly mode... Can I shrink the secondary databases log file .. & what would the best method be for it Thanks If the log file needed to be that big on the primary it will also need to be that big on the secondary as well as they will have the same exact transactions applied. I haven't tried it but I see no reason w...

Customising CRM
Suppose I wanted to change the order of buttons on the Sales Page to : Accounts Further below Lead Opportunities Also to remove Contacts button since I intend using only Accounts > Contacts Would this affect anything, Im going through CRM SDK where they show how you can create your own buttons. Can anyone tell me if its ok to change the postion of the above ! You can't control this order in a supported manner. If you can figure out where to make the change, then go for it, but relize that it will be unsupported and could cause some issues if you need support. Matt Parks MV...

How to disabel "Excel" button in CRM
Hi, Dose anybody know how to get rid off the EXCEL button in lots of form in CRM, we don't want user can export company's data to EXCL file and take it away. Thank you ...

Delete email without opening?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: pop How do I delete an email without opening the message. I have received emails that I want to delete without opening but if I click on them to delete, they open. <br><br>Thank you in advance. > This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3343745054_1473713 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit Click on the massage with right ...

After restart exchange resends old email to clients
After I restart my exchange server (exch 2000) it will regenerate old email and send them to my clients. It doesn't matter wether I gracefully shut the system down or If it froze and I had to press the reset button. If any one could let me know why this is happening and what I can do to correct the problem I would appreicate it. -- Anthony I guess your Exchange servert is reprocessing all queues... If it's that, you can't do anything. Are e-mails duplicated in Inboxes? On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 06:41:05 -0800, "Anthony" <Anthony@discussions.microsoft.com> wrot...

Unistall Reinstall CRM
Help me please. I have been forced to do some Self Tech Support with SBS 2003 and feel as though I may have to uninstall-reformat- reinstall SBS 2003. With that I assume that I would have to do this with CRM as well. Does anybody know how to point me to the best step by step directions on doing this. I have done a search on this Newsgroup as well as in the KB with out results. I am a newbie, or I wouldn't be in this position in the first place so please keep that in mind if you give me direction. Sounds like you've got yourself a nice weekend project :-) You'll want to ...

CRM 1.2 to 3 upgarde Queue problem
Hi all, After a bit of mucking around we got CRM V3 installed sucessfully. We have found since then, upon testing various area's of the system that the Queue's aren't working. I have attempted to re-create the Queue, deleting and re-creating the AD user, configured fowarding using rule wizard for CRM exchange connector. Has anybody else seen this? know how to fix? Any help/ideas greatly appreciated. Regards, Nathan ...

How to change size of a drive on Exchange Server
I have a RAID 5 setup and have divided the space into 4 drives (C, E, F, G). One of the drives is too big (G), and I'd like to reclaim the space and give it to one of the other drives (F). The drive that is too big contains only Exchange transaction logs. Is there a way that I could stop Exchange, temporarily move the transaction logs to F, delete the partition that was G, enlarge drive F (which contains the Exchange database), and then redefine a smaller G partition for the transaction logs, all without losing data? Thanks very much in advance. On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 16:36:02 -0...

CRM e-mail router config error
Hi Whenever i run the email router config i get the following error (translated from dutch) "Client has discovered that the content of the answer text/html;charset=utf-8 was, but expected text/xml. I have the CRM4 running on another server, all the clients can reach it perfectly, upgraded to update rollup 1. There are multiple websites on the crm server, i am using the same url we use for web access: http://crm/companyname I have the feeling the installer is reaching the wrong site. Can someone help me out on this? thx! Hi I also have this when i want to configure the crm cli...

Management reporter Specify Server Connection
Hello, I am installing the client version of Management reporter but do not know how to find the SQL server connection. Could someone point me in the right direction. thanks ...

Trouble routing mail between 2 exc servers in the same routing gro
Hi, I have seen posts treating a similar problem but none seem to help so far. I have 2 exchange servers in a well connected routing group. The master server is Exchange 2K (latest SP) nad the member server is Exchange 2K3. Mail sent from the member server to anywhere gets delivered allright. But mail sent to the member server gets stuck in the queue of the master server (the queue towards the member server ) since it first receives the mail for the routing group. The Exchange System Manager reports that "the remote server did not respond to a connection attempt." but I have...

Send as another user without "Sent on behalf of"
I would like to enable some of our users to send messages "From" another mailbox without the "Sender" header included which results in a "Sent on behalf of" message in email clients. I am using Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003. I've tried it with and without the "send on behalf of" permissions added under delivery options. I've even created a test mailbox store with a test mailbox. I then enabled a user to have "Send As" permissions on that mailbox store. I did NOT add "send on behalf of" permissions on the individual mailbo...

How to enalbe offline Outlook synchronisation within Exchange 2003 with IMAP4
We have always had a Citrix environment (Presentation 4) for our Windows 2000 domain with Exchange 2003. Although we do have roaming users with laptops, they dial into the network via Citrix and use their email live. However, management want to change it so they access their email direct from their laptops offline, and then dial up to synchronise. I know this is something basic, but what do I have to do apart from enable the IMAP4 service on the Exchange server side - if anything at all? Thanks, Cronos You really don't want to go that way. Forget about IMAP4. If you are running Excha...

Contacts in Exchange?
I have a User, who has all their contacts, but when they try to send a e-mail....and go to contacts they don't appear to be there. Also, when I go to his contacts folder, if I click on the person all their info is gone except their name. Any ideas on why this happened? I know contacts are stored on the Exchange Server...anyone see this before? You need to install the Outlook Address Book (Tools, E-mail accounts, Directory section). If that is already installed, then go to the properties of the Contacts folder and go to the Outlook Address book tab and make sure that "show thi...

Bulk creating exchange 2007 mailbox users with more than 1 aliases
Hi, I'm importing users in bulk for Exchange 2007 as follows: > Import-CSV CreateRecipients.csv | foreach {new-mailbox -userPrincipalName $_.UPN -alias $_.Alias -name $_.Name -DisplayName $_.DisplayName -FirstName $_.FirstName -Initials $_.Initials -LastName $_.LastName -ResetPasswordOnNextLogon $true -database "tsh-exch-01\Mailbox Database" -org Users -Password $Password} Thanks to Bahrat for this one! (http://exchangepedia.com/blog/2006/11/exchange-server-2007-bulk-creation-of.html) We've a new Exchange 2007 environment and I have to migrate all our currently used ...

Making all outgoing email goes out through the front-end server?
I have a one back-end and one front-end Ex2k3 server. There is still a 5.5 server connected that needs to be decommissioned as it no longer has active emails or public folders. I have a routing group with all three as members. Currently, I am having delivery problems, especially to AOL. The reverse DNS pointer record goes to the front-end server on a DMZ. BUT when user send email to outside domains it goes out through the default gateway = not the reverse DNS IP address. Any suggestions? I tried adding the smart host to the routing group, but it didn't seem to work. Any suggests wou...

OWA Loading.... Exchange 2003
I had several reports from my users not being able to access their mailbox through OWA. They actually authenticate but OWA gets stuck on "Loading" and their mailbox is never displayed. After troubleshooting, I found that at least in our case the problem was caused by Exchange patch released earlier this week: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=888619 I uninstalled the patch and OWA is now working. Cheers. JP My company had the same problem with this hotfix (888619). We could authenticate to OWA, but the interface looked totally hosed. In our case, it is a brand new Excha...

Turn back on CRM for Outlook 2003
I right clicked on the folder Microsoft CRM in outlook 2003. I beleive it said "turn off CRM" or something like that and now all the folders and toolbars for CRM in outlook are gone. I've booted, restarted, everything I could think of. Does anyone have an idea on how to turn CRM back on so it displays back in Outlook Thanks Have a look under Help> About Microsoft Outlook > Disabled items. Failing that try under tools>options>other>advance>com addins (if this is ticked, untick, restart, tick again) Dav "posinet" wrote: > I right clicked on th...

Exchange 5.5 & Exchange 2003
I've noticed that there are thousands of junk addresses on the IMS Exchange5.5 and 2003 que. The orignator and destination is from all sorts of weird addresses. What can I do to stop this from happening? Make sure you are not open relay and none of your accounts have compromised passwords. Start here http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823157&Product=exch2003 Also check E55. Which of your servers is exposed to the Internet? Cobra wrote: > I've noticed that there are thousands of junk addresses on > the IMS Exchange5.5 and 2003 que. The orignator an...

Spam on Exchange 2003
Hi, I'm a bit new to the situation that I'm dealing with so any help would be greatly appreciated. Since last WED/THURS I have been receiving spam that is coming from our internal domain (ie. from myself to myself) I have not seen this recently now it seems to be users like (b, slba, etc.). I am running an Exchange 2003 server and I have no idea how to block this or get rid of it. I am only using the Exch 2003 built in Spam including IMF. Could anyone give me an idea of how to do this. I can provide Exchange Mail logs if necessary Please Help! Thanks, Jeff If your SMTP servers...