CRM does not work via Internet - Requires VPN connection

CRM 1.2 is not currently working via Internet. It requires a VPN connection.
Is there a way to make it work on regular internet or this limitation will be
addressed in the next version?
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Are you referring to the web client or the SFO client?  The web client can be
accessed publicly provided you have the appropriate ports open through your
firewall (default is 80).  However, there are some major security considerations
to doing this.  Unless you are using SSL, your company data will be being
transmitted through the internet unencrypted.

Due to the nature of the SFO client and it's requirements for SQL communication,
I doubt it will ever be available w/o a VPN.  The number of ports that would be
required to be open in the firewall would leave a company wide open to attacks.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:35:01 -0800, Dinesh <Dinesh@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

CRM 1.2 is not currently working via Internet. It requires a VPN connection.
Is there a way to make it work on regular internet or this limitation will be
addressed in the next version?

0
Matt
11/30/2004 5:53:19 PM
We also want to access our MS CRM server using a web broswer from a public
access point but have not been able to figure out how. Various posts on this
message board have said that it's possible but they have not gone into enough
detail.

We want to have the ability for internet users to access the CRM database
via a browser (understanding that there are signifant security issues). This
could be required in several senarios: remote CRM user access, demonstration
purposes.

We are able to successfully access the CRM Server from any PC in our domain,
however when we try to access from a PC which is not in the domain, to
simulate an external user trying to access the webserver, we are getting an
error message. We are connecting to the CRM server using
http:<CRMServerIPAddress>/crm and this is the response back from the server:

Server Error in '/' Application
Runtime Error
error settings for this application prevent the details of the application
error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however,
be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

We have tried editing the web.config file to try to provide more usefull
output but it made no difference.

We have concluded that to connect to the CRM server via web browser, you
need the following:
1) The user has a (valid) account set up in Active Directory on the Server
2) The client must be part of the Server domain
3) There must be a DNS entry for the client on the Server.
4) the Client must be set to use the server DNS (thru standard Network/IP
settings)
5) The user must have a valid CRM user account.

How can a user on a broswer not in our domain, access the CRM database?

Many Thanks
Josh Kelly
Advanced User Systems

"Matt Parks" wrote:

> Are you referring to the web client or the SFO client?  The web client can be
> accessed publicly provided you have the appropriate ports open through your
> firewall (default is 80).  However, there are some major security considerations
> to doing this.  Unless you are using SSL, your company data will be being
> transmitted through the internet unencrypted.
>
> Due to the nature of the SFO client and it's requirements for SQL communication,
> I doubt it will ever be available w/o a VPN.  The number of ports that would be
> required to be open in the firewall would leave a company wide open to attacks.
>
> Matt Parks
> MVP - Microsoft CRM

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:35:01 -0800, Dinesh <Dinesh@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> CRM 1.2 is not currently working via Internet. It requires a VPN connection.
> Is there a way to make it work on regular internet or this limitation will be
> addressed in the next version?

When you connect to CRM through the firewall, it should prompt you for network
credentials.  Make sure you privde a domain qualified login  domain\user.  That
should provide the needed credentials.

The machine does not have to be a ember of the domain, not is a DSN needed.  I
access CRM servers all the time with just an IP address.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

"Matt Parks" wrote:

> Are you referring to the web client or the SFO client?  The web client can be
> accessed publicly provided you have the appropriate ports open through your
> firewall (default is 80).  However, there are some major security considerations
> to doing this.  Unless you are using SSL, your company data will be being
> transmitted through the internet unencrypted.
>
> Due to the nature of the SFO client and it's requirements for SQL communication,
> I doubt it will ever be available w/o a VPN.  The number of ports that would be
> required to be open in the firewall would leave a company wide open to attacks.
>
> Matt Parks
> MVP - Microsoft CRM

> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 08:35:01 -0800, Dinesh <Dinesh@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> CRM 1.2 is not currently working via Internet. It requires a VPN connection.
> Is there a way to make it work on regular internet or this limitation will be
> addressed in the next version?

0
Matt

One domain on exchange server not accepting connections
I setup a second domain on an Exchange 2003 server, and thought everything was working. Now, though, mail going to the second domain gets rejected, but mail going to the original domain is still working. I can telnet to the original domain, but not to the second domain. I've checked everything I know to check (I've setup plenty of domains on Exchange servers, so I believe I've gotten the setting correct), but I just can't get it to work. The MX records are correct, and mail.theseconddomain.com resolves to the right IP address (the same IP as mail.originaldomain.com), so it sh...

CRM and Mobile devices
Hi, does anyone know what mobile devices the CRM mobile can be used on? Pocket PC 2003 devices including the Phone Editions. Jason Hunt Technical Product Manager Microsoft Business Solutions CRM This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Jerry Warden-Smith" <jerry_nospam@ibbd.co.uk> wrote in message news:8b8d01c4964a$0b08aa00$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, does anyone know what mobile devices the CRM mobile > can be used on? ------=_NextPart_0001_B285F5F7 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit In addition t...

Macro to sum doesn't work
I have numbers in Column G and Column I. I want to add the numbers and have the results display in Column J. Like so: G I J 2 2 4 5 3 8 1 9 10 I have set up a macro that does several things to the worksheet, and I want it to automatically add the numbers. The number of row changes each time the macro is run, which is once a week or so. Here is the code I have in the macro, but it doesn't work. It adds all the numbers in Column G to all the numbers in Colu...

12.1.1 Installed, But AutoUpdate Says 12.1.1 Still Required
After I successfully went through the reinstall routine, an AutoUpdater check still indicates 12.1.1 is required (I used the stand- alone version). I verified via Command+I that 12.1.1 is the present version of Word, PP, and Excel (I did not install Entourage or Messenger). Is this just a bug or is there some way to correct the false positive? "pendragon" wrote: > After I successfully went through the reinstall routine, an > AutoUpdater check still indicates 12.1.1 is required (I used the stand- > alone version). > > I verified via Command+I that 12.1.1 is the pre...

Ctrl + " Doesn't work
the function Ctrl + " to copy the cell above does not work on my home computer to copy a cell above. On all other computers I've used this shortcut works. What can I do to fix this? -- Thanks, Yo ...

links in live mail don't work
OPening an email in live mail I cannot open tje links in the emails. They simply don't work. No message, no reaction. The same mail on an other computer no problem. It seems like a restriction/security issue is causing the trouble. I'm using Windows 7. I also cannot reset IE 8 to default position Anybody a solution? Many thanks in advange, Gert http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop "Lampie" <nn@nn.com> wrote in message news:u0H6SHF6KHA.4940@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... : OPening a...

DFS shares don't show up but do work!
I noticed that when I do a "NET VIEW \\<any DC>>" our domain DFS namespaces show up in the list as expected on SOME of the DCs, but on others all I see is the expected C$, SYSVOL, and NETLOGON but no DFS name spaces.. As expected, I can do "dir \\<any DC>\<DFS namespace> and that works on ALL Dc's, *even ones where the dfs name doesn't show up with the NET VIEW* ! Any ideas?? I've not seen anything like this before... net view has always been accurate for me. thanks. - the singularity On May 28, 7:05=A0pm, singularity <anom...

CA's Brightstore High Avalability, does it work?
Does anyone have any real world expereince using Brightstore High Avalability to protect an exchange server? Does it work? Do I need two Exchange licences? Thanks for any info. Before you base your enterprise messaging subsystem on top of such a product, inquire about the quality of the vendor's technical support. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" <Scamp@nospam.com> wrote in message news:oss8j1lsa00be587o2bnuggc61em61cuq5@4ax.com... > Does anyone have any real world expereince using Brightstore High > Avalab...

"Microsoft Outlook Stopped Working" error
Hi all, may I firstly apologise if I seem stupid in anything I say here; I have always used another PIM programme in the past with only the occasional dalliance with any version of Outlook. I am running Vista (Fully updated) Home Premium on a Tosh laptop (32 bit) 1.73 Gb 2GM Ram. I recently installed Outlook 2007 (I also have Office Home & Student 2007 (service desk edition?) which I have been using for a year or so.) The problem is that I keep getting this error when using Outlook. (for example 4 time in 15 mins). I have removed the programme (to ensure no trace o...

DDE
In the access program (97,2000,XP, 2003) I was using DDE commands for sending data to Excel and creating charts. For the chart I was using Chart.Wizard which is faster than defining property by property the chart values. In 2007 this command is not executed. I don't receive an error but it does not work. Is this command not available in 2007 ? Has it been replaced by sth else ? ...

OWA not work properly
When users go to http://sitename/exchange they get the yellow OWA screen without the graphics. If I enter username, I get "HTTP Error 404 - Not Found". I have NT 4.0 SP6a, Exchange 5.5 SP4, and IIS 4.0 with all the latest updates. In Internet Service Manager, in the Default Web Site properties, I have the redirect to the above URL in the Home Directory tab. Under the Directory Security tab I have both Anonymous and Challenge/Response. In the Exchange folder properties (in Internet Service Manager) under the Virtual Directory tab I have the Local Path "c:\exchsrvr\webdata&quo...

CRM 4 Mobile?
I am wondering what options are planned for working with CRM 4.0 on Windows Mobile devices. All my searches so far seem to end with Mobile Express for CRM 3.0 and the Mobile Client for 3.0, and bad links pointing to the old Sandbox on the GotDotNet site. Any information is greatly appreciated. No information at this time ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft Dynamics ISV Architect Evangelist http://blogs.msdn.com/usisvde "Brett" <Brett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:83F08067-EF7F-4190-86F0-019342E06642@microsoft.com... >I am wonder...

Can't connect after updates.
I downloaded the two software updates and now I can't connect with Live ID. Anyone one else have this problem? I am actually experiencing the same issue. I just installed, it said that there were updates available which I installed and now I can not connect from within money... I am using vista, not sure if that is part of the problem or not... "Jakryk" wrote: > I downloaded the two software updates and now I can't connect with Live ID. > Anyone one else have this problem? I'm using Vista also. I've reinstalled Money and I cancel the updates. It happen...

Error
Hello to all. I am a CRM newbie.... and I am looking for a little help... We installed Microsoft CRM v1.2 on a Windows SBS2003 server. We followed the Microsoft Business Solutions CROM Implementation Guide - SBS2003 section - during the installation. During the install, we created a new CRM website in IIS, and added a host header ("crm") and added "crm" to the DNS on the server. So far, so good. But, we have a problem whenever I choose Start->Programs->Microsoft CRM->Workflow Manager.... The Workflow Manager Logon window is displayed. I am prompted to enter th...

Selecting Pics in Explorer, then "Send via e-mail" doesn't work...
I'm sure this has been addressed, but I haven't found it in a search. I'm running Outlook 2007 and it worked fine with XP - since I've upgraded to Windows 7, I can't select *any* files in explorer and send them via e-mail. Nothing happens, then I can't get Outlook to start under any circumstance unless I reboot. I need to create a new e-mail, then select the files...and it works fine, but it's a giant PITA. Any help: Sounds like it is caused by a corruption or an incompatible add-in. Which add-ins do you have installed? Tools-> Trust Center-&g...

Using Outlook with a VPN
Yesterday i set up a VPN so as to allow our employees to work from home, today one of the employees highlighted a problem with it though. When connected through the vpn, they are unable to access their Outlook emailand insted have to disconnect and then access through a normal dial-up. Any thoughts? Many Thanks Try this. When you get the VPN login screen, choose Properties. On the Options tab, check the box next to Include Windows logon Domain. That helped me. Bob >-----Original Message----- >Yesterday i set up a VPN so as to allow our employees to >work f...

Outlook Vote buttons integrated with MS CRM campaigns
Does anybody knows a work-around to integrate the functionality of 'vote buttons' in a MS CRM campaign (distributing email activity)? Since the email activity is distributed through the MS CRM email system, it is not possible to add vote buttons? Is there any way to send the campaign emails through Outlook, add voting buttons ("will you attend the event YES/NO"), and when the target member replies with yes/no it would automatically return as an "interested" or "not interested" campaign response...? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Mic...

Trying install CRM 3.0
Hi guys, I'm tryingo to install the trial version CRM 3.0 but i'm receving two errors: 1) MS SQL SERVER: "MSSQLSvc service principal name not found for account CN=OFFICESYSTEMBR,OU=Domain Controllers,DC=officesystem,DC=com." 2) REporting Services "Setup failed to validate specified Reporting Services Report Server http://OFFICESYSTEMBR/Reportserver. Error: The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content and then resta...

Going CRM Offline
I am getting same error too. ...

CRM Time Error
Hi, The dates stored in the DB in sql Server is diffent, from when you browse it throghe IE. Correct dates shows in IE, but not in SQL DB. I am generating a Birthday Reminder which is not coming in the correct date since time in DB is Incorrect. Please Help..... Irshard Zahir Hi Irshard, The dates in the database are converted to the local date of the user. The problem can be tackeled by using the CRM SDK. Hopefully this works if not please let me know. Regards, Ron "Irshard" <Irshard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9E7A1EC9-87E7-4B8D-8F0F-B7CFE9...

HQ Options not working
Hi! When I open the HQ Configuration window, there is a list of Checkboxes for "Enabled" - "Disabled" for : - Automatically create inter-store receive inventory order - Automatically create inter-store issue inventory order and other! This window doesn't work, and when accepting changes, and open the window again, all checkboxes are clear!! And of course, those options do not work neither! I'm working by lauching inter-store trasnfers from HQ, but would like to have stores deciding this by its own. Anybody know something about this. Maybe how to set this featu...

Outlook Group incoming email assignment via rotation
I need to define a group such that: - Emails coming into the group email address (I don't know if this should be a distribution list or something else) can be forwarded to a single member of the group. - Assignment of the email to a group member will be via round-robin rotation through the group. - Round-robin mechanism must be able to recognize when a group member is marked as out of office and assign the incoming email to the next group member. I have no idea if this is possible, though I'm assuming that it would need to be servers-side (Exchange) rath...

Button form control does not work
I have spent over 5 hours trying to get the button wizard to do a simple thing. Open a form and show data in that form that matches the name in the form where the button is but when i follow the wizard the button allways go to the first entary in the second form eg i have the form (form1) open on emma (record 3) and want to open a second form that also contains emma the wizard puts the following in to a macro form2, Form, , "[Full Name]=" & [Full Name], , Normal but when i test the button it open the second form with the first record which is not emma why d...

Mouse scroll not working in Module window
Access97 on HP Laptop on XP Pro Since installing Office 97 on my new (replacement) laptop I find the mouse scroll button does not work in the Module window - works everywhere else in Access ok? Any ideas appreciated. Piri yeah don't use ancient software, kid "Piri" <wiremu.pareiha@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1178247184.740213.222110@y5g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... > Access97 on HP Laptop on XP Pro > Since installing Office 97 on my new (replacement) laptop I find the > mouse scroll button does not work in the Module window - works > everywhere else i...

Internet Explorer 8 is too slow
Windows XP pro sp 3 Ram memory 1gb I decided to download Internet Explorer 8 since there will be an end to Internet Explorer 6. I liked Internet Explorer 6 because it was fast. This is the way I downloaded Internet Explorer 8 Internet Explorer 8 download: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=341c2ad5-8c3d-4347-8c03-08cdecd8852b The download went very well and all the updates have been completed. My question is, "Why is Internet Explorer 8 so much slower than 6"? I can almost go get a cup of coffee in the time it takes to open. ...