CRM dev to test to prod

I am just getting started on a CRM implementation. How successfull have you
been with three different environments and promotion of customization/data
from dev up to produciton?

Are there any tricks to promoting from one environment to another?

Thanks for your help!
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

We often use multiple environments.  Change control and the export/import of
customizatins is the key.  Depending on the data associated with some of tha
tables, you can spend some time migrating data as well, but that's no
different than any application.

--

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

"Kenny C" <Kenny C@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I am just getting started on a CRM implementation. How successfull have you
been with three different environments and promotion of customization/data
from dev up to produciton?

Are there any tricks to promoting from one environment to another?

Thanks for your help!

0
Matt

Error on MS Dynamics CRM 4 for Outlook
Hello to everyone, after installed MS Dynamics CRM 4 server we try to install CRM for Outllok. Installation is ok, everything seems ok, but when we click on the "Configuration CRM" we have this error: Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook with offline access has already been configured for a user on this computer. Only one user can be configured per computer for Microsoft Dynamics CRM for Outlook with offline access. Just to know, before we had CRM 3 version. Thanks for helps. -- Rino Bertolotto Sales Manager & Solution Architect STESA SRL "Rino Bertolotto" &l...

Test post.
This is a test post. Kindly ignore this. ignored as requested "Wrinkles of the Grey Matter" wrote: > This is a test post. Kindly ignore this. > > > Rich wrote: > ignored as requested > > "Wrinkles of the Grey Matter" wrote: > >> This is a test post. Kindly ignore this. >> >> >> There are dedicated newsgroups just for testing. Try: microsoft.public.test.here Jason ...

Spell Check option for crm 4.0
Hi Could you guys share your thoughts on what are the different options available for spell checking in CRM 4.0 Thank You Kind Regards Get a spellchecker for your browser. http://www.ie7pro.com/ includes spell checking amongst lots of other great features. Other addins for IE exist for this too, most produce red-squiggle underlining similar to MS Word. Make sure they have dictionaries to support your language and region (eg UK vs US English) Adam On 02/06/2010 15:16, ~Jij wrote: > Hi > Could you guys share your thoughts on what are the different options > available for spell ...

CRM 4 cannot activate Language pack activation after upgrade
Hi folks!! I have an important migration to work on, basically driven because of the need of the language pack, but after upgrading from 3 to 4, I cannot activate the language pack. They install without error, but no way to activate them. I am almosr certain it may be related to the fact that many of the different entities may have found themsleves modified and some "default" field removed (as some other post mentionned), but just in case, I am posting this request for help. I am goign to embark in trying to work around this by doing (in lab of course) many steps to see if it will...

MS CRM reading external database
Hi guys, If I have some transactional records sitting in an external database (outside of the MS CRM database), how can I: - create new fields in say, Opportunities, and have these fields read dynamically from this external database? - or alternatively, create a new table in the MS CRM database, have these new fields in Opportunities referenced/read from this new table? I can add new tables into the MS CRM database through Enterprise Manager, but Deployment Manager doesn't seem to be able to detect this new table. Urgently need input on this. Appreciate any reply at all! Thanks and ch...

for Microsoft Response
I M IN SITUATION INTO CREATING A TEST COMPANY HAVING DATA OF LIVE COMPANY - ON THE SAME SERVER SQL 2000-GP 8. - I HAVE TRIED THE ARTICLE POSTED RELATED TO THIS ON GP - VER. 7.0 BUT NOT SURE EVERYTHING IS OK. PLS. SUGGEST THE BEST AND SAFE WAY TO DO SO AND ALSO TO CHECK THAT EVERYTHING IS GOING OK.. THANKS & REGARDS =?Utf-8?B?QUZU?= <AFT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:541A4DAD-2125-42E7-A3AD-BDE6F521C39F@microsoft.com: > I M IN SITUATION INTO CREATING A TEST COMPANY HAVING DATA OF > LIVE COMPANY - ON THE SAME SERVER SQL 2000-GP 8. - I HAVE > TRIED THE ART...

Installation of CRM on SBS 2003 Question
When installing CRM 3.0 on Microsoft SBS 2003 will installing into the default web site cause any problems with any thing else running from there such as Outook Web access, sharepoint, etc? Is it better to create a "new web site" when installing? Thanks, John Lammey You should create a new website. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "John Lammey" wrote: > When installing CRM 3.0 on Microsoft SBS 2003 will installing into the > default web site cause any problems with any thing else running from there > such as Outook Web access, sharepoint,...

Converting Leads to Opportunities in CRM 3.0 (changes since CRM 1.2?)
We are in the process of upgrading from CRM 1.2 to CRM 3.0. In 1.2 we were able to convert Leads to only Opportunities. However, in 3.0 it appears that you must also convert the Lead to an Account or Contact as well (i.e. after clicking on the Convert Lead button, if you select only the Opportunity checkbox, the OK button is disabled, however, if you also select either Account or Contact, the OK button becomes enabled). Is this a change in functionality from CRM 1.2 or is there a setting that impacts this behavior? Thanks in advance. ...

problem installing CRM 4
Hi all, I have a problem installing CRM 4. After installing the VC++ runtime library I click Next and then this error appears and drops the instalation. Did anyone meet the same error. The type initializer for 'Microsoft.CRM.LocatorService' threw an exception The type initializer for 'Microsoft.CRM.ServerLocatorService' threw an exception Input string was not in the correct form. can you see the log file on this <systemdrive>:\Documents and Settings\<User>\Application Data\Microsoft \MSCRM\Logs\ -- Regards, MS CRM Certified Professional http://microsof...

MS CRM with Exchange 5.5
We have a MS CRM client, who is using MS Exchange Server 5.5. The client is not planning to upgrade the existing exchange server 5.5 to current version. They also do not have an active directory implementation and are not planning to upgrade to it. We plan to have a separate active Directory implementation for just the CRM Users to overcome this. The IG states that an Exhchange server 2000/2003 can co-exist with the Exchange 5.5 and be used for CRM mail integration using the Active Directory connector(ADC). In this scenario can we implement exchange server 2000 just to support mail...

Test for Whole Number
I am probably making this harder than it needs to be. What is a good way to test if a user enters a whole number as a data input. I cobbled together the following but is there a simplier way? Sub Test() Dim pInt As Integer Dim pStr As String Do pStr = InputBox("Enter a whole number") pInt = pStr Loop While pInt <> pStr MsgBox "Thank you" End Sub -- Greg Maxey See my web site http://gregmaxey.mvps.org for an eclectic collection of Word Tips. Arrogance is a weed that grows mostly on a dunghill (Arabic proverb) I am sure there ar...

Test environment set up
I want to set up a test environment for CRM. I understand how to import and export customizations. What I don't understand is how I will have another CRM instance under the same domain? Should I use the Adventure Works or just use my CRM license on a different server? Even with the Adventure Works, doesn't it have to connect to my domain and my AD and won't that mess things up? you can use virtualpc or even install a simple two server setup where one server functions as a domain controller in a new forest (is disconnected from your companies domain entirely) then add a ...

Viewing CRM 3.0 Notes in SharePoint
I have added a page viewer webpart to a sharepoint (sps) page to display data on a CRM account. All data and tabs display as they should except Notes. When I click on the Notes tab, none of the existing notes are displayed; just to option to add a new note. If I add a new note, it is displayed only until the page is refreshed and it then disappears. Text, picklist, and other fields display existing data correctly. Has anyone know how to display CRM 3.0 notes in a SharePoint webpart? Thanks Vic Coleman Can you share your web part with the community? maybe we can all help to re...

Can't delete anything in CRM
We have a development server running 4.0 ru10, that just a week ago started generating an error code when trying to delete any custom items. Attributes, relationships, just comes up with an Error and we've checked everything. Feels like a timing issue but we've increased the Extended Timeout and add the OLE registries. Nothing stands out in the trace logs. We're stuck ...

Business Management Error Move CRM 4.0 Database to Different Machi
Hi, I have backed up a CRM 4.0 _MSCRM and MSCRM_Config database from one machine and restored both on another machine ( Which had been useing a test database). After restoring both databases on the new host I used the Deployment Manger to import the restored database. After completing the import when I attempt to open CRM I get an error message saying " Business Management Error The user ID associated the current record is not valid" From the server where I'm logged an as Administrator On client PC I get the following. Server Error in '/...

CRM 1.2: Access denied on viewig Accounts and Contacts
I recently had to rebuild my CRM 1.2 database. Since then, users get an 'Access denied' message when viewing the details of accounts and contacts. It seems that teh security descriptors are invalid. My questions are: 1. I intend upgrading to CRM3.0 anyway - is this going to rebuild security that will bypass this error or am I just importing incorrect parameters as it is? 2. Changing roles and using 'Repar Object Security' with the admin tool did not fix the issue. Is there another way that I can rebuild the security descriptors If anybody cna put me on the right track, I...

MS CRM and Lotus Notes
Hi, I would like to Integrate MS CRM with LotusNotes,i need trial version of LotusNotes and LinkPoints to install in my local system, where do i get the trial versions of MS CRM,LotusNotes and LinkPoints, please help me to work, please do the needful, thanks Thangam see http://ezinearticles.com/?Microsoft-CRM-Integration-with-IBM-Lotus-Notes-Domino---Machinery-Dealership-Example&id=66174 it will help.. -- Regards, MS CRM Certified Professional http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com Chat with me on MSN / Gmail / Skype : ID Is :.. mscrmexpert@gmail.com "mukathangadurai@gmail.co...

CRM Sales for outlook 06-18-04
I know in CRM you can right click an email and promote it to an activity, as long as the MessageType is IPM.Note. Is there any way to handle other message types... CD ...

Maximizer to CRM Migrations
Does anyone know if there are Data Migration table spreadsheets out there like Microsoft has for ACT, Goldmine, Sieble etc. for Maximizer? We are going to be doing a Maximizer migration and have found limited info here. Seems best advice is either .csv export/import or Scribe. Any suggestions on what to do and not to do from experience would also be helpful. Thanks! Shauna If you have activities, notes and history in Maximizer that you will want to retain, the web UI import will not work and you'll need to use CRM's DMF or a product like Scribe. Matt Wittemann http://icu-ms...

CRM 4: Quotedetail prices won't be synchronized
Hello, i have an problem synchronizing some data from the outlook client to the server. Situation: I use the oulook laptop client in offline mode. I create a new quote. From within the quote i am calling a application via a navigation bar link. From within this application i add a new manual quotedetail (write-in product) to the quote (it is saved allready) and set a price (all via the CRM WebServices) After this i can see the quotedetail in the write-in products list. Then in outlook i go online. After the sync is done, at the server i can see the new generated quote and also the added...

BCM to CRM with SQL on seperate server
Hi, I'm trying to migrate data from Microsoft BCM to the 90-day trial version of CRM Professional 3.0. I have CRM installed on one server with its SQL database on a seperate SQL Server Standard 2005 server. CRM is installed and working properly. When following instructions in the "Microsoft CRM Data Migration Framework Readme" I can only successfully attach the BCM database to SQL2005 if the database files (mdf and ldf) are on the SQL server. If I do this, and then try to specifiy the mdf file to the Data Migration Wizard for Microsoft Office Outlook with Business Con...

Simple Javascript to get the current CRM user
I'm looking to add an OnChange event to restrict changes to a certain picklist field in the Account table. Simple logic, except I can't seem to figure out who the current user is... This has to be a simple one for you JavaScript jocks, and I'd really appreciate your saving me hours... Many thanks, Dave ...

Regarding button grayed out in CRM for Outlook
Hello, I have the above problem in 2 pcs. First has OS windows XP professional and Outlook 2003 SP2. Second has OS windows 2000 professional and Outlook 2003 SP2. In both the CRM toolbar appears fine, and, when you click on it the forms that open have the Regarding buttons grayed out, so we cannot really use them. No error message, no other problems. Please advise, Elena So does it work for other computers or other users on those computers? Could be a security role issue for the users. Does it work if they access CRM through Explorer rather than Outlook client? Ryan Elena wrote: &...

CRM 1.2 Received today
Just been informed our copy of 1.2 has been received today lucky. so does it come later for customers? hurry and test it out! I heard it uninstalls 1.0 and then reinstalls with 1.2, hahaha..........keep us updated on your beta testing! -Gary "John O'Donnell" <csharpconsulting@nospam-hotmail.com-nospam> wrote in message news:exmsGGevDHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Just been informed our copy of 1.2 has been received today > > ...

Connecting CRM and JD EDWARD
How to Connect JD Edward and MCRM ...