CRM and Outlook Integration 07-22-03

 Hello,

I haven't seen a whole lot of great documentation on this - so if someone
knows where some exists then please tell me - but I'm curious as to how
featured the Outlook/CRM integration is? I see there is an addin for Outlook
that gets installed, but it looks to me like it's nothing more than a
synchronization tool between Outlook and the SQL Server - am I right? It
looks like it syncs Contacts, Emails, Calendar dates, etc.

I've looked through the SDK documentation and I've browsed a couple posts,
but none really say outright in exactly what way does Outlook and CRM
integrate (at least that I can see).

So - I guess my first question is whether the limitation of the integration
is really synchronization, and my second question is that if there is more -
what is it?

Thanks,
Ben

0
Ben
7/22/2003 9:32:08 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Ben

While sales for outlook does sync information as you said its real benefit
is that it gives you almost the same interface as if you were running CRM in
a web browser. The idea is you can take your information on the road with
you and still access it through the same CRM interface you see on the web
clients

"Ben Rush" <kwendex@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I haven't seen a whole lot of great documentation on this - so if someone
> knows where some exists then please tell me - but I'm curious as to how
> featured the Outlook/CRM integration is? I see there is an addin for
Outlook
> that gets installed, but it looks to me like it's nothing more than a
> synchronization tool between Outlook and the SQL Server - am I right? It
> looks like it syncs Contacts, Emails, Calendar dates, etc.
>
> I've looked through the SDK documentation and I've browsed a couple posts,
> but none really say outright in exactly what way does Outlook and CRM
> integrate (at least that I can see).
>
> So - I guess my first question is whether the limitation of the
integration
> is really synchronization, and my second question is that if there is
more -
> what is it?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben

0
John
7/22/2003 9:49:05 PM
I have found numerous frustrating bugs in the Sales for Outlook.  For
example, our sales people are unable to enter more than 1 Activity for
Opportunities (actually, they can enter numerous, but only 1 shows up) in
Outlook, but they can do it in the web interface.  The behvior is different
between the web and outlook, which is frustratingn for sales people.

"John O'Donnell" <csharpconsulting@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Ben
>
> While sales for outlook does sync information as you said its real benefit
> is that it gives you almost the same interface as if you were running CRM
in
> a web browser. The idea is you can take your information on the road with
> you and still access it through the same CRM interface you see on the web
> clients
>

> "Ben Rush" <kwendex@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I haven't seen a whole lot of great documentation on this - so if
someone
> > knows where some exists then please tell me - but I'm curious as to how
> > featured the Outlook/CRM integration is? I see there is an addin for
> Outlook
> > that gets installed, but it looks to me like it's nothing more than a
> > synchronization tool between Outlook and the SQL Server - am I right? It
> > looks like it syncs Contacts, Emails, Calendar dates, etc.
> >
> > I've looked through the SDK documentation and I've browsed a couple
posts,
> > but none really say outright in exactly what way does Outlook and CRM
> > integrate (at least that I can see).
> >
> > So - I guess my first question is whether the limitation of the
> integration
> > is really synchronization, and my second question is that if there is
> more -
> > what is it?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ben

0
Ali
7/22/2003 10:11:46 PM
We're debating on whether we want to use sales for Outlook? Are people
finding that the benefits of having "offline" browsing outweigh the costs of
application speed and "frustrating bugs"?

Our sales people seem to want to have emails they send in Outlook to show up
in CRM and vice versa - and the same with appointments and the like. Does it
sound like this is the tool for us then?

Thanks in advance,
Ben

"Ali Ersheid" <ali@alumni.cse.ucsc.edu> wrote in message
> I have found numerous frustrating bugs in the Sales for Outlook.  For
> example, our sales people are unable to enter more than 1 Activity for
> Opportunities (actually, they can enter numerous, but only 1 shows up) in
> Outlook, but they can do it in the web interface.  The behvior is
different
> between the web and outlook, which is frustratingn for sales people.
>
> "John O'Donnell" <csharpconsulting@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Ben
> >
> > While sales for outlook does sync information as you said its real
benefit
> > is that it gives you almost the same interface as if you were running
CRM
> in
> > a web browser. The idea is you can take your information on the road
with
> > you and still access it through the same CRM interface you see on the
web
> > clients
> >

> > "Ben Rush" <kwendex@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I haven't seen a whole lot of great documentation on this - so if
> someone
> > > knows where some exists then please tell me - but I'm curious as to
how
> > > featured the Outlook/CRM integration is? I see there is an addin for
> > Outlook
> > > that gets installed, but it looks to me like it's nothing more than a
> > > synchronization tool between Outlook and the SQL Server - am I right?
It
> > > looks like it syncs Contacts, Emails, Calendar dates, etc.
> > >
> > > I've looked through the SDK documentation and I've browsed a couple
> posts,
> > > but none really say outright in exactly what way does Outlook and CRM
> > > integrate (at least that I can see).
> > >
> > > So - I guess my first question is whether the limitation of the
> > integration
> > > is really synchronization, and my second question is that if there is
> > more -
> > > what is it?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ben

0
Ben
7/22/2003 11:03:40 PM
Have you take a look at the latest Sales for Outlook
Release (June 2003), the CD include more documentations...

Frank
Workopia, Inc.
www.workopia.com

0
Frank
7/22/2003 11:42:12 PM
We are using Sales for Outlook for production - it works
fine.  Use the June 2003 release.

Frank
Workopia, Inc.
www.workopia.com

0
Frank

Outlook Sales

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Installation 11-08-07

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

cannot open hyper links in outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Integrations
Dear All, Has anyone integrated CRM with Rightfax and/or Cisco IP Telephony ...

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

using the journal on outlook

Are there free upgrades to Outlook 2000?

Outlook context menu lost most options
Hi there. I'd dearly love some help with this matter. It's been going on for months now. Has anyone got any idea how I can sort this issue out? "Jonathan E. (NZ)" <s_pam_stop@hotmail.comTAKEOUTTHESECAPS> wrote in message news:<eYICp6NCFHA.3976@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>... Hi there, I run outlook 2003. It would seem that the context menu has lost the plot. It looks like outlook has gone into some "mode" other than the one it is usually in by default. I have found that when I right click on any mail folder the context menu has very different options f...

outlook 2007 e-mail

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

HOWTO: Customizing CRM

CRM menu is dim
The "CRM" menu pad in my Outlook client is dim (disabled). Does this mean my CRM 3.0 client is not functional. I got the message following message after installing the 3.0 client for Outlook: "An error occurred loading Microsoft CRM functionality. Try restarting Microsoft Outlook. Contact your system administrator if errors persist." Many thanks for anybody who can help. KM Most of the time, in my experience, this means that it cannot connect to the CRM server. Do you have a connection to the CRM server? Try browsing to http://<yourcrmserver>/mscrmservices/20...

Viewing group calendars in CRM