CRM 3.0 Upgraded Failed, AD Groups gone

I was upgrading to 3.0 (w2k3 sp1 and SQL 2005 on same machine, Exchange 2003 
sp1) and it failed with the following error:

************
Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed.
Login 'distributor_admin' owns one or more database(s). Change the owner of 
the database(s) before dropping the login.
Changed database context to 'master'.
Changed database context to 'NorthAmerica_MSCRM'.
************

After rebooting, the Repair option fails with "One or more Microsoft CRM 
groups were not specified". The help reveals the following solution:

********************************************
The four security groups listed below must be created in Active Directory 
before using the Precreate Groups option in the Microsoft CRM setup config 
file. 

PrivUserGroup 
SQLAccessGroup 
UserGroup 
ReportingGroup 
********************************************

Does anyone have any more detailed information on creating these groups by 
hand?

There is a second issue to note - the repair option didn't give the ability 
to designate the location of the reporting services location (same machine) 
as the repair also failed with "The specified Report Server URL '' syntax is 
not valid. Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined."  I'm 
less concerned with this issue as I assume I can find a config file that can 
point it to the proper reporting services location. But my real concern is 
the Active Directory groups and accounts.

0
Utf
12/3/2005 9:00:02 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

3 Replies
935 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 40

Just as a followup. Had to reinstall from 1.2 and restore the databases


"iZa" wrote:

> I was upgrading to 3.0 (w2k3 sp1 and SQL 2005 on same machine, Exchange 2003 
> sp1) and it failed with the following error:
> 
> ************
> Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed.
> Login 'distributor_admin' owns one or more database(s). Change the owner of 
> the database(s) before dropping the login.
> Changed database context to 'master'.
> Changed database context to 'NorthAmerica_MSCRM'.
> ************
> 
> After rebooting, the Repair option fails with "One or more Microsoft CRM 
> groups were not specified". The help reveals the following solution:
> 
> ********************************************
> The four security groups listed below must be created in Active Directory 
> before using the Precreate Groups option in the Microsoft CRM setup config 
> file. 
> 
> PrivUserGroup 
> SQLAccessGroup 
> UserGroup 
> ReportingGroup 
> ********************************************
> 
> Does anyone have any more detailed information on creating these groups by 
> hand?
> 
> There is a second issue to note - the repair option didn't give the ability 
> to designate the location of the reporting services location (same machine) 
> as the repair also failed with "The specified Report Server URL '' syntax is 
> not valid. Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined."  I'm 
> less concerned with this issue as I assume I can find a config file that can 
> point it to the proper reporting services location. But my real concern is 
> the Active Directory groups and accounts.
> 
0
Utf
12/7/2005 7:49:03 PM
STRANGE - it happened again. After installing 1.2, we ran the upgrade and we 
it the exact database error "distributor_Admin' owns one or more database(s). 
Change the owner of the following databases before dropping the login....

What am I missing or have forgotten to do?

If I reboot the server and try a 'repair', those AD groups I listed below 
can not be found.



"iZa" wrote:

> Just as a followup. Had to reinstall from 1.2 and restore the databases
> 
> 
> "iZa" wrote:
> 
> > I was upgrading to 3.0 (w2k3 sp1 and SQL 2005 on same machine, Exchange 2003 
> > sp1) and it failed with the following error:
> > 
> > ************
> > Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed.
> > Login 'distributor_admin' owns one or more database(s). Change the owner of 
> > the database(s) before dropping the login.
> > Changed database context to 'master'.
> > Changed database context to 'NorthAmerica_MSCRM'.
> > ************
> > 
> > After rebooting, the Repair option fails with "One or more Microsoft CRM 
> > groups were not specified". The help reveals the following solution:
> > 
> > ********************************************
> > The four security groups listed below must be created in Active Directory 
> > before using the Precreate Groups option in the Microsoft CRM setup config 
> > file. 
> > 
> > PrivUserGroup 
> > SQLAccessGroup 
> > UserGroup 
> > ReportingGroup 
> > ********************************************
> > 
> > Does anyone have any more detailed information on creating these groups by 
> > hand?
> > 
> > There is a second issue to note - the repair option didn't give the ability 
> > to designate the location of the reporting services location (same machine) 
> > as the repair also failed with "The specified Report Server URL '' syntax is 
> > not valid. Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined."  I'm 
> > less concerned with this issue as I assume I can find a config file that can 
> > point it to the proper reporting services location. But my real concern is 
> > the Active Directory groups and accounts.
> > 
0
Utf
12/7/2005 8:50:02 PM
FIXED: solution - uninstall (keeping database in place). Re-install 3.0 (no 
upgrade) and pointed to the old SQL tables and now the web client appears to 
be working fine.



"iZa" wrote:

> STRANGE - it happened again. After installing 1.2, we ran the upgrade and we 
> it the exact database error "distributor_Admin' owns one or more database(s). 
> Change the owner of the following databases before dropping the login....
> 
> What am I missing or have forgotten to do?
> 
> If I reboot the server and try a 'repair', those AD groups I listed below 
> can not be found.
> 
> 
> 
> "iZa" wrote:
> 
> > Just as a followup. Had to reinstall from 1.2 and restore the databases
> > 
> > 
> > "iZa" wrote:
> > 
> > > I was upgrading to 3.0 (w2k3 sp1 and SQL 2005 on same machine, Exchange 2003 
> > > sp1) and it failed with the following error:
> > > 
> > > ************
> > > Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction failed.
> > > Login 'distributor_admin' owns one or more database(s). Change the owner of 
> > > the database(s) before dropping the login.
> > > Changed database context to 'master'.
> > > Changed database context to 'NorthAmerica_MSCRM'.
> > > ************
> > > 
> > > After rebooting, the Repair option fails with "One or more Microsoft CRM 
> > > groups were not specified". The help reveals the following solution:
> > > 
> > > ********************************************
> > > The four security groups listed below must be created in Active Directory 
> > > before using the Precreate Groups option in the Microsoft CRM setup config 
> > > file. 
> > > 
> > > PrivUserGroup 
> > > SQLAccessGroup 
> > > UserGroup 
> > > ReportingGroup 
> > > ********************************************
> > > 
> > > Does anyone have any more detailed information on creating these groups by 
> > > hand?
> > > 
> > > There is a second issue to note - the repair option didn't give the ability 
> > > to designate the location of the reporting services location (same machine) 
> > > as the repair also failed with "The specified Report Server URL '' syntax is 
> > > not valid. Invalid URI: The format of the URI could not be determined."  I'm 
> > > less concerned with this issue as I assume I can find a config file that can 
> > > point it to the proper reporting services location. But my real concern is 
> > > the Active Directory groups and accounts.
> > > 
0
Utf
12/7/2005 11:10:02 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

CRM 3.0 Reports:Error when trying to open reports on client m/c
I am unable to access CRM Reports from any other machine except the CRM Server (Physical) box. I logged in as different users on the CRM server and was able to open and see all of the reports based on roles. But I am not able to view reports from any of the client machines. I am accessing Reports through a web-client. Upon trying to access reports through a client machine, I get the message " An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator". This does not tell me anything I do not see anything unusual in the Web server (CRM Server), or the Da...

Visio #3
How do I print grid lines using Visio. there is an example for vba code at John Marshall's site www.mvps.org/visio/vba al "Jay" <jay.werelius2@verizon.net> wrote in message news:F08177E5-1576-4CED-A1B7-D2201AA60F5E@microsoft.com... > How do I print grid lines using Visio. Due to popular demand, Visio 2003 now gives you the option to print gridlines! Tag "Al Edlund" <edlund@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:eC49eIkrDHA.2416@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > there is an example for vba code at John Marshall's site > www.mvps.org/visio/vba > &...

Problems with MS-DateTime-Picker 6.0
My userform has a Multipage control on top. My Microsoft Date-Time-Picker 6.0 Control is sitting on "Page 1" of the Multi-page control. If I change to "Page 2" and try to access the ".Value" of the DTPicker control, it will return an error value. (It is returning the year 1899). What is wrong here? Does the DTPicker need to be on the visible page to be used?? Are there any other things I should know about this DTPicker control? Robert, You could assign the DTPicker's value to a public date variable in its change event. HTH, Be...

Signatures #3
Hi, I have been asked to find a way to automatically insert a signature into Outlook (for all our 600 clients) The signature is a gif or jpeg file with the persons name & address ... I've been looking in Outlook so far and it seems a bit long to do it yourself, even to make a procedure for the clients they won't be able to do it! Is there anyway on an Exchange Server 2000 to automatically insert a signature into an email (Gif or jpeg or any other) ? Only problem is that the signatures are all different!! Could somebody please help me or just tell me it isn't possible!!! :-((( ...

Upgrade from Money 2004 to Money 2005
I just upgraded from Money 2004 to Money 2005, and 2 of my accounts (a savings account and a credit card) showed significantly different balances from the last time I looked at them in Money 2004. It seems that, for some reason, when it converted my 2004 file to 2005, it only grabbed a portion of the transactions, and considered the balance as of just before the first transaction it grabbed to be $0, when both accounts actually had non-zero balances at that time. Am I missing something, or is Money 2005 just that poorly designed? In microsoft.public.money, dbrebel wrote: >I just upgrade...

Report Load Error via CRM
I am loading a very basic report that had a complex query but works fine when running it in VS2005. When I attempt to load the report via the CRM 4.0 GUI, I get the following error message: An error has occurred. Try this action again. If the problem continues, check the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Community for solutions or contact your organization's Microsoft Dynamics CRM Administrator. Finally, you can contact Microsoft Support." This report does not have any parameters at all, and the most intense thing are embedded select statements which I have done on other reports. I have instal...

distribution group / delivery report exchange 2003
an originator from outside my exchange 2003 organisation is sending an email to a distribution list, but he never receive a delivery report global config, message format for domain * (is ok) [x] delivery report [x] non delivery report "Ronald" <rasch@ltsa.de> wrote: >an originator from outside my exchange 2003 organisation >is sending an email to a distribution list, >but he never receive a delivery report Did he request one? -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...

What does the "E" in 5E
I am used MS EXCEL to perform a scatter plot. When the information was graph, Excel provided me with the formula 5E - 71e^0.085x. What does the "E" in 5E mean? The E is the way Excel represents 10 to the power. So 1.2E3 is 1.2X10^3 or 1200 and 1.2E-3 is 1.2 x 10^-3 or 0.0012. "College Professor" -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in email address "College student" <College student@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8F20E8A3-BDC6-42E5-A5D0-508D57C40F42@microsoft.com... >I am used MS EXCEL to perform a scatte...

Can not create Matrix Item please Help RMS 2.0
RMS 2.0 Can not create Matrix Item please Help When trying to create any new items I receive error message This is the message (-2147217864) Row Cannot be located for updating. Some values may have been change since it was last read. Manger still creates standard items but still receives message with out this number in message -2147217864 ...

GP 9.0 and SBS 2008 Premium
Will GP 9.0 work on a SBS 2008 Premium Edition? I believe it has SQL Server 2008 STandard for Small Business. It may work, but it is not officially supported by Microsoft. Here are the system requirements for GP 9.0: https://mbs.microsoft.com/Cms/Templates/document/General.aspx?NRMODE=Published&NRNODEGUID={A5461A0A-E674-4169-BFD7-AA4D691AF4DF}&NRORIGINALURL=/customersource/support/documentation/systemrequirements/compatibility_gp9.0_hardware.htm?printpage=false&NRCACHEHINT=Guest&printpage=false&wa=wsignin1.0 Neither windows 2008 nor SQL 2008 are on the list. -- Vic...

5.6.3 error
We have a monitoring program sending us daily reports for all our servers. It's been running fine until we just hit a "magic" numbers of how many servers we monitor. The email sent is in xml format, including 3 .png images per server, so I guess we just passed 250 in total images, which are considered attachments. How can I up the number of allowed attachments in Exchange? Can't find this setting anywhere...! TIA!! / Per Wouldn't it be better to put that stuff up on a web page? I've never heard of such a limit; you must really be pushing the envelope. You...

Outlook CRM Client!
Hi, I tried installing Oulook CRM Desk Client on one of my laptop which is not an member of domain. It fails to connect to CRM website[i tried using ip as well as computername but in both way it fails to connect to CRM Server] and errors out whenever i start outlook. I am using Windows XP [SP2] + Outlook 2003 Professional [SP2], any suggestions? Regards, Sunil Installing CRM Outlook Client on a machine which is not a member of domain is not supported. ..........But someone has posted a workaround. I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be supported by MS. Search for "Outl...

Microsoft CRM Exchange
From previous listings I came across the fact that the email router or Microsoft CRM Exchange Connector sends and receives emails to and from CRM. Also that we can receive an email in outlook then click the Promote E-mail to CRM Activity button to move it into crm. Where is this button located. Should I be working on the server where CRM is installed to get this working? You will only have the Promote button if you have installed Sales For Outlook (or a third part add-in) This will be on the client pc, not (definitely not!) the server "Gautam" <gautam@fivepoints.net>...

vlookup problem #3
I am trying to a vlookup on formatted text. I I had a long string and extracted certain characters from it using the "mid" function. Now if do a vlookup on the extracted list it doesnt work. But if I were t actually type in the values in the extracted list the vlookup start working. I tried changing the format of the extracted list to general number and text..nothing works. Can anybody please tell me what I am doing wrong? I know my vlookup i correct because it works when i type the values in the table array. thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Check to be ...

Display of CRM data in SharePoint
Is is possible to allow non-CRM users the ability to view CRM data on SharePoint without using the CRM external connector? Thanks, -Rick M. Microsoft would require you to have a license per user I think ============================== John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.crowecrm.com "Rick M" <RickM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B3E731A1-D059-4D49-B879-6025A1817FD8@microsoft.com... > Is is possible to allow non-CRM users the ability to view CRM data on > SharePoint without using the CRM external connector? > > Thanks, > -Rick...

parameter values not valid #3
keep getting a window each time I try and save a new task (Outlook 2000) it says: "Could not complete the operation. One or more parameter values are not valid" I just set up Outllook, and can't figure out why it would do this. ...

Lebans code for AlternateColorDetailSection fails
The AlternateColorDetailSection at http://www.lebans.com/alternatecolordetailsection.htm is pretty neat on most pcs. But on a windows 2003 terminal server box it does not seem to render the alternate backcolor, no matter what color I set it to. The color depth is very good via RD on that box, so it's not that the color can't be rendered. I've done some more testing and it's quite interesting. The class works fine on winxp and vista. It does not work on 2nd windows 2003 box, one which I'm not accessing via termial services (32 bit color depth!). I can'...

adding letters in a payroll calendar
I would like to total all of the "v" for vacation, "s" for sick and "p" for personal days in a excel worksheet. So, if I had a total of 10 "v" in different cells each representing a different day of the month I would like to total those. Is this possible? Hi have a look at COUNTIF and SUMIF -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "ryanjh79" <ryanjh79@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C15AADF1-E56D-49BE-9B05-26C6C2662645@microsoft.com... >I would like to total all of the "v" for vacation, "...

BP Installation Error
Someone post this question before:- MbfPackager data importation process has failed. please c:\DOCUME~1\ADMIN~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\MbfPackager.Import.NoMerge.Common.xml for more information. Problem: When installing Microsoft Business Portal 2.5. Can anyone help me on this error? I'm installing Business Portal 2.5 Feature Pack on Windows 2003 Standard Edition. And, the BP is reading the Great Plains 8.0 database at another server. Cheers, Emily ...

CRM 3 - User Transfered All Cases to Own Name
We had a user that left the company. Another user transfered all of his cases (resolved / active) to his name. He some how reassigned all the resolved and active cases in the DB to his own name. Is there a transaction table for changes to cases? Or a way that we can roll back the transfers? Unfortunately, we do not have a back up. CRM does not offer a transaction logging sollution out of the box. The SQL database does, but this has to be configured and can only rollback all changes not specific ones. A thing you can try is (using the SDK) retrieve the last activity for each case ...

how do I get the if function to return a blank cell, not 0?
I am trying to create a chart from a series that contains data for each month. The series is calculated on other worksheets and copied to the worksheet containing the chart. I would like to have the cells for the months that have not been updated yet (now is January, there are 0' in all cells for Feb-Dec) to be blank (to create gaps in the chart) not 0's. Can this be done? Unfortunately, what you want, and what many of us have requested but doesn't exist, is a worksheet function like BLANK() or NULL(). The best we can do is use NA() in a chart's data source, which is...

Recovering deleted items #3
Hi, I am encountering a strange problem. I am trying to recover mails which were deleted permanantly from my mailbox. After editing the registry settings i am able to recover all folders except deleted items. While I click on deleted items folder to recover the items outlook exits. Has anyone come across this problem? Thanks Shilpa hoe many items are in the deleted folder? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Ou...

Online CRM Tutorials
I am new to CRM and my main focus will be on pre-sales as well as support. I have not attended any courses and none are planned in the forseeable future. Are there any online tutorials/reference guides with examples which one can look at to better one's knowledge. Thanks in anticipation There are a number of e-courses which you can take for CRM. You can see details on these courses here. http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions/Services/Training/default.mspx -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP "Koos" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ne...

Upgrading NT4 to Win2k while still using Exchange 5.5
Hello, Has anyone experienced any issues when upgrading an NT4 server running Exchange 5.5 to Windows 2000 Server but not upgrading Exchange? Thank you, Gerry That should work fine, but you would certainly do well to backup your PRIV, PUB, and DIR beforehand. -- Have a great day! Graham, MCSE�+I, MCSA Microsoft Corporation Exchange Enterprise Messaging * Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Find out about Strategic Technology Protection Program a...

Error after installing Great Plains 8.0
I have just installed Great Plains 8.0 on a new Windows 2003 server, with SQL 2000. I installed the test company and created two new companies. I have not yet imported or added any data to the system. When I go to Check Links/Financial and select the Transaction Work Logical Table I get the following error. A get/change operation on table 'GL_TRX_HDR_WORK' failed accessing SQL data. If I click on more info button it says number of results columns doesn't match table definition. Does anyone have any suggestions? I want to make sure that the system is stable and working...