CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0 x64

Hi

Based on previous replies - I now got the migration plan ready (I think)
....so
just to get any final feedback...

Plan:

1) Create a test eviroment that contains 2 machines: a SQL server (32 bit)
and a Web Frontend (32 bit)
2) Copy the 2 CRM DataBases from the SQL production (32 bit) to the test SQL
enviroment (32 bit)
3) Copy the CRM 3.0 Web frontend from the production (32 bit) to the test
WEB Frontend (32 bit)
4) Install CRM 4.0 32 bit on top of the CRM 3.0 32 bit  - that way wf,
entities etc. gets upgraded and everything are stored in the Database.
5) View the upgrade log... to see if anything gone wrong or needs to be
fixed.
6) Assuming there's thing to be fixed I'll fix them here...

Then when everytings seems to be running smothly I continue with;

7) Format the test Web frontend (32 bit) and make it x64 bit - then install
CRM 4.0 x64 and during the install, then point to the upgraded DB that are
running on the test SQL server (32 bit) (nothing needs to be fixed on the
x64 bit frontend)

Then when everytings seems to be running smothly I continue with;

8) Move the upgraded DB back on the Production SQL server (32 bit)
9) Install the CRM 4.0 x64 on a new production Web frontend (x64 bit)

are the above method the way to do it ?

0
taenkeren (14)
8/5/2008 8:11:58 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Some corrections:

If not upgrading the production 3.0 directly then:

1. Redeploy the 3.0 CRM to a "temp" 32 bits environment via the "redeploy"
function

2. Upgrade the "redeployed" 3.0 CRM in the "temp" 32 bits environment to 4.0

3. Import the upgraded 4.0 CRM in the "temp" 32 bits environment to your new
64 bits environment

For more details, check the following blog:
http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!A2586C4AB938C065!310.entry

Frank Lee, Microsoft Dynamics CRM MVP
http://microsoft-crm.spaces.live.com
http://www.workopia.com/Links.htm

"GhostRider" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Based on previous replies - I now got the migration plan ready (I think)
> ...so
> just to get any final feedback...
>
> Plan:
>
> 1) Create a test eviroment that contains 2 machines: a SQL server (32 bit)
> and a Web Frontend (32 bit)
> 2) Copy the 2 CRM DataBases from the SQL production (32 bit) to the test SQL
> enviroment (32 bit)
> 3) Copy the CRM 3.0 Web frontend from the production (32 bit) to the test
> WEB Frontend (32 bit)
> 4) Install CRM 4.0 32 bit on top of the CRM 3.0 32 bit  - that way wf,
> entities etc. gets upgraded and everything are stored in the Database.
> 5) View the upgrade log... to see if anything gone wrong or needs to be
> fixed.
> 6) Assuming there's thing to be fixed I'll fix them here...
>
> Then when everytings seems to be running smothly I continue with;
>
> 7) Format the test Web frontend (32 bit) and make it x64 bit - then install
> CRM 4.0 x64 and during the install, then point to the upgraded DB that are
> running on the test SQL server (32 bit) (nothing needs to be fixed on the
> x64 bit frontend)
>
> Then when everytings seems to be running smothly I continue with;
>
> 8) Move the upgraded DB back on the Production SQL server (32 bit)
> 9) Install the CRM 4.0 x64 on a new production Web frontend (x64 bit)
>
> are the above method the way to do it ?

0
FrankLee (144)

Great Plains Standard installation 8.0
On the test server we have installed the program and the data tables on the same server. When we go live, we intend to install the program on one server and the data on another. Will this be a problem? Is there anything in particular we need to do for this? How will license work. Will this be looking at Database server or the application server. What happens when I do upgrade or apply service pack. Please advice. Also, has someone run into this scenario. What are the advantages and disadvatages of the above scenarion. Thanks again By the sounds of what you describe you are simply ins...

crm token #3
when i track an email in crm3 should i see the CRM token (like CRM:0010001) immediatly in the subject of the message i just see the icon without the token number No, you cant able to see token right. it will append when perform send event -- Regards, Imran MS CRM Certified Professional http://microsoftcrm3.blogspot.com Chat with me on MSN / Gmail / Skype : ID Is :.. mscrmexpert@gmail.com "daoud hanna" wrote: > when i track an email in crm3 should i see the CRM token (like CRM:0010001) > immediatly in the subject of the message > i just see the icon without the to...

SBS Exchange 2003: Create new user in AD but no exchange mailbox #3
I'm using SBS 2003. Exchange server is SP2. When I create a new user using Active Directory, it prompts me about creating a mail box. It says it's creating a mailbox, then it's done. But no mailbox appears. In fact, if I use the Exchange tasks wizard, I can create, delete, and recreate the mailbox--all say successful without an error message. And yet, no mailbox. This is even after I reboot the PC and sent email to the address. Any ideas what's going on? mike.aes@gmail.com wrote: > I'm using SBS 2003. Exchange server is SP2. > > When I create a new user ...

SBS 2008 Std.
Setup: SBS 2008 Std, with two WinXP Pro PC's in the domain. Firewall is a SonicWall TZ-100. ISP is Windstream. We've had the server less than a month and are slowly rolling out features. Convinced the boss to let me install WSUS, but I'm confused. In a previous job I managed SBS 2003 with ISA 2004; it was quite clear what my proxy server was. However, that was the ONLY network I ever worked in as the sole admin. What's going on is that I can't detect computers from within the SBS console. I'm pretty sure I got the GPO's right for the PC's and ...

Microsoft Publisher 2003 #3
Will Microsoft Publisher 2003 install on multiple computers? If so how many can it install on? Thanks. If you have an OEM version, it can only be installed on one system. If you have a full version, you can install it on one desktop system and one laptop. They cannot be used at the same time. Also, you will have to call Microsoft to activate the second copy. That is the ONLY legal way to have it installed on more than one computer. Please be aware if you have an older version of Publisher and it is installed on more than one computer, you violated Microsoft's end user license agre...

Error when adding new user to CRM
Hello all, I need to add 5 new users into CRM. When I complete the first form for the user information such as Last name, First name, email address, etc, then click the save button I receive an error page and the following message is logged in the Application log. MSCRM Platform Error Report: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Error: The statement has been terminated. Error Message: The statement has been terminated. Error Details: Details on this error have not been provided by the platform. Source File: Not avail...

Track in CRM function
Hello. Upon selecting the “Track In CRM” button from the CRM line in Outlook I have two questions based on situation: 1) If the contact exists in CRM it appears to attach the email but provides no notice unless you try to attach it again? True? 2) If the contact does not exist it attaches the email where? In v1.2 it opened a window and made the user create a record. I think it is attaching or tracking the email in CRM somewhere because trying to do it again, I'm asked if you want to attach/track it again. Does this make sense? By the way, we are using CRM 3.0 Thanks. After c...

Excel Formulae #4
I've been trying hard to find a formula which would enable me (from one cell) to Add several cells and Subtract the answer from another cell (subtracting items of expenditure from a starting total). I could manage this with Lotus - but Excel does not seem to behave the same. Advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, Ken. One way: Say you wanted to subtract A1, A2, A3, J4 and N5 from L6: =L6-SUM(A1:A3,J4,N5) In article <173d01c3fbd6$3df0f300$a401280a@phx.gbl>, "KenS." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I've been trying hard ...

Undeliverable messages #3
Hello all, I am getting lots of these undeliverable messages even to emails within my own domain. Any idea why or who to diagnose? please advise. Undeliverable: Contract System Administrator Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: RE: Contract Sent: 12/30/2006 8:19 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'nospam@nospam.com' on 12/30/2006 8:19 AM 554 <'nospam@nospam.com>: Recipient address rejected: Access denied ''nospam@nospam.com2 on 12/30/2006 8:19 AM 554 <...

upgrade from 1.2 to 2.0 #2
I am upgrading from version 1.2 to version 2.0 and I have a couple of questions about the upgrade. 1) Is there any step by step or relevant documentation on this upgrade? 2) do I need to upgrade to v1.3 before going directly to 2.0? 3) can I install 2.0 on a box that doesn't have any RMS loaded already? 4) What is the most difficult part of the upgrade (hardware,settings,etc)? Thanks for your time. ...

Printing single labels directly from CRM 4.0
Hi! We are currently moving from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0 while at the same time introducing many new users to the system. One feature that we would like to have, partly to satisfy new users, would be to print individual account's or contact's addresses to a labelwriter. Basically, the idea would be that from any view you could select 1-n accounts or contacts, then click print label on the toolbar, and then the labels would print from your selected labelprinter. Especially when printing only one or a few labels, this approach would be preferable to printing eg through mailmerge. I'm n...

Credit card payment #3
Why is my credit card payment, which is properly shown in the "credit" column, being added to the total balance, rather than being subtracted? And, come to think of it, my running balance, instead of showing a gradually increasing negative (shown in red) balance, is actually a gradually increasing postive balance. So my statement balance of -2,000 or so is shown as 2,000 in black, which then doubled when I made my payment. In microsoft.public.money, paddle2thesea wrote: >Why is my credit card payment, which is properly shown in the "credit" >column, being ad...

CRM 3 Slow Web Interface
Hello, I have 1 installation on Win2003 SBS Premium with 2GB Memory. The server performance is usually at 5% but the CRM 3.0 Web Client is very slow, it takes a minute to load the page from Account to Contacts in local network. the settings tabs works fast, e.g. settings > templates > e-mail templates but if I click in workplace then it takes a minute to load the page any ideas on how to fix it ? thank you athan Athan, there are many aspects to performance, so I don't know of any simple answers but I have a few questions. Once the pages have been loaded for the first time ...

Employee Expense Description on Check Stub #3
How do you add the description from Employee Expense Entry in Project Accounting to the Payables check with stub on top and bottom? Thanks, Jocelyn ...

publisher: 4 Millions Domains data with Category
Successfull Internet and Direct Marketing products on www.promotionsite.net * NEW * DOMUS Domains Toolkit Fall 2004 - Unique on the Net 4 Millions "Whois" Domains data with Expiration Date and Category*. Ultimate Version (October 2004) - Our best rate starts from US *$149*. A wonderful tool for Internet and Direct Marketing. Available in Basic, Advanced and Full Editions. It contains a domain database with 4 millions *FRESH* October 2004 New records .com, .net, .org. 4 Gigabytes MS Excel data zipped on CD-Roms/Dvd. Compression 3:1. MS Excel or Text tab del...

problems sending email with crm 1.2
Anybody please help me, i installed the MS CRM 1.2 like 2 months ago, it was working just fine, today my boss wanted to send an email with crm and the following message appear "An error has occurred. For more information contact your system administrator.",every user when is trying to send an email the same message appear even with the administrator account. WHAT TO DO PLEASE HELP Did you install the CRM Exchange E-Mail router? "Nepdy" wrote: > Anybody please help me, i installed the MS CRM 1.2 like 2 months ago, it was > working just fine, today my boss wan...

About FRx 6.7 for Great Plains 8.0
"Table Failed to Open" has been prompted after generating the report even I was using the sample provided. How could it be solved? Hi Alexis, This sounds like a connection problem with your database(s), maybe both the samples andd/or your live GP data. Are you able to quickly perform a "dump" of the chart of accounts in a new row format. Steps = New Row Format >> Edit >> Add Rows from chart of accounts You may also want to check your settings under: Company >> Information and confirm that your ODBC settings are correct ( or pervasive if you are ...

GP 10.0 Fails to install .Net Framework 2.0 not installed
I'm trying to install GP 10.0 on server. We have .net framework 2.0 sp1 and 3.0 installed. We have windows sharepoint services installed on framework 3.0. When we try to install, it is returing error .Net framework 2.0 not installed and ending prematurely. I've tried the workaround provided in Partnersource (KB ID 947538) for .Net 2.0 sp1. However it is not working. Thanks Jack - unfortunately, unless you write out the command line scripts exactly as they say in the KB, it will continue to bomb. Microsoft is costing us hours and hours worth of unbillable time to work aroun...

MS Excel #3
Does any one know the formula for converting positive figures to Negatives =IF(A1>0,-A1,A1) -- HTH Bob Phillips "Gav" <Gav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F7EDC7FA-078E-430C-86F0-A1DBB858D325@microsoft.com... > Does any one know the formula for converting positive figures to Negatives =if(a1>0,-a1,a1) or ... =-abs(a1) ========== If you're careful, you can do this without formulas. Put -1 in an empty cell copy that cell select your cells to change (click on the first and ctrl-click on subsequent) edit|paste special|check multiply Clean ...

Migrating data from ACT to CRM (how to get at act! data)
I intend on using the DMF to migrate data to CRM. The question I have is how do I get at the underlying database that ACT uses. I see the MS excel file for ACT has table and field mappings but I need to do some specialized SQL. I can't seem to figure out though how to get into the SQL database where the ACT information is stored. How do I log into that database? Thanks! -Elie From my days working with ACT, I thought the databse was built around Microsoft Access. If indeed the databas is SQL then you should be able to get your SQL DBA to grant you access to the SQL Database. -- Rgds...

Home Loan #3
hi I found a website having amazing home loan as well as student loan related helps... u can also find tex and investment related help and topics over thr .. visit the site.. http://onlinemoneycontrol.com go and check it.. cya bye.. ...

CRM 3 Talking Stock & Finance Software
Hello all, I want to integrate MS Crm 3 and our stock & finance software Any body can help me ? Stock software using MS Sql Server DB. they have installed same server. for example When i create an account in stock software or CRM account must be create both. How ? I'd look into the following to support your integration requirements: 1. 3rd Party Microsoft CRM Integration software with ODBC support such as Scribe Software: http://www.scribesoftware.com/mscrm.asp 2. Microsoft CRM SDK to custom build the integration: v3.0 SDK: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa682866.as...

Word/Office Integration as seen at CRM 3.0 Partner Readiness Event
Has anyone seen available resources on integration to Office 2003 applications such as Word?? I saw this demo'd at a Partner Readiness event back in Nov. 2005 and they showed a very tight integration with Word for not only mail merge and easy template building (with CRM fields available), but also a task pane that allowed update/edit of existing CRM records within Word. This was being demo'd as "CRM 3.0 tightly integrated with Office"...Ok, so where is this resource? Also, does anyone know where I can find the supposed 100+ CRM web parts for SharePoint?? thanks, A...

Convert Text to Number on 4,508 excel files.
Hi all. I'm faced with a rather unique problem.I have a large amount of improperly formatted excel files. They all have various cells formatted as text, yet they contain numbers and perform calculations on the cells. I now need to get these in a proper state. What I need is: Conversion of all text boxes containing numbers over to proper format of number. Do it automagically. I don't relish the thought of opening each one individually and fixing it. Any thoughts, tips or ideas on this? It could possible if you process that works by Scripting . In Scripting engine 5.6 Filesystem...

Transferring users from 1.2 to 3.0 upgrade
I am trying to upgrade a 25-user 1.2 installation to a 10-user 3.0 setup. Only 7 of the 25 licenses are being used. When I run the setup, I receive the following message: There are not enough Microsoft CRM 3.0 licenses to include all the users from Microsoft CRM 1.2 in the upgrade. Please add enough licenses to cover all the active users or deactivate some users to match the number of licenses. As I said there are only seven active users, so there shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this problem? Thanks. Berk; I've never seen the error, but p...