CRM 3.0 Reporting errors, unable to access externally

Installed CRM 3.0 on SQL 2005 SP1 on Windows SBS 2003 SP1, and am
unable to get the reporting features to work.

When viewing the http://server:5555 and clicking on reports, I get a
popup "Error
An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system
administrator."

I am able to access the /reports and /reportserver folders.

I have done days worth of tinkering, research, reinstalls, and have not
been able to get this working.

Also when trying to access the site externally, it begins to launch, I
login, then the page and launcher close.

Any ideas?  I appreciate any help.

Thanks

crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

This is an authentication error most likely (you can search your www
logs to verify).  We were able to resolve this exact same issue by
opening IE, Tools > Options > Advanced. Check the "Enable Integrated
Windows Authentication" checkbox.  Close all IE windows.  Try the
reports again in outlook.

E wrote:
> Installed CRM 3.0 on SQL 2005 SP1 on Windows SBS 2003 SP1, and am
> unable to get the reporting features to work.
>
> When viewing the http://server:5555 and clicking on reports, I get a
> popup "Error
> An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system
> administrator."
>
> I am able to access the /reports and /reportserver folders.
>
> I have done days worth of tinkering, research, reinstalls, and have not
> been able to get this working.
>
> Also when trying to access the site externally, it begins to launch, I
> login, then the page and launcher close.
>
> Any ideas?  I appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks

0
Garanimal
12/6/2006 8:33:14 PM
Also: If you launch the web version and the browser closes - its a
popup blocker thats causing you trouble. Allow the CRM site in IE, and
any Google/Yahoo toolbars, etc.

If you are using group policy you can put the crm server address in IEs
trusted sites.

E wrote:
> Installed CRM 3.0 on SQL 2005 SP1 on Windows SBS 2003 SP1, and am
> unable to get the reporting features to work.
>
> When viewing the http://server:5555 and clicking on reports, I get a
> popup "Error
> An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system
> administrator."
>
> I am able to access the /reports and /reportserver folders.
>
> I have done days worth of tinkering, research, reinstalls, and have not
> been able to get this working.
>
> Also when trying to access the site externally, it begins to launch, I
> login, then the page and launcher close.
>
> Any ideas?  I appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks

0
Garanimal
12/6/2006 8:39:26 PM
When accessing the site externally your problem is probably to do with popup
blockers. Browse to <serverurl>/loader.aspx and it should load OK.

As to the reporting issue, I'm not sure you've got a supported CRM
configuration. Is SQL 2005 on the SBS box, or a separate server ? If it's a
different server you may have delegation issues - see
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=51bf9f20-bd00-4759-8378-b38eefda7b99&displaylang=en,
and also test whether reports work when running the browser on the CRM
server. If SQL 2005 is on the SBS server, have you got the updated version
(3.0.5300.9) of the CRM software ? What was the installation sequence of
SBS, SQL, CRM and service packs ?

"E" <erichitc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Installed CRM 3.0 on SQL 2005 SP1 on Windows SBS 2003 SP1, and am
> unable to get the reporting features to work.
>
> When viewing the http://server:5555 and clicking on reports, I get a
> popup "Error
> An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system
> administrator."
>
> I am able to access the /reports and /reportserver folders.
>
> I have done days worth of tinkering, research, reinstalls, and have not
> been able to get this working.
>
> Also when trying to access the site externally, it begins to launch, I
> login, then the page and launcher close.
>
> Any ideas?  I appreciate any help.
>
> Thanks

0
David
12/6/2006 8:54:10 PM
- External access - IE native popup blocker was the culprit - added the
domain, works fine now
- "Reports" error - same error when viewing on the server under the
admin account

Installed on one physical machine: SBS 2003 > SQL 2005 > SQL 2005 SP1 >
CRM  3.0.5300.0 (downloaded last week - where is an update?)
"Enable Integrated Windows Authentication" is checked in IE.

Thanks for your help

On Dec 6, 3:54 pm, "David Jennaway" <davidjenna...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> When accessing the site externally your problem is probably to do with popup
> blockers. Browse to <serverurl>/loader.aspx and it should load OK.
>
> As to the reporting issue, I'm not sure you've got a supported CRM
> configuration. Is SQL 2005 on the SBS box, or a separate server ? If it's a
> different server you may have delegation issues - seehttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=51bf9f20-bd0...,
> and also test whether reports work when running the browser on the CRM
> server. If SQL 2005 is on the SBS server, have you got the updated version
> (3.0.5300.9) of the CRM software ? What was the installation sequence of
> SBS, SQL, CRM and service packs ?
>
> "E" <erich...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:1165436502.743174.231470@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com...
>
> > Installed CRM 3.0 on SQL 2005 SP1 on Windows SBS 2003 SP1, and am
> > unable to get the reporting features to work.
>
> > When viewing thehttp://server:5555and clicking on reports, I get a
> > popup "Error
> > An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system
> > administrator."
>
> > I am able to access the /reports and /reportserver folders.
>
> > I have done days worth of tinkering, research, reinstalls, and have not
> > been able to get this working.
>
> > Also when trying to access the site externally, it begins to launch, I
> > login, then the page and launcher close.
>
> > Any ideas?  I appreciate any help.
>
> > Thanks

Which edition of SQL 2005 are you using - if it's Workgroup Edition then the
problem is most likely to be that Workgroup Edition doesn't support
snapshots; the following describes a hotfix (although it refers explicitly
to SBS 2003 R2 it would probably apply to your scenario)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923387.

Did you install Reporting Services as part of the SQL 2005 install, or
during the CRM install ? I think it'll only work with SQL 2005 if you
install Reporting Services as part of the SQL 2005 install

I got the version 3.0.5300.9 files from the trial version
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7d418781-69ad-422d-92fa-87fdb2538e2c&DisplayLang=en).
You can use live license keys with this

Hope this helps

>- External access - IE native popup blocker was the culprit - added the
> domain, works fine now
> - "Reports" error - same error when viewing on the server under the
> admin account
>
> Installed on one physical machine: SBS 2003 > SQL 2005 > SQL 2005 SP1 >
> CRM  3.0.5300.0 (downloaded last week - where is an update?)
> "Enable Integrated Windows Authentication" is checked in IE.
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> On Dec 6, 3:54 pm, "David Jennaway" <davidjenna...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> When accessing the site externally your problem is probably to do with
>> popup
>> blockers. Browse to <serverurl>/loader.aspx and it should load OK.
>>
>> As to the reporting issue, I'm not sure you've got a supported CRM
>> configuration. Is SQL 2005 on the SBS box, or a separate server ? If it's
>> different server you may have delegation issues -
>> seehttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=51bf9f20-bd0...,
>> and also test whether reports work when running the browser on the CRM
>> server. If SQL 2005 is on the SBS server, have you got the updated
>> version
>> (3.0.5300.9) of the CRM software ? What was the installation sequence of
>> SBS, SQL, CRM and service packs ?
>>
>> "E" <erich...@gmail.com> wrote in
>> messagenews:1165436502.743174.231470@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com...
>>
>> > Installed CRM 3.0 on SQL 2005 SP1 on Windows SBS 2003 SP1, and am
>> > unable to get the reporting features to work.
>>
>> > When viewing thehttp://server:5555and clicking on reports, I get a
>> > popup "Error
>> > An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system
>> > administrator."
>>
>> > I am able to access the /reports and /reportserver folders.
>>
>> > I have done days worth of tinkering, research, reinstalls, and have not
>> > been able to get this working.
>>
>> > Also when trying to access the site externally, it begins to launch, I
>> > login, then the page and launcher close.
>>
>> > Any ideas?  I appreciate any help.
>>
>> > Thanks

0
David
12/6/2006 9:29:50 PM
I'm using SQL 2005 Standard Edition, reporting services installed
during the SQL install.

So I have to reinstall CRM every time they release an update?  And the
MS CRM trial download site (from where I got the 3.0.5300.0 last week)
does not display the any version history, so I do not know that the
image that I would have to redownload and reinstall will be newer.

What a disappointment Microsoft CRM has been so far.

On Dec 6, 4:29 pm, "David Jennaway" <davidjenna...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Which edition of SQL 2005 are you using - if it's Workgroup Edition then the
> problem is most likely to be that Workgroup Edition doesn't support
> snapshots; the following describes a hotfix (although it refers explicitly
> to SBS 2003 R2 it would probably apply to your scenario)http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923387.
>
> Did you install Reporting Services as part of the SQL 2005 install, or
> during the CRM install ? I think it'll only work with SQL 2005 if you
> install Reporting Services as part of the SQL 2005 install
>
> I got the version 3.0.5300.9 files from the trial version
> (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7d418781-69a...).
> You can use live license keys with this
>
> Hope this helps
>
> "E" <erich...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:1165439579.941955.139910@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com...
>
> >- External access - IE native popup blocker was the culprit - added the
> > domain, works fine now
> > - "Reports" error - same error when viewing on the server under the
> > admin account
>
> > Installed on one physical machine: SBS 2003 > SQL 2005 > SQL 2005 SP1 >
> > CRM  3.0.5300.0 (downloaded last week - where is an update?)
> > "Enable Integrated Windows Authentication" is checked in IE.
>
> > Thanks for your help
>
> > On Dec 6, 3:54 pm, "David Jennaway" <davidjenna...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >> When accessing the site externally your problem is probably to do with
> >> popup
> >> blockers. Browse to <serverurl>/loader.aspx and it should load OK.
>
> >> As to the reporting issue, I'm not sure you've got a supported CRM
> >> configuration. Is SQL 2005 on the SBS box, or a separate server ? If it's
> >> different server you may have delegation issues -
> >> seehttp://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=51bf9f20-bd0...,
> >> and also test whether reports work when running the browser on the CRM
> >> server. If SQL 2005 is on the SBS server, have you got the updated
> >> version
> >> (3.0.5300.9) of the CRM software ? What was the installation sequence of
> >> SBS, SQL, CRM and service packs ?
>
> >> "E" <erich...@gmail.com> wrote in
> >> messagenews:1165436502.743174.231470@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.com...

I still haven't been able to solve this.  Any other ideas?

On Dec 6, 5:04 pm, "E" <erich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using SQL 2005 Standard Edition, reporting services installed
> during the SQL install.
>
> So I have to reinstall CRM every time they release an update?  And the
> MS CRM trial download site (from where I got the 3.0.5300.0 last week)
> does not display the any version history, so I do not know that the
> image that I would have to redownload and reinstall will be newer.
>
> What a disappointment Microsoft CRM has been so far.
>
> On Dec 6, 4:29 pm, "David Jennaway" <davidjenna...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Which edition of SQL 2005 are you using - if it's Workgroup Edition then the
> > problem is most likely to be that Workgroup Edition doesn't support
> > snapshots; the following describes a hotfix (although it refers explicitly
> > to SBS 2003 R2 it would probably apply to your scenario)http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923387.
>
> > Did you install Reporting Services as part of the SQL 2005 install, or
> > during the CRM install ? I think it'll only work with SQL 2005 if you
> > install Reporting Services as part of the SQL 2005 install
>
> > I got the version 3.0.5300.9 files from the trial version
> > (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7d418781-69a...).
> > You can use live license keys with this
>
> > Hope this helps
>
> > "E" <erich...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:1165439579.941955.139910@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com...
>
> > >- External access - IE native popup blocker was the culprit - added the
> > > domain, works fine now
> > > - "Reports" error - same error when viewing on the server under the
> > > admin account
>
> > > Installed on one physical machine: SBS 2003 > SQL 2005 > SQL 2005 SP1 >
> > > CRM  3.0.5300.0 (downloaded last week - where is an update?)
> > > "Enable Integrated Windows Authentication" is checked in IE.
>
> > > Thanks for your help

Altho you cant really tell, there is a more specific error thats
generated to the WWW logs on  whatever machine is hosting the crm
website.  Pour through those to get an idea of what the real cause of
the problem is.

You said that in a browser you can surf to the sqlmachine/reports
folder successfully? But from within the CRM website or outlook you
cannot? That still sounds like an authentication issue between CRM and
Reporting Services.

E wrote:
> I still haven't been able to solve this.  Any other ideas?
>
> On Dec 6, 5:04 pm, "E" <erich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm using SQL 2005 Standard Edition, reporting services installed
> > during the SQL install.
> >
> > So I have to reinstall CRM every time they release an update?  And the
> > MS CRM trial download site (from where I got the 3.0.5300.0 last week)
> > does not display the any version history, so I do not know that the
> > image that I would have to redownload and reinstall will be newer.
> >
> > What a disappointment Microsoft CRM has been so far.
> >
> > On Dec 6, 4:29 pm, "David Jennaway" <davidjenna...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Which edition of SQL 2005 are you using - if it's Workgroup Edition then the
> > > problem is most likely to be that Workgroup Edition doesn't support
> > > snapshots; the following describes a hotfix (although it refers explicitly
> > > to SBS 2003 R2 it would probably apply to your scenario)http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923387.
> >
> > > Did you install Reporting Services as part of the SQL 2005 install, or
> > > during the CRM install ? I think it'll only work with SQL 2005 if you
> > > install Reporting Services as part of the SQL 2005 install
> >
> > > I got the version 3.0.5300.9 files from the trial version
> > > (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7d418781-69a...).
> > > You can use live license keys with this
> >
> > > Hope this helps

0
Garanimal
12/7/2006 7:17:12 PM
Ok, thanks for the reply.  How should it authenticating, and where is
this configured, in IIS?

On Dec 7, 2:17 pm, "Garanimal" <garanima...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Altho you cant really tell, there is a more specific error thats
> generated to the WWW logs on  whatever machine is hosting the crm
> website.  Pour through those to get an idea of what the real cause of
> the problem is.
>
> You said that in a browser you can surf to the sqlmachine/reports
> folder successfully? But from within the CRM website or outlook you
> cannot? That still sounds like an authentication issue between CRM and
> Reporting Services.

> E wrote:
> > I still haven't been able to solve this.  Any other ideas?
>
> > On Dec 6, 5:04 pm, "E" <erich...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm using SQL 2005 Standard Edition, reporting services installed
> > > during the SQL install.
>
> > > So I have to reinstall CRM every time they release an update?  And the
> > > MS CRM trial download site (from where I got the 3.0.5300.0 last week)
> > > does not display the any version history, so I do not know that the
> > > image that I would have to redownload and reinstall will be newer.
>
> > > What a disappointment Microsoft CRM has been so far.

By default the logs will be in \windows\system32\logfiles but this can be
changed in the web site properties in the IIS admin tool. There's one folder
per web site, of the format W3SVC... Look for lines with a connection to
/reportserver, and post some here if you want help interpreting them

The other thing you can do to get more info is to enable DevErrors, which
you can do by editing the web.config file in the root of the CRM web site,
and changing the DevErrors element from Off to On. You should then get more
information when browsing to the reports folder in CRM

> Ok, thanks for the reply.  How should it authenticating, and where is
> this configured, in IIS?
>
> On Dec 7, 2:17 pm, "Garanimal" <garanima...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Altho you cant really tell, there is a more specific error thats
>> generated to the WWW logs on  whatever machine is hosting the crm
>> website.  Pour through those to get an idea of what the real cause of
>> the problem is.
>>
>> You said that in a browser you can surf to the sqlmachine/reports
>> folder successfully? But from within the CRM website or outlook you
>> cannot? That still sounds like an authentication issue between CRM and
>> Reporting Services.

>> E wrote:
>> > I still haven't been able to solve this.  Any other ideas?

0
David
12/7/2006 9:03:14 PM
You could try to turn the devErrors ON...and then check for the file that CRM
tries to load when you click on Reports. Possibly the reports.config and
reports.xsd file are missing from the location where it is searching for.

"David Jennaway" wrote:

> By default the logs will be in \windows\system32\logfiles but this can be
> changed in the web site properties in the IIS admin tool. There's one folder
> per web site, of the format W3SVC... Look for lines with a connection to
> /reportserver, and post some here if you want help interpreting them
>
> The other thing you can do to get more info is to enable DevErrors, which
> you can do by editing the web.config file in the root of the CRM web site,
> and changing the DevErrors element from Off to On. You should then get more
> information when browsing to the reports folder in CRM
>

> "E" <erichitc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > Ok, thanks for the reply.  How should it authenticating, and where is
> > this configured, in IIS?
> >
> > On Dec 7, 2:17 pm, "Garanimal" <garanima...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Altho you cant really tell, there is a more specific error thats
> >> generated to the WWW logs on  whatever machine is hosting the crm
> >> website.  Pour through those to get an idea of what the real cause of
> >> the problem is.
> >>
> >> You said that in a browser you can surf to the sqlmachine/reports
> >> folder successfully? But from within the CRM website or outlook you
> >> cannot? That still sounds like an authentication issue between CRM and
> >> Reporting Services.

CRM 3.0 and Microsoft VPC Help
Forum Members: I am trying to install Microsoft CRM 3.0 (VPC) and Microsoft VPC 5.3.582.45. I can't figure out how to get the CRM image up and running. My CRM files are loaded on an external hard drive. Please help! Thanks, Casey Please clarify: The CRM 3.0 VPC expired on 11/30/2008 Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 Virtual PC Demonstration - August 2007 Release: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=57394BC8-5ECC-422E-A066-34189F48F8C8&displaylang=en Directions: For the VPC documentation and demonstration materials: download the VPC Documentation and Demonstrati...

Reporting from Project Server

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Installation 11-08-07

NDRs forwarding to external contact

Unable to delete empty database

Document Viewer installer error

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

Emails #3

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Error 550 Relaying denied

learning Excel #3

CRM and Outlook Integration 07-22-03

number format with leading 0

HOWTO: Customizing CRM

Access to User Calendar

CRM menu is dim
The "CRM" menu pad in my Outlook client is dim (disabled). Does this mean my CRM 3.0 client is not functional. I got the message following message after installing the 3.0 client for Outlook: "An error occurred loading Microsoft CRM functionality. Try restarting Microsoft Outlook. Contact your system administrator if errors persist." Many thanks for anybody who can help. KM Most of the time, in my experience, this means that it cannot connect to the CRM server. Do you have a connection to the CRM server? Try browsing to http://<yourcrmserver>/mscrmservices/20...